ORAS Ubers Why isn't this a thing?

Which Mega Evolution in Ubers is your favorite?

• Total voters
Hey everyone, how's it going? My name is mrseacoore and today I'm putting out an RMT for an Ubers team that I've been using for a little while. I'm ranked 1491 in Ubers under the account: Complicating.
I have several variations of this team, but I appreciate this version the most because everything on the team is a threat and this is probably the most viable version of the team. The whole idea of the team is to force pressure on the opponent with everything. One thing that I have yet to understand though, is Kyurem-W. It isn't a thing we use anymore, but it still racks up kills without a problem. It's also incredibly bulky despite having 0 investment. The older spread for Deoxys-A which we stopped using to ensure Psycho Boost would nearly always kill anything that didn't resist. Arceus and Xerneas are such a diabolical combo on a team as well. Then there's the Primal Ogre which has been displaced in the tier if you ask me. After Primal-Don goes, there's absolutely nothing in the tier that can handle a rain boosted Origin pulse from Primal Ogre. Maybe things that resist, but that's why Thunder and Ice Beam are coverage moves. So, let's just go over the team briefly.

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

Deoxys is a scary alien that just eats things alive. All hits kill it, but there are select few things that can take its raw powered attacks. It outspeeds a huge majority of the metagame and has priority in E-speed. 88 Atk EVs are from the older spread for Deoxys-A if I'm not mistaken. This makes its physical moves more prevalent and outright destructive with the life orb boost. Though this may take away from the special attack, it does quite a bit of good because it helps against Xerneas with its boost, as this team's most practical way of dealing with Geomancy Xerneas is through priority and raw strength before its boost. Otherwise, Primal-Don better be healthy and better land precipice blades. This thing has such a fearsome special attack called "Let's-Just-Drop-A-Nuclear-Bomb-On-Something-Psycho Boost" that everything runs away. Ice Beam rounds out the fearsome special attack nicely with cool ice type coverage. Low Kick is primarily for Darkrai and Primal-Don. It can also smash through Arceus-Rock and Steel that aren't running E-speed. Deoxys-A is the pure definition of glass cannon. Take it or leave it. Regardless, it is a threat.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail

This is arguably the best pokemon in the tier with an undeniably effective support set. Primal Groudon is just a monster. Even without any attack investment, it breaks things. It checks a majority of the tier and counters a decent portion of it as well. I opted to run 248 HP over max just to hit an odd HP number to lessen hazard damage after primal reversion (which is one of the first things it will do in the game anyway). I placed that 4 from HP into speed because there wasn't really another place to put the EVs that made any difference. Impish over Relaxed because I'm using Fire Punch over special fire type moves (namely Lava Plume). Fire Punch typically does more damage than the special fire moves solely due to the staggering difference between Primal-Don's Attack and Special Attack. This also means that Primal-Don has a slight jump over other support variants by possibly running more speed in the grand scheme of things. Precipice Blades may have 85% accuracy, but compared to the damage that Earthquake puts out, the 15% miss rate is worth it more often than not. Dragon Tail is fairly standard for P-Don from what I know. I believe that T-wave, Roar, Toxic, and Stone Edge/Rock Slide are the other moves for the 4th moveslot on the support set for P-Don. (correct me if I'm wrong). Dragon Tail is just a way of shuffling pokemon around while also earning chip damage apart from hazard damage. It has its pros and cons just like all the other moves available to use in the 4th moveslot. I really don't think I have to explain what the support variant of Primal Groudon does, because it's a staple of the entire Uber metagame right now and does essentially the same thing for every team running the set.

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Force
- Refresh

Now, this is the "How Refreshing" variant of Arceus. This is just my preferred way of running it. With the 200 HP EVs, Arceus finds itself setting up a bit more easily than before. The Adamant Nature is used to bring out more power, as Jolly Nature doesn't do it any favors without maxed out speed. This outspeeds Neutral max speed Rayquaza along with other base 95 speed mons. Shadow Force is run over Shadow Claw despite being a 2 turn move because the damage output is not only that much higher, but it busts through protection, such as King's Shield and Substitute. There is a weakness in this, but the same argument can be made for any Refresh E-Killer. Whatever your coverage can't do can be taken advantage of.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 56 HP / 156 Def / 248 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Psyshock

The scary deer thing, also known as Xerneas, ruins teams if it gets the chance. This spread is an alternative spread for the standard Geomancy set with a minor change of my own doing (trading 4 EVs from SpA to Spe). The 4 EVs taken out of SpA doesn't actually make any practical difference in how much chaos Xerneas dishes out. The rolls don't change and the true damage difference is less than half a percent, which is nothing in Ubers. That statement is consistent with a Geomancy boost as well. The extra point in speed just allows me to outpace other standard Geomancy Xerneas' and speed tie with anyone with a mon running just enough speed to outdo standard Geo Xerneas by 1 point. Power Herb+Geomancy is the only reason this set exists. Moonblast is mandatory STAB that gets bolstered by Fairy Aura. Grass Knot is a move that gets 100% accuracy and does the same damage to P-Don that Focus Blast or HP Ground would do. It also OHKOs P-Ogre. It doesn't hit anything else and doesn't really need to because Moonblast is going to be the only move you need to use to hit all else that doesn't resist Fairy type moves and isn't Blissey. Psyshock looks a bit weird because it doesn't really have too much purpose other than hitting physical defense. This is a good thing though because it beats Blissey, Mega-Gengar, and the rare Arceus-Poison. I have also ran HP Ground to hit Poison and Steel types at the loss of being able to bust through Blissey. With HP Ground, you need max SpA and 44 Spe to make up for the IV loss in SpA. Both moves have their ups and downs. Thunder is at least as viable as well. Honestly, it all comes down to preference. The reason for running this spread is simply to allow Xerneas to tank physical hits a bit better at the expense of losing some special bulk. This means that it can take priority E-speeds a bit easier, making it more challenging to deal with through priority moves. This pokemon is one of the most feared threats in the Ubers metagame, and for a good reason.

Kyurem-White @ Choice Specs
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Flare

Kyurem-W: "I have a question for you though."
Opponent: "What's that?"
Kyurem-W: "Die."
Opponent: "... That's... not... a... question."
Kyurem-W: "That's because I don't do requests." (Thank you TeamFourStar)

Why isn't this a thing? I remember one point in time where Kyurem-White was considered such a huge threat that any team without a proper check for it risked being devoured by its incredible strength; however, now it's somewhat forgotten to the metagame. Maybe Draco Meteor is something you can't use as freely as in the past. I honestly don't see how Draco Meteor is any different now than before the introduction of Fairy types. You nuke something and half your special attack and leave yourself vulnerable as setup fodder. The only difference is a new immunity to dragon. Honestly, Kyurem doesn't even need to drop a planet on your head to score KOs.
Kyurem breaks things. During the mid-game, Kyurem is a beast that truly pressures players to find counters. I only Drop a Draco when nothing else can treat Kyurem as fodder and Xerneas is not present. Ice Beam breaks everything else down for Xerneas and Arceus to sweep without any trouble generally speaking. I've had a number of opponents check Kyurem with Xerneas only to find out Xerneas just lost over 2/3 of its HP and is now revenge killed by Arceus or Deoxys. Draco and Ice Beam are mandatory STAB. Earth Power is my favorite coverage move thanks to Turboblaze as an ability. Focus Blast is equally usable. Sleep talk and Fusion Flare and Focus Blast are all usable moves in the 4th moveslot depending on team needs. No matter how you see it, Kyurem-W is a strong threat despite its faults.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 160 HP / 220 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Sleep Talk

This is a giant blue dolphin-based pokemon with the power to flood the whole Earth. Have fun. Though the introduction of ORAS has dropped the hammer on the once most dominating force in Ubers, Kyogre is just as useful as it once was. Apart from its Primal sibling, there isn't really anything that can stomach its rain boosted Origin Pulse. And whatever there is that can take its STAB, Kyogre's coverage takes care of it. 128 Spe EVs allow P-Ogre to outpace Geomancy Xerneas and anyone running mons for the same purpose given that said mons outpace Geomancy Xerneas by 1 or 2 points. Modest 220 SpA hits a staggering 496, which is more than enough to break walls in its own right. The remaining EVs get dumped into HP to improve overall bulk. Sleep Talk looks out of place, but is a useful move to cover Darkrai once Deoxys-A is out of commission. This set is also based on the standard CM set for Primal-Ogre. I just used it to fit the team. This is a big, and may I say, overlooked pokemon in Ubers that is incredibly powerful. Don't underestimate this legendary dolphin.

As stated above, this is my most viable version of this team that I've been using. My favorite version of this team replaces Deoxys-A with Mega-Glalie, whose job is to either set up spikes, break a sash, and or get a 1 for 1 trade through explosion.
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 319-376 (78.9 - 93%)
It pretty much destroys whatever it hits with explosion. And if it sees P-Don turn 1, it blows up and makes P-Don regret its life choices or P-Don runs away and something else gets to regret life. No matter what, it annihilates something for my team.

Anyway, that's all for the team guys. If you want to, you can come and support my channel on youtube by clicking the link below and watching some videos. The channel is all just for fun.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcynWwQc_ksCCSMkp2bOrjQ
Thank you for any interest in the channel. All feedback is appreciated.

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Force
- Refresh

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 56 HP / 156 Def / 248 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Psyshock

EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Flare

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 160 HP / 220 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Sleep Talk

The Mega Glalie set is just max speed, max attack, Adamant Nature with Spikes, Explosion, Double Edge, and Ice Shard.

Last edited:
Remember not to put -primal after groudon's and kyogre's name for it will then start in primal just a small not really mistake.
Also your arceus only knows one normal type move making silk scarf not very useful would be better to make it ghost type to add some type coverage and to help against fighting types also I wouldn't spread your Xerneas' Evs so much you really just need speed and spatk

You are in desperate need of a mega-pokémon.

Bronzong walls every single pokémon you have except Groudon-Primal;
Arceus can't touch Bronzong if the opponent has a normal type to absorb the Shadow Force, the only move to hit Bronzong super-effectively is stomached by a groundceus; or something similar.
You also lose to Rock-Polish Groudon, since you have nothing to take on its pure power; sure you have an Arceus, but you have nothing to hit it super-effectively and extreme speed does literally zero in terms of stopping the pain-train.
Furthermore dragon-tail does little in the way of stopping some sort of bulky geomancy Xerneas with reflect up; roar always does the job better, although the Xerneas set seems obscure it does exist.
Kyogre-Primal just doesn't have any synergy here; as it fits on more balanced or defensive teams.
You also don't have a ground resist; and the most common pokémon in the ORAS metagame is Primal-Groudon.

Since Kyurem-White has Choice Specs sometimes it can't kill something that it would usually have an easy time with; for example your opponent has Bronzong, you press Fusion Flare but they switch into groundceus, which does zero since it can just recover off the damage. Basically free momentum.

You really don't have a set winning strategy. Set up with two pokémon and sweep? or chip your opponents down with four pokémon? Your team looks like a balance gone bad.

I've created a version of your team that should work. I had to remove Kyurem-White; it was doing absolutely nothing. I changed some sets around and also removed Kyogre-Primal as it had no place on your team whatsoever. Finally I had added Giratina-Orgin and Landorus-Therian for a more balanced playstyle.

Shoutouts to ADORABLE user: LucosDICampos. for the team.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello, your team has some big holes:
  • Ground-types. You have no Ground resist on your team, and Pokemon such as RP Groudon and SD Ground Arceus have some setup targets which they can capitalize on to sweep your team with ease. Pokemon such as Scarf Landorus-T and Excadrill in Sand are also huge threats since you have absolutely no switch-in for them.
  • SD Arceus formes in general are quite threatening, with both SD Ghost and standard EKiller posing huge threats to you.
  • You can't switch into offensive Psychic-types like Deoxys-A, Mewtwo, or Latios at all. This isn't always necessary, but Latios gets switch-in opportunities against the Primals and will probably kill anything you send out in response.
I'm going to rate this team under the assumption that you want to keep Kyurem-W. Kyurem-W makes a fine wallbreaking partner for Xerneas on paper, but its horrid defensive synergy can make it tough to use in practice. I think it would work better on a bulky offense build where you can compensate somewhat for its defensive shortcomings. We'll start by keeping Kyurem-W, Xerneas, and Groudon, and I'm going to suggest the following other changes:
  • Replace Deoxys-A with Mega Gengar. Mega Gengar provides Speed and stallbreaking ability similar to Deoxys-A, but gives you a check to Extremekiller and can RK slower Psychics like Latios. There are a variety of sets you can use here, but Hex/Focus Blast/Will-O-Wisp/Protect is generally considered best. Any set with Protect and Focus Blast will do.
  • Replace EKiller with Arceus-Water. Arceus-Water gives you a sturdy check to Ground-types and provides a tertiary Water resist for Groudon so you don't have to waste Kyurem's health unnecessarily. it also helps against things like Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence that could otherwise punch holes in your team.
  • Replace Kyogre with Bronzong. Bronzong gives you a strong check to all the Ground-types barring Fire move Primal Groudon, and gives you something that can switch into offensive Psychics. It covers all of Kyurem-W's type weaknesses barring Fighting and plugs a lot of the defensive holes your team had.
Your Xerneas set can also be optimized. I would recommend using Aromatherapy on it to make up for the (now) lack of sleep absorber. This only gives you room for one coverage move, which I would use on Hidden Power Rock so you can punch through Ho-Oh more easily. I would also suggest using a Rock-type move on Groudon to help handle Ho-Oh, as well as Roar to phase Geomancy Xerneas to help make up for the reduced amount of priority.

Your team will look like this after all the changes are completed:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Roar

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Toxic
- Recover

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic
- Protect

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Flare

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Aromatherapy

Hope this helped, good luck with the team!

Thanks Fireburn. I'm gonna try that out. I realize my team has relatively few switch ins to ground types and loses to sand Exca, but in Ubers where there are 2 primals and very low usages of T-tar and Exca, I'm not too worried. RP P-Don is tough for literally any team to handle if we're being honest. I'm not trying to deal with it after it gets set up. I'm trying to make sure it just can't set up to start with. Not without losing over half its health. And yeah, the reason I made the team was to center it around Kyurem-White. And like I said, I have several variations of this team. One of those actually does use Mega-Gengar over Deoxys and another uses LO Yveltal with U-turn. I haven't stopped laddering either. I'll see what I can do with the extra bulk on the team from your suggestions. Thanks man.

For my taste, I personally prefer Kyurem-W Modest. I am aware that it may be important to be faster than your opponent, but this way will do more harm and good defenses and squatter to hold and decent speed. Earth Power option is great, but is only useful with PDon For Steels is already Fusion Flare. With Ice Beam and you're doing a good percentage. You can raise the idea of Focus Blast as a second option. It is a risk if it fails, but it serves to Arceus EX killer, Umbreon (not very common but is usually seen) If the Dark Void of Darkrai ta some kind of problem, you can output a Scarf + Sleep Talk version.

Thanks Fireburn. I'm gonna try that out. I realize my team has relatively few switch ins to ground types and loses to sand Exca, but in Ubers where there are 2 primals and very low usages of T-tar and Exca, I'm not too worried. RP P-Don is tough for literally any team to handle if we're being honest. I'm not trying to deal with it after it gets set up. I'm trying to make sure it just can't set up to start with. Not without losing over half its health. And yeah, the reason I made the team was to center it around Kyurem-White. And like I said, I have several variations of this team. One of those actually does use Mega-Gengar over Deoxys and another uses LO Yveltal with U-turn. I haven't stopped laddering either. I'll see what I can do with the extra bulk on the team from your suggestions. Thanks man.
I just stumbled across fireburns rate and I think he brings up valid points. The notion of "every team is weak to Groudon" is quite harmful to your growth as a player. The reason you need checks (switchi ins) to Pdon is moreso that you sometimes have to prevent it from straight up killing stuff it matches well up well against. You can probably stop an RP don sweep due to excessive priority coupled with hard hitters in general but an offensive Pdon matching up vs your POgre/Pdon/Xern means trouble as you literally have no option but to let something take a strong pblades. That opens up holes for other dangerous mons... My philosophy is that every ORAS ubers team needs 2 Pdon checks, with the exception of heavily offensive teams using the pokemon: Salamence. There are a few high level players who definitely agree with me on this and most of the community accepts this as a universal fact. Fireburns suggestions in fact gives you just that which I'd say is fair. It is also important to synergize your Pdon countermeasures wisely. The Bronzong+Arceus-Water combination is again quite notable in this aspect. Always think of how to handle SR as well as SD and RP sets. You should be able to switch into almost any Pdon set with the pair of checks you choose and Zong/Waterceus does just that. I guess what I'm trying to convey here is that Pdon is like GSC Snorlax. You use it, you always face it, it's consistently good, there is some counterplay, but not preparing for it will lose you games. No GSC player tells stories about "every team being weak to Snorlax, therefore I won't prepare for it" because that's not true. Similarly an ORAS ubers team prepared for PDon will not "be tough for literally any team to handle". Sure it will always be good, probably sweep a couple times, but excusing yourself from preparing for the most common mon in the game is a very simple way to lose.

As for the rate which I guess I have to do now... I think regardless of what you do, when working with less conventional mons like Kyurem-W is to ask yourself how the team matches up vs standard HO (deo-s/darkrai/pdon/xern/mence/ekiller). I can say directly that this will have a tough time vs common set up due to the disadvantageous position it is being put in right from the lead. Ekiller/Deo-A are the only mons you have good in the match up but your own lack of Ekiller answers, problems with the Darkrai+Pdon combination, and a general difficulty to let Kyogre and Kyurem-W get anything done vs offense will make it very hard for this team. I'd probably go with Fireburns suggestions when it comes to it but it still is a rather HO weak team.

Good luck with ubers man

Last edited:
Hello, your team has some big holes:
  • Replace Kyogre with Bronzong. Bronzong gives you a strong check to all the Ground-types barring Fire move Primal Groudon, and gives you something that can switch into offensive Psychics. It covers all of Kyurem-W's type weaknesses barring Fighting and plugs a lot of the defensive holes your team had.

Hope this helped, good luck with the team!
Uhm... Couldn't Soul Dew Lati@s do the same thing as Bronzong in that case? Or are you saying I need Bronzong to act as the rock setter to enable Groudon some benefits? I'm currently testing out all the suggestions to see how they fare.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Uhm... Couldn't Soul Dew Lati@s do the same thing as Bronzong in that case? Or are you saying I need Bronzong to act as the rock setter to enable Groudon some benefits? I'm currently testing out all the suggestions to see how they fare.
Latios can't switch into Excadrill, opposing Latios, or Mewtwo (to an extent). The Steel-typing is important here. You can use Stealth Rock on Bronzong if you'd like to run a different set on Groudon, just be warned that Bronzong cannot set up Stealth Rock against Mega Sableye teams unless it uses Skill Swap.

Latios over Bronzong would also leave you with only a single check to Xerneas, which is bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)