your favorite pokemon of every type

Kalos is gonna be pretty quick then. :psysly:
I wonder if there are any regions where there's literally one Pokemon line to choose from?

Sinnoh's Dragons are only the Garchomp line and the Box legendaries. In terms of Fire types, it's literally just Infernape, Rotom-Heat, and Magmortar if you don't count it as a Kanto mon

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I wonder if there are any regions where there's literally one Pokemon line to choose from?

Sinnoh's Dragons are only the Garchomp line and the Box legendaries. In terms of Fire types, it's literally just Infernape, Rotom-Heat, and Magmortar if you don't count it as a Kanto mon
I’ll take this one step further. You see all those Dark-Types in Kanto?

Yeah, neither do I. They just don’t exist. The only ones that do are either Mega Evolutions or regional variants. The only thing that comes even close is Umbreon if one was to consider every Eeveelution as a Kanto-native Pokémon. I can’t think of any other time in any region where this has been the case where zero evolution families fit the bill.

As for types with only one evolution line, those are quite a bit more common. Here’s the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Kanto: Steel
Johto: Ghost, Dragon
Unova: Fairy
Kalos: Bug, Poison

EDIT: Alola: Ice, but only if regional variants are NOT considered.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I’ll take this one step further. You see all those Dark-Types in Kanto?

Yeah, neither do I. They just don’t exist. The only ones that do are either Mega Evolutions or regional variants. The only thing that comes even close is Umbreon if one was to consider every Eeveelution as a Kanto-native Pokémon. I can’t think of any other time in any region where this has been the case where zero evolution families fit the bill.

As for types with only one evolution line, those are quite a bit more common. Here’s the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Kanto: Steel
Johto: Ghost, Dragon
Sinnoh: Dragon
Unova: Fairy
Kalos: Poison
So are you counting Regional Variants as only for their Gen (as seen with the Gen I) or are you also allowing them for the gen they were introduced? Alola and Galar would also be selective on certain Types if it wasn't for the Regional Variants.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
So are you counting Regional Variants as only for their Gen (as seen with the Gen I) or are you also allowing them for the gen they were introduced? Alola and Galar would also be selective on certain Types if it wasn't for the Regional Variants.
Here are my actual criteria that unfortunately don’t quite match up with the website we’ve been using. The website requires we fill in every type and don’t leave any blanks.

-Regional variants count as species from the new region (evidence comes from Gen 8’s regional evolutions)

-Mega Evolutions don’t count as a native type since Megas aren’t in every region

-Oh also, if a Pokémon changes its type mid-evolution, both typings will be accounted for but only in their specific stages (Example: Charmander is not a Flying-Type)

I apologize if this wasn’t very clear originally.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Hooray, it’s time for “favorite Pokémon of every type” from each region Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

This time we’ll be looking Hoenn and Sinnoh. A few Hoenn picks are actually tie between Pokémon in respective pairings, so I chose the ones I specifically grew up with more for continuity’s sake. Those would be Plusle/Minun and Latias/Latios respectively.

Hoenn picks:
3DDDB820-BE19-4F94-8F8F-F1957F314AD2.jpeg

Sinnoh picks:
04C81A18-BB0E-4AAE-B77A-A9EDEB60F4EB.jpeg

One last detail you may have missed: I always try to avoid choosing a Pokémon if I have already chosen a member of its evolution line from a different region. Just to share the wealth a bit, you know? also skarmory is a hoenn pokemon, change my mind

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
also skarmory is a hoenn pokemon, change my mind
Skamory, Volbeat, Illumise, and I'm sure many others I always have to take a few seconds to remember which Gen they're from. I don't know why, something about Skarmory at first glance says Gen III and something about Volbeat & Illumise says Gen II.

Skamory, Volbeat, Illumise, and I'm sure many others I always have to take a few seconds to remember which Gen they're from. I don't know why, something about Skarmory at first glance says Gen III and something about Volbeat & Illumise says Gen II.
If it helps you feel better, Illumise is most likely a Sugimori design, like a lot of contemporary Gen 2 mons (Elekid, Aipom, HootHoot)
And Volbeat DOES have some Gen 2 design connections (the curly antennae, the rounder head and body than Illumise, ball tail for both)

Skarm honestly also has some Gen 1 qualities in ambiguity. It's hard to tell if it's a crow (despite Murkrow existing), crane, or even a vulture. The eye shape and angularity helps
Though then it has late 2 and 3 qualities in looking a little more artificial for plating and pattern, and colored eyes

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Crabominable is good u are all just mean >:(
Cause we all played the original SM where we couldn't see if it was good or not cause we could only get it at the end of the game. And yes, USUM let you get it earlier, but at that time you were provided better options for Ice-types.

Crabominable is good u are all just mean >:(
Yeti crab would be a nice inspiration, but I don't like the results of it being a toothy overly round derp
Though that does bring us the question of design

Gens have gradually shifted into the more extreme, less animal/beastial, and potentially complicated or humanoid, though not smoothly (Gen 3 is more animalistic than 2 for example, and 2 is more blatantly contemporary). For people into Pokemon for being purely fictional, later gens typically will be preferred. For people into more simplistic, contemporary and cute designs, Gen 2 and most later Gen highlight mons fit the bill

For those more interested in rougher/hairier designs, 1, 3, and 5 generally are preferred

For those that want edgy, it can be a sparse mix across Gens. Corvinknight and Shadow Lugia probably being the edgiest

But with Pokemon constantly changing design philosophy, and the trends passing, it's hard to gauge designs. Pokemon can really be anything now

Unfortunately since the internet hates change, this is generally ignored. And Gen 8 had probably the most polarizing designs since Gen 4 cross evos

Personally what bugs me is how the art medium confuses people. 1 is closer to Gen 3 design wise than 2, yet 2 is treated as closer strictly cuz of the time and watercolor
Even though the base mon design is blatantly different for many early route mons, and cross evos

Overall, you do you. If we can accept FRLG downgrades redesigns, we can accept how Pokemon can and has a wide range of opinions

I decided to take it upon myself to do a favorites from each Gen as well.

Rules:

None except they have to be related to a Pokemon from that Generation (Regional variants are ok, because otherwise you'd be stuck on Gen 1. I count regional evos as a seperate Gen thing. This is way too complicated so whatever)

1635821977022.png

Honestly, this is a pretty solid Gen. There isn't anything here that I only picked because I was forced to (I actually like Alolan Muk and Galarian Meowth quite a bit). Are there any Pokemon here I'd consider to be in my top 10 favorite ever? Well Dragonite and Gengar are the top two so we're off to a good start. Overall, very nice offerings.
1635822110897.png

Also another pretty good generation, although this is another where I kinda had to improvise with a few. I love Misdrevous so I'm cool with it being the only ghost available but I had to resort to Mega Ampharos and Glowking because I genuinely didn't like anything else for those types this Gen. Typhlosion is in my top 10, and Wobbufett, Bayleef, Togepi, Forretress, and maybe Furret are somewhere in my top 50.
1635822261409.png

I'm repeating myself here but again, great Gen. There's nothing here that I only put because I had no other choice, except for Plusle, but it's cute anyway. I should note that after I made this I remembered Deoxys exists, that would take the place of my favorite Gen 3 Psychic, not Wynaut (but Wynaut is still amazing). Breloom and Gardevoir are in my top 10, while Mawile, Ludicolo, Sceptile, Rayquaza, and Shedinja are in my top 50.
1635822402809.png

This Gen did feel like it was kinda starting to force picks on me (cough cough Fire types) but I still like a lot here. Darkrai is one of my favorite mythicals and Pachirisu is my favorite Pikaclone for obvious reasons. Not much to really say here, to be honest. Torterra, Garchomp, and Weavile are probably somewhere in my top 10-20, while Lucario, Floatzel, Pachirisu, Darkrai, and Togekiss easily make top 50.
1635822531404.png

Gen 5 has a reputation of having less than stellar Mons. I disagree, but this list was a little weaker than my others. While I really like a lot of the Pokemon here, I can't say any are in my top 10. Whimsicott, Meloetta, and Zoroark are probably in my top 50.
1635822627423.png

Oh boy this Gen was tough. There is not a whole lot to choose from. The only Pokemon I actually like here and didn't pick because the options were limited are Chespin, Talonflame, Pancham, Amaura, and Klefki. That isn't to say the rest are bad, though. Again, none in my top 50, but I like Talonflame and Amaura.
1635822733453.png

It just gets worse with each Gen. Not in terms of design, but lack of options. Because Crabominable is definitely not my favorite anything. That said there are a lot of really cool options here. I love Rowlet, Incineroar, Drampa, and Marshadow. These two Oricorio forms and Magearna are dope too.
1635822897081.png

I'm gonna make this brief cause I'm getting tired. Very solid gen here. Nothing here I really dislike or only picked because I had no choice.

Here's my set by gen. Went with regional forms as in their original generation, and avoided duplicates in an evolutionary line. Not like I needed much for regular mons in gen 7 anyway.
1635765154574.png

Having a starter is actually a rarity for me. I always end up thinking of gen 1 as favouring poison types, but maybe that's just the mons I remember fondly. Not a massive fan of any options for Fighting, Dragon, or Fairy.
1635765542024.png

Legit had to redo this because I forgot Skarmory wasn't gen 3. Bug and Steel preferences really starting to show themselves. Felt the lack of options for dragon more than for ghost, despite both only providing one mon.
1635765819585.png

Notable for being the only gen that does not feature a legendary in its selection. Regice unfortunately came second for the category. Ran through the list of favoured Flying mons quickly, shame I couldn't have skarmory here.
1635766075813.png

Second of only two starters here. PMD writers had a good idea when they chose the mons for Team Raider. Was too careful putting my steel-types elsewhere on the list, with it as well as Dragon and Fairy feeling constrained
1635766343157.png

Where I feel I really got into Ghost types. While it's always there, this gen shows my love of objectmons most. Only Dragon felt off.
1635766621628.png

Not exactly a huge number of options here to choose from, especially since I'm not using any of the starters. Bug's the obvious thing here, but I had more trouble picking out Ground and Normal
1635766870346.png

Reject Alola, embrace Ultra Space. Ice was the only spot I felt constrained. Maybe I should have included regional variants in both gens.
1635767200318.png

I have nearly no experience with gen 8, so this is almost entirely on design preferences. The ones that I do remember fondly from misc Showdown games are Copperajah, Arctozolt, and Eternatus. Don't have enough data to know what felt like too small a pool

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 382276

Here's mine. Yeah, real unique I know
Actually, you’d be surprised for a few of them. It’s not every day I see another Kartana fan, and Toxapex typically gets more hate than love because of competitive play. Alolan Ninetales (typically I just use Vulpix to represent the family) is one of my top favorites in any type, and some mons like T-Tar and Heatran have their popularity change wildly over time.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Actually, you’d be surprised for a few of them. It’s not every day I see another Kartana fan, and Toxapex typically gets more hate than love because of competitive play. Alolan Ninetales (typically I just use Vulpix to represent the family) is one of my top favorites in any type, and some mons like T-Tar and Heatran have their popularity change wildly over time.
To be honest it was mostly Kartana and Toxapex's competitive prowess that landed them among my favorites. When I decided these, I always take singles competitive career into consideration even if it's not ou. That's why most of them like Garchomp and Milotic are top tier competitive mons at one point in time

Nothing wrong with having a "basic" list, popular Pokemon are popular for a reason

I'll take "basic" lists over the ones that try way too hard to be unique and quirky that have shit like Bruxish and Watchog on it
The thing I find odd about those kinds of lists is I can't even tell if it's a troll or not. Worse yet, if the list is actually legit favorite mons or not

To be honest it was mostly Kartana and Toxapex's competitive prowess that landed them among my favorites. When I decided these, I always take singles competitive career into consideration even if it's not ou. That's why most of them like Garchomp and Milotic are top tier competitive mons at one point in time

The thing I find odd about those kinds of lists is I can't even tell if it's a troll or not. Worse yet, if the list is actually legit favorite mons or not
Meanwhile I posted the furbait list as a joke
Couldn't figure anything for flying, but....

Didn't include any Legendaries or Mythicals (though there were a few I was tempted to include). Even with 2 list, it was hard choosing all my favorites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)