your favorite pokemon of every type

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't actually know this many favourites off the top of my head, so I did some quick runs through a favourite Pokemon picker to inform this. Not 100% sure about a couple of these but overall it looks about right.

1636182304977.png

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't know what took me so long to get around to posting this, but I've actually had my third part of my regional picks done for about a week now. To make up the wait to you guys, however, I've also added in a bonus section for Mega Evolutions at the end. Stay tuned for Part 4 which will go over my picks for Gigantamax forms as well.

Unova picks:
C35243C0-452F-4C6A-A83B-CE0B96CAB476.jpeg

Kalos picks:
5B9EC609-73FF-4636-9E9E-ECA5D5656E69.jpeg

BONUS: Mega Evolutions
87F6BB0B-601F-491D-9AA6-3C7A8A473E45.jpeg

Not much to go over here except that Latias & Latios are once again a tie, with me picking Latias for the icon to share the love a little bit. (Plus, I'm in the middle of finishing Alpha Sapphire right now, and I love the Eon Flute, so there's that.) Also, despite the infamous lack of options in the newer half of the list of regions, I'm actually quite fond of both Vivillon and Dragalge, and the same actually goes for Crabominable in Alola.

Edit: Can we just talk about how many incredible Bug-Types are from Unova? This was, without question, the hardest decision of my entire little series I'm doing here.

Edit: Can we just talk about how many incredible Bug-Types are from Unova? This was, without question, the hardest decision of my entire little series I'm doing here.
In my personal opinion, ALL of the Unovan Bug-type families have something cool or endearing about them.

If Scyther wasn't already one of my top favorites of all time (and my first ever level 100 Pokemon), I'd probably STILL be deciding which of the Unovan Bugs would earn the position as my favorite Bug-type.

I actually ran a Monotype Bug Triples Team during B2W2's WFC days, and surprisingly, I had more success with things like Accelgor and Leavanny than with a balanced team.

cc7879eba3f427aff4d369c5d5defc48.jpg

I think I've slowly been converted to a bug catcher over the years.

Also my anti Gen 7/8 bias is showing, but Vikavolt gets an honorable mention as a runner-up Electric type. A beetle with a railgun for a face is cool and all, but Galvantula is a spider so it wins by default.

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This is my list thingy!
1670263515422.png

I must admitt there are some types where I don't have the strongest feelings about any of them, specifically Fighting, Rock, Bug, and Steel.

I would also like to mention that there are mons I had to leave out of this due to shared typing, so here are the most notable ones:
Water: Piplup
Normal: Cinccino and Porygon-Z
Electric: Ampharos
Ghost: Misdreavus
Dragon: Latios and Latias
Fairy: Togekiss

I suppose with this resurfacing, It's time to append to the list of favourites by gen.

Normal: :dudunsparce:
It's stupid in a good way.
Fire: :iron moth:
The AI revolution has begun.
Grass: :brambleghast:
Interesting signature ability. Also spikes.
Water: :veluza:
Sharpness is cool, I guess.
Electric: :sandy shocks:
A goofy joke that still retains Magneton looking good
Bug: :lokix:
Still enough of an odd design to make up for Spidops missing an evolution.
Fighting: :iron hands:
As a Warhammer player, I find the name entertaining. Also a good setter for my stupid Electric Terrain MonoFighting team.
Psychic: :armarouge:
Guy with megaman avatar likes megaman-looking mon, what a surprise.
Ground: :ting-lu:
A fun time to battle with while being an honorary objectmon.
Rock: :garganacl:
Salt Cure is a fun move.
Poison: :glimmora:
Spikes lol.
Dark: :iron jugulis:
Previous policy on not duplicating evolutionary lines excludes Kingambit.
Flying: :squawkabilly:
Funny leak season we got.
Steel: :revavroom:
Meets my high expectations of its type combination.
Ghost: :ceruledge:
See my entry for Psychic
Ice: :iron bundle:
At this point, being in Ubers is more entertaining than staying playable normally. Like, delibird's been the butt of competitive jokes since gen 2, and now a version of it is too strong.
Dragon: :miraidon:
Add another robot.
Fairy: :iron valiant:
I already liked both robots and Gallade.

Normal, Water, Flying, and Ice were the hardest to find something for, had to reposition the birds to fit.

I suppose I could do a Hisui/Paldea list. Keep in mind this is subject to change the more I get familiar with the latter group, of course:

Grass:

I was Team Sprigatito pretty much from the start, and this only validated my decision. Especially with its ridiculous utility in battle and awesome-even-if-nerfed Ability.

Fire:

Futuristic version of my favorite Pokemon of all time. Enough said.

Water:

We finally got a dolphin. And a ridiculously powerful one at that.

Normal:

The Ribombee Award winner for Gen 9: I went in expecting nothing, yet I found it fun to use in-game when I played Violet. I have a feeling I'm going to have some fun using this thing in online battles as well with Prankster-buffed Toxic and Parting Shot.

Electric:

Sentient Lightcycle dragon. Enough said.

Psychic:

Gotta admit I was a little disturbed at first when I saw its neck and it took a bit for me to get past it, but I'm happy Girafarig finally got some sort of improvement and Armor Tail is an awesome Ability. I've since grown to like it as a result.

Fighting:

I can't help but love its design, battle capabilities, and how it carries the player around in a basket when climbing slopes.

Rock:

"Holy Crab" earned its nickname for being a surprisingly clutch mon in several situations for me. Anger Shell can be absolutely evil if you know what you're doing with it.

Ground:

Guts, Base 140 Attack, and Ground STAB. Yeah... I'm pretty stoked to see what this thing can do once it becomes usable in standard battles.

Flying:

Me after evolving a Wattrel for the first time: "You're telling me we finally have a non-legendary Electric/Flying mon that doesn't suck? Sign me the fuck up."

Bug:

STAB First Impression and Sucker Punch. Sure hope you brought your best priority blocker - you're going to need it when this thing is around.

Poison:

I initially wanted a Paldean Quagsire that kept the skull-and-crossbones gills Paldean Wooper had, but this is a respectable alternative.

Dark:

As Shiny Umbreon has proven, sometimes a simple color swap can make a world of a difference. Turning Samurott's scalchops black may as well be the new iteration of that. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing can do with Sharpness-boosted Ceaseless Edge and Razor Shell.

Ghost:

I already loved Zoroark before it gained an even better typing, so this didn't even take a second thought.

Ice:

I hate to sell Baxcalibur short, but this is too badass to pass on. Blame whoever keeps coming up with all these awesome sword-based Pokemon - first Aegislash, then Zacian, now this.

Steel:

The Lumineon Award winner for Gen 9: The thing I alone seem to love or unironically use in battle. In this case, we have Garchomp's best Doubles friend since Eelektross.

Dragon:

Take another of my all-time favorites, make it look even more badass, and buff it in the stats that matter, and you have yet another easy lock for this list.

Fairy:

Robot Gallade. The other Fairy-types available were pretty underwhelming, so why not?

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I suppose I could do a Hisui/Paldea list. Keep in mind this is subject to change the more I get familiar with the latter group, of course:

Fire:

Futuristic version of my favorite Pokemon of all time. Enough said.
Hey, nothing wrong with that. One of the more underrated parts of being a Pokémon fan is trying to picture in my head how other fans (in this case you) react to learning about and/or seeing situations like this for the first time.

(This post was made by the "I wanted the other Johto starters alongside Cyndaquil to appear in Hisui" Gang)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haven’t added anything from Gen 9 yet, I can think of one Fire/Ghost replacement at this point though for sure. Still slowly trundling through and enjoying the game.

66D2C5A1-282A-4760-8C48-6704A8241910.jpeg

Gen 1 - 0
Gen 2 - 5
Gen 3 - 1
Gen 4 - 7
Gen 5 - 1
Gen 6 - 0
Gen 7 - 3
Gen 8 - 1

Unsurprising considering those 3 are the games I’ve played the most.

Last edited:

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Grass:
:smoliv:

precious. arboliva is nice too, grass-type families havent struck such a chord in myself ever. its probably my favorite grass now with arboliva coming at a close second.

Fire:
:chi-yu:

probably my favorite pokemon introduced in g9 this mon is beautiful its MY little flaming goldfish. competitively its hilariously powerful too, definately something you'd not expect from the tiny goldfish of the group. also, its kinda neat how canonically chi-yu can beat the other four, since its scarlet entry explicitly state it can easily melt rocks and sand, meaning it can just, kinda, destroy ting-lu's body. and obviously the 5400 fahrenheit flaming goldfish would make quick work of the animate snow and pile of dead leaves.

Water:
:tatsugiri:

1670379812876.png

isnt it adorable

its also got some shockingly nice (minimaxed) stats, complete with np. pretty neat.

Normal:
:dudunsparce:

[godly gift]

dudunsparce used boomburst!

Electric:
:sandy shocks:

competitively i love this thing. the thing is right now, almost no (meta) electric switchins would like to take an earth power and vice versa, making shocks stab combo shockingly (heh) good (if slightly prediction reliant). not to mention how cool hadron shocks is in aaa. design-wise ive grown to like it, it just looks neat.

Psychic:
:armarouge:

i really like the design, even more than ceruledge's initially (though ive grown to like ceruledge more, mostly because armarogue's psychic typing threw me off so much). i strongly believe it 100% looks like a not-psychic type tho. still, its not like its competition is impressive, to me anyway.

Fighting:
:iron-valiant:

im completely obsessed with this mon competitively. the sheer magnitude of sets it can run is totally unreal. not to mention with flutter banned in many places valiant becomes the de facto offensive fairy. design wise...i just like it. i really, really like it. idk why. maybe because i already like gardevoir and feel that mixing it with gallade's bades only made it better? its still my second favorite mon of g9 tho.

Rock:
:glimmora:

its so pretty. glimmora's showdown sprite (and whatever sprite it was taken from in-game) does not do it justice. when it opens up like ingame it is perhaps the prettiest mon in all of g9 and i love it. competitively it really has potential to be a nice disruptive attacker with an interesting typing, nice coverage, and corrosion to uniquely disrupt stuff. but of course its other ability toxic debris, access all hazards except webs as well as dual screens, signature mortal spin, and memento automatically fates it to be locked into ou as a suicide lead, at least for now.

Ground:
:clodsire:

clod.

Flying:
:iron-jugulis::bombirdier:

i probably like bombirdier a bit more mostly because jugulis is weirdly small, even smaller than regular hydrei. but hydrei has been one of my faves for a while and it just looks cool. competitively dark/flying is neat and it gets some really cool coverage, but gf didnt give it np or roost like the morons they are. bombirdier imo just looks nice. rocky payload is also a really cool ability mostly because rock is such an underused type in both bh and aaa, i wonder what people will do with it.

Bug:
:slither-wing:

the complete lack of competition helps. it is also hilariously over 3 meters tall, making it the biggest bug AND the biggest fighter (even taller than koraidon, mind you). which is just hilarious imo. the massive size also looks incredibly comfy to just snuggle in. competitively i fit it on surprisingly many teams as one of the better great tusk answers around, and fimp wisp and uturn are all such nice tools. it also helps that volcarona is one of my two favorite pokemons, although i still greatly prefer volc to slither.

Poison:
:iron-moth:

again, volc is one of my two all-time faves (other being dewgong). and i think iron moth's design is really cool. i like the showdown 2d model more than the in-game model, honestly. it just looks so geometric. competitively boots pivot moth finds its way on a couple of my teams and i really love using it. in aaa its desoland set both hit hard as hell (thanks to being a 140 spa fire) and is one of the best checks to primsea iron bundle, which is neat, though resists to its attacks are so unreasonably common.

Dark:
:roaring-moon::chien-pao:

chi-yu aside, im again indecisive, though im leaning towards moon a bit. moon's design is just so wickedly cool imo and ive always been a fan of mmence. competitively im a fan of vanilla dd/acro/eq/crunch set because ground/flying is so damn good and moon is so damn strong. with chien i just like ice-types, i think it has a neat design (not as much as moon's tho), and competitively in stabmons chien goes completely nuts but even outside of that dark/ice with that stat spread and sword of ruin is so strong. yes both of these outrank jugulis and bombirdier.

Ghost:

i tried to keep it exclusively to sv, but hisuian zoroark hit home for me in so many ways i could not not put it here. the typing, the design, the very neat competitive merit, the typing.... and the design and typing....

:ceruledge::flutter-mane:

with sv its these two. ive always been a fan of ghosts and they both just look nice. ceruledge's design is so elegent although i do wish its legs were a bit less, err, wide. playing with opulse ceruledge in aaa is definately what made it on par with flutter imo tho. flutter is just a bigger, fancier misdreavus, but i think thats what misdreavus needed anyway, so no qualms with that. ghost/fairy also happens to be the two most spammable stabs in the game (tarrows aside), and i enjoy clicking a stab and seeing almost no resists on the other side.

Ice:
:chien-pao::baxcalibur::iron-bundle:

3 way tie. bax looks like naked duraludon with a spike attached but somehow doesnt look too bad and dd glaive rush sets completely sold it for me. people say tera ground is the way. i disagree, teras dragon, and cancels the poor unfortunate soul standing in front of me. who cares about the drawback when the guy in front of me dies and the guy that comes in next also dies. bundle is just what ive always wish gf did with an ice-type. its fast and strong and posess an amazing stab combo. effortlessly taking kills with this in aaa is kinda fun ngl, althought that may make me kind of a sadist. ive talked about chien in the dark section. these three were just, generations of ppl wanting good offensive ice-types coming into fruitation. and i love them.

Steel:
:goodra-hisui:

ik this is pla but i dont rly like any of the sv ones. im not a huge fan of goodra either, but im still kinda pissed they took away overcoat which wouldve made it so damn good in bbp. rip 90/8/12 bulk with dragon/steel that evolves from base goomy = does not have a completely terrible g9 movepool.

Dragon:
:baxcalibur::tatsugiri:

all talked abt above

for the covers i prefer korai slightly designwise but mirai competitively almost everywhere. bh finally gets a good special electric.

Fairy:

both valiant and flutter (my second choice) are already up there, the other ones arent bad. fidough is absolutely adorable and scream tail is neat and has pixiburst in oms where it can access it, which is cool. but valiant is still so far and away #1 here i cant stick them in this slot in good faith.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)