Wobbufet Counter Discussion Thread

countering wobby is just luck, if you have pokes with moves (taunt, batton pass) abilities (gastro acid) or typing (spiritomb), all of these can potentially "counter" wobby, but it can run at any moment a threat shows up, while you cant switch. So even with the above mentioned "counters" in your team, youre gonna lose at least one poke in the hands of wobby, so the only real counters i can see are teams full of baton pasers or full with u-turners.

The whole "counter" thing Wobbuffet has been gone over time and time again, but even ignoring that:

Pokemons that can learn the move: Arbok, Victreebel, Shuckle, Swalot, and Cradily.
There's the problem. All of those Pokemon suck. Shuckle is arguably the best of them, having immense offense and his own ways to stop others from setting up (Encore)...however, he is also slower than Wobbuffet, which puts him in danger of Encore either way. And he wasn't that great to begin with.

Cradily is a little better, but he is also complete set-up fodder for Substitute Garchomp, especially with the even more inaccurate Rock Tomb (over a move like Rock Slide, and that was already terrible).

doesn't this go to all trappers? to counter it, you must sacrifice something

@mekkah: unless Garchomp runs in to toxic, but still, I can't disagree w/ you

It's been said a hundred times before, but a counter isn't just something that can damage a Pokémon, it's something you can switch into any move of a Pokémon with impunity. You can't switch anything into Wobbuffet because of Shadow Tag. Putting U-Turn or Baton Pass on everything is overcentralising. Really, I don't mind Deoxys-S, but Wobb has to stay Uber.

And yea, Dugtrio and Magnet Pull Pokémon can trap stuff as well. But Dugtrio can't trap levitaters/flying types (and also, can't take a hit), and Magnet Pull can only be used to trap steel types. Wobbuffet, on the other hand, traps everything, and can very effectively be used to suck the fun out of every match he appears in. I say ban him.

There really is no way to counter Wobb since you cant switch in on him. The only 100% way to counter him is if each of your pokemon knows BatonPass, U-turn. or Taunt.

U-Turn is not a good "counter" to Wobbuffet for the reason that it is SE on wob and so the pokemon switched in will take a sizeable dent, maybe around 200HP depending on the pokemon doing the U-turn.

It's been said a hundred times before, but a counter isn't just something that can damage a Pokémon, it's something you can switch into any move of a Pokémon with impunity. You can't switch anything into Wobbuffet because of Shadow Tag. Putting U-Turn or Baton Pass on everything is overcentralising. Really, I don't mind Deoxys-S, but Wobb has to stay Uber.

And yea, Dugtrio and Magnet Pull Pokémon can trap stuff as well. But Dugtrio can't trap levitaters/flying types (and also, can't take a hit), and Magnet Pull can only be used to trap steel types. Wobbuffet, on the other hand, traps everything, and can very effectively be used to suck the fun out of every match he appears in. I say ban him.
But then you have to have an entire team of flyers/levitaters and that's overcentralizing. (yes I know there's a huge difference between wobba and dugtrio, I'm just saying that the logic is bad)

But then you have to have an entire team of flyers/levitaters and that's overcentralizing. (yes I know there's a huge difference between wobba and dugtrio, I'm just saying that the logic is bad)
Not at all. Strong priority moves like Lucario's Extremespeed take care of Duggy just fine. There's also faster Pokemon like Weavile and just generally very bulky Pokemon like Celebi, Suicune, Swampert etc who don't take enough damage from it to care about being trapped.

It is perfectly plausible to create a team that isn't at all susceptible to Dugtrio without leaving gaping weaknesses to certain other metagame threats. I have yet to see a team that does the same thing for Wobbuffet, although I'd love to see one if possible.

If you are going to use a sacrifice, why not just weaken it with the pokemon that you are sacrificing and then send in a hard hitter/pursuiter to finish it off.
There are many other ways to deal with Wobbuffet as well.

Boingo pointed out my argument, if you have to rely in a team full with baton passers and u-turners to really counter wobby , its overcentralising the game, you are gonna have to choose: not lose to wobby or be stuck in a team that maybe you dont like and offers less versatility.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just pointing out the fact that Toxic Dugtrio beats Wobbufett 100% of the time, and doesn't really miss Stone Edge all that much..

I really good counter for wobbeffet would be gardevior. trace shadow tag set up 6 calm minds and sweep.

sure it can encore your calminds but its trapped there with you so that wouldnt be effective then to really sweep the team you can back it up with a substitute as well.

EDIT: this wouldnt work because two pokemon with shadow tag can switch out on each other. or is it just wobby?

I really good counter for wobbeffet would be gardevior. trace shadow tag set up 6 calm minds and sweep.

sure it can encore your calminds but its trapped there with you so that wouldnt be effective then to really sweep the team you can back it up with a substitute as well.

EDIT: this wouldnt work because two pokemon with shadow tag can switch out on each other. or is it just wobby?
When two shadow tag users meet they both can switch out. Otherwise there would be so many stall matches on shoddy thanks to wobb vs. wobb fights.

So no, Gardevior wont work.

Also you still would have to sacrifice a pokemon to even get Gardevior in and that is not a counter

When two shadow tag users meet they both can switch out. Otherwise there would be so many stall matches on shoddy thanks to wobb vs. wobb fights.
youre absolutely right, this way wobby can switch out, the only way you can trap it is with dugtrio and again you pointed out that you must sacrifice at least one poke for switch out dugtrio, so just shed shell users, batton pasers and u-turners (be sure you are not predicted and countered) can hide from wobbys fury.

yes, wobbuffet is definately the tacticians pokemon.

Or, it can run Alice's tickle set and destroy you with TTar.

Wobbuffet is just way too good... end of discussion, and it can't be countered because you can't choose what you send into it.[/QUOTE]

how can wobbufet learn tickle? i cant find a way!!
for that matter, why? aren't counter and mirror coat set damage (2 times damage taken) anyway?

Why the fuck is thread being bumped? Why the fuck am I posting? Where are the mods? YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE MODS FOR THIS KIND OF SHIT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)