Which web browser do you use, and why?

Which web browser do you use?

• Total voters
i use chrome, because i find it more smoother LOOKING (not like working smoother, cuz i tried FireFox and it worked just as smooth) like when you re-orginize tabs and such, and also, i just find it better than FireFox.
(not to piss off anyone or anything.)

I am finding Chrome to be a huge RAM hogger indeed which makes it a very poor supplement or substitute for Firefox (given that I am having visual memory leaks with Firefox)

Before I get a new computer, any thoughts on a good lightweight browser I can run dynamically-updating sites in?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I am finding Chrome to be a huge RAM hogger indeed which makes it a very poor supplement or substitute for Firefox (given that I am having visual memory leaks with Firefox)

Before I get a new computer, any thoughts on a good lightweight browser I can run dynamically-updating sites in?
Dynamically updating sites will always take up juice regardless of your browser. Chrome Hogs RAM, Firefox hogs CPU resources, so it really depends upon what you do with your browsing in conjunction. I really don't think there's a reliable browser that meets your unicorn requirements, since Opera shifted to a Chromium source. There are some speed-based/low-resource forks of Chrome and Firefox but both varieties come with their own set of sacrifices. You could also give Edge a spin however if you can live devoid of most commonplace features and extensions, its HTML5 support however isn't up to scratch yet, but unless you're on th bleeding edge of wesite designs you will do just fine.

I personally never have that problem because I'm rather spartan with my browser use, not pinning tabs, and at times just closing it entirely. I'm not aware of your browsing habits but people who usually complain about this usually have a too many tabs open continuously over weeks and shit.

If you're open to a rather simple solution (I'm not being condescending, just practical) this isn't really problematic on any decent computer with a bit of organization, discipline, and some smart and efficient extensions.

nah I don't keep excessive amounts of tabs open anymore (I close them when I'm done like a responsible user and everything), I just use twitter regularly from my computer because due to twitter clamping down hard on third-party devs, web twitter is the only real functional way to use twitter from the computer now unfortunately instead of gentler third-party clients. Twitter itself is the problem so I often just isolate it to chrome but my computer starts choking under it. (I don't use facebook but my feed updates way mor ethan the average person's fb, so, yeah, big problem) Everything else (including video games,lll) seems fine given how stupidly tired my computer is (seven years of nearconstant uptime and regular gaming/rendering use), except, like, video processing, not stupid enough to try that anymore, it just cannot cope with Twitter lol. I used to be a big time tab user (and my general firefox setup is very, very heavy because I use it for essentially everything) but I've dramatically curtailed my habits to almost nothing while I wait for the time to get a new machine built. I used to run months-long uptimes tho so that's how the tabs accumulated.

Sad to hear that about Opera tbh, maybe it's for the best but it's a little annoying trying to find a reliable alternative outside of FF/Chrome. I always liked Opera more than Chrome anyways... Anyway Im not really worried about features or anything so much as being able to keep twitter open when I'm using it (I don't idle much but I use it for considerable periods of time with minimal browsing accompanying bc I'm a shit multitasker), so I'll give a look at Edge. I'm not sure how reliant twitter is on HTML5 (I think very, and this is like the only time ever I'd say 'unfortunately'), I am as a user but firefox doesn't complain much at most other sites unless I've left it open too long while studying. Thanks Soul Fly

I don't think my requirements are unicorn btw :O I don't expect the problem to be solved, just to mitigate it temporarily and find something I can stick the problem site in because it disproportionately affects firefox and I think I could improve upon chrome's memory usage while I'm using something like firefox and doing my homework. I use a stock build of chrome because thats how little I care about the functionality of any browser other than firefox, most browsers I have installed are just for testing stuff. I know the solution is to build a new computer and anything I do here is gonna be inherently floored by my computers actual capacity, but I don't have the time until my finals are over to actually solve that and I'm going to have to find someone to assemble the new one for me so ya

(yes I've shifted a lot of usage of social feeds etc. to my tablet etc. but >.> still need to be able to run some of this shit on my desktop)

I use Google Chrome simply because it's the only browser on my computer that would function properly. Also because Internet Explorer is trash...

If Firefox would open up, I would be using that instead.

Firefox. I don't have a google account, so all of google chromes extra stuff for google account users doesn't matter to me. Firefox is easy to navigate and really nice, and I love it.

I also really don't like mac computers, so I never use Safari. Internet Explorer is the browser I use to download better browsers.

I use Chrome.
I would actually probably prefer to use Firefox due to its customizability and openness, but its sync feature leaves much to be desired in terms of security. Chrome's sync feature goes through your Google account, which has two-factor authentication.

I flip between browsers because I have commitment issues.

Currently using Firefox again, but if it wants to take things too seriously I'll cheat on it with Chrome or Opera again.

IE and MS edge are faster and look better than chrome, sure Firefox and chrome are more customizable both in appearance and in functionallity (userscripts, add ons etc) but I find less interest on those things the older I get, all I want from my browser lately is fast loading, good support of hardware acceleration and a readable console.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On my home PC I use firefox because its open source and is just really consistent. I don't really customise it much, but I just prefer the appearance of it to chrome. My friend has recommended Komodo Dragon to me but I never got around to downloading it.

I mostly dual-wield Chrome and Firefox. Firefox for school, and Chrome for play. Iunno, Chrome looks nicer, but I find both work just fine.

Haha Internet Explorer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)