Project What's Their Last?

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting is closed, SMB's Lando is the winner of week 2.
Interestingly, none of the submission were even close to the actual 6th mon - Sandslash-Alola

When I originally built this team, it was because I wanted to make Sandslash-Alola somehow work despite being an absolute unmon. It kind of works well on this team tho - if you lead Abomasnow + Sandslash you pretty much get a guaranteed Aurora Veil set, even against other weather teams as long as you preserve Aboma's Mega Evolution for the right turn. Other than that, I don't really use Sandslash for anything - usually it dies to a Fire attack anyways and if not I usually just sack it. But it does also give this team a bit of a "fast mode" in a pinch if I can't get Trick Room up right away. I also just kind of like this team because it allows me to use a non-conventional lead on a TR team that would traditionally shoot for a Fake Out + Trick Room as soon as possible.

But yeah, Sandslash still sucks so I thought I'd toss this team out for other suggestions for the sixth, and you guys delivered. So, thanks! :)
The Hall of Fame post on page 1 has been updated

Week 3 team is provided by the winner SMB

Celesteela @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 16 SpA / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Snarl
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Lele @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 76 SpA / 112 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Ally Switch
- Protect

I built this team around specs celesteela because offensive celesteela is, in my opinion, a really good set that many people sleep on and can get some unexpected kills while snowballing. P2 is a good partner because of how reliably it can set up trick room to get the speed advantage while checking zygarde and bulky psychic or normal types with toxic, which otherwise would be annoying for the team. Manectric provides a fast mode to the team, lightning rod protects celesteela from electric types like zapdos or koko, checks zard and metagross and intimidate/snarl support helps p2 to set up tr. Next mon I added was landorus, because I like double intimidate on manectric teams since it can't switch in very often. Landorus is another check to electric types and zygarde that can reliable switch in to both of them, I'm using this rockium set mainly because I wanted to straight knock out zapdos, and in trick room it can also be useful to beat kyub or zard (if you don't want to miss se). I opted for bulky tapu lele as my tapu of choice because it checks kyub, amoonguss, and tapu fini (with psyshock), can work in trick room and ally switch is nice to keep celesteela alive longer if needed.

But what's their last?

Submissions close Tuesday February 19th at 8:00pm EST

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
So the main things I see missing from SMB's team are important resists in Fire and Water, with zero resists currently in each case. Looking at opposing Water-types, Tapu Fini is somewhat manageable, but the team could definitely do with more to help deal with it; while on the other hand Volcanion is more easily dealt with, due to Landorus-T being able to hit it and Porygon2 being able to Toxic it more reliably. Also the rain matchup could be improved, as right now only Porygon2 can take an attack under rain without screaming to run to the nearest Pokemon Center. On the Fire-type side of things, a well played Mega Charizard-Y team (such as Ezrael's team) can also pose some issues I feel, as unless Manectric is out or Trick Room is up, Charizard + Kyurem-B / Kartana can deal real damage to the team. Also, Incineroar can be quite annoying, by Flare Blitzing Celesteela, removing Porygon2's Eviolite, and pivoting as it pleases; as even with double Intimidate to weaken it, Landorus-T is the only present team member which really threatens it.

Volcanion @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

With the above thought process in mind I decided on Volcanion for the team. Due to its typing and ability, Volcanion has a 4x resist to Fire and an immunity to Water, filling the aforementioned holes in the team's defensive typing synergy. Furthermore, it can safely switch into Tapu Fini, being healed 25% by Muddy Water instead of having it's accuracy dropped and missing everything, and can hit back with Sludge Bomb for sizeable damage. It can also switch into opposing Volcanion, and while not really threatening it, this is enough to help ensure the rest of the team can deal with it. Against rain Volcanion is a big help, being able to absorb any Water attacks (pun intended) and deal well with common rain Pokemon, as Sludge Bomb hits Ludicolo and helps do some damage against Kingdra, while rain-boosted Steam Eruption will take a large chunk out of Pelipper and Mega Swampert, the latter of which has its Earthquake readily weakened by having two Intimidate users. Against Mega Charizard-Y, Volcanion provides a safe switch-in to any Fire attacks, and can then hit back in force. Due to its comfortable physical bulk, it can also help particularly against the Charizard + Kyurem-B / Kartana sort of combinations mentioned before, especially with the help of Intimidate support. Finally, against Incineroar, Volcanion can very simply just threaten to KO it with Steam Eruption.

Setwise I went for Sludge Bomb to do the stuff mentioned above; along with Wiki Berry, since that's generally the best item, and Z move is already used up while Shuca Berry isn't so useful on this team, which already has two Ground immunities. Lastly, I went for a Quiet nature to optimise Volcanion's speed for Trick Room (notably meaning you will move before Incineroar that aren't min Speed), and a simple 252/252 spread because I couldn't find anything better.

Last edited:

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I noticed that the team can't switch into water or fire attacks very well, making stuff like rain or fire type attackers in general threatening. I was especially scared about camelroom. The team as is also doesn't fully utilize trick room, but also has mane, lando, and lele, all of which would like to be moving first if possible most of the time. Due to this I thought tailroom would work pretty well here.
suicune.gif

Suicune @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 72 SpA / 108 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Tailwind
Cune made sense to me as a patch to all the holes I mentioned above. Serves as a general sponge to pressure vs rain, roar cune is notoriously potent vs trick room, and it provides another, reliable speed control setter that can set up preferable field conditions consistently. Special defense investment allows you to eat a timid life orb koko tbolt in terrain, allowing you the ability to set up tailwind if necessary vs it, but it's otherwise a pretty standard cune. This option doesn't particularly account for zard, but mane is already present on the team to pressure it, and in some scenarios if cune is healthy it can set up tw vs zard, allowing you to apply pressure to it.

Last edited:
  • Rain. The team has no water resist and while Lele is EV'd to live a Kingdra Hydro Vortex the team doesn't fare particularly well against rain.
  • Charizard-Y. At least this time Manectric can outspeed and use Snarl/ Volt Switch to minimise Charizard's influence, however with no fire resists and P2 being physically defensive any time Charizard uses Overheat/ Heat Wave it will deal lots of damage.
  • Deoxys-Attack. Similarly to Kingdra Deoxys outspeeds and threatens major damage to the whole team. This matchup is mostly bad because you set terrain for Deoxys with one of your few psychic resists and have no way to remove it. Celesteela and Ally Switch Tapu Lele give the team some answers to it, however Lele is also needed to help deal with Kingdra so some extra support against rain psyspam will be useful.
  • Speed control. Trick Room is the only form of speed control and only Celesteela benefits significantly from it. The team is bulky enough to not be overly reliant on speed control however another Trick Room abuser or a different form of speed control would be helpful.
  • Incineroar. Only Landorus can deal over 50% to Incineroar and that is only with its Z move, Earthquake (neither KO at -1) or a neutral attack Stone Edge. Double intimidate prevents Incineroar from doing major damage but Knock Off and Flare Blitz are pretty free moves, with no fire resist and Porygon2 and Celesteela both needing their item to be effective.

To help solve these issues I think Araquanid is a good choice.

Araquanid @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Liquidation
- Bug Bite
- Wide Guard
- Protect

I opted to go for a simple 252/252 spread mostly for this calc:
-1 252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 20 Def Incineroar: 292-348 (74.1 - 88.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Araquanid avoids a 2HKO from Charizard-Y's Overheat and Kingdra's Draco Meteor and is able to 2HKO Charizard-Y in sun, even at -1. Araquanid doesn't help that much against Deoxys-A but Deoxys-A is the least common threat and can be checked by Tapu Lele and Celesteela, now that they are less important in the rain matchup. Intimidate from Mega Manectric and Landorus-T help compensate for Araquanid's lower defense stat, in addition to Lightningrod from regular Manectric protecting Araquanid from electric moves. Wide Guard keeps allies safe from otherwise threatening spread moves such as Heat Wave and Muddy Water, particularly from Volcanion/Tapu Fini and Kingdra that Araquanid can't deal much damage to. I felt Bug Bite was the best choice for the last move, as Porygon2 already has Toxic, and the team has double intimidate, making Lunge overkill. Being the slowest member of the team allows Araquanid to eat opposing pinch berries in Trick Room before its teammates deal damage that would activate them. Bug Bite also allows Araquanid to 2HKO Ludicolo, which is handy.

Last edited:
What I was feeling that SMB's team is currently lacking is a switch-in to water attacks, fire attacks, and something that can act as a significant threat while under Trick Room. Whatever is this 6th slot has to be viable offensively under Trick Room and patch up the defensive coverage the team struggles with. For me, I also wanted to take it one step further and make it also act as support for the Celesteela and help guarantee that it continues to deal damage.

Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Recover

For this Gastrodon I took the spread from qsns in the Team Building Competition thread when he and Croven put in their Mega Latias team. I am going with Scald and Earth Power as the coverage attacks to maximize the damage that Gastrodon deals with STAB attacks. Trading off the ice coverage, as that's on Porygon2, I am putting Protect and Recover as the last two moves, and Rindo Berry as the item to improve the longevity and to let Gastrodon continue switching into and trading with Pokemon on the other team and make the most out of Porygon2's Toxic. With lightning rod initially on the team, I decided to take it even one step further by continuing the pressure with storm drain. The two abilities, the intimidate available, and the bulk of Porygon2 and Gastrodon make it easier to ignore the Pokemon the opponent brings to start off. With the high base damages on Celesteela and Tapu Lele, I don't think that Gastrodon needs to inherently match them, especially in the stages of the game where the two pokemon deal enough damage to ignore the type chart. Whenever against a Volcanion, or a Tapu Fini, Gastrodon will make it especially difficult to deal the damage to Celesteela without getting immediately punished. Gastrodon also baits in grass type Pokemon such as Kartana, which are then quickly hard walled by Celesteela and can be used to get a Beast Boost to further improve this team's positioning.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's allowed to do it this way, but I will try to guess which was the actual 6th mon from the sets that are used, as they serve a purpose to help the 6th slot.

As everyone said, this team lacks a reliable Fire and Water resist, so the missing mon must be a water-type. Manectric + ally switch Tapu Lele suggests that it's setup mon, as Ally Switch often helps to setup. Techs such as rockium Landorus for Zapdos/Zard Y and specs giga, fire blast Celesteela for Gastrodon, Kartana and Ferrothorn made me think of psychic seed coil Milotic, as it's an actual water type mon that can setup and that isn't fini, which is a good reason for running lele>fini in this type of build.

Seed Milotic helps dealing with incineroar, which can annoy if Lando is low or intimidated twice. It also takes some hits from Kingdra and can sleep it so that the team doesn't lose 6-0 to it lol. (While, for the rain part, maybe there are better mons to cover that matchup).

Milotic @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hypnosis
- Coil
- Recover

EV spread allows Milotic to take EQ + -1EQ from Mega Swampert, and the rest is dumped in SpD since the dex spread has the same SpD stat. I chose Scald>Hydro because of its higher pp, and since this spread isn't really offensive, I don't think that damage is really necessary. Hypnosis is for sleeping threats like Kingdra before they kill the rest of your team, but I also considered other options such as Dragon Tail, as the team already has Toxic P2 and Milotic runs scald, and Dragon Tail might be helpful to phaze trick roomers or something like Kommo-o (if Lele's gone, Kommo-o might be painful to deal with).

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting is closed. Yoda's Volcanion wins. The actual 6th mon is also Volcanion

Their sets are almost identical except for the 3rd move. Check out the Hall or Fame post on page1 for SMB's full team.

Since the Gen6 tour just got underway, now feels like a good time to change things up. Week 4 team is a Gen6 team provided by DaAwesomeDude1

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 68 Def / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 212 SpA / 48 SpD / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Substitute
- Protect
I am a huge fan of Mega Gengar in XY. Trapping is absolutely broken and a well-used Gengar can straight up win games. I like pairing it with Eject Button Amoonguss because Amoonguss is just a good mon to absorb hits and that can let me easily pivot into Mega Gengar, thus allowing me to trap stuff. Mega Gengar also beats Kangaskhan so there isn't as big of a need to run Rocky Helmet. Thundurus and Landorus-t are both standard mons in XY so I didn't see a need not to add them. Landorus has the added bonus of u-turn which also helps me pivot into Mega Gengar. Volcanion rounds out the squad helping me beat Steel-types and is a great Pokemon to pair with Gengar since, with the amount of pivoting on this team, there are a lot of opportunities to trap something that you can get a free sub on with Volcanion.

But what's their last?

Submissions close Sunday March 3rd at 5:00pm EST

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
This team looks like it could use some speed control aside from TWave, especially since field conditions like Tailwind can result in the opp using Protect to stall out turns, giving the multiple Substitute users here time to set up. The last definitely needs a way to hit Dragon-types as well, so I'm going to say the last is Latios:

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

I chose Psyshock to hit Sylveon and Mega Charizard Y harder, but otherwise this is just the standard set. The resulting team ironically has a lot of trouble switching into opposing Latios, but with a few ways to threaten it offensively it doesn't get too much free reign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)