XY Metagame Speculation [SPOILERS ITT]

Sticky Web looks fantastic. Specs/Band mons will rise as they may no longer be checked by Scarfers due to the Speed Drop (like Specs Palkia not being outspeed by Scarf Kyogre) and stuff. I'm interested to see if it's a grounded hazard, and if anything notable gets it (Ariados and Galvantula will get it, I wonder if Genesect will?)
As for Geomancy, I do think that Xerneas will be the ultimate late game sweeper. However, Ubers is a Banlist first, and a tier second. Moody was banned because of the luck factor, as in, if you got lucky enough with the right boost, literally nothing would stop you.
You guys also have to remember that most legendaries are not available right now due to the Pokebank not being up, so no Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, or any of those. It'll be Ruby/Sapphire all over again.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sticky web seems like a staple akin to sr on offensive teams while defensive teams would also want it or tr. This will add a whole different level of speed tiers which seems nice.

This is assuming that it isn't limited to random spiders like ariados and galvantula

Ive been playing, and I just realised that Yveltal can learn U-Turn. Always a good thing for a strong attacker to have.

I don't get this "Xerneas Is broken" thing. It's dumb.

ExtremeKiller can plow through any team with one turn of setup once it's counters are removed or sufficiently weakened. And it can hold an item that doesn't just have one use. So it can potentially attempt a sweep more than once and doesn't have to worry about a "charge" turn. E-KILLER IS BROKEN!!!! Oh, no wait, it's not. It's a good set that you need to be prepared for but the metagame adapted and dealt with it. Same thing will happen with the sparkly deer. Calm down.

It looks like Roar and Whirlwind are now never-miss moves (their accuracy is listed as -- rather than 100). That makes BP teams even more dependent on Espeon than ever before. That also makes Moody on things not named Smeargle quite as broken, since stuff like Bibarel needs quite a few turns to start doing some damage.

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I agree with acreland. There were many things that were overhyped at release and didn't pan out to expectations. Requiring Power Herb for Geomancy to be useful already makes me skeptical. I'm not saying it's weak, but if Xerneas is forced off the field for any reason, its efficacy is significantly decreased. It is certainly not alone in the "one turn of setup punches holes in teams" department. I can see it ending up in a utility role, serving as a check to choiced Dragons that can't spam Outrage or Draco Meteor anymore.

The only two things that I really don't like about all of these changes are the weather nerf and the nerf to certain special attacks (i.e. Hydro Pump). Ubers has always been a weather-centric metagame, and the ability nerf has changed that forever. In my opinion, there should be a tier with the weather abilities "un-nerfed," if you will. I know it sounds crazy, but maybe it could work. As far as Xerneas is concerned, I'm really interested to see how it plays out. Hopefully it doesn't get Baton Pass, or B-Pass strategies may be even more relevant than ever, even with the slight nerf to Spore for those who run that kind of thing.

Basically the speed boost allows Modest Mewtwo-Y to now outrun +Speed Arceus, but not +Speed Darkrai. It doesn't gain enough special bulk to be able to tank Dark Pulses from Darkrai, so it probably still needs to be Timid.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Basically the speed boost allows Modest Mewtwo-Y to now outrun +Speed Arceus, but not +Speed Darkrai. It doesn't gain enough special bulk to be able to tank Dark Pulses from Darkrai, so it probably still needs to be Timid.
Yeah. Mewtwo Y is ridiculously powerful, but it should be able to live an unboosted non-LO Pulse from Darkrai. However, since there are no Darkrai available to fight at this time, that's only speculation. Here are its stats at level 50, Timid Flawless Speed/SpA/Defense: 180/149/90/246/126/211. I do not know exactly what its Special Defense IV is, however.

Step 1: Have Malamar
Step 2: Give it a focus sash
Step 3: Let someone kill one of your team with Power herb Geo Xerneas
Step 4: Get a free switch in on Xerneas with Malamar.
Step 5: Laugh as you reverse with geomancy with topsy turvy and screw over Xerneas

Step 5: Laugh as you reverse with geomancy with topsy turvy and screw over Xerneas
Or, you know, just switch in on Genomancy and save a Pokemon.

So I am new to ubers an all, and while mega mewtwo y does look amazing, does a mixed attacking mega mewtwo x get any benefit from a stabbed aura sphere?

I'd say no because if it's not using physical Fighting STAB, its strongest attack would be Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt, which is pointless because you could just use Psystrike on Mega Mewtwo Y to hit hard against physical defense. Actually, even regular Mewtwo with no item would hit harder using Psystrike than Mega Mewtwo X would with Psycho Cut.

Well Mewtwo X doesn't get any decent physical fighting moves. I tihnk brick break is the best it gets which is kinda sad they didn't let him use Highjump kick. Ubers coulda benefited from a super threatening fight stab.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mewtwo X gets Low Kick and Drain Punch from Gen 5 so those will do. Low Kick will especially hurt with all the fat Ubers.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd say no because if it's not using physical Fighting STAB, its strongest attack would be Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt, which is pointless because you could just use Psystrike on Mega Mewtwo Y to hit hard against physical defense. Actually, even regular Mewtwo with no item would hit harder using Psystrike than Mega Mewtwo X would with Psycho Cut.
Or you could use Psystrike in lieu of physical STAB on Mega Mewtwo X because it retains Mewtwo's base SpA.

Or you could use Psystrike in lieu of physical STAB on Mega Mewtwo X because it retains Mewtwo's base SpA.
But then you'd have to split EVs between Special Attack and Attack, which kinda defeats the purpose of Psystrike. 154 Special Attack isn't that impressive in Ubers with no item to boost it. For example, Mewtwo X with 0 Attack and 252 Special Attack EVs still does more damage with a STAB Low Kick than with a super effective Ice Beam on something like Arceus-Ground or Yvetal that has equal defenses and weighs enough to take a 120 BP hit from Low Kick. If it's like that for a super effective hit, it'll also be like that for neutral special STAB like Aura Sphere or Psystrike. You could probably lure in Groudon and surprise it with Grass Knot, but for pretty much everything else you'd be better off investing fully in Attack and using the physical move with slightly lower base power (like Ice Punch instead of Ice Beam).

If I were running Mewtwo X, I'd try something like Bulk Up, Taunt, Drain Punch, and a coverage move like Ice Punch or Shadow Claw. If you use Drain Punch wisely, you might be able to keep your health out of priority range. I was going to say out of killing range for specially-oriented Scarfers, but Kyogre can probably revenge it no matter what, and I don't know what else will be a good Scarfer since any Choiced Dragon attacks will let Xerneas set up for free.

Last edited:

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oops entry hazards.

Zygarde definitely won't be Uber at this rate, even though it can "check" Yveltal and Xerneas. I'm kind of glad... I'm tired of dragon-type legends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)