Project ZU Victim Of The Week V2 (Round Three: Submission Phase)

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
sorry for being so late getting to this. Voting is now open and will end this upcoming Friday.

Counter: Gourgeist-Super (I liked Avalugg too, but this specific Ava doesn´t really look optimal, so that´s the tiebreaker)
Check: Machoke (Don´t think it´s optimal, but it´s the only check mentioned)

SBPC

stranded on an island
Round 5: Specs Abomasnow
abomasnow.gif

Everyone's favorite wallbusting tree, Abomasnow, serves us as this week's victim. Abomasnow is capable of blasting apart many of the tiers threats with its powerful dual STABs, as well as it's excellent coverage in Shadow Ball and Focus Blast.
Abomasnow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Submission Phase will end Tuesday, April 9th. Happy posting!​

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Muk @ Black Sludge
Careful Nature
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

CurseMuk serves as a check. While it easily comes in on Giga Drain, Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball, Blizzard can be shaky.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 169-199 (40.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Black Sludge recovery

So, if it can come in at full safely, Muk wins the 1v1 with 2 Poison Jabs:

4 Atk Muk Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 230-272 (71.6 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Reserving Mareanie

747Mareanie.png
Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Recover

Mareanie is a Check to Choice Specs Abomasnow as Abomasnow is mostly choice-locked into one of its attacks. Mareanie can come in pretty comfortably especially on Attacks like Focus Blast, Blizzard and Shadow Ball.
Due to the Eviolite and the max investment in SpDef and almost max investment into its HP stat Mareanie can tank a good amount of hits and it is able to Recover up the damage it took.
Also Mareanie has Regenerator, which helps its longevity throughout the game, so it can come in constantly on Abomasnow. Sludge Bomb is super effective on Abomasnow as it has the chance to poison Abomasnow which can cripple it down.

Calcs:
0 SpA Mareanie Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow: 116-138 (36.1 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Mareanie Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow: 116-138 (36.1 - 42.9%) -- 87.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 112-133 (36.9 - 43.8%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and hail damage
252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 82-97 (27 - 32%) -- 59.3% chance to 3HKO after hail damage
252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 112-133 (36.9 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage
252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 60-71 (19.8 - 23.4%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO after hail damage
252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Mareanie: 80-95 (26.4 - 31.3%) -- 31.7% chance to 3HKO after hail damage

Last edited:
monferno.gif

I'm Monky (Monferno) @ Eviolite
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz

Bulky Monferno is a counter to Specs Abomasnow, as it can swap in on them more often than not. I'll be covering how both defensively and offensively Monferno is a counter to Abomasnow, and how he's a good member for teams.
It's Fire typing resists both of Abomasnow's STABs. And with Eviolite he can survive a Focus Blast, Abomasnow's strongest coverage move, assuming it lands. Monferno is able to heal itself with Slack Off, and can OHKO with Flare Blitz no question.
In conclusion Monferno is a counter to Specs Abomasnow due to his typing, defensive options, and offensive options, without being an oddly specific set.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Monferno: 131-155 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after hail damage

252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Monferno: 89-105 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage

252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Focus Blast vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Monferno: 191-225 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

252 Atk Monferno Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 712-840 (221.8 - 261.6%)

SBPC

stranded on an island
Time for voting phase! Sorry for the short number of submissions, voting will end on Sunday.

Check: Muk
Counter: Monferno, but I would have chosen Kec had the article been written (not that I'm one to talk, lol)

SBPC

stranded on an island
Putting tiebreaking vote in
Mareanie

With that said, the winners of this session are Mareanie by Katy and Monferno by Lucky Dae!

I have a lot of changes that I'm going to implement into next Victim Of The Week session, so I'm going to reboot this thread next week.
Tagging Xayah to lock this thread until changes are implemented and the reboot is ready

SBPC

stranded on an island
Welcome to Victim Of The Week: Version 2.0! After the long hiatus, the thread dedicated to sniping down the tier's powerhouses has returned.

• Sometimes users may have felt that the thread owner wasn't interactive enough with the thread, to circumvent this, I will now be leaving comments at the start of each week about the previous round's entries.
• Due to it's strength in the meta, the reservation timer has been decreased to 24 Hours, from the original 48.
• Now introducing the Top Assassin board! For each week of participating, a valid set will reward you with a point on the board, while winning that particular week will get you 3 points. (Credits to Oathkeepre for the idea)

And now, the part you've actually been wanting to see.

Version 2, Week 1: Swanna
swanna.gif

Swanna is an absolutely incredible threat capable of running a multitude of excellent threats on both the physical and special side to maximize its efficiency as an offensive threat. This week will strictly tackle it's Special Defog set, which can rip teams up late game while carrying a one time Nuke in Z Hurricane

Swanna @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost

Submission Phase will end Sunday, April 28th! Good luck!​

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Electivire @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Check. I would say at best, Swanna is Scald-burning Electivire but Hurricane and Supersonic Skystrike aren't doing much to it and Vire just outspeeds and OHKOs right back with Wild Charge.

252 Atk Electivire Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swanna: 820-972 (281.7 - 334%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Electivire Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swanna: 424-504 (145.7 - 173.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO​

Last edited:

ImKoolKidz

I COULD BE BANNED!
reserving lickilicky cause she's a thicc sister

licki thicci (Lickilicky) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Frustration
- Rest
- Sleep Talk​

Lickilicky usually acts like a counter to Swanna, but with this set, this thicc sister acts as a check. This is RestTalk set abuses Swanna as a set-up folder, and can easily spam Curse+Rest+Sleep Talk and repeat. It's like the Muk 2.0 but better cause it's in the sisterhood and she's extra thicc.

Calcs:
252 SpA Swanna Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 171-202 (40.3 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Swanna Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 102-121 (24 - 28.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Swanna Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 75-88 (17.6 - 20.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Lickilicky Frustration vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swanna: 208-246 (71.4 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Reserving Munchlax

250px-446Munchlax.png

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Munchlax is a counter to Swanna as Munchlax can tank even the Z-Hurricane pretty comfortably. Scald burns does not effect Munchlax at all because
it can use Rest to get rid of the status. It's also able to paralyze the Bird with a STAB Body Slam. Munchlax is admittingly a very niche pick but it can work well against Swanna.

Notable Calcs:
252 SpA Swanna Scald vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 54-64 (13.1 - 15.5%) -- possible 7HKO
252 SpA Swanna Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 75-88 (18.2 - 21.3%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Swanna Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 123-145 (29.8 - 35.1%) -- 22.6% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Munchlax Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swanna: 117-138 (40.2 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 Atk Munchlax Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swanna: 174-205 (59.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)