Wide Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this only protect the teammates, then follow me>wide guard will be interesting for setup other things in 3vs3...

My only concern is if something along these lines happens:
3v3
You have a Machamp with Wide Guard, A Swampert with Wide Guard and a Clefable with Follow Me. You have Swampert use Wide Guard, and Clefable using follow me, directing your opponents attacks at a protected unit. Then you use the machamp to attack and use this strategy until you won. Has anyone else pondered this possibility?

3v3
You have a Machamp with Wide Guard, A Swampert with Wide Guard and a Clefable with Follow Me. You have Swampert use Wide Guard, and Clefable using follow me, directing your opponents attacks at a protected unit. Then you use the machamp to attack and use this strategy until you won. Has anyone else pondered this possibility?
My oh my,
Well I'm sure there's an Achilles' heal SOMEWHERE to this strategy...
[editing later]

3v3
Wide Guard don't work like that.

Wide Guard protects all Pokémon on the user's side of the field from enemy attacks that can target multiple Pokémon (Rock Slide, Earthquake, Explosion, Lava Plume, Surf, Discharge, Blizzard, etc) during the turn it is used. Consecutive uses decrease the chance of success. This is an increased priority move, and therefore will always go before attacks during the turn. It does not protect against attacks that target only a single Pokémon.

Near all the poke's that get this get protect as well (Bar Regigigas, does he really get wide guard? Poor fella. He's used less than Beedrill.), so I don't really see why you wouldn't just use protect instead. It would've been better I it was protect for your partner so they could then attack.

EDIT:Sorry double post

Wide guard only protects you and your teammates from attacks that hit multiple targets.
For example, it protects from rock slide, but not from stone edge.

Wide Guard don't work like that.

Wide Guard protects all Pokémon on the user's side of the field from enemy attacks that can target multiple Pokémon (Rock Slide, Earthquake, Explosion, Lava Plume, Surf, Discharge, Blizzard, etc) during the turn it is used. Consecutive uses decrease the chance of success. This is an increased priority move, and therefore will always go before attacks during the turn. It does not protect against attacks that target only a single Pokémon.
THIS IS TRUE!
seriously, this was posted somewhere on the first page already, but you guys just ignored it

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I understand that it only stops those moves from hitting both/all three of your Pokemon in multi-battles, but how does it behave when you're in a singles battle and the opponent uses Rock Slide? I realize in situations such as this it's just a nerfed Protect, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Has anyone done research on this yet?

Confirmed Wide Guard protects all of your Pokemon (including the user) from attacks that can target multiple Pokemon. It does not protect against single-target attacks. This works in single battles as well as double and triple battles.

(from research thread)

Sounds like it's basically just Protect for Doubles/Triples. :0 Sounds pretty good, but I dunno, there's probably some sort of drawback to it... does it have lower PP or something?

breh

強いだね
OP, please list all users. If you list four that's not too helpful.

Anyway Mamanbou (heartfish) is a really cool user of this in VGC 11... it's a bulky bastard and it has a variety of other support moves (healing wave, helping hand); 75 attack waterfall may seem underwhelming in doubles, it's actually more powerful than a surf hitting two opponents

TL;DR Wide Guard mamanbou is good in VGC and probably doubles.

Hey guys, i just got a (hopefully) great idea for triples with this!

could you have:
swampert with wide guard
nageki with wide guard and mountain storm
*other wide guard users*
and tauros and primeape anger point sweepers?

You send out nageki, tarous/primeape, and another wide guard user
first turn you mountian storm on your sweeper to get auto +6 attack, the other person wide guards so you do not take any damage from attacks, then your sweeper sweeps while it cannot be hurt by your other pokes alternating wide guards each turn

this is all theory right now, since I have not tested this and I do not completely know the mechanics of wide guard, but this does sound very cool, doesnt it?

EDIT: just read the rest fot he thread and noticed this only protects from multi-target users, so is there any way this theory could work? if so, please tell me!

Even if Wide Guard is only a mult-hit protect, many of the strategies here still show some use.
In Triples, If you have one pokemon use Follow Me and another use Wide Guard, then the remaining pokemon presumably avoids any damage that round. If that pokemon is something that can heal its allies, provide support or is just useful to keep alive, then its got some chance of staying alive longer - especially with Protect. An Evo Stone Clefairy with Friend Guard and Protect could be useful to keep alive, for example.

You send out nageki, tarous/primeape, and another wide guard user
first turn you mountian storm on your sweeper to get auto +6 attack, the other person wide guards so you do not take any damage from attacks, then your sweeper sweeps while it cannot be hurt by your other pokes alternating wide guards each turn
Use Follow Me instead of Wide Guard. The fact that multi-hit moves have reduced power in doubles/triples means that single-target moves like Flamethrower are better, hence you are better off with Follow Me.

Anger Powder/Follow Me and Wide Guard is still viable in triples. If you have something bulky on your side to take on hits, the third Pokemon can set itself up to it's heart's content. Shell Break Cloyster, anyone?

Two questions- Does Wide Guard protect against non-damaging attacks aimed at the entire party? EX: Dark Void

Is Wide Guard's usage system (the one protect uses) function for all Pokemon on the field at once? For example, if I have a Swampert use Wide Guard turn one, will my Alomomola (heartfish) be able to use Wide Guard at 100% efficiency turn two?

In a triple battle you could protect one pokemon like a exadrill so he can sweep and max his attack with sword dance or scrafty and dragon dance.

I love this move, as I participate in triple battles alot and it allows me to use surf without hurting my own team. The one thing I was raging over was that it WILL NOT BLOCK DARK VOID!!! I fought my friend and he runs a dark void Smeargle.
Turn one: Mienshao used Wide Guard
Foes Smeargle used Dark Void
Your entire team was put to sleep
RAGE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)