Project ZU Player of the Week: Week 2 - 5gen

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

5gen
Favorite Pokemon: Simisage
Most used Pokemon: Golem
Most known for: ZU Tier Leader, all around great guy

Oathkeepre: Hi 5gen, how are you doing these days?
5gen: Hey oath, been okay. Just chilling.

Oathkeepre: Can you tell us a little about yourself?
5gen: I'm 18 years old, born and raised in Canada and my family is from Lebanon. i'm heading into my second year of uni this September. originally was in an international development program, but i quickly lost interest and am hoping to get into journalism these days i've been enjoying summer break and looking for work as well as just taking care of the house since i'm alone most of the day.

Oathkeepre: Can you tell us all your name's origins?
5gen
: Before i got into showdown i'd mash the keyboard and mess around on a random ladder for fun. After pokebattle came out I messed around there for a bit under the name blueyoshi, and after that died I came back to PS, which was during ORAS. So coming back to PS I decided I'd stick to one name. Since I played the heck out of BW on the DS I figured I'd go with gen5. Name was taken so i switched the 5.

Oathkeepre: How did you get into competitive battling?
5gen: Back in gen5 when it was current gen, after a couple hundred hours of BW in-game, I was intrigued by battle spot. However, I didn't know anything about competitive at that point so I searched up how to get any pokemon, GTS was annoying back then. Anyway I stumbled upon genning and from there I found myself watching competitive pokemon. So I stuck to battlespot and was p nice at rotational battles. Some time later I stumbled across PS and first dabbled in UU because it had my favourite mons like Arcanine. After that I noticed PU was a thing, lowest tier and it seemed relatively small compared to other tiers so I was like let's see what this is about. Got into ORAS PU a month or so before the Throh suspect test happened and I chilled there for a while. Had a PS friend named yosp (rip) that convinced me to start posting in the PU forum and it's been history since.

Oathkeepre: What's your take on ZU as far as old gens? (favorite gen, mon within the gen, etc)?
5gen: They were a bit of work to get started and we gotta thank the people involved for making it happen. They put in the work and time and it's come to fruition. I enjoy old gens and think for the most part they're fun and balanced. I personally haven't played BW/DPP/ADV as much as ORAS or SM and so my knowledge and building can't really give me a voice here. Overall though I think ADV and DPP are enjoyable and balanced, BW is not as fun for me ironically because of how the meta is, and ORAS I hold bias with because of my experience in it as well as leading the tier for a while. ORAS is very balanced imo and there is still room for creativity since it never really had a big player base during the time I was TL. Yeah honestly I need to play more of BW/DPP/ADV to form a solid opinion on those metas. As of now they're simply fun to explore.

Oathkeepre: You're managing a team in ZUPL right now by the name of the TCB Basculins. What's it like managing in the first ever ZUPL?
5gen
: Yep the Basculins. Managing a team has its responsibilities such as draft planning, weekly prep, talking with your teammates, talking about games etc. Even though it's the first ZUPL, I haven't been stressing, in it for the fun of it. That being said in this ZUPL I've been more talkative and trying to put our team in a position to get better and to go into each game with a solid team. Feel like we haven't shown all we can do yet.

Oathkeepre: ZUBL has quite a few names. If you could bring back one, what would it be?
5gen: Jynx or Gorebyss to see how they would fare in this metagame. Jynx was banned because it was so good because of Lovely Kiss, good power and speed, and great STABs. I don't really think it wouldn't be broken but It'd be fun to have an offensive ice type again. Gorebyss is a whole other story. As a smasher on its own it's p threatening, and under rain, it's that much more threatening. However, I think pokemon such as Electivire, Shiftry, Swanna, AV Kecleon, Eggy, etc would pressure it pre-setup and something like Pyukumuku might be able to counter it. Like I said under rain is a different story so it's tough to say. Since there's only one to pick I'd choose Gorebyss.

Oathkeepre: The ZU Classic is almost done. Who do you think is going to win and why isn't it going to be Rav3ndan?
5gen: Kushalos to win it. Not Rav because Kush and LST are going to be very tough opponents. Anything can happen though.

Oathkeepre: Are there any up and coming players you have your eyes on?
5gen: No not really. ZUPL is bringing out talent for the community to see. However, MonkeySniper, DugZa, Celly Berry, and Misty (the zu ladder player) are some peeps I've noticed that look interesting.

Oathkeepre: What advice would you give to people looking to get into ZU?
5gen: Have fun with it and look at the VR, make sure you can play around top threats from S to A and have ways around other things. After you build a team take a look at, try to break your team, something that beats it and the weaknesses that stand out. Should also look at ZUPL and hang out in the room, engaging with players and battling people.

Oathkeepre: Who are some of your favorite people within the ZU community?
5gen: The man of many alts, former ORAS-TL Charles A. Theist. Him and I go back and talk and battle frequently. Xayah as well, dude is a great co-TL. Staff members too since I've been interacting with them for a while. rip JdRDMS him and i used to talk a bit too. Kala, zugar daddy as well!

Oathkeepre: What is your favorite restaurant and your go-to order when you're there?
5gen: I never really eat out. Popeyes (if that qualifies) chicken tenders and fries. Otherwise it'd be butter chicken and rice form this local Afghani place.

Oathkeepre: Could I ask you to share a meaningful team to you along with what it does?
5gen:

Silvally @ Leftovers
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Swords Dance
- Return

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald
- Knock Off

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 180 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rest
- Psywave

Rapidash @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- High Horsepower

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Took a while to pick a team. I've built so many teams I don't have any in particular that is meaningful. Picked this build because I always have fun using it. Team is pretty much stall w/o the usual picks and has more offensive outlets in Rapidash, Silvally, and sub toxic tect Sandslash.

Well, I would just like to say thank you to you 5gen for your answers, your leadership, and of course, your time! I hope you have a great day!

5gen, big fan of your cool attitude and your incredible friendliness. What’s your opinion on the current meta?

Do you think there is anything that is over centralising or that you’ve seen a clear change in meta direction since the start of July?

What’s involved in running a Tier and being TL?

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
5gen, big fan of your cool attitude and your incredible friendliness. What’s your opinion on the current meta?

Hey. My opinion on the current meta is that it is incredibly balanced and fun and that the two S ranks, Shiftry and Swanna, really push players to explore options and innovate. It's clear that the two stand above all other Pokemon and I think in the near-future we're going to see a shift. In my opinion, Swanna is the most difficult Pokemon to prep for on paper because of its set diversity and the fact that it has three sets in Z-MM, Z-Rain Dance, and Flyinium Z/LO Defog that are incredible (also has Scarf and physical Defog which are nice too). Swanna is something that needs to be scouted and while each set has its own counters and counterplay, on paper Swanna can play around its would-be checks and counters. On the other hand, I think Shiftry has one set in LO mixed that every team needs to prep for and because of Shiftry's great STABs and power, it still manages to put in work no matter what. Fourth slot is p flexible which makes it that much more annoying. Essentially, I think Swanna and Shiftry are extremely centralizing, and that Shiftry is always going to put in work and that Swanna can do the same, but does so mainly because your opp has to keep in mind which set Swanna is and when it's going to pop off a Z.

Branching out, I'm really liking the amount of anti-meta Pokemon and sets that a player can craft in this metagame. Can attribute this to tailoring builds to beat top meta and common stuff. The effect Swanna and Shiftry have on teams as well as stuff like Eggy, Combusken, Mareanie, Bronzor, Shiinotic, Electivire, and so on gives a lot of room for creativity imo.

Scarferless builds :blobglare: Asking to get smacked by fast breakers and volt turn.

Do you think there is anything that is over centralising or that you’ve seen a clear change in meta direction since the start of July?

Answered this in the above. I will say that Z-MM Swanna has been trending up and I've also been using Silvally-Ground much more (dodges suckers p nicely).

What’s involved in running a Tier and being TL?

Used to be much busier before I think. Starting up the tier and council requires you to be knowledgeable and a good leader yourself, and I'd say many months ago I wasn't as good a leader as a I thought I was. There's a bit of a learning curve leading a group of staff or council and staying on top of things, and keeping a good team environment for everyone. From a tiering perspective being a TL mainly consists of making sure resources are up to date, organizing forum projects and tours, making sure the meta is fun and balanced, and trying to establish a community base. Also have to listen to the players, take into account their opinions. Most of the work is done early in the gen and maintaining everything is the easy part I'd say. I'm very thankful that our staff and council are capable peeps and for me it feels like a team effort as opposed to leading. S/o the ZU team.
Who's the cutest user in zu

Tbh I still don't know what that means around here.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
What does it mean to you to be one of the last “original” FU players from back in the day? I use the word “original” lightly, but you are one of the oldest current ZU players.

Favorite ZU Discord emote?

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What does it mean to you to be one of the last “original” FU players from back in the day? I use the word “original” lightly, but you are one of the oldest current ZU players.

I don't consider myself an original because I wasn't around for the FU in the PU forum. As much as I wish I played back then I didn't, was before my time. Being one of the oldest current players is alright, seeing the community now compared to what it used to be is profound. Honestly though my old teams from back in FU/early SM have been wiped out too many times for me to remember them clearly. Would have to look through my old computer.

Favorite ZU Discord emote?
:clickx:

5gen are u changing your nick to 8gen when swsh comes around?

What kind of music u like?

Which of the uncommon silv forms is your favorite?

Thoughts on the political discussions in zu discord?

Pancham or baltoy?

5gen

jumper
What Pokemon is the most underrated Pokemon in the meta you wanna highlight?

Silvally-Poison. Silvally-Poison currently sits in C+ and I believe it is a Pokemon that can provide crucial support on certain builds. Silvally-Poison's resistances, ability to absord TSpikes, and ability to check Grass-type breakers is something I do not see teams really explore at the moment. Can't ignore the opportunity cost of running Silv-Poison and how easy it is to wear down. However, I've been finding that Silv-Poison helps form great defensive backbones on bulkier teams (i.e Silvally-Poison+Lickilicky, Silvally-Poison+Bronzor).
5gen are u changing your nick to 8gen when swsh comes around?

No. Would've been 7gen by now. Probably won't even get swsh because I couldn't get into SM and all the gamefreak stuff surrounding the new games.

What kind of music u like?

I listen to various stuff like hip hop, rock, electronic music, video game music and their remixes, tracks from movies or games that stick out, etc. I tend to move around from one thing to the other based on my mood and things I've been listening to. Here's a list of artists/groups and music I like: Aesop Rock, RHCP, The Strokes, Immortal Technique, The Doors, some Led Zeppelin, Meiko Kaji, music from Initial D, Raisi K remixes, nintendo music/remixes/lofi (Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Xenoblade games), Digitalism, Daft Punk, and so on. Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Which of the uncommon silv forms is your favorite?

Silvally-Electric. BoltBeam with U-turn, that bulk, AND Flamethrower. Does well vs MareZor builds, soft checks Swanna, 2HKOes most Grounds, it really is fun to use.

Thoughts on the political discussions in zu discord?

I don't even bother with them. Incredibly wack. Also, I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to political discussions.

Pancham
or baltoy?

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Do you have a standard approach you like to use when building a team?
Anything you like to do to warm up (or cool down?) before a tour game?
Any mons you think are overrated rn?

Hey 5gen,

Outside of Basketball anime, what shows are you into right now?

What do you think is my best alt name?

Left or Right Twix?

If you get stranded on a deserted island, what's your main priority?

How good were these questions actually?

5gen

jumper
Do you have a standard approach you like to use when building a team?

My approach is to find a Pokemon, set, or core that looks fun and will catch common styles, teams, and Pokemon in use. I really like finding techs and making them work as well as building solid, standard type teams. My one approach I apply to all teams is having a wincon, so I tend to use setup sweepers or breakers and usually have a game plan against common Pokemon, styles, or teams. For ladder I aim for fun stuff that's consistent. In a tournament setting I try to use something I like, something I'm comfortable with, and something I know can outplay a range of styles.

Anything you like to do to warm up (or cool down?) before a tour game?

I always get some nerves before team tour games because I'm playing for the team and not myself, so as a warm up I listen to some music and look over the team I plan to use. This ZUPL, week 1 was especially bad for me as I did not clear my head and formulate a game plan, and because of that I've been trying to think ahead more and more. Most of the time I play on autopilot and don't plan out as well as I can, which is a bad habit I have. Important thing before a game is to go into it as usual, the game is the game and thinking things through wins games. Music helps to ease my nerves. Funny enough I don't get any nerves in individual tours so I don't bother with a warm up. More often than not I look over and analyze my teams off the top of my head as opposed to thoroughly testing them.

Any mons you think are overrated rn?

Nothing really. I used to think Pinsir was overrated and deserved to drop from A+. However, after testing it some more I don't think it's as bad as I thought it was (compared to A+). Could be top of A because I feel it is more matchup dependent than the other A+ ranks.
Hey 5gen,

Outside of Basketball anime, what shows are you into right now?

Hey. I never actually watched any basketball anime, read Slam Dunk a good four times over I swear it's incredible. Does not get old. I'm one of those people that read manga over watching anime though, except when it comes to anime moves. In terms of shows, this past month I finished The Sopranos and The Wire, two incredible TV shows. Sopranos is simply amazing and super enjoyable. The Wire also shares those traits and its stories and arcs are very intriguing imo. The storytelling in it hooks you (even if it starts slow and is slow in some parts). Other than not I'm not into other shows. Might check out Power because a friend recommended it.

What do you think is my best alt name?

Tbh I'm not able to recall half of them. Kimmy Jang Fun is my pick for the best one.

Left
or Right Twix?

If you get stranded on a deserted island, what's your main priority?

Trying not to die. Looking for a water source or a reflective object.

How good were these questions actually?

Just gonna leave this here

What's your favorite part about ZUPL?

When do you think you will quit mons? Is there an event or something you think would trigger it? And don't give me any of that "when it stops being fun" bs cop-out answer!

What is your go-to breakfast?

Any advice for someone who never has anything to ask in these kinds of threads but wants the user to know he appreciates them?

For real though, you're one of the coolest and coolest dudes on Smogon. I always look forward to seeing you on and talking or sparring with you.

Last edited:

5gen

jumper
What's your favorite part about ZUPL?

Watching my teammates play because hat's the part of ZUPL that excites me most and seeing the week's prep put into use is incredibly fun. Our goal is to have fun and win, and while we lost the first two weeks, there's been a lot to learn from. Moreover, I've personally enjoyed watching my teammates play and skill because I tend not to watch replays.

When do you think you will quit mons? Is there an event or something you think would trigger it? And don't give me any of that "when it stops being fun" bs cop-out answer!

When life gets too busy and I have other priorities, and there is a team capable of leading ZU without me (TL too for that matter) is when I would quit mons. There's also the fact that game freak needs to keep the games enjoyable and balanced for singles tiers. If Pokemon deteriorates as a franchise then I'd probably lose interest.

What is your go-to breakfast?

Eggs, scrambled or fried with some tomatoes and pita bread (with the occasional mortadella).

Any advice for someone who never has anything to ask in these kinds of threads but wants the user to know he appreciates them?

:luvdisc:

For real though, you're one of the coolest and coolest dudes on Smogon. I always look forward to seeing you on and talking or sparring with you.

Thanks man, it's always fun when we talk and play. Looking forward to see you dabble in SM this ZUPL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)