anyone play magic?

okay so i'm being a classical idiot and planning on making all 1,008+ Pokemon into Magic the Gathering cards because why the hell not.

here's a slight preview that's actually not part of the set, it's a seperate project lmao

gonna list the compleated(get it?) mons on this post for now:

Bulbasaur (1G)
Creature - Plant Beast
Chlorophyll - When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay {G}. If you do, it gains haste.
(1/2)
Ivysaur (2G)
Creature - Plant Beast
Next Evolution - 1G: If you control and own a card named Bulbasaur, you may exile it. If you do, you may cast this spell for its Next Evolution cost, and it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. Counters placed on Bulbasaur previously are also applied.
Chlorophyll - When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay {G}. If you do, it gains haste.
Grass Pledge - {T}: Ivysaur deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker. If you used the Fire Pledge or Water Pledge abilities last turn or this turn, it deals 6 damage to any target instead.
(3/3)
Venusaur (3GG)
Creature - Plant Beast
Next Evolution - 2G: If you control and own a card named Ivysaur, you may exile it. If you do, you may cast this spell for its Next Evolution cost, and it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. Counters placed on Ivysaur previously are also applied.
Frenzy Plant - 3G, {T}: Venusaur deals 5 damage to all creatures your opponents control, then Venusaur gains a stun counter.
(4/5)
Charmander (1R)
Creature - Lizard
Blaze - When this creature takes damage equal to its toughness minus 1, it gets +3/+0 until your next end step.
2/2
Charmeleon (RRR)
Creature - Lizard
Next Evolution - 1R: If you control and own a card named Charmander, you may exile it. If you do, you may cast this spell for its Next Evolution cost, and it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. Counters placed on Charmander previously are also applied.
Blaze - When this creature takes damage equal to its toughness minus 1, it gets +3/+0 until your next end step.
Fire Pledge - {T}: Charmeleon deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker. If you used the Grass Pledge or Water Pledge abilities last turn or this turn, it deals 6 damage to any target instead.
4/3
Charizard (2RRR)
Creature - Dragon (LETS FUCKING GO HE FINALLY DID IT)
Flying
Next Evolution - 2RR: If you control and own a card named Charmeleon, you may exile it. If you do, you may cast this spell for its Next Evolution cost, and it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. Counters placed on Charmander previously are also applied.
Blast Burn - Charizard deals 5 damage to all creatures your opponents control, then Charizard gains a stun counter.
6/4

Last edited:
I am a casual enjoyer of magic, haven't ever actually done a game though. All the cards I own are also from... 2018? Idk, it was the egyptian/desert themed expansion and the one just before that. I'm pretty excited to see this though, if there's any way I can help please let me know.

I am a casual enjoyer of magic, haven't ever actually done a game though. All the cards I own are also from... 2018? Idk, it was the egyptian/desert themed expansion and the one just before that. I'm pretty excited to see this though, if there's any way I can help please let me know.
picking abilities and moves to implement would be a life-saver, it saves me a ton of work in the long run xD

I've considered getting into MTG which because of my criteria for getting into a large tabletop game means I know more rules than is reasonable for someone who's never played.

Pokken feels like a good inspiration for relevant mons, since I feel it does a good job of translating a mon's playstyle to a different format. Off the top of my head, Gardevoir runs CM/Stored Power, Chandelure Will-o-wisp/Hex, Scizor SD/bullet punch, and Empoleon has spare HM usage.

I feel like it's a good idea to figure out common mechanics that need to get added. I'm not actually convinced that includes typing. Very few mons directly interact with typing as a whole, and the method isn't really shared between them (Genesect has an attack, Porygon a status move, Kecleon two abilities with different triggers). Here's my list of what to consider:

1. Major status: Poison/Paralysis/etc.. Probably needs to be handled with counters applied to creatures. You might be able to work Sleep/Freeze (not that anything specializes in the latter) into the tapped state, Burn can be a power reduction, and I think Last Strike was a thing in some un-set but seems like it would work fine in regular play. That leaves Poison left, and I don't have a great idea for it. I'm aware poison counters exist, but they do something completely different and MTG isn't really set up for damage-over-time.
  2. Weather/terrain. The default effect could probably be wrapped into the setter's text, but it gets awkward once we bring in abusers (which will happen with the Paradox mons, among others). The most direct translation would be to create something (token enchantments?) for the conditions that the abusers can point to, but that feels clunky. Should the abusers then
    • reference the setters by name (while a card named Miraidon, Iron Serpent is on the battlefield ...)?
    • reference the ability (while a creature with Drought is on the battlefield ...)?
    • reference the effect the weather/terrain provides (While [self] has vigilance ..., assuming sleep=tap so electric terrain=no sleep=doesn't tap)?
  3. Entry hazards. This could just be my personal bias, but I expect this would be unavoidable for Kleavor, Samurott-H, and Glimmora even if you found a way around the likes of Skarmory and Forretress. Given cards like Caltrops hit attacking creatures, my idea for working in hazards looks like this:
    • Token Artifact -- Hazard
    • [tap] -- Deal 1 damage to target attacking creature
Magearna: The ability and signature move flow really well into each other. Get charge counters when creatures die, spend them for big damage.

Calyrex and Kyruem: Feels like they should be Merge cards. Merge triggers should probably be on Reshiram/Zekrom/Glastrier/Spectrier so that the base doesn't end up with two very similar lines of text. Necrozma is harder to implement, since a straight merge misses out on Ultra.

Magnet Pull/Arena Trap: Is an activated ability with "target [artifact/non-flying] creature blocks [self]" a reasonable implementation of trapping? Regardless, Wobbuffet's version of Shadow tag may need to be different from Gothitelle/Gengar-Mega due to the rest of its gimmick.

Wobbuffet: Speaking of, if the order of operations can be sorted out with a possible limitation on initiating attacks, I could see setting its power to that of whatever it is currently fighting.

Rapid Spin/Mortal Spin/Defog: Taking the idea of hazards as token artifacts, it would then mean that Spin (used by Foretress, Glimmora, potentially Baltoy/Claydol and/or Cloyster) can destroy artifact tokens of a particular opponent, while defog (corviknight's the prime user given its GMax effect) can clear tokens more generally (since it also destroys screens and terrains, which feel more Enchantment-like) and indiscriminately.

Zoroark: Should Illusion be implemented as a Morph-like effect where it gets played face down?

Regenerator: It feels like a "return to hand" effect works as both healing and switching out. Maybe just for mons with strong pivot moves (Cyclizar creates a 0/1 token to block with?)

I've considered getting into MTG which because of my criteria for getting into a large tabletop game means I know more rules than is reasonable for someone who's never played.

Pokken feels like a good inspiration for relevant mons, since I feel it does a good job of translating a mon's playstyle to a different format. Off the top of my head, Gardevoir runs CM/Stored Power, Chandelure Will-o-wisp/Hex, Scizor SD/bullet punch, and Empoleon has spare HM usage.

I feel like it's a good idea to figure out common mechanics that need to get added. I'm not actually convinced that includes typing. Very few mons directly interact with typing as a whole, and the method isn't really shared between them (Genesect has an attack, Porygon a status move, Kecleon two abilities with different triggers). Here's my list of what to consider:

1. Major status: Poison/Paralysis/etc.. Probably needs to be handled with counters applied to creatures. You might be able to work Sleep/Freeze (not that anything specializes in the latter) into the tapped state, Burn can be a power reduction, and I think Last Strike was a thing in some un-set but seems like it would work fine in regular play. That leaves Poison left, and I don't have a great idea for it. I'm aware poison counters exist, but they do something completely different and MTG isn't really set up for damage-over-time.
  2. Weather/terrain. The default effect could probably be wrapped into the setter's text, but it gets awkward once we bring in abusers (which will happen with the Paradox mons, among others). The most direct translation would be to create something (token enchantments?) for the conditions that the abusers can point to, but that feels clunky. Should the abusers then
    • reference the setters by name (while a card named Miraidon, Iron Serpent is on the battlefield ...)?
    • reference the ability (while a creature with Drought is on the battlefield ...)?
    • reference the effect the weather/terrain provides (While [self] has vigilance ..., assuming sleep=tap so electric terrain=no sleep=doesn't tap)?
  3. Entry hazards. This could just be my personal bias, but I expect this would be unavoidable for Kleavor, Samurott-H, and Glimmora even if you found a way around the likes of Skarmory and Forretress. Given cards like Caltrops hit attacking creatures, my idea for working in hazards looks like this:
    • Token Artifact -- Hazard
    • [tap] -- Deal 1 damage to target attacking creature
Magearna: The ability and signature move flow really well into each other. Get charge counters when creatures die, spend them for big damage.

Calyrex and Kyruem: Feels like they should be Merge cards. Merge triggers should probably be on Reshiram/Zekrom/Glastrier/Spectrier so that the base doesn't end up with two very similar lines of text. Necrozma is harder to implement, since a straight merge misses out on Ultra.

Magnet Pull/Arena Trap: Is an activated ability with "target [artifact/non-flying] creature blocks [self]" a reasonable implementation of trapping? Regardless, Wobbuffet's version of Shadow tag may need to be different from Gothitelle/Gengar-Mega due to the rest of its gimmick.

Wobbuffet: Speaking of, if the order of operations can be sorted out with a possible limitation on initiating attacks, I could see setting its power to that of whatever it is currently fighting.

Rapid Spin/Mortal Spin/Defog: Taking the idea of hazards as token artifacts, it would then mean that Spin (used by Foretress, Glimmora, potentially Baltoy/Claydol and/or Cloyster) can destroy artifact tokens of a particular opponent, while defog (corviknight's the prime user given its GMax effect) can clear tokens more generally (since it also destroys screens and terrains, which feel more Enchantment-like) and indiscriminately.

Zoroark: Should Illusion be implemented as a Morph-like effect where it gets played face down?

Regenerator: It feels like a "return to hand" effect works as both healing and switching out. Maybe just for mons with strong pivot moves (Cyclizar creates a 0/1 token to block with?)
I had a few ideas for good ol' 001-003:
Bulbasaur (1G)
Creature - Plant Beast
(1/2)
Ivysaur (2G)
Creature - Plant Beast
Next Evolution - 1G: If you control and own a card named Bulbasaur, you may exile it. If you do, you may cast this spell for its Next Evolution cost, and it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. Counters placed on Bulbasaur previously are also applied.
Grass Pledge - {T}: Deal 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker. If you used the Fire Pledge or Water Pledge abilities last turn or this turn, this deals 6 damage to any target instead.
(3/3)
Venusaur (3GG)
Creature - Plant Beast
Next Evolution - 2G: If you control and own a card named Ivysaur, you may exile it. If you do, you may cast this spell for its Next Evolution cost, and it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. Counters placed on Ivysaur previously are also applied.
Frenzy Plant - 3G, {T}: Venusaur deals 5 damage to all creatures your opponents control, then Venusaur gains a stun counter.
(4/5)

I'll admit that at first the evolution setup felt unexciting compared to filling out the individual mons more, but it occurred to me that this is an example of the most basic evolution. How reasonable is it to give Ninjask a high evolution cost (possibly adding Black to an otherwise mono-Green creature) and have Shedinja as a token created when that cost is used?

I'll admit that at first the evolution setup felt unexciting compared to filling out the individual mons more, but it occurred to me that this is an example of the most basic evolution. How reasonable is it to give Ninjask a high evolution cost (possibly adding Black to an otherwise mono-Green creature) and have Shedinja as a token created when that cost is used?
that honestly works really well

now the current issue is picking moves for anything that isn't a starter, since they'll all have the Pledges and Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon, albeit in different ways.

or maybe just the mons without exclusive moves will in that category.
Wonder Guard would be easy. Make Shedinja GB and give it Hexproof and Indestructible, and make em like a 5/1
Speed Boost and Infiltrator is another issue. Maybe Speed Boost could be "pay this cost to give this creature first strike", but I don't have anything for Infiltrator.

Getting a good reference for Infiltrator feels like it's dependent on what the representations for screens and substitute are. The first thing that came to mind would be blocking tokens, which would then make Infiltrator some kind of anti-block tech. For Ninjask (as well as the Zubat, Hoppip, and Noibat lines), this could just be Flying.

Getting a good reference for Infiltrator feels like it's dependent on what the representations for screens and substitute are. The first thing that came to mind would be blocking tokens, which would then make Infiltrator some kind of anti-block tech. For Ninjask (as well as the Zubat, Hoppip, and Noibat lines), this could just be Flying.
so how would drought and/or blaze work i wonder

Drought could make blue spells cost more mana to cast for five turns after the creature with Drought enters the battlefield (Maybe also give red creatures +1/+1 during those five turns), and Heat Rock could be an equipment that extends it to eight turns. Blaze could give the creature with it get +3/+3 if it took whatever its toughness is minus one until end of turn.

Drought - For five turns after this creature enters the battlefield, blue spells cost
more to cast (Maybe it should be
instead). Red creatures get +1/+1, and blue creatures get -2/-0.

Blaze - If this creature took (toughness minus 1) damage this turn, it gets +3/+0 until end of turn.

Here's my personal list of most iconic moves for a given mon. If I skip over a mon, it's either because nothing comes to mind or I don't think what does is mechanically interesting. Varies from "actual signature move" to very clearly subjective.

Skipping the starters because their development is already in progress.

:butterfree:Given how much Quiver Dance is going to be strained by every other butterfly mon, I think I'd go with a status powder here to mirror its GMax attack.
:beedrill: Twinneedle. Probably Double Strike?
:pidgey::pidgeotto::pidgeot:Feather Dance
:rattata::raticate::rattata-alola::raticate-alola: Super Fang is potentially interesting, though the more exclusive Hyper Fang isn't.
:arbok: Glare
Mouse gets no credit for favoritism Wild Charge
:raichu-alola:Rising Voltage
:oddish::gloom::vileplume:Petal Dance
:nidoqueen::nidoking:I'd go with Sludge Wave as a spread move here since Sheer Force special attacks have come to define the two mons
:ninetales-alola:Aurora Veil
:jigglypuff::wigglytuff:Hyper Voice
:zubat:Supersonic
:golbat:Poison Fang
:paras::parasect:Spore
:venomoth: Apparently this gets Air Slash by evolution? Probably still Poison Powder or Quiver Dance
:meowth: Pay Day. Treasure tokens?
:arcanine:Extreme Speed
:arcanine-hisui:Raging Fury
:poliwag::poliwhirl:Hypnosis
:poliwrath: Focus Punch
:abra: Teleport
:kadabra::alakazam: Kinesis
:golem-alola: Explosion
:slowpoke:Amnesia
:slowbro-galar: Shell Side Arm
:magnemite::magneton: Magnet Rise
:dodrio: Tri Attack
:grimer-alola::muk-alola: Pursuit
:cloyster:Spike Cannon
:gastly:Lick
:voltorb::electrode: Explosion
:voltorb-hisui:Chloroblast
:exeggcute::exeggutor: Barrage
:cubone::marowak::marowak-alola:Bonemerang. More Double Strike?
:koffing::weezing:Poison Gas
:rhydon:Horn Drill
:chansey:Softboiled
:horsea::seadra:Smokescreen
:staryu::starmie:Rapid Spin's a contender, but not mandatory
:mr. mime:Barrier/Light Screen/Reflect
:Jynx:Lovely Kiss
:tauros::tauros-paldea-combat::tauros-paldea-blaze::tauros-paldea-aqua:Raging Bull
:lapras:Surf
:ditto:Transform, though likely made redundant by Imposter
:eevee: I could see referencing Evoboost as something that requires all 5 mana colours
:vaporeon:Acid Armour
:Jolteon:Pin Missile
:porygon:Sharpen
:snorlax:Rest, possibly Recycle?
:zapdos-galar:Thundrous Kick. For whatever reason, only Zapdos gets to reliably have a secondary effect.
:dragonite:Extreme Speed
:mewtwo: Psystrike is at least unique in Pokemon, but I'm not sure how well that would translate
:mew: Any particular move isn't iconic, but the sheer amount is

:cyndaquil::quilava:Flame Wheel
:typhlosion: Eruption
:typhlosion-hisui:Infernal Parade
:ledyba::ledian:Comet Punch
:spinarak::ariados:Toxic Thread
:togepi::togetic:Wish
:natu::xatu:Future Sight
:bellossom:Petal Dance
:azumarill:Belly Drum
:hoppip::skiploom::jumpluff:Cotton Spore
:espeon:Morning Sun
:umbreon:Moonlight
:slowking:Chilly Reception
:slowking-galar:Eerie Spell
:Misdreavus:Pain Split
:unown:Hidden Power
:wobbuffet:Counter, Mirror Coat
:pineco:Rapid Spin
:forretress:Spikes
:dunsparce:Headbutt is now relevant with Serene Grace
:steelix:Iron Tail
:qwilfish-hisui:Barb Barrage
:scizor:Bullet Punch. Probably First Stike?
:shuckle:Wrap
:heracross-mega:Pin Missile
:sneasel:Beat Up
:delibird:Present
:skarmory:Spikes
:phanpy::donphan:Rollout
:porygon2:Conversion 2
:smeargle:Sketch
:hitmontop:Triple Kick
:miltank:Milk Drink
:blissey:Softboiled
:Ho-oh:Sacred Fire

:marshtomp::swampert:Muddy Water
:linoone:Extreme Speed
:beautifly::dustox:powder or Quiver Dance, as usual
:taillow:Endeavour
:surskit:Water Sport
:masquerain:Quiver Dance, Silver Wind, or Sticky Web
:shroomish:Spore
:breloom:Mach Punch
:slakoth:Slack Off
:slaking:Giga Impact
:loudred::exploud:Boomburst
:makuhita::hariyama:Smelling Salts or Arm Thrust
:skitty::Delcatty:Assist
:mawile:Fake Tears
:lairon::aggron:Head Smash, though usually Rock Head makes it less exciting
:meditite::medicham:Meditate
:plusle::minun:Helping Hand
:volbeat:Tail Glow
:roselia:GrassWhistle
:wailmer::wailord:Water Spout
:spoink::grumpig:Magic Coat
:spinda:Teeter Dance
:lunatone::solrock:Cosmic Power
:baltoy::claydol:Rapid Spin
:castform:Weather Ball
:wynaut:Encore
:spheal::sealeo::walrein:Ice Ball
:clamperl:Clamp
:metang::metagross:Meteor Mash
:regirock::regice::registeel:Superpower, Curse, Explosion
:latias:Mist Ball
:latios:Luster Purge
:kyogre:Water Spout
:groudon:Eruption
:rayquaza:Dragon Ascent
:jirachi:Doom Desire
:deoxys: Psycho Boost

:staravia::staraptor:Brave Bird
:bidoof::bibarel:Quick Attack
:rampardos: Head Smash
:bastiodon: Metal Burst
:vespiquen: Defend Order
:Pachirisu: Follow Me
:ambipom: Double Hit
:bronzor::bronzong:Rain Dance, Gyro Ball
:bonsly:Mimic
:chatot:Chatter
:riolu:Force Palm
:lucario:Aura Sphere
:skorupi::drapion:Acupressure
:weavile:Beat Up
:magnezone:Magnet Rise
:lickilicky:Rollout
:rhyperior:Horn Drill, Rock Wrecker
:togekiss:Air Slash
:yanmega:Ancient Power
:porygon-z:Conversion
:probopass:Magnet Bomb
:uxie::mesprit::azelf:Mystical Power
:dialga:Roar of Time. Force end the turn feels funny here, but may be hard to reconcile with the recharge
:heatran:Magma Storm
:regigigas:Crush Grip
:giratina:Shadow Force
:cresselia:Lunar Dance, Lunar Blessing
:phione:Take Heart
:manaphy:Heart Swap
:darkrai:Dark Void
:shaymin:Seed Flare
:arceus:Judgement

:victini:V-Create
:snivy::servine::serperior:Leaf Tornado
:tepig::pignite::emboar:Heat Crash
:samurott-hisui:Ceaseless Edge
:lillipup::herdier::stoutland:Retaliate
:purrloin::liepard:Assist
:pansear::simisear:Flame Burst
:panpour::simipour:Scald
:munna:Hypnosis
:musharna:Dream Eater
:blitzle::zebstrika:Wild Charge
:Audino:Heal Pulse
:throh:Circle Throw
:scolipede:Baton Pass
:cottonee::whimsicott:Cotton Guard
:lilligant-hisui:Victory Dance
:darmanitan:Flare Blitz
:dwebble::crustle:Shell Smash
:scraggy::Scrafty:Bulk Up
:sigilyph:Psycho Shift
:trubbish::garbodor:Toxic Spikes
:zorua::zoroark:Night Daze
:zorua-hisui::zoroark-hisui:Bitter Malice
:minccino::cinccino:Tail Slap
:ducklett::swanna:Hurricane
:sawsbuck:Horn Leech
:emolga:Volt Switch
:foongus::amoonguss:Rage Powder
:joltik::galvantula:Electroweb
:ferroseed::ferrothorn:Gyro Ball
:klink::klang::klinklang:Shift Gear, Gear Up, Magnetic Flux, Gear Grind
:litwick::lampent::chandelure:Will-o-Wisp, Flame Burst, Hex
:axew::fraxure::haxorus:Outrage
:stunfisk-galar:Snap Trap
:mienfoo::mienshao:U-turn
:golett::golurk:Fling, Shadow Punch
:pawniard::bisharp:Sucker Punch
:bouffalant:Head Charge
:braviary-hisui:Esper Wing
:heatmor:Fire Lash
:larvesta:Flame Charge
:volcarona:Firey Dance
:cobalion::terrakion::virizion:Sacred Sword
:tornadus:Bleakwind Storm
:thundurus:Wildbolt Storm
:reshiram:Fusion Flare
:zekrom:Fusion Bolt
:landorus:Sandsear Storm
:kyurem:Glaciate, Ice Shock, Freeze Burn
:keldeo:Secret Sword
:meloetta:Relic Song
:genesect:Techno Blast, U-turn

:chesnaught:Spiky Shield
:delphox:Mystical Fire
:greninja:Water Shuriken, Mat Block
:fletchinder::talonflame:Brave Brid, Flare Blitz
:vivillon:Powder
:litleo::pyroar:Noble Roar
:floette-eternal:Light of Ruin
:pancham::pangoro:Parting Shot
:aegislash:King's Sheild
:aromatisse:Aromatic Mist
:inkay::malamar:Topsy-Turvy, Superpower
:clauncher::clawitzer:Water Pulse, Aura Sphere
:helioptile::heliolisk:Electrify
:tyrantrum:Head Smash
:aurorus:Aurora Veil
:sylveon:Hyper Voice
:Hawlucha:Flying Press
:dedenne:Nuzzle
:sliggoo-hisui::goodra-hisui:Shelter
:klefki:Crafty Shield, Fairy Lock
:phantump::trevenant:Forest's Curse
:pumpkaboo::gourgeist:Trick-or-Treat
:bergmite::avalugg:Avalanche
:avalugg-hisui:Mountain Gale
:noivern:Boomburst
:xerneas:Geomancy
:yveltal:Oblivion Wing
:zygarde:Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, Core Enforcer. I think there's enough here already to drop Land's Wrath
:diancie:Diamond Storm
:hoopa:Hyperspace Hole
:hoopa-unbound:Hyperspace Fury
:volcanion:Steam Eruption

:decidueye:Spirit Shackle
:decidueye-hisui:Triple Arrows
:incineroar:Fake Out, U-turn
:primarina:Sparkling Aria
:pikipek::trumbeak:fury attack
:toucannon:Beak Blast
:yungoos::gumshoos:Pursuit
:vikavolt:Zap Cannon
:crabominable:Ice Hammer
:oricorio:Revelation Dance
:ribombee:Pollen Puff:
:lycanroc::lycanroc-dusk:Accelrock
:wishiwashi:Tearful Look
:toxapex:Baneful Bunker
:lurantis:Solar Blade
:morelull::shiinotic:Spotlight, Strength Sap
:salandit::salazzle:Toxic
:tsareena:Trop Kick
:comfey:Floral Healing
:oranguru:Instruct
:passimian:Fling
:wimpod:Struggle Bug
:golisopod:First Impression
:sandygast::palossand:Shore Up
:pyukumuku:Counter, Purify
:silvally:Multi-Attack
:minior:Shell Smash
:komala:Sleep Talk
:turtonator:Shell Trap
:bruxish:Psychic Fangs
:dhelmise:Anchor Shot
:kommo-o:Clanging Scales, Clangorous Soul
:tapu koko::tapu lele::tapu bulu::tapu fini:Nature's Madness
:buzzwole:Drain Punch
:pheromosa:High Jump Kick
:necrozma:Prismatic Laser
:necrozma-dusk-mane::necrozma-dawn-wings::necrozma-ultra:Photon Geyser
:magearna:Fleur Cannon
:marshadow:Spectral Thief
:naganadel:Draco Meteor
:stakataka:Trick Room, Gyro Ball, Body Press
:blacephalon:Mind Blown
:zeraora:Plasma Fists
:melmetal:Double Iron Bash

:rillaboom:Grassy Glide, Drum Beating
You know what, screw you. You don't get featured on this list, because your main move is Pyro Ball and it's lame as hell. Because that's what you wanted, right? To be a basic-ass mon so that when new players see this game they can't tell that there's any depth to the mechanics. That's what wide appeal means after all: dumbing crap down until it loses what made it worth discussing.
:inteleon:Snipe Shot
:skwovet::greedent:Stuff Cheeks
:corviknight:Defog
:orbeetle:So the GMax sets gravity, but then the regular mon can't learn Gravity regularly?
:eldegoss:Cotton Spore
:chewtle::drednaw:Jaw Lock
:coalossal:Tar Shot
:flapple:Grav Apple
:appletun:Apple Acid
:cramorant:Dive
:toxtricity:Overdrive
:sizzlipede::centiskorch:Fire Spin
:grapploct:Octolock
:sinistea::polteageist:Teatime
:hatterene:Magic Powder
:morgrem::grimmsnarl:False Surrendur
:Obstagoon:Block
:sirfetchMeteor Assault
:alcremie:Decorate
:falinks:No Retreat
:frosmoth:Quiver Dance
:indeedee:Expanding Force
:morpeko:Aura Wheel
:dracozolt::arctozolt:Bolt Beak
:dracovish::arctovish:Fishious Rend
:duraludon:Steel Beam
:dragapult:Dragon Darts
:zacian:Behemoth Blade
:zamazenta:Body Press, Behemoth Bash
:eternatus:Eternabeam, Dynamax Cannon
:urshifu:Wicked Blow, Surging Strikes
:regieleki:Thunder Cage
:regidrago:Dragon Energy
:wyrdeer:Psyshield Bash
:kleavor:Stone Axe
:ursaluna:Headlong Rush
:basculegion:Last Respects--unconfirmed
:sneasler:Dire Claw
:overqwil:Barb Barrage
:enamorus:springtide storm

:meowscarada:Flower Trick
:skeledirge:Torch Song
:quaquaval:Aqua Step
:spidops:Silk Trap
:lokix:First Impression
:pawmot:Double Shock, Revival Blessing
:tandemaus::maushold:Population Bomb
:naclstack::garganacl:Salt Cure
:armarouge:Armor Cannon
:ceruledge:Bitter Blade
:kilowattrel:Hurricane
:maschiff::mabosstiff:Jaw Lock
:grafaiai:Doodle
:toedscool::toedscruel:Spore
:scovillain:Spicy Extract
:rabsca:Speed Swap, Revival Blessing
:flittle::espartha:Stored Power
:tinkaton:Gigaton Hammer
:wugtrio:Triple Dive
:palafin:Flip Turn, Jet Punch
:varoom::revavroom: Spin out. As a complete aside, should it get Vehicle synergy?
:cyclizar::orthworm:Shed Tail
:glimmora:Mortal Spin
:houndstone:Last Respects
:veluza:Fillet Away
:dondozo:Order Up
:annihilape:Rage Fist
:farigiraf:Twin Beam
:dudunsparce:Hyper Drill
:kingambit:Sucker Punch, Kowtow Cleave
:scream tail:Wish
:slither wing:Flame Charge
:iron treads:Steel Roller
:iron moth:Fiery Dance
:baxcalibur:Glaive Rush
:gholdengo:Make it Rain. Should there me more Treasure token stuff for this line?
:wo-chien::chien-pao::ting-lu::chi-yu:Ruination
:walking wake:Hydro Steam
:iron leaves:Psyblade

Here's my personal list of most iconic moves for a given mon. If I skip over a mon, it's either because nothing comes to mind or I don't think what does is mechanically interesting. Varies from "actual signature move" to very clearly subjective.

Skipping the starters because their development is already in progress.

:butterfree:Given how much Quiver Dance is going to be strained by every other butterfly mon, I think I'd go with a status powder here to mirror its GMax attack.
:beedrill: Twinneedle. Probably Double Strike?
:pidgey::pidgeotto::pidgeot:Feather Dance
:rattata::raticate::rattata-alola::raticate-alola: Super Fang is potentially interesting, though the more exclusive Hyper Fang isn't.
:arbok: Glare
Mouse gets no credit for favoritism Wild Charge
:raichu-alola:Rising Voltage
:oddish::gloom::vileplume:Petal Dance
:nidoqueen::nidoking:I'd go with Sludge Wave as a spread move here since Sheer Force special attacks have come to define the two mons
:ninetales-alola:Aurora Veil
:jigglypuff::wigglytuff:Hyper Voice
:zubat:Supersonic
:golbat:Poison Fang
:paras::parasect:Spore
:venomoth: Apparently this gets Air Slash by evolution? Probably still Poison Powder or Quiver Dance
:meowth: Pay Day. Treasure tokens?
:arcanine:Extreme Speed
:arcanine-hisui:Raging Fury
:poliwag::poliwhirl:Hypnosis
:poliwrath: Focus Punch
:abra: Teleport
:kadabra::alakazam: Kinesis
:golem-alola: Explosion
:slowpoke:Amnesia
:slowbro-galar: Shell Side Arm
:magnemite::magneton: Magnet Rise
:dodrio: Tri Attack
:grimer-alola::muk-alola: Pursuit
:cloyster:Spike Cannon
:gastly:Lick
:voltorb::electrode: Explosion
:voltorb-hisui::electrode-hisui: Chloroblast
:exeggcute::exeggutor: Barrage
:cubone::marowak::marowak-alola:Bonemerang. More Double Strike?
:koffing::weezing:Poison Gas
:rhydon:Horn Drill
:chansey:Softboiled
:horsea::seadra:Smokescreen
:staryu::starmie:Rapid Spin's a contender, but not mandatory
:mr. mime:Barrier/Light Screen/Reflect
:Jynx:Lovely Kiss
:tauros::tauros-paldea-combat::tauros-paldea-blaze::tauros-paldea-aqua:Raging Bull
:lapras:Surf
:ditto:Transform, though likely made redundant by Imposter
:eevee: I could see referencing Evoboost as something that requires all 5 mana colours
:vaporeon:Acid Armour
:Jolteon:Pin Missile
:porygon:Sharpen
:snorlax:Rest, possibly Recycle?
:zapdos-galar:Thundrous Kick. For whatever reason, only Zapdos gets to reliably have a secondary effect.
:dragonite:Extreme Speed
:mewtwo: Psystrike is at least unique in Pokemon, but I'm not sure how well that would translate
:mew: Any particular move isn't iconic, but the sheer amount is

:cyndaquil::quilava:Flame Wheel
:typhlosion: Eruption
:typhlosion-hisui:Infernal Parade
:ledyba::ledian:Comet Punch
:spinarak::ariados:Toxic Thread
:togepi::togetic:Wish
:natu::xatu:Future Sight
:bellossom:Petal Dance
:azumarill:Belly Drum
:hoppip::skiploom::jumpluff:Cotton Spore
:espeon:Morning Sun
:umbreon:Moonlight
:slowking:Chilly Reception
:slowking-galar:Eerie Spell
:Misdreavus:Pain Split
:unown:Hidden Power
:wobbuffet:Counter, Mirror Coat
:pineco:Rapid Spin
:forretress:Spikes
:dunsparce:Headbutt is now relevant with Serene Grace
:steelix:Iron Tail
:qwilfish-hisui:Barb Barrage
:scizor:Bullet Punch. Probably First Stike?
:shuckle:Wrap
:heracross-mega:Pin Missile
:sneasel:Beat Up
:delibird:Present
:skarmory:Spikes
:phanpy::donphan:Rollout
:porygon2:Conversion 2
:smeargle:Sketch
:hitmontop:Triple Kick
:miltank:Milk Drink
:blissey:Softboiled
:Ho-oh:Sacred Fire

:marshtomp::swampert:Muddy Water
:linoone:Extreme Speed
:beautifly::dustox:powder or Quiver Dance, as usual
:taillow:Endeavour
:surskit:Water Sport
:masquerain:Quiver Dance, Silver Wind, or Sticky Web
:shroomish:Spore
:breloom:Mach Punch
:slakoth:Slack Off
:slaking:Giga Impact
:loudred::exploud:Boomburst
:makuhita::hariyama:Smelling Salts or Arm Thrust
:skitty::Delcatty:Assist
:mawile:Fake Tears
:lairon::aggron:Head Smash, though usually Rock Head makes it less exciting
:meditite::medicham:Meditate
:plusle::minun:Helping Hand
:volbeat:Tail Glow
:roselia:GrassWhistle
:wailmer::wailord:Water Spout
:spoink::grumpig:Magic Coat
:spinda:Teeter Dance
:lunatone::solrock:Cosmic Power
:baltoy::claydol:Rapid Spin
:castform:Weather Ball
:wynaut:Encore
:spheal::sealeo::walrein:Ice Ball
:clamperl:Clamp
:metang::metagross:Meteor Mash
:regirock::regice::registeel:Superpower, Curse, Explosion
:latias:Mist Ball
:latios:Luster Purge
:kyogre:Water Spout
:groudon:Eruption
:rayquaza:Dragon Ascent
:jirachi:Doom Desire
:deoxys: Psycho Boost

:staravia::staraptor:Brave Bird
:bidoof::bibarel:Quick Attack
:rampardos: Head Smash
:bastiodon: Metal Burst
:vespiquen: Defend Order
:Pachirisu: Follow Me
:ambipom: Double Hit
:bronzor::bronzong:Rain Dance, Gyro Ball
:bonsly:Mimic
:chatot:Chatter
:riolu:Force Palm
:lucario:Aura Sphere
:skorupi::drapion:Acupressure
:weavile:Beat Up
:magnezone:Magnet Rise
:lickilicky:Rollout
:rhyperior:Horn Drill, Rock Wrecker
:togekiss:Air Slash
:yanmega:Ancient Power
:porygon-z:Conversion
:probopass:Magnet Bomb
:uxie::mesprit::azelf:Mystical Power
:dialga:Roar of Time. Force end the turn feels funny here, but may be hard to reconcile with the recharge
:heatran:Magma Storm
:regigigas:Crush Grip
:giratina:Shadow Force
:cresselia:Lunar Dance, Lunar Blessing
:phione:Take Heart
:manaphy:Heart Swap
:darkrai:Dark Void
:shaymin:Seed Flare
:arceus:Judgement

:victini:V-Create
:snivy::servine::serperior:Leaf Tornado
:tepig::pignite::emboar:Heat Crash
:samurott-hisui:Ceaseless Edge
:lillipup::herdier::stoutland:Retaliate
:purrloin::liepard:Assist
:pansear::simisear:Flame Burst
:panpour::simipour:Scald
:munna:Hypnosis
:musharna:Dream Eater
:blitzle::zebstrika:Wild Charge
:Audino:Heal Pulse
:throh:Circle Throw
:scolipede:Baton Pass
:cottonee::whimsicott:Cotton Guard
:lilligant-hisui:Victory Dance
:darmanitan:Flare Blitz
:dwebble::crustle:Shell Smash
:scraggy::Scrafty:Bulk Up
:sigilyph:Psycho Shift
:trubbish::garbodor:Toxic Spikes
:zorua::zoroark:Night Daze
:zorua-hisui::zoroark-hisui:Bitter Malice
:minccino::cinccino:Tail Slap
:ducklett::swanna:Hurricane
:sawsbuck:Horn Leech
:emolga:Volt Switch
:foongus::amoonguss:Rage Powder
:joltik::galvantula:Electroweb
:ferroseed::ferrothorn:Gyro Ball
:klink::klang::klinklang:Shift Gear, Gear Up, Magnetic Flux, Gear Grind
:litwick::lampent::chandelure:Will-o-Wisp, Flame Burst, Hex
:axew::fraxure::haxorus:Outrage
:stunfisk-galar:Snap Trap
:mienfoo::mienshao:U-turn
:golett::golurk:Fling, Shadow Punch
:pawniard::bisharp:Sucker Punch
:bouffalant:Head Charge
:braviary-hisui:Esper Wing
:heatmor:Fire Lash
:larvesta:Flame Charge
:volcarona:Firey Dance
:cobalion::terrakion::virizion:Sacred Sword
:tornadus:Bleakwind Storm
:thundurus:Wildbolt Storm
:reshiram:Fusion Flare
:zekrom:Fusion Bolt
:landorus:Sandsear Storm
:kyurem:Glaciate, Ice Shock, Freeze Burn
:keldeo:Secret Sword
:meloetta:Relic Song
:genesect:Techno Blast, U-turn

:chesnaught:Spiky Shield
:delphox:Mystical Fire
:greninja:Water Shuriken, Mat Block
:fletchinder::talonflame:Brave Brid, Flare Blitz
:vivillon:Powder
:litleo::pyroar:Noble Roar
:floette-eternal:Light of Ruin
:pancham::pangoro:Parting Shot
:aegislash:King's Sheild
:aromatisse:Aromatic Mist
:inkay::malamar:Topsy-Turvy, Superpower
:clauncher::clawitzer:Water Pulse, Aura Sphere
:helioptile::heliolisk:Electrify
:tyrantrum:Head Smash
:aurorus:Aurora Veil
:sylveon:Hyper Voice
:Hawlucha:Flying Press
:dedenne:Nuzzle
:sliggoo-hisui::goodra-hisui:Shelter
:klefki:Crafty Shield, Fairy Lock
:phantump::trevenant:Forest's Curse
:pumpkaboo::gourgeist:Trick-or-Treat
:bergmite::avalugg:Avalanche
:avalugg-hisui:Mountain Gale
:noivern:Boomburst
:xerneas:Geomancy
:yveltal:Oblivion Wing
:zygarde:Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, Core Enforcer. I think there's enough here already to drop Land's Wrath
:diancie:Diamond Storm
:hoopa:Hyperspace Hole
:hoopa-unbound:Hyperspace Fury
:volcanion:Steam Eruption

:decidueye:Spirit Shackle
:decidueye-hisui:Triple Arrows
:incineroar:Fake Out, U-turn
:primarina:Sparkling Aria
:pikipek::trumbeak:fury attack
:toucannon:Beak Blast
:yungoos::gumshoos:Pursuit
:vikavolt:Zap Cannon
:crabominable:Ice Hammer
:oricorio:Revelation Dance
:ribombee:Pollen Puff:
:lycanroc::lycanroc-dusk:Accelrock
:wishiwashi:Tearful Look
:toxapex:Baneful Bunker
:lurantis:Solar Blade
:morelull::shiinotic:Spotlight, Strength Sap
:salandit::salazzle:Toxic
:tsareena:Trop Kick
:comfey:Floral Healing
:oranguru:Instruct
:passimian:Fling
:wimpod:Struggle Bug
:golisopod:First Impression
:sandygast::palossand:Shore Up
:pyukumuku:Counter, Purify
:silvally:Multi-Attack
:minior:Shell Smash
:komala:Sleep Talk
:turtonator:Shell Trap
:bruxish:Psychic Fangs
:dhelmise:Anchor Shot
:kommo-o:Clanging Scales, Clangorous Soul
:tapu koko::tapu lele::tapu bulu::tapu fini:Nature's Madness
:buzzwole:Drain Punch
:pheromosa:High Jump Kick
:necrozma:Prismatic Laser
:necrozma-dusk-mane::necrozma-dawn-wings::necrozma-ultra:Photon Geyser
:magearna:Fleur Cannon
:marshadow:Spectral Thief
:naganadel:Draco Meteor
:stakataka:Trick Room, Gyro Ball, Body Press
:blacephalon:Mind Blown
:zeraora:Plasma Fists
:melmetal:Double Iron Bash

:rillaboom:Grassy Glide, Drum Beating
You know what, screw you. You don't get featured on this list, because your main move is Pyro Ball and it's lame as hell. Because that's what you wanted, right? To be a basic-ass mon so that when new players see this game they can't tell that there's any depth to the mechanics. That's what wide appeal means after all: dumbing crap down until it loses what made it worth discussing.
:inteleon:Snipe Shot
:skwovet::greedent:Stuff Cheeks
:corviknight:Defog
:orbeetle:So the GMax sets gravity, but then the regular mon can't learn Gravity regularly?
:eldegoss:Cotton Spore
:chewtle::drednaw:Jaw Lock
:coalossal:Tar Shot
:flapple:Grav Apple
:appletun:Apple Acid
:cramorant:Dive
:toxtricity:Overdrive
:sizzlipede::centiskorch:Fire Spin
:grapploct:Octolock
:sinistea::polteageist:Teatime
:hatterene:Magic Powder
:morgrem::grimmsnarl:False Surrendur
:Obstagoon:Block
:sirfetchMeteor Assault
:alcremie:Decorate
:falinks:No Retreat
:frosmoth:Quiver Dance
:indeedee:Expanding Force
:morpeko:Aura Wheel
:dracozolt::arctozolt:Bolt Beak
:dracovish::arctovish:Fishious Rend
:duraludon:Steel Beam
:dragapult:Dragon Darts
:zacian:Behemoth Blade
:zamazenta:Body Press, Behemoth Bash
:eternatus:Eternabeam, Dynamax Cannon
:urshifu:Wicked Blow, Surging Strikes
:regieleki:Thunder Cage
:regidrago:Dragon Energy
:wyrdeer:Psyshield Bash
:kleavor:Stone Axe
:ursaluna:Headlong Rush
:basculegion:Last Respects--unconfirmed
:sneasler:Dire Claw
:overqwil:Barb Barrage
:enamorus:springtide storm

:meowscarada:Flower Trick
:skeledirge:Torch Song
:quaquaval:Aqua Step
:spidops:Silk Trap
:lokix:First Impression
:pawmot:Double Shock, Revival Blessing
:tandemaus::maushold:Population Bomb
:naclstack::garganacl:Salt Cure
:armarouge:Armor Cannon
:ceruledge:Bitter Blade
:kilowattrel:Hurricane
:maschiff::mabosstiff:Jaw Lock
:grafaiai:Doodle
:toedscool::toedscruel:Spore
:scovillain:Spicy Extract
:rabsca:Speed Swap, Revival Blessing
:flittle::espartha:Stored Power
:tinkaton:Gigaton Hammer
:wugtrio:Triple Dive
:palafin:Flip Turn, Jet Punch
:varoom::revavroom: Spin out. As a complete aside, should it get Vehicle synergy?
:cyclizar::orthworm:Shed Tail
:glimmora:Mortal Spin
:houndstone:Last Respects
:veluza:Fillet Away
:dondozo:Order Up
:annihilape:Rage Fist
:farigiraf:Twin Beam
:dudunsparce:Hyper Drill
:kingambit:Sucker Punch, Kowtow Cleave
:scream tail:Wish
:slither wing:Flame Charge
:iron treads:Steel Roller
:iron moth:Fiery Dance
:baxcalibur:Glaive Rush
:gholdengo:Make it Rain. Should there me more Treasure token stuff for this line?
:wo-chien::chien-pao::ting-lu::chi-yu:Ruination
:walking wake:Hydro Steam
:iron leaves:Psyblade
blunt goblin commentary time
:ss/zygarde: :ss/zygarde-complete:
for these two I'd see it as a modal type card or just a straight transformation, that's pretty much a requirement.
:ss/meowth: :ss/meowth-galar: :ss/meowth-alola:
These three are very different in how they work, so I'd say only :meowth: gets Pay Day, the other two would get something else funky.
:ss/marowak: :ss/marowak-alola:
i could be a dick and make bonemarang a dice roller if i'm entirely honest

and before i go on (as its lagging the shit outta my toaster), how do i decide colors for anything that isnt grass, fire, or water

and i might forgo the "work by generation" thing because i really hate the first two gens for how boring they are

which gen do I work on first is the question

Gen 3, and as for other typings uhhh... Ghost/Dark are obvious (black), Psychic I'd associate with blue, Steel I'd say is white/red, Electric is red/blue, Normal is white, Fighting white/red, Rock/Ground red, Poison black, Flying blue/white, dragon is anything, Fairy is anything, Bug is green, Ice blue. That might be it. I will say, I do think the color is less "oh grass is green and fighting is white so those 2" and more "What's the combination?". Can't think of any specifics rn but I'd base it more off of how the 2 colors and types feel together along with the vibe of the mon as opposed to a cut and dry this is that way of coloring.

Gen 3, and as for other typings uhhh... Ghost/Dark are obvious (black), Psychic I'd associate with blue, Steel I'd say is white/red, Electric is red/blue, Normal is white, Fighting white/red, Rock/Ground red, Poison black, Flying blue/white, dragon is anything, Fairy is anything, Bug is green, Ice blue. That might be it. I will say, I do think the color is less "oh grass is green and fighting is white so those 2" and more "What's the combination?". Can't think of any specifics rn but I'd base it more off of how the 2 colors and types feel together along with the vibe of the mon as opposed to a cut and dry this is that way of coloring.
I think that in addition to white for the more mundane Normal mons, the Normal mons that emphasize being able to switch types (e.g. Porygon, Ditto, Eevee, Silvally) should probably be colourless.

Colourless has also been used for an eldritch, beyond normal understanding thing as well, I think? Might fit with some of the Dragon legendaries like Eternatus, Guzzlord, and Necrozma-Ultra. Maybe even the gen 4 spacetime trio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)