[Won by MrJelli] Showdown Genius Invitational - Main Match Thread

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
Well, well, well. Here we are.

First of all: thank you all so much. This has been an incredible and amazing journey. I have learned so much about the Genius world, hosting Geniuses, and myself as a leader and host from this event. The greatest Genius player (at least, online) is mentoring me and the community has treated me like gold, which I have nothing but gratitude for. My only regret is the length of time this event has taken; my players and the spectators are to be commended and have my gratitude for their patience, understanding, and graciousness.

In the next post, I'll be revealing the format of the finals, but here I want to give a shoutout to each of the eliminated players who fell to MrJelli and 11oyd.

Plas
fart
SPACE FORCE meeps
-Howkings
duck
Yoshi
Faisal
Ivy
Ransei
Dot Agumon
Clefable

Cyberpunk
It seems your account is no longer active here! That's a shame. I genuinely liked your application and the spirit you brought to the competition. I was expecting you to go quite far, but The Genius gives and The Genius takes. You definitely had a competitive spirit and an aggressive enthusiasm - would love to have you in a future Genius once my mentorship concludes.

Plas
Going from winning the first Main Match (even if a math error in your favor was involved on my end!) to immediately losing the next Death Match is a terribly raw deal. Much like cyberpunk, I expected you to go much farther than you did. This game is fickle and unpredictable - I hope you had fun with it.

Fart
The trend with unexpected early eliminations continues! You were the one who sank cyberpunk like an anchor in the sea with the Death Match, and it was clear you were having the time of your life with the scheming and the social plays - not bad preparation for a future lawyer, right? :)

SPACE FORCE meeps
cb jose altuve

Nah. I gotta give you more than that. You were one of the dominant players and I think a lot of people may have seen you as a threat - sort of like what happened to a certain player in the first season. I look forward to seeing your performance in further ORGs. I don't think you're done with them.

-Howkings
It's one thing to play The Genius, but it's another to want to do it in an authentic and honest way, relying on your self-awareness and strategical senses rather than deception or betrayal. Sure, the Jury Game put that ideal of yours to the test to some degree, but I was impressed with you.

Duck
You were a good player, and your criticisms of our inexperience and structure helped us to grow and advance as Genius hosts. From one PS old-timer to another - thanks for everything.

Yoshi
What a shame that life issues forced you to quit. When you applied, one of the NU room mods enthusiastically told me to cast you in this. "He'll be a chaos agent for sure," he told me - I only wish I remember who it was. Later on this year I'd love to host a Genius for the NU community after what you said - get in touch with me!

Faisal
For an emergency substitute player, you sure had a profound and dramatic impact on the game! All that Rick and Morty watching you mentioned on your Definitely Real and Serious Application, That Was Very Serious must have done you some good. And your quote about dancing with death twice and surviving? Pretty badass.

Ivy
I feel like your strength in this game consisted of primarily alliance maintenance. It's one thing to make and create and build an alliance, but you were quite good at keeping them alive and formed. You should look into playing more Survivors or Geniuses.

Ransei
I'm amazed that your long-term strategies flew under the radar as long as they did. It was said of you that you "mastered the tactical lurk." Never winning too many games, never having too many garnets, never attracting too much attention to yourself - allowing the other players to almost forget you're there. It's hard to pull the Tactical Lurk off in The Genius, but you did it brilliantly - you were the breakout character of the SGI, in my opinion.

Dot Agumon
At times you seemed really unconfident in your gameplay - if this impression I gathered is true, you should in fact be quite confident in your abilities. Making the top 5 is impressive enough, but you navigated webs of alliances and relationships with grace and skill. You earned the spot here - a job well done.

Clefable
Falling just before the final lap is a tough, tough thing. You played an amazing game - social and people skills through the roof, game skills one of the finest I've seen (fitting for a Board Games RO, right?). You have no reason not to be immensely proud of yourself for how you played this game.

The next post will have the format of the finals.

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
Before we discuss the final format, I'm tagging all players whose accounts are currently active.

How the Finals Work
  • The finals will consist of three Death Matches, and the first finalist to win two of the three Death Matches wins the SGI. Two of these death matchets you already have seen: Apocalypse and Don't Get Greedy. The new game will remain a mystery until the finals take place (but the finalists will have some limited time to strategize).
  • The new mystery game will be played second.
  • The last eight players to be eliminated (everyone from -Howkings to Clefable) will be given a randomly drawn item to provide a small but noticeable advantage to either of the finalists. One of the items will decide whether Apocalypse or Don't Get Greedy is played first; the other seven items provide small advantages for one of the three games. The players given items (and the ones who aren't as well - Plas, fart, and SPACE FORCE meeps - will also be surveyed on who they support) will also be allowed to give a small encouraging message up to one paragraph or so to the finalist in question they support.
  • We are aiming to have the three games played all at once (one after the other), but given the reality of life issues and timezones, if this proves impossible for one or both finalists, we will endeavor to work with you.
  • In twenty or thirty minutes, the eight players being given items will be forum PMed their item. Once the hosting team is aware of all item giveaways, the scheduling for the finals begin.
Thank you all for joining me on this journey. <3

Last edited:

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
Final garnet count (and yes, someone will be coming in to re-check the math)

11oyd - 43
MrJelli - 4

A final total of 47 garnets for the winner for a total cash prize of USD $23.50 (and a custom avatar).

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
Select First Game to be Played (from @Duck)
given to MrJelli

With this item, the finalist you select decides whether Apocalypse or Don't Play Greedy is played first. The game not chosen to be played first will be played third as a tiebreaker, if applicable.

Extra Coin (Don't Get Greedy) (from @Ivy)
given to MrJelli

With this item, the finalist you select will start the game of Don't Get Greedy with 1 coin instead of 0.

Penalty Avoidance (Don't Get Greedy) (from @Ransei)
given to MrJelli

With this item, the finalist you select will be allowed to ignore the penalty of discarding and giving a coin to the opponent one time.

Undo Last Turn (Apocalypse) (from @Clefable)
given to MrJelli

With this item, the finalist you select will be allowed to undo the last turn played.

Teleport Pawn (Apocalypse) (from @-Howkings)
given to MrJelli

With this item, the finalist you select may move one pawn freely to an unoccupied space on the board one time - however, it may not move to a space that would promote it to a knight. The teleportation must also not be used to directly capture a piece.

Decide Starting Player (???) (from Faisal)
given to MrJelli

With this item, the finalist you select will decide the starting player and turn order for ???.

??? (???) (from Dot Agumon)
given to MrJelli

You'll see...

??? (???) (from Yoshi)
given to MrJelli

You'll see...

Runner up speech incoming!

I would just like to say that this Invitational has been a fantastic experience. Thanks to all of the hosts for the amazing work that you have put in.
Thanks to all the contestants for the challenges you have provided. Special shout out to Ivy and Faisal for working with me, it was a lot of fun. Particularly the jury game, I think that was the most fun part of this whole series... even though Ivy was crim leader.
To Dot Agumon and Clefable, those DMs were a roller coaster and you really made me sweat.
To my closest ally and greatest foe, MrJelli, I feel like I have learned so much from playing this game with you... I also feel like the relationship that we have formed is unlike any other I have ever known and unlike any other that most individuals get the opportunity to experience and I think it has been the most valuable thing that I have gained from this invitational. I dare wager that you have put in twice as much effort into this series as the next person and for that you deserve this win, congratulations!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)