BW OU Wobbuffet is Broken

So yeah, Wobb's broken. I'm not going to bother with a lengthy explanation beforehand, other than that I wanted to build a team that abused him at least a little bit. It turned out great, and served me very well on the latter and steamrolled it's way through several PO tournaments (But then again, that's the same server where I saw Ice Gem HP Ice Terakion, so...). It really suits my offensive playstyle, and I've spent a lot of time working on it. So let's get this started!

Team Building Process:

The first iteration of this team was built around using Wobbuffet to set up Latios with Encore. I believed Latios to be the most broken sweeper at the time, and I built the team to abuse it. Magnezone was used to trap Steels that gave Latios trouble, while Blissey helped take Special attacks and pass HUGE Wishes to the rest of my team. I ended up being VERY Rain-weak, and Blissey gave too many things free switch-ins.

I replaced Blissey with FlinchHax Specially Defensive Jirachi to try to counter some rain threats and generally spread status while passing Wishes and still trying to provide some offensive momentum. However, I noticed Ferrothorn and entry hazards in general kept bothering me, since I didn’t have an excellent way to beat it with Magnezone carrying HP Ice. Latios also was NOT a team player, since even with a Recover-CM set I couldn’t use him as any part of my team other than going for an all-or-nothing sweep. He really wasn’t reliable, and my Rain-weakness was still huge. And on top of all of this, my team was not packing the offensive power I wanted. So I set about fixing this as best I could.

This was the final lineup. I’ve made some tweaks to the sets since then, but nothing too substantial. Excadrill provides Rapid Spin so Ferrothorn isn’t such a hazard (Haha… ha…) and provides another MASSIVE offensive presence. Latias took Latios’ place, since she can act as a second special pivot as well as support the team with Wish and sweep herself once her counters are gone. The team really flows around the opponent, and has won FAR more matches that it’s lost. It has a lot of back-up plans as well, letting me win even when key Pokémon are lost. Excadrill was banned though, so I had to edit the team to the version below.

Team At a Glance"

As I said before, the original team was built around using Wobbuffet to set up Latios for a sweep. The concept has changed to using Wobbuffet to set up ANYTHING as opposed to just Latios. Encorcing an EQ aimed at Tyranitar or Magnzone can easily give Terrakion, Gliscor or Latias an opportunity to set-up and sweep. The combination of Wobbuffet, Magnezone and Tyranitar also gives me a trapping-core of mighty proportions. Part of the reason why the team’s so effective and so cheap is that half of my KOs couldn’t have been avoided since my opponent could literally do nothing to avoid them once my Pokémon was in. That’s one of my favorite parts about the team. When played right, it can grind forward pretty mercilessly.

“Some say he crawled out of the darkest depths of Hell. He feasts on the spirits of the condemned.”
Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar has been one of my favorite Pokémon ever since it was released back in GSC. It remained so when I got into competitive battling back in DP, amazing me with its ability to be customized to fit on any team. On this team, it’s no different. I run enough Special Bulk to never be OHKOd by anything Reinuclus does, allowing me to kill it with Crunch or Pursuit after Tickling it with Wobbufett (I have enough attack to 2HKO all sets with Crunch with no Tickling required). It also sets up Stealth Rock very easily, and provides Sandstorm to cover Rain and Sun teams and wear down foes for the rest of my team. Its special bulk is truly phenomenal, working well with Gliscor to help me pivot around my team and bring out who I need to bring out.

The moveset is fairly simple. Stealth Rock needs no explaining, while Crunch and Pursuit work great with Wobbufett to kill almost any Ghost/Psychic type I need. Stone Edge lets me hit Ninetails far harder than most people expect, since most Tyranitar run special sets these days. I really just think it’s a shame that Ninetails can beat most Tyranitar. I also have little use for Ice Beam or Flamethrower/Fire Blast, since Gliscor and Ferrothorn aren’t much of a threat. I have been considering Choice Band lately for extra "oomph", but I don't like the idea of being locked onto SR or Pursuit. I've also pondered replacing Crunch with Superpower, which becomes more appealing if I use CB. CB would also give me lease to run more special bulk. Thoughts?

“He leaves a trail of destruction in his wake. His foes scatter before him like leaves before a storm.”
Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Formerly Excadrill, Balloon Terrakion is a fearsome sweeper. I run Balloon for a few reasons, such as preventing Gliscor from countering me. But it's more important for getting me a free switch-in to Earthquake or Earth Power, which is incredibly useful. The new chance at set-up lets me pull off far more frequent sweeps than Life Orb, and Babiri is unnecessary with Magnezone ripping Scizor apart. It does leave me susceptible to Metagross, but that's what Gliscor's for. Although I've lost my Rapid Spinner (So Ferrothorn SUCKS), Terrakion is a much easier sweeper to use than Excadrill was, since everyone over-prepared for Excadrill. Terrakion also gets a 50% SpD boost from Sandstorm, letting him take special attacks with ease. His synergy with Tyranitar gets better, as Tyranitar can eliminate Slowbro, Reinuclus and other defensive Psychic-types, who give Terrakion some trouble. He's a great sweeper, ripping opposing teams apart for me to pick up the pieces.

The moveset is the basic Double Dance set, although Stone Miss is the second worst move in the game (The worst is Focus Blast, which I sometimes treat as if it always misses when my opponent uses it just for laughs). Balloon gives me great switch-ins on Choiced Ground attacks from the likes of Mamoswime and DJ Landlos. And since I'm not being worn down by LO, I can afford to utilize some of my bulk to get a sweep. I can also throw down attacks on the switch without fear of weakening myself later. Adamant is for maximum power, since after an RP I outspeed everything and when I SD I'm against a slow team anyway.

“He is the wall against which they break their blades. He will never abandon the line, regardless of circumstances.”
Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

I hated Gliscor in Gen IV, but then I ran Britscor on a DDtar team and completely forgot. Although I’ve hated running Poison Heal Gliscor on a few other teams, I simply needed to have a reliable physical wall that could also provide me with offensive presence. Thankfully, Gliscor actually thrives on this team. It deals with DJ Landlos and Terrakion fairly easily, and since Wobbufett can deal with Conkeldurr, Gliscor is free to deal with these threats uninterrupted. It has amazing synergy with Tyranitar, resisting all of its weaknesses and taking hits from the physical side while Tyranitar deals with the special hits. It can Taunt Ferrothorn for set-up bait and quickly boost to sweep. I used to be considering a more defensive spread, but then I decided I want to be able to press my offensive momentum every step of the way, and Gliscor does just that. Gliscor also handles that annoying Body Slam/Iron Head Specially Defensive Jirachi, since I don’t want to risk paralyzing Magnezone more often than not. It also absorbs other statuses, and does so many useful jobs for this team that I can’t replace it.

The moveset is ripped right from the analysis, with more Speed to ensure I beat other SD Gliscor. It’s really the only way I can run this set, since it does all the right things.

“She knows no fear. As appealing as she is strong, legends are sung of her beauty and power.”
Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Substitute

Latias is the combination of several Pokémon I tested on this team. It replaced (in a way) Blissey, Reuniclus, Jirachi and Latios. It acts as a secondary special sponge and provides an offensive presence, like Reuniclus but with far better synergy with Tyranitar and the team in general. It also passes Wishes to Wobbufett and the rest of the team like Blissey and Jirachi did, but again with better synergy. Its Wishes might not be as massive as Blissey or Jirachi’s could be, but it makes up for it with the ability to lure in better attacks for my other Pokémon to switch into. Wobbufett doesn’t even get 50%, but what it does get can mean a lot if it switches in on something like Starmie’s Ice Beam. Gliscor and Tyrannitar also love getting Wishes while taking Bug or Dark-type attacks, respectively. Magnezone can switch-in on Dragon-type attacks as well, so Latias really gives this team a lot of support. It has stupidly high uninvested Special Defense, so it doesn’t take many to make it unkillable from the special side. It outclasses Latios on this team for these very reasons, since Latios really did nothing for the team other than set itself up to sweep. Although I had built the entire team around Latios and Wobbufett, I’ve found Latias to work far better since it works with the team instead of having the team work for it like Latios did. It’s really changed the way I look at sweepers, although I still love late-game sweep strategies. I have to say that Latias is really the duct tape that holds this entire team together.

The set really works great with the team, passing Wishes and dishing out damage. Substitute is really the move that makes this set so amazing, since scouting a switch-in is always awesome and Latias’ high speed allows it to Sub before taking a hit as well as blocking statuses. And since most of Latias’ counters are faster Dragons, Dragon Pulse often takes them down without a fuss. Also worth noting is that Substitute ruins Scarf Dragons two-fold by forcing them to attack with their STAB or risk dying to Latias. Draco Meteors mean that Wobbufett can take the weakened attack and KO back, while Outrage locks them in for Magnezone to hit with HP Ice. The icing on the cake is that Wobbufett or Magnezone will be either switching into a Dragon that’s been weakened with Dragon Pulse or receiving a Wish, so Substitute eases switching immensely. I have thought about replacing Wish with Recover, but for now I love the ability to pass Wishes far too much to go for slightly more reliable recovery. Wish+Sub works well enough for me.

“It watches, cold and calculating. Before its victims know it, they’re trapped. It has no ears to hear their screams.”
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Magnezone is one of my favorite Pokemon. It hits incredibly hard with its 130 Special Attack and has enough Speed with a Choice Scarf to revenge threats like the Bro Trio, non-RP Terakion, Lucario, Gliscor and weakened Infernape. It also has the rather obvious ability to trap and almost always kill Steel-types trying to stop Latias or Terrakion. With Skarmory or Bronzong gone, Terrakion can run through almost every team. Considering his only other checks are defensive Psychic/Water types which die to Tyranitar or become set-up for Latias, it makes Terrakion a fearsome sweeper. The loss of Ferrothorn also cripples opposing teams immensely, since Ferrothorn is a Pokémon many players rely on for a lot of their switches. It also deals with Scizor very easily, preventing it from potentially crippling Tyranitar, Latias or Wobbufett. There’s really very little to be said about Magnezone, other than that it keeps a lot of things in check that would otherwise cause my team a lot of problems, as well as removing annoying Steels.

Thunderbolt is for STAB, and HP Ice rounds out the coverage as well as giving me a way to reliably kill Gliscor and DJ Landlos. Flash Cannon 2HKOs Scarf Tyranitar and does a number to the other sets, so it lets me slam opposing Tyranitar hoping to take a Thunderbolt. If I get them out of the way I don’t have to worry about Latias or Wobbufett being Pursuited, which is a load off of my back. Volt Switch is the final move, letting me keep ahead of my opponent. Volt Switching out of a Reuniclus into Tyranitar is great. I have considered running HP Fire to kill Ferrothorn easily, but HP Ice has saved me too often.

“Some speculate his own immense power has rendered him this way. Even in battle, he wears the same jovial expression.”
Wobbuffet (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 200 Def / 56 SpD / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Tickle

WOBBAWOBBAWOBBA. Wobbufett gets credit as being part of the original inspiration for this team. His bulk is insane, allowing him to take on a variety of attackers without difficulty. He’s easily one of the best counters to Conkeldurr and Reuniclus out there, since he can switch-in with little difficulty (Barring Reuniclus Shadow Ball, but they’re more likely to fire off a blind Focus Blast or set up) and proceed to Counter/Mirror Coat or Encore them on to a useless move. He works great with Tyranitar, switching into Fighting-type attacks and luring Ghost-type attacks. Encoring an Earthquake also lets Latias or Gliscor come in for free and start setting up.

Wobbufett literally has no other options for its movepool, so I’m not going to bother explaining why I chose what I did.

EDIT: I replaced Excadrill with Terrakion. It's kept the team solid, and does better in some regards. I do miss Rapid Spin, but Terrakion can OHKO standard Ferrothorn with Close Combat anyway.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, first of all, I disagree about Wobbufett being broken. Encore nerf has hurt it to the point where it is now OU. As for the team itself, it was solid before. However, Excadrill's banning is actually a blessing in disguise.

First of all. With Excadrill out of the way, there is no longer a need to run Ice Fang on every set. You also do not have to invest so much into defense. Instead you can now run a Subtect staller, which is perhaps the best staller in the game right now. With Poison Heal, the two turns Substitute and Protect kill off allow Gliscor to heal back the HP it sacced from using Substitute. Allowing to to create an infinite stall chain. The slot that was once obligatory for Ice Fang due to balloon Excadrill is now replaced by Toxic. Allowing it to "pull a Stallrein" in every weather except hail. The best part about this set is that Earthquake hits most things that are immune to Toxic hard. The main exceptions being Bronzong, Skarmory, Gengar, Breloom, and Balloontran. However, Gliscor would've lost to all these pokemon bar Breloom with the old SD set anyways and now has the benefit of being able to shit on like half of OU. EVs are to ensure Gliscor always outspeeds Lucario and Toxicroak, ending the SD Ice Punch Lucario and Mynism's Toxicroak fads once and for all.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Jolly
252 Hp/ 40 Def/ 216 Spe
Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Earthquake

Another change I'd suggest for this team is Rock Polish Landorus. With Maggie taking down Skarmory, Landorus can easily plow through everything. With Excadrill gone, you can be assured that everybody is going to start running scarfers everywhere. Rock Polish Landorus takes a shit on just about every one of them. Gliscor and Bronzong aren't getting off easy either. As both can be played around by Hidden Power Ice and Smack Down respectively. The best part is that Rock Polish Landorus is actually faster and bulkier than Excadrill. Even though it won't be able to hit with as much power, Sand Force and Life Orb ensure Lando's offenses are no laughing matter. Plus with a high rise of hyper and heavy offense to be anticipated in the coming weeks, Landorus should have no problems plowing through those frail sweepers that can't do anything besides hide behind screens.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Sand Force
Naive/ Jolly
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 (SpA or Hp)
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Hidden Power Ice/ Smack Down

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, NeoSeth. I personally feel that Swords Dance + Rock Polish Terrakion would be a more fearsome replacement than Landorus, because Dual STAB Rock + Fighting > STAB Ground + Rock.

It pairs up nicely with Magnezone, who can roast Scizor locked into Bullet Punch.

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ Swords Dance
~ Rock Polish

The double-dancing Terakion set is a great idea. So is Rock Polish DJ Landlos, but I've used Double-Dancing Terakion in the past with great results. I'll test both of them out when I get the time, and update the thread with my results.

Alright, I've replaced Excadrill with Double-Dance Terrakion. It's awesome. It works better than Excadrill in some respects, since everyone was so overprepared for Excadrill. I'm now focusing more on possible changes with Tyranitar's set that I mentoned in the RMT. I'm also not changing Gliscor, since there are some things other than Excadrill that use Balloon that I would like to be able to hit, such as Terrakion. Ice Fang also good for hitting the common Dragon/Flying-type switch-ins for good damage. I have debated using Stone Edge, but I want to be able to hit things with my coverage move. Still, if anyone has any other attacks for that last slot (Other than Fling), I'm open to suggestions. And Wobbuffet's set-up ability is still too good.

Can you actually KO Ferrothorn with your Magnezone? I think leech seed + power whip every turn might actually get you.

It does, which sucks. Usually I like to use Gliscor or Wobb, but Leech Seed is a pain. That's where Terakion comes in and uses CC. It's about prediction, mostly. I have considered HP Fire, but HP Ice has saved my life too many times.

Try running Magneton over Magnezone - you lose 10 SpAtk but you gain the ability to outspeed Starmie, which 2HKOes your team atm.

Try running Magneton over Magnezone - you lose 10 SpAtk but you gain the ability to outspeed Starmie, which 2HKOes your team atm.
That's actually a great idea. It also outspeeds ScarfTar, which gets Flash Cannoned still. I'll give it a run and see if the speed outweighs the power loss. And now that you mention it, I don't know why I don't have a problem with Starmie in battle. Maybe I've just never faced a good player using it.

I was looking through RMT's to use for an old gens tournament, and stumbled across this one, and I was wondering why NeoSeth decided to use a Simisear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)