Which Pokemon over the years have had the greatest variation in tier placement?

Off the top of my head, Porygon-2 had some large fluctuations over the generations, including in dpp, where it went back and forth between ou and nu - because it's viability came from tracing abilities and ou generally had better abilities, p2 was better in ou than uu and thus during tier shift often shuffled between the highest and lowest tiers.

Slowbro is probably a poster child for changing viability between gens though - from uu in adv and dpp, to ou in xy, then ru in sm.

I'd say snorlax.. ou for 3 gens then it slowly declined until it disappear completly. You can easily see how base stats during the years became like:

10 hp
2930 atk
32 def
2200 satk
23 sdef
3944 spd

#makesnorlaxgreatagain

Mandibuzz and Seismitoad are two that immediately come to mind. I would have to agree with Slowbro as well- OU, UU, UUBL, UU, UU, OU, RU. We'll see where it ends up when it returns. Aerodactyl has seen some variability across tiers as well. I'd say Jellicent has seen some variability as well. It lost a lot of viability with the Defog buff, and has floated around the lower tiers since then.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Mandibuzz and Seismitoad are two that immediately come to mind. I would have to agree with Slowbro as well- OU, UU, UUBL, UU, UU, OU, RU. We'll see where it ends up when it returns. Aerodactyl has seen some variability across tiers as well. I'd say Jellicent has seen some variability as well. It lost a lot of viability with the Defog buff, and has floated around the lower tiers since then.
Well, seeing as slowbro is getting teleport, teleport Regen slowbro is going to be pretty nasty so I’d guess OU

Gastrodon comes to mind. It'll usually jump from NU/PU to OU at some point because it's a good anti-meta pick to counter some specific pokemon, usually a water or electric type. Then it'll often slowly slide back down the tiers when the meta shifts in a different direction.

In a similar vein, quagsire is often good in OU with unaware to counter some specific threats, but is often an NU level pokemon aside form that.

Wobbuffet was Uber in gens 3-4 because of shadow tag, but completely terrible in gens when shadow tag as a whole was banned. Similar things can be said about dugtrio and arena trap -- it's great in gens where Arena Trap is allowed, terrible otherwise.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Quagsire has been up and down the tiers throughout virtually its entire lifespan. As of now, its tier placements have been UU, UU, NU, RU, PUBL, UU and now NU again. Though, when you see where it's used, it's even more of a fever dream. It's had Ubers relevance multiple times, been used across almost every tier outside of there too. It's one of the most interesting Pokemon in the series, free.

Seismitoad had a huge jump from a lowtier mon to a A+ OU this gen, and while not permanent on this tiers pyukumunku and ditto generally get ranked on every single tier VR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)