New Balance (Ranked #1)

Due to my extreme success with Little Cup stall, I told myself I'd never to back to where my true roots lie: balance. I was wrong though...stall wasn't effective anymore. Everyone had memorized my exact team to the letter. I knew it was time.

So, I've been pretty successful with this team.

This team has only lost once, actually, when it was swept by Guts Dragon Dance Larvitar...

That thing is so overpowered...

Anyway, I won't bore you anymore.

I present to you, New Balance!
. . . . . . . . . .

Exeggcute (M) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

Exeggcute is my goto guy. He can either be a vicious sweeper with Leaf Storm and Psychic as excellent coverage moves in this metagame, or useful to sleep certain threats. Oran Berry might seem a little strange at first glance, but it works perfectly in conjunction with Harvest and Substitute. There is a reason I am running full Speed on Exeggcute: Substitute. Usually, after two Substitute, it will have regained its Oran Berry, so any time Exeggcute wants to heal against I faster opponent, it can just Substitute. The lack of Eviolite isn't even missed anyway; Exeggcute has over a 25% chance of surviving unboosted Scraggy's Crunch. It won't, however, be beating Scraggy 1v1 unless Scraggy switches in on an un-reduced Leaf Storm while Exeggcute is behind a Substitute.
. . . . . . . . . .

Gastly (M) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball

Nobody realizes it, but this set is extremely similar to Exeggcute's. In fact, if you compared the two in battle, you'd realize that this is just a more offensively oriented version of Exeggcute! Anyway, standard Gastly works the same as it always does. It can revenge kill with powerful moves, completely check Mienfoo, just plain wreak havoc. Sludge Bomb is the main STAB move of choice, and it always 2HKOs Scraggy with Spikes, meaning if Gastly is behind a Substitute and Shelmet has been doing its job, Scraggy stands no chance. Shadow Ball is for secondary STAB, and mainly hits other Gastly. Since this team has slight problems with Gastly, I like to keep mine behind a Substitute at all times. Unfortunately, I can't afford to use Choice Scarf because I need the coverage so other Gastly can't switch in on me.
. . . . . . . . . .

Mienfoo (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 Atk / 196 Def / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off

There are really only three types of Mienfoo in Little Cup: Defensive, bulky, and offensive. I took the bulky route. I also decided to use double Fighting-type STAB; Hi Jump Kick for its sheer power and Drain Punch for its healing capabilities. Knock Off isn't new either; get rid of Eviolite and make it easy to sweep. Without Eviolite, Mienfoo can pretty much streamroll teams with Hi Jump Kick, making it a potent threat. U-turn is good for scouting and causing some damage on the switchout. Shelmet is usually a more reliable Scraggy check than Mienfoo, but Mienfoo checks Head Smash variants hard and also has a much easier time killing it than Shelmet, who must rely on the weak Bug Buzz. Mienfoo also finds chances for teammates such as Exeggcute, Omanyte, and Gastly to set up by luring in its checks and U-turning out to a Pokemon that can set up on them.
. . . . . . . . . .

Shelmet (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Recover
- Acid Armor

I don't know what it's doing in that gif, but Shelmet is really cool. Since Exeggcute and Gastly cause a ton of switches with Sleep Powder, Hypnosis, and being all-around annoying to the other team, Spikes are ideal. Also, Scraggy gets a ton of chances to set up against the likes of Gastly, Exeggcute, and Omanyte if I predict a Fighting-type move, so having a surefire counter is great. Not only does Shelmet completely demolish Scraggy, but it beats Mienfoo, Timburr, and the whole gang. Bug Buzz, while weak, is a good attacking move because it's consistent and can lower the opponent's Special Defense, usually letting Shelmet win stall wars. I have been thinking of using Hidden Power Flying, but that requires I drop a Defense point for Special Attack, which I'm not sure if I want to do, and lets Shelmet beat Ferroseed and others. Recover and Acid Armor are to beat physical walls, and they work exactly how they're supposed to.
. . . . . . . . . .

Omanyte (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass
- Shell Smash

I can't really explain what Omanyte is doing in that gif! It's an excellent sweeper, though. This guy is notorious for taking out whole teams, and he does it so well! What always happens is I come in on a Pokemon who isn't a threat at all or get Encore support form Wynaut, then set up Shell Smash and wreak havoc. Surf, Ice Beam, and Hidden Power Grass are all excellent coverage moves, as they hit every Pokemon in Little Cup at least neutrally. Omanyte hits an extremely pleasing 18 Special Attack, 14 Speed, 17 Defense, and other great stats, making it very easy to both set up and sweep. It also provides a crucial Flying resistance, as Flying-type Pokemon would otherwise destroy my team (except Wynaut, but it can't switch in to Doduo's Brave Bird).
. . . . . . . . . .

Wynaut (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 212 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Mirror Coat

Most teams have that one Pokemon that blocks a guaranteed sweep, and Wynaut's job is to kill it. Mostly, Wynaut cleared the path for Omanyte to sweep by getting rid of things like Frillish (or Encoring Will-O-Wisp so Omanyte can Shell Smash twice and sweep). Its role is very arbitrary, but it always does it well. Counter and Mirror Coat are a must on standard Wynaut so it can beat both physical and special attackers. Encore is to lock the opponent into their attack so they can either be KOed by Wynaut or set up on by Omanyte or Exeggcute. Destiny Bond is my main way of beating Gastly, and it works well. Shadow Ball does 66% to Wynaut, so if one of my Pokemon is asleep, I can force Gastly to either KO itself by KOing Wynaut or lock itself into Substitute, which is where my own Gastly can beat it. All-in-all, Wynaut is a great teammate and my team's best utility.
. . . . . . . . . .
Exeggcute (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 196 SAtk / 196 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

Gastly (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 196 SAtk / 196 Spd
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball

Mienfoo (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 156 Atk / 196 Def / 156 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Shelmet (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Recover
- Acid Armor

Omanyte (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SAtk / 236 Spd
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash

Wynaut (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 212 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Mirror Coat

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Its surprises me that nobody has commented this o.o

One of the best LC teams around there, i remember battling this team a long time ago, i remember getting my drifloon killed by wynaut-i missclicked the second attack and lose because it :( Ah, and i also remember my chinchou beated omanyte lol.

Not much to suggest though, but it seems like Drifloon and Gastly, if played well, can rip holes around your team.

PS: i know, this post was created 2 months ago, but it was such a shame this team was without any comments o.o

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty new to BW LC but I just wanted to comment and say marvelous team :)

It's offensive synergy is obvious and I must say I love the Wynaut support for Omanyte. Seems odd but I can't remember seeing a Wynaut in any games or any RMTs which seems just wrong. Brb making a Wynaut team :D

Really nice team, I can see, even though I've been out of the loop for quite a while (I had more written, but apparently Firefox decided to go back a page).

I assume that you're not really sacrificing Omantye that easily against teams with Doduo, but he may cause some general problems with no Rocks. Unfortunately, I can really only see Wynaut being replaced, but I think Pawniard would be great on this team. He'll take Brave Birds like a boss (I assume, but like I said, I've been out awhile) and set up a Swords Dance on the switch. He's a nice revenge killer and he's going to do a hefty chunk to anything, really. Of course, this would probably ruin your Omanyte sweeps and I think those are a tad bit more important than definitely checking Doduo and the like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)