XY NU Based Shedinja and Wigglytuff :] (Peak #9 1601 Elo)

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Proof of ladder (I hit #9 and lost the puush, so here I am at #17 lol): http://puu.sh/blBte.jpg

Based Shedinja and Wigglytuff :]

What is up guys --Steven here-- and I'm going to be bringing you a Shedinja RMT today (I had to do it). :]​

So, I got inspiration to use Shedinja in NU from my good friend DMT, who got into the top 10 of UU with Shedinja. Shedinja is a highly underrated threat in the NU metagame, as it can wall a large portion of offensive threats (I'll get into that in the RMT). In addition, one of the things that I love about NU is that almost anything can be made viable because the tier is so diverse. My basic teambuilding process was, Shedinja + Hazard Avoidance core + a defensive hazard stack core. Hazard stack + Shedinja is amazing if the opponent is utilizing a defogger, because it forces them to Defog and keep your Sheddy alive (if they got up hazards too). Also Wigglytuff is based.

Let's get on to the team. :]

I Love You :S (Shedinja) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak

Shedinja is a lord. Let me name a few Pokemon in the tier that cannot touch it: Feraligatr, Kangashkan, Vileplume (non-HP fire), Dragalge, Seismitoad (knock off), Cryogonal (unless random knock off), Xatu, Gorebyss, HP Ice Lilligant, Accelgor, Jynx, Klinklang, Ludicolo, and Samurott.

This being said, the key to using Shedinja is scouting. DMT gave me the excellent idea of running Protect on Shedinja. Protect allows you to scout what the opponent is going to do to touch your Shedinja. It's basically wonderful, and makes keeping Sheddy alive much easier. In addition, Shedinja works great as a late game sweeper once it's counters are removed. (Watch out for Rocky Helmet BS)

Things that can kill Sheddy:
Hazards
Random Garbage Coverage (Knock Off Cryogonal)
Status (Mostly Toxic)
Leech Seed
Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet
Mold Breaker Sawk

HairOnMyHead (Wigglytuff) @ Power Herb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat

Three words: Anti Lead Wigglytuff.

Wigglytuff is part one of the hazard avoidance core. Magic Coat allows Wigglytuff to bounce hazards and other garbage that would prevent Shedinja from living. Stealth Rock because we want our own hazards.

Relevant Calcs:

252+ SpA Wigglytuff Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Seismitoad: 372-440 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Wigglytuff Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 348-410 (98.3 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Wigglytuff Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 360-428 (86.9 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Wigglytuff Solar Beam vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 252-298 (77.5 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These calcs show basically the worst case scenario for common Stealth Rockers in the tier that Solarbeam lets you hit (You can also hit Feraligatr that tries to set up on you).
Fire Blast is great coverage that lets you hit common switch-ins like Vileplume.

Replay of NU Open match where Wiggly goes nuts:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-21463

Bounce. (Xatu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam / Giga Drain
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Xatu is part two of the hazard avoidance core. Magic Bounce is an ability that bounces back the opponent's status and hazard moves (ie Toxic or Stealth Rock). This makes Xatu an absolutely perfect partner with Shedinja, as it is the only Pokemon in the tier that gets Magic Bounce. The EV spread is pretty straightforward, and is designed to keep Xatu alive as long as possible to bounce hazards. In addition, Xatu is excellent at breaking down stall teams as most of their means of offense involves hazards and residual from status. Dazzling Gleam isn't as necessary since Spiritomb left the tier, so Giga Drain can be used instead.

Important: Risk Xatu at ALL costs. You MUST prevent hazards.
(unless Shedinja isn't that useful in that game)

fingerscrossed? (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Heavy Slam

Hariyama is one of my favorite Pokemon in the current NU metagame, and it has amazing type synergy with Shedinja, as it can cover its Dark and Fire weaknesses, and Shedinja can cover its Psychic weakness. Hariyama is probably the best bulky pivot in the tier, and with Guts it can abuse the status moves aimed at Shedinja. Close Combat and Knock Off are givens on Yama, but I'd like to explain the last two move slots. Normally Hariyama runs at least one form of priority (Fake Out/Bullet Punch), but I found that the team didn't really need it since it's more of a bulky offense team. Ice Punch allows Hariyama to beat the Vileplumes and Dragalges that switch in on this mon. Heavy Slam lets Yama act as a second way to beat Slurpuff (Garbodor is the first), and it 2HKOs Granbull on the switch in. The EVs are for power and bulk, the speed is just for creeping other Hariyamas.

MegaTeamPlayer (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off

Seismitoad has amazing synergy with the rest of the team (*cough cough* I don't lose to Kabutops now *cough cough*). It acts as a secondary way to beat fire spam, and beats bulky ground types that would give the team trouble otherwise (I'm looking at you Rhydon). Seismitoad works well to beat a lot of things that the team struggles with if Sheddy dies, like Feraligatr. Seismitoad is the glue to the team, and just has amazing bulk/type synergy with the rest of the team. Scald is there for reliable STAB (and burns). Grass Knot guarentees that I beat Kabutops 1v1, and Earthquake hits Dragalge. The last slot is dependent on whether you want to hit random stuff with toxic, or random stuff with Knock Off, comes down to preference. :S

Gabbage (Garbodor) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

The hazard stack is strong. :] Garbodor really helps a lot with common mons that can give this team trouble (ie Fighting Types + Pawniard). In addition, the residual from Rocky Helmet + Aftermath can really wear down potential threats to this team. The moveset and EVs are very standard, so I don't really have too much to say about that, but the synergy it provides is excellent. Spikes and Toxic Spikes put pressure on the opponent to spin or Defog, wearing down the opponent and helping to keep your own Shedinja alive. Garbodor is a highly underrated Pokemon in this meta, and deserves attention. :]

Threat List:

Rock Types with Rock STAB + Stealth Rock. zzzzzzzzz
Sandslash
Physical Aurorus
Random Coverage moves
Mesprit
Playing poorly :[

Thanks for reading my RMT! This team is very fun/hard to use, and it actually was much more successful that I ever could have imagined. If you want to use the team, a pastebin will be below (please keep the nicknames when you use the team).

pastebin: http://pastebin.com/Z9kQjNdX

Bye guys~

Last edited:
Hey goomy nice team :]. One thing i might think about changing is making Hariyama Thick fat > Guts. While it is nice to have a status absorber on a team based around shedinja, when i look at your team, it really gets smashed by fire spam. While seismitoad is a decent answer to firespam, it gets worn down rather quickly and gets 2 hit ko'ed by specs pyroar hyper voice, and one shot by HP grass. And besides toad, you really have no switch in to strong fire type attacks. Just a thought, and nice team!

Oof nice n' shedinja team.
When I first used this team, I lost, got mad, and quit. I lost because I let hazards get up thinking I'd just remove them later on, and then realized nothing on your team can do that. But I see now the light now. Hazard stack -> opponent defogs for you. I like.

This team is based. You know better than me that this team works, although flying spam can pretty much run through you, which can be annoying. You could probably try Swords Dance Pawniard over Wigglytuff and throw Rocks onto Seismitoad, but that Wigglytuff set is pretty Cute. Pawniard still helps you check the Dark and Ghost types that trouble your team, but it gives you some flexibility from stuff like Burd, which could help you out a bit as well as protecting your hazards. P cool team though.

Oh on CM Xatu run Heat Wave and 172 Speed, as that lets you outspeed base 85 mons like Sawk as well as smash steel types.

hey goomy fren :] nice team (HEIL SHEDDY) I have one suggestion tho that you change your current seismitoad set to a mixed defensive one as this allows to better check magmortar and co while still remaining as a good ground and rock type check and allows you to run guts over thick fat on hariyama.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Hope This Helps :] also I'm too lazy to get sprites sue me plz

I've always loved shedinja.This team looks very fun and very good. Only thing I would change is guts->thick fat since fire Also maybe play around with wigglytuff's set.

BTW watch out for those physical aurorus's

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oof nice n' shedinja team.
When I first used this team, I lost, got mad, and quit. I lost because I let hazards get up thinking I'd just remove them later on, and then realized nothing on your team can do that. But I see now the light now. Hazard stack -> opponent defogs for you. I like.
Also while it isnt a 100% fool proof strategy, Xatu tends to keep most hazard setters from setting up rocks/spikes/tspikes. So if you use this team in the future send in Xatu on the predicted rocks and run balloon to avoid spikes.

Also while it isnt a 100% fool proof strategy, Xatu tends to keep most hazard setters from setting up rocks/spikes/tspikes. So if you use this team in the future send in Xatu on the predicted rocks and run balloon to avoid spikes.

Ye xatu in NU has the same issue it has in UU; most SR setters are, well, rock type.
But yeah I agree with balloon shedinja sounds like new meta to me.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ye xatu in NU has the same issue it has in UU; most SR setters are, well, rock type.
But yeah I agree with balloon shedinja sounds like new meta to me.
Most of the rock setters out there can't actually OHKO defensive Xatu, some of them like Crustle have a chance to with 5 hits of rock blast max attack adamant. But they have to predict the switch, actually hit their rock move, and then get max damage / max hits or a crit. Odds are in Xatu's favor to switch in, not to mention if you are running giga drain you can easily beat a lot of the quad weak to grass rock setters out there. Difference from UU is a power one which is why Xatu fairs a lot better down in NU.

Reactions: DMT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)