Chicagoland Area VGC/Smash Bros. Tournament/Meetup Interest Thead

Hey guys, this thread will serve as the initial organization and discussion thread for a potential Chicagoland tournament/meetup hosted by yours truly. Here's what's up

Tournament Name: I'm under a working title of Bearsfest, but if anyone has a cool name, let me know.

My house in scenic Woodridge, IL. Address to be posted once we confirm we're doing this. For reference, it's about 45 minutes away from Chicago.

Games:
Pokemon Black and White 2. Pokemon Black and White 1 are acceptable, but discouraged.
Super Smash Bros. We must decide as a community whether we will play Melee, Project: M, or Brawl. I favor Melee and Project:M. Due to space and time constraints, we will only have time for one Smash tournament.

Potential Date windows:
December 16th-23rd or December 26th to 29th.

Extremely Tentative schedule for tournament day:
10 AM- Doors open for open gaming
12- 3 PM- Smash Doubles
4 - 7 PM - Smash Singles
8 - 11 PM - Pokemon VGC Tournament
(Maybe) Midnight- Group laser tag game.

If enough people are willing, I'd love to organize an excursion downtown where we can just chill. I want this to be the third chillest Pokemon event of the year, behind Nats and Worlds.

Rules:
Smash: No matter the game, the ruleset will be the same as used at a tournament I attended, which can be found at http://www.smashboar...ad.php?t=326760.
Pokemon: Whatever the most recent official VGC rules are. If somehow we're stuck on VGC 2012, that's what we'll play. However, I anticipate new rules being released by then.

Prizes:
If we are going to have prizes, I'm gonna have to charge a tournament fee. I'm probably going to charge 5 dollars per person per tournament. This means a team for doubles will pay ten total. I am in favor of having prizes, but if you all just want a casual tournament, I'm all for it. As far as payouts are concerned, I'm thinking it should be 60-30-10 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively for each tournament.

Housing:
I would rather not house people at my home considering it's my parents' home. However, especially for people potentially coming from a distance, we can work something out. I will not charge anyone for staying out my house if it comes to that.

Food:
I will be buying pizza at no cost to anyone playing in a tournament. The pizza will be around for anyone to consume from about 12 PM on. For dinner, I'm thinking about ordering Jimmy John's sandwiches. Gimme your order and the money for it, and I'll place the order for you. If you bring a full setup, your Jimmy John's is on me.

Setups:
I currently have a Wii, a pretty lagless projector, and a CRT. We'll need more setups, but exactly how much depends on possible attendance. A full setup consists of a Wii/Cube (if Melee), an adequately completed save file, and a low input lag TV. This generally will mean a CRT. If you don't have access to a CRT and we're hurting for setups, we will accept other varieties of TVs (LCD, etc). Bringing a full setup gets you free Jimmy John's on me.

Streaming:
At least one game from every round of every tournament will be streamed either to Nugget Bridge's channel (preferred for viewership), or to my own personal channel. I do have a capture card, so I can stream Smash Bros, and I do have stream capabilities for the DS.

Tentative guest list (tell me if you'd like to be added to the list):
bearsfan092
FonicFrog/Sixonesix/whatever he's calling himself now
hydro26
Kappy

TELL YOUR FRIENDS. If they play VGC or are willing to, INVITE THEM and let me know if they're coming. Once we settle on a Smash game, tell your friends that play that game to come too. I don't care if they're real life friends, Nugget Bridge, Smogon, Gamefaqs. As long as they're chill, all are welcome.

I need an idea of numbers too. I can't have this get too big as well, considering it's just my humble abode.

If there's anything I'm forgetting, please let me know.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ugh, why isnt this being held in the state of Washington? my state. bears i'll bring cookies if you move things to my state

Edit: i'll also hold back and promise to only win in vgc and laser tag

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)