<->

"The Humming Pokemon"
Base Stats:

(Base Forme): 75 HP / 70 Atk / 90 Def / 70 SpA / 105 SpD / 80 Spe
(BST): 490
(Mega Forme): 75 HP / 110 Atk / 110 Def / 110 SpA / 105 SpD / 80 Spe
(BST): 590

Abilities:

Natural Cure: The Pokemon’s status (Burn, Paralyze, Sleep, Poison, Freeze) is healed when withdrawn from battle.
Cloud Nine (HA): All weather effects are negated while the Pokémon is on the field.
Pixilate (Mega): Increases the power of Normal-type moves by 30%. It then changes those moves to Fairy-type.

Notable Moves:
(STAB in Bold Blue)
  • Dragon Dance
  • Dragon Claw
  • Outrage
  • Return / Frustration
  • Double-Edge
  • Body Slam
  • Draco Meteor
  • Hyper Voice
  • Sky Attack
  • Fire Blast
  • Earthquake
  • Cotton Guard
  • Heal Bell
  • Roost
  • Refresh
  • Perish Song
  • Toxic
  • Agility
  • Roar
Analysis:

Altaria, in the recent transition to ORAS, has gained a lot of popularity and viability alike, rising from the depths of PU to top-tier OU S Rank, and for good reason. Boasting a gigantic amount of resistances and defensive utility to go along with its already great bulk, allowing it to counter and force out a large number of Pokemon in OU, such as Keldeo and Mega Lopunny, as well as decent offenses combined with an excellent ability in Pixilate allows it to hit hard on both sides of the spectrum, making it extremely unpredictable. Its versatility also lets it utilize many sets effectively, including, but not limited to, offensive and defensive Dragon Dance sets, Specially Attacking sets, defensive cleric sets etc. In addition, it has access to a stellar boosting move in Dragon Dance, and due to its unique typing it can set up on many common threats.

However, it is hampered by a poor Speed stat, sitting at a below-average 80, which means it is outsped by many Pokemon such as Landorus and Mega Metagross. In addition, it may have four-moveslot-syndrome sometimes, as if it lacks a certain move it cannot get past a certain Pokemon, such as without Fire Blast it does not beat Ferrothorn.

Movesets:

"Offensive Dragon Dance"
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure / Cloud Nine
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

This set makes use of Altaria's access to the coveted Dragon Dance, turning it into a terrifying sweeper that is both powerful and fast simultaneously. It's natural bulk coupled with a great typing allows it to set up on many common Pokemon. Return is the obligatory STAB, reaching a staggering 200 BP after factoring in the Pixilate and STAB boost, and provides good neutral coverage against most of the metagame, including the omnipresent Dark- and Fighting-types inhabiting the tier. Earthquake deals with bulky Steel-, Fire- and Poison-types which resist Return, such as Jirachi, Heatran and Tentacruel. Lastly, Roost provides reliable recovery for Altaria, allowing it to set up easier.

240 Speed EVs allows Altaria to outspeed Weavile after a Dragon Dance. 252 EVs are invested into the Attack stat for maximum power, and the rest are dumped into HP for some bulk. More Speed or HP investment could be run to reach certain benchmarks, such as 220 Speed for Tornadus-T and Mega Pidgeot, 184 EVs for Raikou and Starmie, and 160 EVs for Thundurus.

Another option for an EV spread would be 56 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe with a Jolly Nature, which allows it to outspeed Jolly base 70s such as Breloom and Bisharp, and beneficial natured base 135s and below such as Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny.

"Special Attacker"
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure / Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid / Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake / Draco Meteor / Toxic
- Roost

Mega Altaria can also make use of it's decent Special Attack stat, as it has access to Pixilate and a good coverage move in Fire Blast. Its Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice packs great power, consistency, and coverage, as well as the occasionally handy ability to bypass Substitutes. Fire Blast provides good coverage, dealing with a vast realm of Steel-types resisting Hyper Voice such as Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarmory. Earthquake deals with the rest of the Steel-types that are neutral to/immune to Fire Blast, such as Empoleon and Heatran, as well as Fire- and Poison-types such as Victini and Tentacruel. However, other candidates for this slot include Draco Meteor, which allows Altaria to get past Fire-types such as Talonflame, and Toxic, which wears down Altaria's common switch-ins such as Slowking and Unaware Clefable. Finally, Roost provides reliable recovery and let's Altaria become a good tank.

A Timid nature is used so that Altaria can be as fast as possible, resulting in it outspeeding key Pokemon such as Jolly Mega Heracross, Jolly Bisharp, Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran, as well as Speed tying with opposing Altaria and Mamoswine. Using a Modest nature is an option for even more power, although Mega Altaria doesn't gain too many notable KOs with it. Investment in bulk at the cost of either power or Speed is also an option to tank attacks more effectively.

"Support"

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature / Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature
- Hyper Voice / Return
- Roost
- Earthquake / Flamethrower / Roar / Perish Song
- Heal Bell

Because of Altaria's good bulk and great typing, it can act as a great defensive pivot as well. Hyper Voice is the main STAB move of the set, providing much needed coverage, stops Altaria from being taunt bait, and hits physically defensive foes such as Landorus-T and Slowbro for more damage. On the other hand, Return is generally stronger and can exploit the weaker physical defense of some important threats in the tier; Assault Vest Conkeldurr, Mega Gallade, Mega Gyarados, and Thundurus are all OHKOed after Stealth Rock damage, while Assault Vest Azumarill, Mega Beedrill, Sylveon, and Eviolite-less Chansey are threatened by a clean 2HKO. Earthquake or Flamethrower provide additional coverage, ensuring that Altaria is not completely fodder or setup bait for Fire-, Poison- and Steel-types. Roar is a great utility move, forcing out Pokemon that may switch into Altaria into unwanted switch-ins, letting Altaria gain momentum. Perish Song is also a good support option, countering setup sweepers such as Mega Latias and Suicune. Lastly, Heal Bell gives Altaria additional utility and provides invaluable support to the team in the form of clearing their status.

The EV spread above, in tandem with a Bold, Impish or Relaxed Nature, allows Altaria to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Keldeo's Icy Wind, Fire Blast from Modest Mega Charizard Y, Earthquake from Adamant Max Attack Landorus-T, and Psyshock from Life Orb Latios. Cloud Nine is used so that Altaria can switch-in and check weather sweepers such as Kingdra, Swampert and Mega Charizard Y.

Other Moves and Sets:

Cotton Guard + Dragon Dance Mega Altaria is an underrated yet effective set, as shown by Style in the Smogon Tournament, and makes Altaria both fast, powerful and bulky; however it loses out on Earthquake coverage as most sets run it in tandem with Roost.
Agility Mega Altaria is a good late-game cleaner, however it does not have much power and Mega Altaria is not really supposed to be a sweeper.
Dragon Claw / Outrage on the Dragon Dance set allows Altaria to power through its usual checks and counters such as Talonflame, but is otherwise quite redundant with Return.
Physically Defensive Mega Altaria with Draco Meteor to counter Mega Charizard X, but is incredibly situtational and loses coverage.

Conclusion:

Mega Altaria is a metagame-defining threat, and is not to be a Pokemon unprepared for, especially with its versatility. What are other effective EV spreads for Altaria? How does Altaria cope with the plethora of Steel-, Fire- and Poison-types in OU? What other sets are viable?​

Last edited:
Hey man, very well made and conducted analysis! The only thing I want to mention other than your good work, was that I believe the current EVs on the Dragon Dance set aren't efficient in the current meta. The spread I recommend on changing it to is 56 HP / 252 Atk / +204 Spe, This allows you to out speed base 70s before mega evolving, which prevents you from getting statuses'd by Breloom or taking potential crucial damage, lets you out speed and beat Bisharp and also allows you to out speed base 135s like Mega Loppuny and Mega Manectric after one Dragon Fance. The power shift isn't too crazy either, as it still tears apart teams at +1 and pick up similar OHKOs, it also provides you with a greater amount of bulk investment, which is another factor in to why this spread needs less support and time to set up and clean teams.

Nothing really detremental or really nessary, I just find this spread to hold a lot more beneficial factors over your current one. Other than that, this is very well made, extremely helpful and insightful, thanks for posting it!

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree that a Jolly spread should probably be listed as an option but I still think Adamant is generally the main option because it nets more OHKOs at +1. I might also slash Heal Bell on the special attacker set.

I would also probably add the bulky dragon dance set. The spread listed in the analysis is 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe with an Impish Nature. 28 Speed EVs allow it to outpace Jolly Mega Lopunny after 2 DDs and the EV spread avoids multiple 2HKOs like +1 Jolly Zard X's Flare Blitz, LO Thundurus' HP Ice, and a few others. Dragon Dance / Frustration / Roost / Heal Bell or Sub or EQ in the last slot. This sets up on so many things and is a nice bulky win con once you remove or weaken steel types.

Otherwise solid job. Comin through with a pretty format once again. :)

Last edited:

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Cute little cloud thing is just so good right now. I feel like it can be slightly likened to Aegislash (but with a mega) for ORAS begin that it's able to run a variety of sets, playing all sides of the game. Physically offensive, specially offensive and physically defensive roles and not giving a crap about things. It's not all that easy to bring this thing in unevolved, but once it Megas, good luck.

Personally, I think it's special set is best right now? Don't get me wrong, Style's been bringing a long of popularity with that cute Cotton Guard set (won't lie, Cotton Guard Malt is pretty shweet), but if you actually want to beat that set, it's best to probbly end up using special Malt, if you're going 1v1. I don't really know where I was going with this. Fuck.

IMO though, Cotton Guard Malt deerves it's own entry since it's really good right now. Like, REALLY good.

Altaria is stylish af xD
I will add in King DDD set soon, can't believe I missed it. Also maybe I should put in a section for alternate EV spreads and such?
Those additions would be greatly appreciated by me and I would assume others as well would also like to see them. Keep up the good work man!

What spread would you guys recommend for a bulky special altaria paired with nastypass celebi?

On that note you should mention gothitelle as a good partner to mono return/hyper voice sets as she can take out the steels mono attack sets hate as well as deal with dragalge whom would otherwise be a solid answer to altaria.

I think a Jolly nature should deserve a mention on the Offensive DD set in order to outspeed Adamant Excadrill as well as positive base 70s such as Breloom (who induces Spore on you) and Bisharp, as well as Offensive Timid Heatran. After a DD you outspeed Scarf Excadrill, Scarf Heatran, and positive base 135s such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric.

Also, Mega Lopunny will deal a fair amount of damage on Mega Altaria and you need 2 DDs to outspeed it if you decide to run Adamant instead, forcing you to use Return instead of DD.

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 160-189 (53.5 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The speed EVs for opting Jolly go:
176 EVs to outrun +Spe base 70s.
208 EVs to outrun Jolly Mega Lopunny after a Dragon Dance.
232 EVs to outrun Adamant Excadrill and Timid Heatran.

Last edited:
Agreeing that Cotton Guard + DD needs its own set, super good and really hard to stop with anti-steels support.
Also I think it needs mentioning that if you run EQ on the specially-based attacker set, there is no point runing a negative defense nature, as you get all the needed KO's regardless of weather its - attack or not, and its no worth sacrificing Altaria's terrific bulk and letting it lose to special/physical attacker easier.
I think heal bell deserves a mention on the special attacker set to, as it can be really clutch on offensive teams and altaria only really needs 2 attacks + recovery if you have solid anti-heatran + talonflame support

But overall really good job on the thread dude, looks amazing :]

There is not really "best EVs" imo because EVs depends really on your team needs with a mon like Altaria but the standard spread is 248 HPs / 220 Spdef / 32 speed / 8 att with a Careful nature (Nice thundy / manectric / Dual Zard counter). But you can still use Adamant max att with cotton guard if you want , Altaria is really versatile and the EVs depends on what the team want.

Could you give a mention to substitute? I've been playing around with it on a DD set and it has been doing wonders as it lets me set up on status reliant pokemon such as Rotom-w and M-Sableye. Also very good as M-Altaria forces alot of switches and protects the little fluffy cloud from being revenge killed. :]

(Sry for short post and lack of replays showing it of in action, but I'm on my phone and won't have access to computor in a few days.)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't really like the spread on the Dragon Dance set. Once you're at +1, wouldn't Weavile just be switching or using Ice Shard anyway?

Also, switch around the order of abilities on all sets - a big niche that Altaria has over a large number of other megas is that it can negate Swift Swim and Sand Rush before/on the turn it mega evolves, allowing it to beat Excadrill one-on-one with Earthquake or Fire Blast, as well as handling all usable swift swimmers (depending on set) - although you need to be careful with Ludicolo, who are running Timid>Modest nowadays due to it hitting a more desirable speed tier/outpacing adamant/modest unboosted Altaria under Cloud Nine's effects (and +2 adamant mega altaria under rain).

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah as I said, Jolly is probably the optimal spread. I'll add it after I write Latios :[

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am pretty sure Adamant is used more frequently for power purposes. Lopunny/Manectric can't OHKO anyway so if they switch in on the first DD you can just DD again to outspeed. There are definitely circumstances when Jolly is better but Altaria is a mon that has the typing and natural bulk to pass on speed for power. For example I know that Adamant always 2HKOs Unaware Clefable after SR (this is assuming it switches in) while Jolly fails to do so about half the time. I'm not entirely sure what other rolls are made better or 2HKOs made into OHKOs or any of that so maybe someone else knows about all that but I've been operating under the assumption that the power difference is usually pretty important. Hell the spread on the analysis has Adamant as the main one so yeah I'd leave the Jolly spread as the slash personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)