Quality Control XY Manaphy

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is going to be a pretty long term thing. I don't even know if it's going to actually be done, because it's Manaphy and the analysis might get scrapped entirely. Two people have used this Pokemon in like two years and I'm like 95% of that usage. More importantly, this was written pre-Volcanion, which is a big deal.

[Overview]

Being a pure Water type in XY DOU is difficult. Thundurus, Volcanion, Kyurem-B, and Amoonguss all number among the tier's top threats, and the only top Pokemon you can truly say you beat is Landorus-T. Manaphy is no exception. With a middling Special Attack stat and no particularly powerful moves, Manaphy doesn't end up on teams because of its own merits. It is a Pokemon you use because you want to use it. Perhaps you think it's cute, you find the even stat spread appealing, or you're feeling nostalgic for your old Diamond cart with Manaphy on it that got lost when you moved. Fortunately, Manaphy does have one merit over every other Water type: Tail Glow allows Manaphy to clear out some of the toughest Pokemon in the format, and turns pitifully weak attacks into lethal threats.

[SET]
name: Bulky Tail Glow
move 1: Tail Glow
move 2: Scald
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers / Safety Goggles
ability: Hydration
nature: Modest
evs: 208 HP / 116 SpA / 184 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

- This set is fairly simple both on paper and in practice: click Tail Glow and start attacking.
- Scald is Manaphy's most reliable STAB move, and the burn chance lets Manaphy fish for status in games where it can't set up.
- Ice Beam is Manaphy's most consistent second attack, hitting Thundurus and Amoonguss for super effective damage. It also hits Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Gastrodon, and Kyurem-Black who can't be beaten with Scald, though its damage output against these particular threats is lacking.
- Protect allows Manaphy to keep itself safe for a turn from powerful attacks, potentially letting its partner deal with that threat, and also lets Manaphy burn opposing Tailwind or Trick Room turns. The added safety from Protect heavily outweighs the benefits an additional coverage move could provide.
- The listed EVs OHKO standard Amoonguss with +3 Ice Beam and outrun Adamant Landorus-T. The remaining EVs are invested in HP for added bulk, and with Leftovers it has enough HP to take Mega Kangaskhan's Seismic Toss two turns in a row.
- Leftovers allows Manaphy to keep itself healthy over time with Protect. Safety Goggles allows Manaphy to set up on opposing Amoonguss undisturbed by Spore and attack freely into Rage Powder, and also offsets damage from Sandstorm similarly to Leftovers.
- Manaphy's shortcomings can be overcome by some of the best Pokemon in the format. Pokemon such as Thundurus, Talonflame, and Kyurem-B can provide speed control to allow Manaphy to move first and take knockouts without receiving damage back. Entry hazards from the likes of Landorus-T and Ferrothorn can augment Manaphy's damage with chip damage. Stealth Rock in particular also deals heavy damage to Thundurus, Volcanion, and Kyurem-Black, all of which pose a serious threat to Manaphy.
- As with any other setup sweeper, Manaphy loves redirection. Amoonguss can both Spore opposing threats and use Rage Powder to keep their attacks off Manaphy. Togekiss provides a direct answer to opposing Amoonguss with Air Slash and provides the same benefits as Rage Powder with its Follow Me. While somewhat niche, Raichu's Lightningrod completely neuters an opposing Thundurus, and it can use its own support moves like Fake Out and Nuzzle to provide Manaphy with additional setup opportunities.
- Once those support options have been provided, the best way to win with Manaphy is simply to pair it with good Pokemon. Mega Gengar holds a special place with Shadow Tag, which can allow you to pick off threats to Manaphy or hold down Pokemon that can't beat it to set up Tail Glow on.

[CREDITS]
Written by: attic j blorst
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

Last edited:

Charlotte

giraffe
is a Top Tiering Contributor
- As with any other setup sweeper, Manaphy loves redirection. Amoonguss can both Spore opposing threats and use Rage Powder to keep their attacks off Manaphy. Togekiss provides a direct answer to opposing Amoonguss with Air Slash and provides the same benefits as Rage Powder with its Follow Me. While somewhat niche, Raichu's Lightningrod completely neuters an opposing Thundurus, and it can use its own support moves like Fake Out and Nuzzle to provide Manaphy with additional setup opportunities.
I'm a little cautious on the Toge suggestion, unranked and very rare (I understand manaphy is also rare). I think it's fine to just have Amoonguss as the focused redirection mention. If another qc disagrees, I'm not upset at its inclusion at all though.

- Once those support options have been provided, the best way to win with Manaphy is simply to pair it with good Pokemon. Mega Gengar holds a special place with Shadow Tag, which can allow you to pick off threats to Manaphy or hold down Pokemon that can't beat it to set up Tail Glow on.
I think add an additional mon here, one that in particular helps with Volcanion since that's a tier1 mon that hard walls this Manaphy, and even if it isn't immediatly threatening, it does win the 1v1 with burn damage (or possibly sludge bomb poison). Mega Kangaskhan maybe good for this here, fake out to help support, and stoss goes hard into AV Volcanion and KyuB both. Otherwise, Thundurus: Speed control, super effective STAB vs Volc, Taunt to stop Amoonguss.
Not too much to say, it is manaphy after all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)