what was your joker moment?

what was that moment that truly made you look yourself in the mirror and realize that we live in a society

I’ll go first, I like jokes, I consider myself to be the comedian in my friend group. In elementary school I had the same comedic mentality, and one day I was playing basketball on the playground. A kid I don’t really know approaches me and asks me “are you the funny haha man” (dead ass) I don’t really know how to respond so I whisper back “of course” kid walks away like nothing happened

truly a society we live in

i have had many joker moments throughout my life. you could even say that i am the joker, or at least a vague approximation of the character. here is a selection of joker moments:
  • one time when i was in the netherlands, i was feeling some kind of way i cannot describe. i still to this day don't know what came over me. but it culminated in me deciding it was a good idea to write DAMAGED on my forehead and then take a photo of it, a photo which i still look back on as the beginning of my joker arc. my facial expression in the photo is one where i am staring directly into the camera, with a look on my face as if to suggest my immediate thought at the time was "what the fuck am i doing with myself right now". truly a joker moment for the ages.

• one time in july this year, i was feeling particularly awful: i was sleep deprived and in a bad place mentally. so naturally i decided to do the same thing, except i had to write DAMAGED a bit differently because i have longer hair these days and if i had written it in the same way as in 2019 my hair would have covered the work of art. i guess purple faber-castell highlighters and my forehead are destined to meet every so often.

• because of my inability to formulate coherent strategies beyond the next turn, every time i have ever played a tabletop board game contains at least one joker moment. usually i decide that i want to be as frustrating to deal with as possible to compensate for the fact i would never be able to win conventionally, so i opt to say the exact opposite of what actually applies to me in a bid to confuse the other players and come out on top via orchestrating sheer chaos. it's kind of like how i used to approach pokemon exclusively as a way of seeing if i could win through out-memeing the opponent. normally, this doesn't work out for me, but it makes me feel like i successfully channeled how DAMAGED i am into a form of leisure.

• this one is two joker moments in one. i played two gen 5 ubers games this ubers premier league. the second one i played was one where i brought a team containing my favourite pokemon, arceus-fire. for once, it wasn't one of my teams, which meant i actually had half a shot of winning. for about a third to a bit less than half of the game, it was looking like i was about to be 6-0ed by lead substitute + nasty plot darkrai because of some very questionable decision-making on my part. i was about ready to start crying and continue my descent into jokerosity. fortunately, a timely dark void miss meant i was able to take out the opposing darkrai. the game was a contest again. eventually, i got into a position where i was going to be able to win with arceus-fire if i just hit four fire blasts in a row. sun was up, so everything was going to get 2HKOed at best.

first, the opposing groudon was OHKOed (after a bit of chip). next, the opposing arceus-ghost got 2HKOed, but it did win both speed ties and get my arceus-fire down to low health. now i just had to hit one fire blast, because the last pokemon was a genesect. the genesect clicked ice beam... and left my arceus-fire at 1%, leaving it free to click fire blast. which it ended up hitting. finally. i had won a tour game with arceus-fire. and i just started to laugh and laugh and laugh... in avoiding becoming the sad joker, i instead just became the happy joker. sometimes, you just can't avoid a joker moment.

• i was eating some pasta covered in pasta sauce recently. unfortunately, my hand slipped while i had a spoon with pasta in it and some of it got on my pyjamas. not just any pyjamas, either - it was a pair of garfield-themed ones i bought recently. upon realising the irony of spilling food of a composition not too distant from lasagna on a set of clothes with garfield on it, my face contorted into a smile and i began laughing uncontrollably. i stopped laughing when i realised the stain probably wouldn't come out after a wash, but that was definitely another joker moment.

• i had five of my pokemon in a row get OHKOed by a moxie scarf pinsir with earthquake when i had previously thought i was in a winning position. enough said.

another fancy joker moment, and this times it’s about my middle-school years. (And as a bonus you get to learn a little bit about Greece)

a normal day in social studies class (honors because I’m built like that) we had spent the past few days preparing for a debate Athens vs. Sparta, which civilization was better? My group was arguing that Athens economy was superior to Sparta’s. leading up to the debate day I had been saying the phrase “straight bars”/“heavy bars” to certain things my friends said. So I stood up in front of my class, present my factual and comedic based case, sat down and waited for Spartas rebuttal. I was listening contently that is until they mentioned that Sparta used Heavy Gold Bars to discourage other city states from stealing their money, I tried. I really tried not to laugh (especially because my teacher was pretty no nonsense) but I couldn’t help it, all the effort of me trying not to laugh came out of my nose and my mouth as a combination of a laugh and a snort, only for me to then interrupt and loudly say sorry while still chuckling.

classic joker moment

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
another fancy joker moment, and this times it’s about my middle-school years. (And as a bonus you get to learn a little bit about Greece)

a normal day in social studies class (honors because I’m built like that) we had spent the past few days preparing for a debate Athens vs. Sparta, which civilization was better? My group was arguing that Athens economy was superior to Sparta’s. leading up to the debate day I had been saying the phrase “straight bars”/“heavy bars” to certain things my friends said. So I stood up in front of my class, present my factual and comedic based case, sat down and waited for Spartas rebuttal. I was listening contently that is until they mentioned that Sparta used Heavy Gold Bars to discourage other city states from stealing their money, I tried. I really tried not to laugh (especially because my teacher was pretty no nonsense) but I couldn’t help it, all the effort of me trying not to laugh came out of my nose and my mouth as a combination of a laugh and a snort, only for me to then interrupt and loudly say sorry while still chuckling.

classic joker moment
L + ratio + macedon better

I was thinking about job applications. There's a lot of stuff that goes into a resume that isn't directly relevant to the position in question, with stuff like race or gender as a prominent example. I would expect the process to evolve towards optimal efficiency when selecting candidates, so they stood out. But then I remembered something. There's nearly always a tradeoff between speed and accuracy. In many use cases, wildly inaccurate data can be part of an optimal solution if its fast enough. Prejudice may be inaccurate, but it sure is fast. So we can't rely on competitive selection to fix inequality (because there are situations where it is the most competitive option), it must be imposed as a condition of the system.

I was thinking about job applications. There's a lot of stuff that goes into a resume that isn't directly relevant to the position in question, with stuff like race or gender as a prominent example. I would expect the process to evolve towards optimal efficiency when selecting candidates, so they stood out. But then I remembered something. There's nearly always a tradeoff between speed and accuracy. In many use cases, wildly inaccurate data can be part of an optimal solution if its fast enough. Prejudice may be inaccurate, but it sure is fast. So we can't rely on competitive selection to fix inequality (because there are situations where it is the most competitive option), it must be imposed as a condition of the system.
BDDDFD77-5317-4F0A-AA53-8201502E9D9F.jpeg

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Aurora said:
i was eating some pasta covered in pasta sauce recently. unfortunately, my hand slipped while i had a spoon with pasta in it and some of it got on my pyjamas. not just any pyjamas, either - it was a pair of garfield-themed ones i bought recently. upon realising the irony of spilling food of a composition not too distant from lasagna on a set of clothes with garfield on it, my face contorted into a smile and i began laughing uncontrollably. i stopped laughing when i realised the stain probably wouldn't come out after a wash, but that was definitely another joker moment.
hi aurora i’m really interested (and i think i speak for everyone when i ask) when can we expect a joker moment follow up 2.0?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)