Which Pokemon Families Were Used The Most By Important NPCs?

>about a week
lol good one

Alrighty then, update's here, accolades and all. The saddest thing about me dragging my feet this long is that I didn't even do the counting on my own! A buddy ol chum of mine named Figment on discord did it all completely unprompted because he was curious. I just took way too long to add it to the sheet! Give a huge hand to him, he basically did this update for me lol.

...the stark amount of Paldea Pokemon that are in no-use blunders. Granted a good chunk of those are Titan fights, but even then it's a pretty crazy amount that go 100% unused. Wonder what that's about?

Also not doing that change I talked about yet. Too lazy lol
Thanks for the updated!

What makes me the most mad is is fact we have all the Teachers with hardly aby Gen 9 Pokemon, same for Elite 4 which could've easily have 2 Paldean Pokemon each, all the Rematch Teams. Icing on the cake is Penny who is another boring Eevee Trainer. Even GL could've used more Paldean Pokemon. Funny enough there are some Nemona Teams coded into the game where she Has Klawf and Brambkeghast

If you were to give the unused Gen 9 Pokemon to the trainers available in SV who would get whom? Especially if you were to add a Gen 9 Ace to all the Teachers etc? Easiest way to distribute the Titans would be to add them to Elite 4 (outside of the Paradox Donphans who can go to Arven, giving Toadscruel to Rika instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updated!
If you were to give the unused Gen 9 Pokemon to the trainers available in SV who would get whom? Especially if you were to add a Gen 9 Ace to all the Teachers etc? Easiest way to distribute the Titans would be to add them to Elite 4 (outside of the Paradox Donphans who can go to Arven, giving Toadscruel to Rika instead.
Rabsca goes to Katy obviously, replacing Heracross or Foretress if neccessary.
Tatsugiri and Dondozo, they obviously are meant to be used together in a double battle, so its hard to find someone who can use them. Maybe a special rematch with Kofu, his resturaunt could be used like the Striation Gym in B2W2 and the opponents use proper double battle strategies.
Palafin just goes to Kofu, replacing Pelipper and being the first pokemon on his team to help activate the form change.
Maushold COULD go to Larry, but thats the lame answer, how about Jacq? It replaces his Arcanine and can sort of help with his Biology theming.
Cyclizar goes to Larry instead. Fits him really well.
Bombirdier goes to Giacomo, replacing his Honchkrow.
Squawkabilly goes to Salvatore, replacing Honchkrow. I don't know, just fits him.
Klawf goes to Saguaro, replacing Goodra, as he's the cooking guy.
Grafaiai goes to Atticus, replacing Muk.
Brambleghast can go with Raifort I feel, thats a funky pairing., Replacing Gengar.
Gholdengo goes to Geeta, replacing Veluza. GatorEXs new video gave me this idea and I just had to use it.
Ceruledge goes to Ryme, replacing Spiritomb.

Rabsca goes to Katy obviously, replacing Heracross or Foretress if neccessary.
Tatsugiri and Dondozo, they obviously are meant to be used together in a double battle, so its hard to find someone who can use them. Maybe a special rematch with Kofu, his resturaunt could be used like the Striation Gym in B2W2 and the opponents use proper double battle strategies.
Palafin just goes to Kofu, replacing Pelipper and being the first pokemon on his team to help activate the form change.
Maushold COULD go to Larry, but thats the lame answer, how about Jacq? It replaces his Arcanine and can sort of help with his Biology theming.
Cyclizar goes to Larry instead. Fits him really well.
Bombirdier goes to Giacomo, replacing his Honchkrow.
Squawkabilly goes to Salvatore, replacing Honchkrow. I don't know, just fits him.
Klawf goes to Saguaro, replacing Goodra, as he's the cooking guy.
Grafaiai goes to Atticus, replacing Muk.
Brambleghast can go with Raifort I feel, thats a funky pairing., Replacing Gengar.
Gholdengo goes to Geeta, replacing Veluza. GatorEXs new video gave me this idea and I just had to use it.
Ceruledge goes to Ryme, replacing Spiritomb.
Thanks, I like many of those!
Wouldn't Rabsca be better as a mon for Tulip (maybe instead of Farigiraf which is Jacq Ace, though?
I would probably give Klawf to Tyme, though, to replace one of the Lycanroc's. The other one can be replaced by Dusk Lycanroc which is not used by a single trainer since it's debut... Maybe it should be used by Nemona instead, though?
Maybe Dondozo and Tatsugiri could've been used by Saguaro who would challenge you to a double-battle?
My initial idea for Salvatore was to use Kantonian Tauros with some Alolan and Galarian Forms.
As per Saguaro, I love her with Brambleghast but I would also like her to have some Hisuain Forms.
Teachers in general should've some transfer only Pokemon to make it more interesting but your ideas are also nice:-)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Surprised neither of you brought up Maushold for Saguaro. He's the home ec teacher and he already has a thing of using a lot of cutesy or feminine Pokemon. It woulda been fuckin hilarious

Gholdengo also feels like it could be a DLC character ace akin to Alder's Volcarona or Mustard's Urshifu. The image that comes to mind is of some snobby trust fund kid who is trying to rent out a large chunk of the DLC area as their private party zone

Surprised neither of you brought up Maushold for Saguaro. He's the home ec teacher and he already has a thing of using a lot of cutesy or feminine Pokemon. It woulda been fuckin hilarious

Gholdengo also feels like it could be a DLC character ace akin to Alder's Volcarona or Mustard's Urshifu. The image that comes to mind is of some snobby trust fund kid who is trying to rent out a large chunk of the DLC area as their private party zone
I just realized Ceruledge would be a nice addiiton to Geeta's Team. I would add one more Gen 9 Pokemon to Clavell but not sure which one TBH. Maybe Moushold or Bombirdier. Or maybe Rabsca?
Also standard Paldean Tauros for Eri instead of the Primeape.
Palafin seems to strong for Kofu I'm trying to Match it with someone else, maybe also Geeta.
Imagine Geeta starting with Palafin which always flip turns on 1st turn bringing out Glimmora which spreads toxis spikes. Kingambit, of course for the last.
We also need something for Miriam so she won't be left out. I guess Rebsca goes to her, Revival Blessing is something which totally suits a Nurse. Another strong canidate is Palafin which seems to be weak but is strong in the end.

Last edited:
I was thinking what Paldean Pokemon would work best for Penny and it striked me that Gholdengo makes a lot of sense.
1. The name Penny clearly gives money conotations. So does Gholdengo.
2. Penny stole a lot of LP from the League which is a type of Pokemon Virtual currency. A Pokemon connected to standard pay method like coins would work nice here.
3. Penny seems quite ackward, so does Gholdengo.
4. If Penny indeed is connected to Rose or Peony a part Steel-Type makes a ton of sense.
5. Penny acts a bit as someone behind, in the shadows, so the Ghost-type would also work.
6. It would work well with her Team coverage-wise.
7. A rare Pokemon like this would work well for her.

What do you think?

PS. while doing this I realized how much Ghodlengo would work for Honey:-D

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I was thinking what Paldean Pokemon would work best for Penny and it striked me that Gholdengo makes a lot of sense.
1. The name Penny clearly gives money conotations. So does Gholdengo.
2. Penny stole a lot of LP from the League which is a type of Pokemon Virtual currency. A Pokemon connected to standard pay method like coins would work nice here.
3. Penny seems quite ackward, so does Gholdengo.
4. If Penny indeed is connected to Rose or Peony a part Steel-Type makes a ton of sense.
5. Penny acts a bit as someone behind, in the shadows, so the Ghost-type would also work.
6. It would work well with her Team coverage-wise.
7. A rare Pokemon like this would work well for her.

What do you think?

PS. while doing this I realized how much Ghodlengo would work for Honey:-D
Er, while I wouldn't be against adding a Gholdengo to her team, not sure if your reasons stand-up:

1. First off, Penny's Japanese name is "Botan". It has nothing to do with money.
  2. I feel this is a stretch. Yes, LP is currency and Gholdengo is made of coins, but LP is a digital currency (insert your crypto/bitcoin jokes here, though since LP is supported by the Pokemon League and has 1:1 equivalent value to the PokeDollar its more like earned credit than its own separate currency) while Gholdengo is made of physical gold coins (which is seemingly implied to be an ancient and/or outdated currency as each Gholdengo coin is worth 500 PokeDollars). Also Penny hacking to get LP to give to the player is a means to an end, she has no interest in LP outside coaxing the player to working for her.
  3. This is a matter of opinion. According to the Dex, Gholdengo "gets along well with others and is quick to make friends with anybody".
  4. Now, "Botan" is the Japanese name for a plant part of the Peony genus called the "Tree Peony". So, by name relation, there is a loose connection there. Also notable, Penny is from Galar, like Peonia she's embarrassed & annoyed by her father who she says is loud & clingy (which is the same way Peonia feels about Peony). Infact, with so much connection to Peonia, I'm half convinced that the original plan WAS to have Peonia in Penny's role but at some point they decided to switch Peonia out for an original character. Proof of this could still even be in the script: In addition to her being from Galar and complaining about her father, note that despite Arven saying they need a person good with technology, Penny and her hacking skills don't do anything aside turning off power-saver mode in the Area Zero Gate. Also, Peonia looks like a character who would start a rebellious student group (her body model is of a Lass which in SwSh are dressed in school uniforms).
  5. Stretch. Penny is certainly acting as the mastermind and a puppet master of sorts, but I wouldn't describe it in any way relating to the Ghost-type. If any Type I would more relate it to the Dark-type for how she's purposely hiding and misleading the player. If you wanted to relate it to her ace, Sylveon, Fairy are tricksters and deceivers (also shapeshifters).
  6. Here's the thing though: if Penny used a Gholdengo, then she likely wouldn't be using an Eeveelution team.
  7. A rare Pokemon would work for any NPC. Like Greta wouldn't look out of place using a Gholdengo (infact, I think she has more reason to use a Gholdengo than Penny).

If I were to suggest an alternate team for Penny that wasn't the Eeveelutions, well, it would be a team relating to "Hacking"/STEM or close to it. Like, them not having the Porygon family in Galar is already a major miss, Penny should totally have a Porygon-Z a part of her team. But, using the Paldea Dex, I think the following team would work: Lokix, Magnezone, Revavroom, Kilowattrel, Toxtricity & Rotom as her ace.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
And here we are again! Teal Mask update is live! Spoilers, obviously.

Furret finally left No Use Blunders! Good job chum! Arboliva, Cramorant, Leavanny and Morpeko also made it onto the Master List.

I've also decided to make a little change to No Use Blunders: I have removed ALL legendaries and adjacents, not just the mascots. Considering those things never appear in anything besides battle facilities and some groups like the Tapus and the Lake Guardians seem to be considered too "exclusive" still to be used even in those situations I think it's probably pretty unfair to keep expecting that they be given the same priority on NPC teams as regular Pokemon from each region. Even with that concession given Paldea's No Use Blunders is still way too fucking big tho

As usual please look over the sheet and inform me if I missed anything! I'm mainly wondering if Perrin uses any other additional Pokemon in battle besides Noctowl and Leafeon

No, the trainer you mentioned doesn't use anyone else.
I wonder if a clause for Qwilfish, similarly to Wishiwashi and Dondozo, could be added, because Overqwil is a major alpha battle in the story of Legends: Arceus...

And here we are again! Teal Mask update is live! Spoilers, obviously.

Furret finally left No Use Blunders! Good job chum! Arboliva, Cramorant, Leavanny and Morpeko also made it onto the Master List.

I've also decided to make a little change to No Use Blunders: I have removed ALL legendaries and adjacents, not just the mascots. Considering those things never appear in anything besides battle facilities and some groups like the Tapus and the Lake Guardians seem to be considered too "exclusive" still to be used even in those situations I think it's probably pretty unfair to keep expecting that they be given the same priority on NPC teams as regular Pokemon from each region. Even with that concession given Paldea's No Use Blunders is still way too fucking big tho

As usual please look over the sheet and inform me if I missed anything! I'm mainly wondering if Perrin uses any other additional Pokemon in battle besides Noctowl and Leafeon
Awesome work as always:-)
Did you add Ogre Clan as well?
https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/kitakamiogreclan.shtml

One even uses Mousehold and another Male Basculegion (previously only female was used by Ingo:-)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Awesome work as always:-)
Did you add Ogre Clan as well?
https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/kitakamiogreclan.shtml

One even uses Mousehold and another Male Basculegion (previously only female was used by Ingo:-)
Nah, I didn't determine them to be "important" NPCs despite their strong teams. IMO they're in the same gray area as the extra gym challenger trainers in SWSH where they technically have unique designs and are a step above most in terms of power level but aren't really major characters

Nah, I didn't determine them to be "important" NPCs despite their strong teams. IMO they're in the same gray area as the extra gym challenger trainers in SWSH where they technically have unique designs and are a step above most in terms of power level but aren't really major characters
With a big stretch one can name them the Gym Leaders of DLC especially since Indigo Disc gives us another Elite 4:-D

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Indigo Disk update is here! Well, except for one little detail I hope a respondent can clear up: The battle data says re-rematch Nemona uses one of Decidueye, Infernape or Greninja depending on your chosen Paldea starter. Serebii, on the other hand, says she sticks with Goodra in that slot. Which is it?

Other than that, it's like Lord Godwin said: No eliminations for Paldea mons from No-Use Blunders bafflingly enough (Couldn't they at least have given Katy or Tulip Rabsca?) but a huge rally for the starters. Notably, Empoleon is now tied with Charizard for the most used starter! Huge win for Cobalt Empoleon. Also once again shoutout to Figment (ManchildMine on here) for doing some counting for me

Last edited:
Indigo Disk update is here! Well, except for one little detail I hope a respondent can clear up: The battle data says re-rematch Nemona uses one of Decidueye, Infernape or Greninja depending on your chosen Paldea starter. Serebii, on the other hand, says she sticks with Goodra in that slot. Which is it?

Other than that, it's like Lord Godwin said: No eliminations for Paldea mons from No-Use Blunders bafflingly enough (Couldn't they at least have given Katy or Tulip Rabsca?) but a huge rally for the starters. Notably, Empoleon is now tied with Charizard for the most used starter! Huge win for Cobalt Empoleon. Also once again shoutout to Figment (ManchildMine on here) for doing some counting for me
If you would separate Pokémon to forms I believe we finally got Dusk Lycanroc being used:-) and Nemona give you the combat breed Tauros. Reifort gives you a Ghimighoul but not sure it counts:-P

Sad the Trainers in Battle Club don't request certain Pokémon to you for the trades, like Capsakid for Crispin, Ghimighoul/Vroon for Amarys, Fidough/Finizen for Lacey, Cyclizar for Drayton, child of your Starter for Kieran, Bagon/Larvitar for Carmine, H-Zorua for Cyrano which evolved forms they would use for the rematches but also Elekid for Iono, Chespin for Geeta etc (basically Pokémon they use in the Rematches against you).

That would be dope:-)

PS.
I also noticed a small mistake:
Mabosstiff is used 2 and not 1. Giacomo also has one in the base game rematch:-)

Last edited:
The su2_bukatu teams are for the coach battles, not the ace tournament (schoolwars). Presumably they upgrade after the epilogue when you can actually unlock them. Serebii just doesn't list any of the unplayable content so far.

The su2_bukatu teams are for the coach battles, not the ace tournament (schoolwars). Presumably they upgrade after the epilogue when you can actually unlock them. Serebii just doesn't list any of the unplayable content so far.
I like some attention to detail like the fact both Jacq and Nemona got 1 Kitakami Dex Pokémon (Victreebel and Kommo-o) on top of the BB Pokémon like most of the rest (bar Penny and Arven). Tyme getting that Dusk Lycanroc is quite strange yet welcomed addition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)