Tailwind

New Moves:
Acrobatics
Helping Hand
Tera Blast

Pros:
  • Great defensive typing, with a great defensive ability in Static
  • Excellent 125 SPA stat
  • Amazing STAB options with Discharge, Thunderbolt, and Hurricane, as well as decent coverage with Heat Wave and potentially Tera Blast
  • Useful utility with Volt Switch and many ways to inflict paralysis, as well as Roost giving it longevity
  • Benefits from reduced Knock Off distribution, letting it preserve its HDB better
Cons:
  • Lost a lot of moves in Gen 9, most notably Defog and Toxic, which hinders its utility a lot
  • Roost PP being cut in half limits its longevity
  • Can still be prone to its item being removed via Knock Off from Pokemon it can reasonably check otherwise
  • Ground types like Ting-Lu and Clodsire can prevent it from pivoting into other mons with Volt Switch
Tera Potential:
  • Tera Flying is likely the best offensive Tera, boosting the power of Zapdos’ already powerful Hurricane
  • Tera Steel seems like an appropriate defensive Tera, turning its weaknesses to Ice and Rock into resistances
  • Alternitavely, Tera Fire only gives you an Ice resist, but it boosts the power of Heat Wave
Potential sets:
Physically Defensive
Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Steel / Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch / Discharge
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost

This set lets Zapdos make good use of its ability and typing to check most physical threats that don’t threaten it super effectively. 152 Speed and Timid Nature lets it outspeed Great Tusk, which lets it also outspeed other threats like H-Samm, which it threatens to OHKO both even without Special Attack investment. The remaining EVs goes into its HP and physical defense

Rain Sweeper
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Volt Switch

This is a very similar set to one that was used in SS. In fact, the only reason its different at all is because Zapdos lost Weather Ball in Gen 9

Verdict:

Yeah, its pretty good. Despite the loss of some important moves its still able to do its job fantastically, even if its role may be more limited than before. How do you think Zapdos will perform in Gen 9? Will it preform better than ever, or will power-creep finally catch up to it?

Last edited:
Yeah, but I actually think that it might just not good enough anymore

Physdef zap is still great, but it feels harder to slot onto teams
I've found alot of success using zapdos as a defensive pivot because of its typing it is able to tank alot of heavy hitters, many of which despise being exposed to a 30% paralysis chance like zamazenta-h

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost

What I've been running lately. Speed for Hydreigon and below which primarily covers Urshifu-R and some other things. Tera Type based on team needs, lot of mine are Dragon for an emergency out against weather mons when my priority isn't positioned. Will be a staple when meta slows down.

Yeah it really is still quite good, I kinda thought Zapdos was underwhelming at first like torn-t but both pokemon seem to still be insanely good despite the nerfs, despite being a far cry from what they once were.
Everything is in the same boat and both of them still have the tools to carve out a solid niche. For good old zappy it's still got it's weather based set, and while it lost defog and roost is now 8pp it's typing and access to 2 pivoting moves with static or pressure make it a fantastic pivot.

Idk if I've just had bad luck, but static is supposedly only 30% chance of causing paralysis but it's happened to me in basically every match for years. It feels more like 90% and it makes it extremely irritating when I have the momentum going and then all of a sudden I get paralyzed and picked off.

Zapdos is freaking good even without static. Good stats and electric+flying is a decent defensive typing as it can frustrate fighting and ground types while it's stats allow it to survive against even some strong hits depending on your investments. I'm surprised it still doesn't have a reliable flying special move like aerial ace, what were thinking giving it acrobatics but no reliable stab moves?

Idk if I've just had bad luck, but static is supposedly only 30% chance of causing paralysis but it's happened to me in basically every match for years. It feels more like 90% and it makes it extremely irritating when I have the momentum going and then all of a sudden I get paralyzed and picked off.

Zapdos is freaking good even without static. Good stats and electric+flying is a decent defensive typing as it can frustrate fighting and ground types while it's stats allow it to survive against even some strong hits depending on your investments. I'm surprised it still doesn't have a reliable flying special move like aerial ace, what were thinking giving it acrobatics but no reliable stab moves?
hate to break it to you bud but aerial ace is a physical move, and it's had access to hurricane since SS

hate to break it to you bud but aerial ace is a physical move, and it's had access to hurricane since SS
The person knows Ace is physical. They want a reliable special move comparable to the "reliable" option that is Ace on the physical aside. Setting aside the fact that Ace sucks, the only good special flying move is Hurricane and at 70% accuracy it is far from reliable so wouldn't meet what they want. After that the next strongest non-signature option is Air Slash which is blow 80 power and still misses. Zap also doesn't get it.

The person knows Ace is physical. They want a reliable special move comparable to the "reliable" option that is Ace on the physical aside. Setting aside the fact that Ace sucks, the only good special flying move is Hurricane and at 70% accuracy it is far from reliable so wouldn't meet what they want. After that the next strongest non-signature option is Air Slash which is blow 80 power and still misses. Zap also doesn't get it.
80 base and it misses?! Ouch.

80 base and it misses?! Ouch.
Not 80, 75. But a 30% flinch chance and 60% with Serene Grace means it has some reason to not have 100% acc. Though I think Game Freak just wants certain types to not have access to 100% acc moves. See also most physical rock attacks being below 100%.

Not 80, 75. But a 30% flinch chance and 60% with Serene Grace means it has some reason to not have 100% acc. Though I think Game Freak just wants certain types to not have access to 100% acc moves. See also most physical rock attacks being below 100%.
I completely forgot about the after effects, good call. I'm used to it OHKOing me through Breloom usage, so I thought it was a niche pick for that reason alone.

But Dundunsparce exists and whatnot.

Exactly, hurricane is incredibly powerful but high risk, high reward unless you have an ability or item to reduce the low accuracy or you have a rain team. Zap's only consistent reliable stab damage are electric moves which are useless against ground and resisted by grass and dragon. This reduces it's threat level on offense quite a bit.

I have no idea why GameFreak insists on lowering the accuracy for Rock types as if they're these consistently great mons lol.

Similarly, it's weird fighting types rarely have consistently powerful moves that don't have crippling side effects (lowering the user's defense, speed, etc). Fighting types can be powerful with the right set up, but they often heavily struggle in OU and Ubers so again I'm not sure what Gamefreak is so worried about. Rolling Kick is a measly 60 base power but has 85% accuracy...?! Submission has recoil and 80% accuracy for only 80 damage?

I have no idea why GameFreak insists on lowering the accuracy for Rock types as if they're these consistently great mons lol.

Similarly, it's weird fighting types rarely have consistently powerful moves that don't have crippling side effects (lowering the user's defense, speed, etc). Fighting types can be powerful with the right set up, but they often heavily struggle in OU and Ubers so again I'm not sure what Gamefreak is so worried about. Rolling Kick is a measly 60 base power but has 85% accuracy...?! Submission has recoil and 80% accuracy for only 80 damage?
I'd argue Close Combat is one of the single best moves in the game. Arguably too good if I'm being perfectly honest. And Game Freak is always weird about moves. Why is Arm Thrust only 15 power for example when other multi hit are 25 Why did they nerf Aura Sphere from 90 power to 80 when the Gen 1 special moves all get to stay at 90 and have actual upside.

Exactly, hurricane is incredibly powerful but high risk, high reward unless you have an ability or item to reduce the low accuracy or you have a rain team. Zap's only consistent reliable stab damage are electric moves which are useless against ground and resisted by grass and dragon. This reduces it's threat level on offense quite a bit.
To keep this on topic though, I will say that generally the high risk high reward moves are the preferred ones. Yea, it sucks that Hurricane is gonna miss a bit less than a third of the time, but the damage output over say a Flying type T-Bolt is enough that it would probably be used used more, especially on offensive variants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)