"Worst Pokémon Ever"

I never knew people like to rip bad Pokemon a new one to the extent with the "Worst Kalos" thread. But I think we (as a community) need to up the ante. Let's widen the scope to offend the offensive, to humiliate those who have humiliated, let's judge:

The Worst Pokémon Ever! (forgive me, I needed to get a little festive with this one)

There are some rules that need to be stated to this thread.

1. Specify the category! A Pokémon can be bad for a number of reasons. Design, competitive use, in-game use, or whatever category you may think of, please specify why a Pokémon is bad in detail.
  2. Be unique with the nomination! Sure, we could be lazy and nominate stuff like Sunkern, Unown, and the like for obvious reasons (even though you can still nominate for those 'mons)...but that would lead to a quick and painful death for the thread. Let's be unique on our take of which Pokémon is bad.
  3. Be respectful of nominations! This should be an obvious one, people have different opinions. Just follow the "Golden Rule" and you will be fine here!
I hope that this thread opens a bevy of opportunities for everyone to have fun and have their say on such a broad topic. With that being said, have fun and let loose your opinions/nominations!

I nominate this:

1. Design - Spinda is downright horrifying to look at. When I was playing Ruby many years ago, it was the ugliest thing I had ever seen, and it was actually kind of scary. Not to mention it's so bland. I know each Spinda has a different spot design, but there's really no point.

2. Use - With a normal typing, 360 BST, 60's across the board, a terrible movepool, and no evolutions, I can't see why anyone would use this thing competitively or in-game for any reason.

I get that this is supposed to be a gimmicky pokemon, but this is the worst I've seen.

I guess I'm gonna be the first of many to nominate this atrociousness as worst pokemon ever:

Dedenne

Such a horrible pokemon in every way possible. Design? It's another fucking pikachu rip off. Use? It's stats and movepool are down right awful and it has no niche that I see of whatsoever. There's absolutely no reason why dedenne should be used in competitive, because it's outclassed by even PIKACHU.

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that Dedenne and Spinda are supposed to be weak. Why people here assume that every single Pokemon ought to be equally competitively viable is a complete mystery to me. They have terrible aesthetic designs, though.

My nomination is Jynx. She managed to offend the Afro-Carribbean race AND ruin gen V NU. In addition, I also associate the name with Halle Berry's character from Die Another Day, which nearly killed off the Jame Bond franchise for good.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I think Stunfisk is the worst. I am usually fair to all Pokemon but Stunfisk just pisses me right off, I really can't tolerate it at all.

However, I think somewhat objectively the Vanillite line has to be the worst? It's pretty much the main example people use when they argue that Pokemon designs are going downhill (that and Garbodor) and I think it's safe to just lump all three evolutions together because most people just know it as "that ice cream shit" anyway. It is a massive generalization to say that all the new designs are bad based on just a few Pokemon, but I agree that this Icecream line is just silly.

I will say that I like them more than Stunfisk though. Stunfisk looks like it literally is missing a brain and would die if it couldn't breathe autonomously; at least the Icecream Pokemon look happy, like they're having fun. I'm starting to warm up to them, even though I think objectively (as in, the most common opinion) they are considered the worst.

Bah! That's easy

Category: Design

Mr. Mime

1. You know gamefreak is running out of ideas when they decided to make a pokemon based on MIMES... owait
(Sorry, I needed to take that jab at genwunners)

2. It's humanlike in the worst way. I'm glad gamefreak never touched overtly human-esque designs ever again. That flabby face, knobby arms, lack of eyebrows, blech...

3. The name is not only lazy. (Imagine renaming Scrafty to Mr. Gangster). But it is also gender confused. Couldn't they have made MR. Mime a male only species in Gen II?

4. Gen 6 upped the creepy factor by making it a fairy(???) and bestowing it with the most disturbing animation I have seen in pokemon game

Last edited:
I'm nominating Luvdisc. Here's why:
1. Design. It's just a heart with eyes. It's one of the laziest Pokemon designs ever.
2. In-game/Competitive Use: It has a BST of 330, and no base attacking stat over 40. It's moveset isn't that great, either. There are so many better water types. It doesn't even have a gimmick outside of holding Heart Scales, which is its only use.

Last edited:
Dugrtio!

1) Design: It seems to me a very weird way to evolve and a very lazy design choice
2) Why does one diglett become three? Isn't it just three digletts instead of one dugtrio. The three heads/bodies seem to move freely up and down separately
3) If we look at Magnemites, they actually fuse into one entity, not like three magnets floating next to each other. (same with Weezing)
4) Eggxecute is okay too because it evolves into one entity like Magneton.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I nominate Drowzee and Hypno.
They suck competitively, and they look terrible. Drowzee has a phallic nose and Hypno looks like a creepy old man.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This is a tough one.

I think I'll put Dedenne at the overall top of my list. Not because it is a poor design (it is), or because it is competitively terrible (it is), but because it's not just unoriginal, it is the exact opposite of original.
Pikachu, being the franchise mascot and an overall cool cutemon from the first generation, turned out to be immensely popular. A small electric rodent with black, beady eyes, a squeaky cute cry and a happy and carefree behaviour. The kids loved it, and its name became just as famous as the term "Pokémon" itself.
So, when a new generations comes around, what does GameFreak do? Why, they make Pichu. It also became popular, featuring in a lot of media and sold loads of merchandise.
Naturally, they try to repeat the trick in the third generation. Plusle and Minun are generally well-received, if a little frowned upon because they look so much like Pichu.
Then Gen. IV and Pachirisu came around. The fans was beyond satisfied with the amount of cute, electric, suspiciously Pikachu-like rodents by now, but GameFreak decided to try to replicate the success yet again. It was generally seen as a poor attempt at emulating Pikachu, to try to sell more merchandise and plushies just as Pikachu and its successors had done so well.
Generation V, Emolga. A small electric rodent with black, beady eyes, a squeaky cute cry and a happy and carefree behaviour. Geez, when did we ever see that before? A secondary typing doesn't help it much. It's still widely regarded as a poor Pikachu clone. The fans responded largely with facepalms and frustration. "Okay, GameFreak, we've got it by now. Because there were two of them in Gen. III, we're actually ahead of schedule. Anyway, you've made enough of these now that we can fill an entire team with them. It's enough now, right? Right?"

Generation VI brought us many new takes on the Pokémon Lineup formula. The mandatory Metamorphosis Bug was given a spin by means of its design, essentially turning the GTS into a butterfly collection platform. The Early Route Bird was given a different typing than Normal. The Early Route Rodent was made somewhat uncommon, and its evolution inverted the concept of mandatory cuteness. The Legendary Trio was scrapped outright. But what about the Pikaclone? Having seen all this norm-breaking and variation, one would think that they had reconsidered the concept of Pikachu emulation too. But what did we get? A small electric rodent with black, beady eyes, a squeaky cute cry and a happy and carefree behaviour. Okay, it has a secondary Fairy typing, but its design doesn't reflect on this in any way. It's a lazy Pikachu clone without any distinguishing features. Another plushie-selling, Anime-spotlight-grabbing piece of cuteness trying to ride on the back of Pikachu's popularity. Included in the Gen. VI lineup just to fulfill that role. Not designed because of creative spirit or to be original. It had a very strict set of design specifications, and a role it was set to fulfill even before it was clear what it was going to look like, or what its special abilities were. A strict reminder of how commercial Pokémon really is. They're breaking the fourth wall with these Pikaclones, telling the viewers/players that since they liked the concept so well the first time, and paid lots of money to show their appreciation, they're going to get it again and again and again for as long as the franchise stays alive.

Other than that, Vanillish/Vanilluxe get honorable mentions for their ridiculousness. I would have liked them if they were designed to be icicles somewhat resembling ice cream cones, but instead they were created to be ice cream cones somewhat resembling icicles. A little too man-made-looking and derpy for my liking.

Barbaracle is just ugly and deserves to be featured on this list.

Garbodor, a frequent customer of lists like this, is a victim of poor graphics and a terrible choice of pose in all its appearances. If interpreted as being a terribly filthy, toxic creature living among garbage instead of being actual garbage come to life, it is actually quite a cool concept. A shame that GameFreak chose to display it as a derpy heap of silliness rather than a poisonous ogre scavenging landfills for food, using its smell and toxicity as a means of defense.

I personally think Audino is the worst Pokémon ever.

I hate pretty much everything about its design. It looks like it was designed by a four-year-old child IMO, with disproportionate body and random design elements that doesn't fit together at all: weird and ugly ears, stupid pompom tail, inelegant arms and legs, horrible color arrangement and dumb, inexpressive and repulsive face with glassy eyes and goofy smile. It doesn't look any cute or funny, actually it looks like... what the heck is that supposed to be? A zombified pig drugged with LSD? That's the best way to describe it I can imagine.

Also, Audino's niche as a Pokémon seems clear in gen V, it was made to be killed for fast experience grinding, the fact that it is the filler for rustling grass encounter slots in every single Unova route sans route 19 made this obvious and risible. I just can't like a Pokémon with a such design and niche in Pokémon games. And while it is no longer present on every route in gen VI, the fact than Fusiode Girls in Battle Chateau use a team full of Audino actually make the experience-grinding-thing niche even more risible.

I have a few other reasons to dislike Audino, but those are purely based on my gaming experience so they are irrelevant to nominate it as the worst Pokémon ever. To be honest I've never taken Audino seriously and I doubt I'll ever do.

Competitively, I have to admit Audino is not strictly horrible thanks to okay bulk and good movepool, still better than things like Delcatty, but still it is severely outclassed at everything it can do, and it really lacks of offensive presence (it doesn't even learn something like Seismic Toss or Foul Play). It's okay to use in NU I guess. Not great either in-game due to lack of offensive capabilities and because some of its best moves (Wish and Heal Bell) are egg moves, unless you really want to use your shards for your in-game team in the case of Heal Bell, and in-game you can just use healing items anyway.

Anyway I hope Audino will not be a Pokéball Pokémon in the next Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to go with Gokuzbu here and nominate Unown.
It was such a cool idea: Pokemon from an ancient civilization that inspired the letters of the current culture. But then they had to actually go make them. Some of them look decent. M, O, and a few others are passable. Most of them, however, are pretty lame.
Then they had to design the stats and moves. This is where everything went straight to Hell. A BST of 336? Defenses like wet paper combined with all the force of a tissue landing on your head? I can't see any reason at all why Game Freak thought that would be a good idea. And then the moveset. Or should I say, the move? Hidden Power, a 60 (formerly 70) Base Power move, is its ONLY MOVE. Being able to be any type doesn't matter when its ONE FUCKING MOVE. I just don't see why Game Freak had to take this cool, unique idea and turn it into the crappiest mons that ever lived. They exist purely as collectibles, ones that only the most die-hard completionists will go for. In short, Game Freak butchered what could have been a cool idea and created the worst set of Pokemon in the history of the game.

/rant

Gokuzbu never underestimate the power of +6 BP'd Unown with Specs:
+6 252+ SpA Unown Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 390-460 (120.3 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Unown Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 408-480 (100.9 - 118.8%)
+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Unown Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Milotic: 482-568 (122.3 - 144.1%)
+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Unown Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 1028-1212 (292 - 344.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Unown Hidden Power Ghost vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mewtwo: 634-748 (179.6 - 211.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Unown Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 523-616 (152 - 179%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Unown is deadly

Design: Is just a yellow mouse with a lightningbolt tail. Nothing special, nothing unique.
Use(in-game and competitive): Requires its signature item to do anything. Its signature move deals massive amounts of recoil. Small movepool. It makes paper look bulky.
0 Atk Riolu Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 123-145 (58 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO from an unboosted 75 BP attack from an uninvested LC with low attack, even by LC standards
252+ Atk Aron Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 97-114 (45.7 - 53.7%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO from an unboosted 80 BP NVE move from an LC with medium attack
252+ SpA Expert Belt Unown Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu: 204-240 (96.2 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO by a hidden power from an Unown, using an item it never would have any reason to run.
It fares even worse against foes you actually will see:
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 211-249 (99.5 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO from a move that effectively has 80 BP after STAB, and strikes for NVE damage, OHKOing after the set-up it usually has.
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 142-168 (66.9 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO with a 40 BP non-STAB move.
4 SpA Serperior Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu: 111-132 (52.3 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO from one of the weakest attackers you will see, using an uninvested 75BP attack.
Popularity: By far the most popular pokemon, it can be found anywhere. Backpacks, jackets, shirts, lunchboxes, billboards. It being Ash Ketchum's main does not help anything, nor does the fact that it appears in EVERY ANIME EPISODE. It gives a bad name to pokemon to all my friends that do not play the games.

Personally, I think Stunfisk is the worst. I am usually fair to all Pokemon but Stunfisk just pisses me right off, I really can't tolerate it at all.

However, I think somewhat objectively the Vanillite line has to be the worst? It's pretty much the main example people use when they argue that Pokemon designs are going downhill (that and Garbodor) and I think it's safe to just lump all three evolutions together because most people just know it as "that ice cream shit" anyway. It is a massive generalization to say that all the new designs are bad based on just a few Pokemon, but I agree that this Icecream line is just silly.

I will say that I like them more than Stunfisk though. Stunfisk looks like it literally is missing a brain and would die if it couldn't breathe autonomously; at least the Icecream Pokemon look happy, like they're having fun. I'm starting to warm up to them, even though I think objectively (as in, the most common opinion) they are considered the worst.
I actually really like Stunfisk because of just HOW "derpy" it is. I mean, there's no pretense with the guy. It's not a design that tried to be cool and failed, they wanted to make a silly looking pokemon and (in my opinion) they succeeded.

To me, Stunfisk can not fail at something he never tried to be :D.

I vote for the Kricketune of gen 4. With barely any good stats of 77/85/51/55/51/65 he's too slow to out speed anything except maybe rocks, his only worth while ability is technician (other being swarm but x1.3 bug attacks isn't as good as 90 bug bite) and monobug isn't exactly the best typeing to have being weak to the all important fire and flying and will take some damage from stealth rocks (not a lot, but more than normal).

He has a few useful moves (Bug bite, sword dance, taunt, perish song, brick break and night slash for coverage, fury cutter if you can get lucky and screech if you don't like sword dance) but with barely any speed, practically needing sword dance for damage and paper thin defense there's no hope for a physical attacker or support.

Design wise, I love it and that's the worst part. His siren cry is awesome and would have been great if he was half as common as Sableye is. Physically he's just a living chello with antenna and a mustache, nothing wrong there. If he had better speed and enough defense to survive a hit I would use him all the time in lower tiers. And that's why its so sad he doesn't have a chance.

"Unless you use all of dual screens, Memento, and Tailwind support, Kricketune really doesn't have a snow ball's chance in hell of sweeping." Say what you want about Stunfisk's design but atleast 109/64/84/81/99/32 ground-electric AND access to scald is useful. Kricketune doesn't have good stats and doesn't just waste a pokedex slot, it wastes it's design and badass cry.

Dugrtio!

1) Design: It seems to me a very weird way to evolve and a very lazy design choice
2) Why does one diglett become three? Isn't it just three digletts instead of one dugtrio. The three heads/bodies seem to move freely up and down separately
3) If we look at Magnemites, they actually fuse into one entity, not like three magnets floating next to each other. (same with Weezing)
4) Eggxecute is okay too because it evolves into one entity like Magneton.
There's plenty of pokemon who are worse because of their practicality, Dugdrio isn't that bad. It has 120 blazing speed, arena trap for anything not in the air making it useful for killing what's left of last turn's sweeper. Sure it's a weird design but atleast it has something to do other than sit in a collection box.

I think I'll nominate Magcargo for this one. Absolutely useless in competitive and in-game alike.

First introduced in GS, where it was only available after beating the E4, making its existence pretty much entirely pointless. Even for the maybe five people who bothered to raise the thing, they got a Pokemon slower than Golem. And its only stat above 80 is physical Defense, when it's weak to Fighting, Rock, and 4x to Ground. Yeah, that Defense is suuuuuure helpful.

Then DP introduced the physical/special split, which gave it yet another physical type its 120 base Defense didn't do a damn thing against. And introduced Heatran, which outclassed it in more ways than should be physically possible. And gave it possibly the most infamous Pokedex text fail out of all the games. I don't think I even need to mention specifics on that one.

BW threw it a bone with access to Shell Smash, except guess what? It's still too slow. Even in NU, even with Shell Smash, this thing was used all of never. Hell, even when there was a PU ladder I barely saw this thing.

But after all that, there's one thing that really gets me: its typing. It doesn't get noticed because Magcargo is the only thing that has it, but as bad a typing as Fire/Rock is defensively, offensively it is bloody amazing. There are 12 fully-evolved Pokemon in the entire game that resist that combination, and if you add Grass, that's perfect neutral coverage on everything. Even without Grass, 25 Pokemon out of the current OU tier are hit super-effectively by those STABs alone. An attacker with reasonably good offensive stats with that typing could be seriously nasty if it got the right boosting move. Magcargo gets freaking SHELL SMASH and with those stats, it's still a total joke and that typing gets completely neglected. Such a shame.

breh

強いだね
Seel.

It's a useless Water-type that evolves into an equally useless Water-type with worse typing (at least in gen 2 on) with a stupid design and an equally stupid name unrivaled by any other Pokemon.

Luvdisc comes pretty close in being top shitmon, as the sole purpose for its existence is to be a source of Heart Scales.

As bad in battle as Luvdisc may be, the fact that it is a source of Heart Scales means, to me, that it is actually quite useful. Even Unown is sort of cool from a collectors' perspective; I think everyone feels a sense of accomplishment when we get all of the different letters. (Although Vivillon certainly does it better.)

Dedenne, however, I really see no point for. Not only is it just another Pikaclone, it has awful stats, and no good move to utilize its Fairy-typing. I really think that Game Freak is pushing this whole electric mouse cutemon thing too far, and I definitely feel like Dedenne's slot could have been occupied with a much more interesting Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)