All Gens What are your favorite teams of all time?

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
cool thread PDC ill post some of my favorite teams that ive built over the years from various metas ive played (and also teams that i remember because of special things)

dp ou (april 2008): a hero is born..

my first team to ever reach the shoddy battle OU leaderboard. what a strange time that was. this is a DP team, not even DPP. lucario didnt get ice punch yet so this was a Swords Dance HP Ice Lucario to remove gliscor. heatran + machamp where both restalkers. mesprit was bold with max def to help combat garchomp (yea he was legal during this) and celebi was bold with leech seed and hp ice to also help vs chomp. the metagross was originally a dugtrio (for some reason?) and i changed it because i kept getting 6-0d by lucario if i didnt win the speed tie. im pretty sure the only reason this team made the leaderboard is because people started spamming hyper offense for the first time, and scarf metagross was naturally so good vs those types of teams.

dp ou (june 2008): an (independent) discovery of the great dragmag

around this time, people had discovered that you could use hyper offensive teams without a choice scarfer and just use deo-e as speed control / late game cleaner (i credit the discovery to husk, and his astral projection team in the RMT archive). it seems everyone who played at this time had their own version of this type of team, and this was mine. suicide lead azelf + sub magnet rise magnezone + cb chomp + lo dd gyara + lo mamo + lo deoxys e. my first team to achieve the 1600 mark on shoddy, landing me a spot in the top 30.

dp ou (august 2008): an (independent) discovery of toxic spikes + substitute pokemon

similarly to above, this was just a shift of the meta, and this was my take on the popular idea. the toxic spikes lead roserade idea i would originally give credit to.. probably TAY and husk. husk had a ts roserade team that is probably my favorite team from this era. ts roserade / restalk cm spiritomb / raikou / dd mence / scarftran / support mamoswine. really cool team. TAY had a similar set up but with gengar as the spinblocker, crocune etc. anyway this team also got me to above the 1600 mark after ladder ranks got reset due to the garchomp ban. this was about a month before platinum would be released, and we all know how much platinum would come to shift the metagame.

dp uu (august 2008): if it works in one tier, it must work in others

after seeing how effective toxic spikes could be in ou, i decided to give them a try in uu. uu had been recently introduced and didnt have very much structure to it at the time. pokemon were sort of randomly tiered at the beginning of the generation (or at the whim of maniaclyracist, who was running uu at the time). anyway this team was interesting.. i had a vileplume version too with aromatherapy but the 3 rest mons. double ghost meant foresight hitmontop couldnt spin. mantine was necessary to counter the very broken and very dangerous specs venusaur

dpp ou (december 2008): the same old fears

dp was gone, and dpp was here. bullet punch scizor, outrage salamence, heat wave zapdos, rotom-a, iron head jirachi and others had arrived. deoxys e, garchomp, and wobb were gone, and latias had not yet arrived. this would end up being the team i used in ost, and my first team to get #1 on the ladder. suicide elf, sub machamp + sub tran, sdef trapper gross, scarf flygon and mixmence. a very overpowering offense despite no set up mons. my favorite team ever

dpp ou (june 2009): a new attempt at hyper offensive spike stacking

the infamous smeargle team that i built with Kevin Garrett i faced a guy on the ladder using a smeargle hyper offense team that was pretty cool (turned out to be Aldaron) and thought building one would be cool, and we came up with this. kg used this team a lot in tour and we both used it to great success (as did many others) on the ladder

dpp ou (september 2009): the discovery of choice scarf tyranitar as means of ghost removal on stall

lol just noticed this is my first team on here with a tyranitar o_o anyway i can't really take credit for the scarftar idea, or the 6 even (credit for both goes to Taylor ) this was just me performing what i considered to be some "fine tunes" on the team. i'd go on to use this team for like.. 3 years. the first time i had really ever used stall (to any moderate success)

dpp uu (september 2009): if it works in one tier, it must work in others (pt II)

after some success stalling in ou i tried it out in uu. roserade had just been banned, so stall was undergoing some reconstruction. formerly most stalls had been roserade / tomb / chansey / milo / hitmontop / rotom (credits to ToF for those 6), and this was my attempt. slowking made for a pretty cool late game cleaner thanks to nasty plot, and was also one of the only true counters to a wide variety of blaziken sets

dpp uu (december 2009): the refinement

basically a better version of the above team. got me to #1 on the shoddy ladder with a rating of over 1700 and only 2 losses

dpp ubers (march 2010): a possible precursor to vulcan fury

one day i decided to try out some heatran stuff in ubers with ace matador, and this was the result. really cool team, heatran proved to quite a threatning mon in ubers with its standard sdef set in the sun, especially alongside spikes + a reliable spinblocker in hp fire giratina. scizor was a bulky sd set to help vs taunt cm mewtwo, groudon a standard utility set, and palkia the scarfer. jibaku touches on this team a bit in his vulcan fury rmt

bw uu (sept 2011): many choices

a fun little 5x choice items + a spinner to support yanmega + zapdos. distinctly remember trying to beat a team fatty had with rotom-h + donphan + slowbro and beating it maybe once out of like 10 times.. good times

bw ou (may 2012): awakened from a long rest

after salamence had been banned from dpp and i found sand rush excadrill era to be boring, i took a break. when i returned years later to find that excadrill was banned, i decided i would play WCOP for metro that year and went on to build a few teams. turned out this would be the only one i needed to use, netting a 3-0 record in the first round using different variants of this. a mixed tyranitar, scarf salamence, mixed shuca berry jira, sd acro gliscor, bold pivot rotom-w and cb scizor. a nice take on a volt turn core with a decent set up breaker in glisc + scarf moxie salamence as a cleaner.

bw2 ru (december 2012): winter storm warning

my favorite team from the spl i played bw ru. i had been spamming a lot of hail, trying out different combinations of the mons. eventually settled on this as my favorite one. sash snover, choice scarf walrein, twave slowking, occa berry + sleep talk escav, sub split rotom-f, and dual hazards epower + blizzard nidoqueen. choice scarf walrein was actually a really great revenge killer, outpacing everything sceptile and under, including getting many surprise KOs on sceptiles + nidoqueens + sigilyphs + moltres.

bw2 ru (march 2013): if it works in one tier, it must work in others (pt III)

i built this stall before nidoqueen got banned, and queen getting banned just made it even better. more teams lacked ts abosrbers without queen, and i won many of my games just from preview. silentverse had made the canonical bw1 ru stall, sharing 3 mons (lix / cryo / rose) with this one. i discovered how nasty alomomola could be and decided to give him a go over poliwrath. clefable gave me a better matchup vs spikes based stuff, and restalk tomb was the best ghost in terms of keeping your hazards vs other defensive teams, so he got the role over the other options (missy, rotom). this was actually a refinement from the original version of this, which was regirock / gardevoir / rotom / roselia / cryo / quagsire (blarajan used this in gslam a few times that year).

dpp ou (may 2016): the bat boys

discovered that crobat was a fantastic late game cleaner for defensive teams thanks to his speed + taunt. had bulky cbtar to remove some fatter starmies. quagsire provided me with a great check to a lot of water monsters, with starmie to spin effectively for crobat thanks to tar support, and a fast taunt heatran to try to stop other bulky teams from healing, making spikes damage stick effectively. inspired initially by a team from The Grand Babido

dpp ou (may 2019): my blue heaven

a bulkier balance team that stonewalls a lot of offense. sr clef helps you keep rocks vs starmie spin reliant teams. gliscor.. man look at that dpp sprite. what an awkward looking guy.. really great vs a lot of fatter sand teams though, especially with zone trapping some pesky steels. flygon + magnezone is more offense than youd think, especially vs fast frail teams with a lot of set up stuff. have used this a lot in recent tournaments, including dpp cup + badass tour + wcop

ill wrap it up here but might make another post with some favorite teams from people who i dont think log onto smogon anymore.. think im probably getting close to the sprite limit

Last edited:

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will post couple of old/modern teams from Gen 3 to 7 as some of those are my most played/experienced with. I really only missed half of Gen 6
so I should post more teams at bottom under some with a little story/note behind them, considering Gen 8 isn't far away anyway.

Without posting what I have not already, here is what I am currently testing around in Gen 3 OU.

https://pokepast.es/9e831e72ffac5989

This team has won me 4 in every 5 matches. It is a hybrid of mixed/ho (MixLAX/CMJira/Gengar) and ipl's (Tyranitar/Salamence/Metagross)
Dragon Dance team without either Magneton or Gyarados, also using Mixed Snorlax
as opposed to Curse.

I also loved ipl's stall team which I made a slight attempt to update to modern times.

https://pokepast.es/3fd918408cbad25b

This was my favorite stall team because it dealt with every old adv team around and consistantly beat them under the right player. Even today if these movesets are alteredcorrectly to suit the right conditions then this team could see more play.

And here's a team with Zapdos which slot gets played with but is fine either way

https://pokepast.es/6c170afdef771e34

----

Gen 4 OU brings all the Choice/Sash/Trick/Rock madness and thus my new Choice team that has won some recent DP tour and has tested real well.

https://pokepast.es/e413e91522db0d63

I have also played extremely strong with something more balanced offensively

https://pokepast.es/126967b16314051a

Focus Sash Mamoswine helps set rocks and take a mon or two down before the game's even begun. Mixed Ape and CM + 3 atk Latias help clean for ScarfChi.

Something similar for example is this which is purely for stomping through what you can to sweep/clean

https://pokepast.es/a49f0754d63cc1cb

Explosion Azelf were highlights towards late DPp and it works immensely on Choice teams made in the past by players.

-----

Gen 5 OU was a dominent era for myself running a lot of metagame cheese to get as many wins as I could. The following team can run Scarf Politoed and Specs Keldeo if you run Excadrill with Focus Sash over Terrakion so you can abuse Sand Stream
with Sand Rush, or even Mold Breaker if you want Scarf Latios and double Specs (Politoed/Kingdra)

https://pokepast.es/5145d30dcff9bee6

And this is just something I quickly made because I haven't played non-rain since excadrill was banned and Lavos' version with volcarona
is for a more consistant run because Starmie is there so he can actually protect his Sash.

https://pokepast.es/c662316bf11234f7

Gen 6 was my worst but I did make one exceptionally consistant team but wasn't around enough having little time for myself and smogon
that I couldn't really test it like I would've wanted. One without Talonflame because it took a while for me to actually try it myself
lol

https://pokepast.es/67de255af3c79e4e

You basically play around a Metagross-m sweep at the end. It can slow things down or pick up the pace and because my mons have decent speed
barring Azumarill I passed on Scarf Landorus though it is optional though I would Sash Manaphy so you can force lead Tail Glow into
putting yourself in a better position from the start.

-----

And we come to Gen 7 and I think because cookies deleted my teams from earlier on in the generation and metagames have changed and tiers alike, I dont have many left!

https://pokepast.es/30b1f9bb07606855

Kommonium Z over the Blaceon spot is more reliable for the purpose of the team and its strategy though when I remade this recently Blace Z with Sub was hot so I decided to try as well.

Also here's a pastebin export of some teams that have won showdown tours recently or done well on ladder

https://pastebin.com/Fg6NxXkZ

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
entertaining thread, got inspired by august post which exposes how fokin old he is mf postin teams from DP OU not even DPP OU.

bw2 - first team i ever got page 1 with on PO. this was in nov 2012 like 3 months after i had started playing. Valentine and moet created this in 5 mins and passed me and at the time it was unbeatable. scarf politoed / specs slowking / spike ferro / sr landorus-t / subcm jira / scarf genesect --- one of my favorites

bw2 - my favorite team i ever built. first time i ever got #1 on ladder was with this around summer 2013. weatherless HO since by this point in my career I knew i had some special power in terms of playmaking which made me only wanna use offense. the jirachi on this set is sr hp ice thunder iron head with expert belt since this was around the time ppl were just starting to use shuca rachi w sr + 3 atks and stuff like that, the set was too broken on PO at the time bc no one was hip to it yet. dragonite was DD outrage espeed EQ with EQ > fire punch bc of rain jira which every1 spammed. terrakion was sub sd salac berry, starmie life orb spin, latias life orb 3 atk roost, and scizor was swords danceacrobatics max speed jolly. here is the bonus log of me achieving #1 https://pastebin.com/ycMc6TAB

OR

xy - november 2014 to may 2015, very powerful team that ctc created and i tweaked accordingly to what i wanted to use. spammed this team every round of infamous ost 11 and had 99.9% win rate w this vs anyone. this team was free ass wins vs hyper offense especially cbbs bisharp greninja 6-0ed by sableye team. team was cool bc it showed how broken sableye was early meta even tho it was an offense. Tele would go on to completely steal this build after losing 400x to it and making landorus a hippowdon, and adding starmie to make it fat and easier to play for ppl that cant double switch. OG build was calm mind sableye / sharp beak sd talon / protean gren but we used band in oras for a bit cuz it had just gotten gunk shot and ice punch / orb latios or orb zam / scarf landorus-t or helmet. i used a shitton of diff sets on this like sd nat gift talon / specs latios / etc but the mons always stayed the same. my favorite team of gen 6

oras - 2016, most powerful team in oras in its time and the creator of the medicham outbreak. abr originally built this team but he had keld > azu but making it keld fixed bisharp weakness and took this team to the moon. beast team that basically everyone has used at some point

koko and celes lookin jacked, i built this team june 2018 to play vs ojama in stour playoffs. team itself isnt that good it gets 6-0ed by charizard volc and all that shit cuz no scarf. only posting this bc i actually built it myself and this team featured uturn + sr gliscor which then was everywhere afterwards either with sr or defog but now ppl use toxic which is prob better. loved this team at the time bc uturn gliscor was a great tech and this was also the first time i ever used medicham in sm and it is really good. specs gren / uturn sr gliscor 286 speed / z tbolt uturn roost defog koko / spdef celes / av tang / medi

january 2018, created by CTC. my favorite team in gen 7 probably and all in all an amazing team. infamous for defeating cdumas but it has taken out many other """"pro"""" players. og team is spikes boom glalie / spex fire uturn koko / spdef fini / edge lucha / elec z mag / scarf lando but in SPL i ran shuca koko and custap hp fire explosion defensive landorus-t. this is the team that made me start enjoying using non standard and led me to use shit like sharpedo and kommo-o. this team is responsible for me having a greater respect for teambuilding and realizing how important small surprise can be.

have a ton of other teams but these are my favorites. shoutout to all the ppl who've given me teams in my time espec basedlord abr bkc, shoutouts my boy Mimolette too, please post your collection bro

Last edited:
Really cool thread to look at and many pretty teams, gonna share some of my favorite!

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Jellicent @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Water Spout
- Trick
- Ice Beam

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
This isnt one of my favorite teams just because i have or better had all this fun playing but more for a "sentimental reason". This was the first working team i built and the first team with which i broke 1500s on PO, i was so happy and proud of that result.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 144 HP / 140 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 76 SpD / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Substitute

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder
- Icy Wind
- Substitute

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 124 HP / 196 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Magnet Rise

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 228 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 64 HP / 4 Atk / 208 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
Even though thats a kinda recent team is one of the team i had and still have most fun playing, i made this at 6 am with my good fren LittleBigPlanet2 and got some good results like 2 ST finals,won 1 ssnl and recently won a wcop game. I think there are very few teams i had fun playing as much as i had with this.

As for the first team this one has a "sentimental part" on me. I dont remember evs so i wont put the export, but set were SubPunch Mawile, SD SashRocks Chomp, Twave 3Atks Thund, SD LO Sharp, Mixed LO Aegi, LO Defog Latios. This was my first working XY team as well and this was the first team i used to break 1600s wall for the first time on PO, like for the BW one i was very proud of the results i got with this team while having much fun playing it.

So those were some of my favorite teams of all time, hope u enjoy!!

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Interesting idea.
I will post some of my favourite teams across the years in every gen.
I will start with Gen 1:

RBY OU (Before 2015)
One of the teams I spammed the most in ladder and in tournaments. The idea of this team is simple: lead Jynx had an advantage over the common (back then) Egg lead, as well as vs Kazam lead (Starmie lead was an uncommon lead at that time) with rest, and double counter normals.

This team was built when SPL 1. No chansey looks crazy, but in that metagame, Chansey wasn't nearly as good, since body slam could paralyze it, making reflect sets much less viable to counter Lax. Lapras was an even scarier mon, being able to luck things like Chansey with a Blizzard Freeze or with parafusion (BS para + CR). Jolteon + Lapras was not easy to handle in the late game.

One of my favourite RBY teams. I built this team around 2013 and it is probably one of the teams I have used the most in tournaments. This is an aggressive team that usually starts with Gengar or Exeggutor getting a sleep t1 or t2 (remember that Starmie was a very rare lead back then) and then pressuring with snorlax, tauros, zapdos and booms. Reflect Alakazam is the glue of this team.
Tournament replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ou-81125

Another team without Chansey. This was my favourite Rhydon team, a pokemon that is very common in current RBY meta because its ability to wall Zapdos and to break teams in the late game when the other team is paralyzed. Rhydon was even better then, when Body Slam could para Chansey and Tauros. There is an alternative version of this team with either Starmie or Alakazam lead and Chansey in the back. I used to prefer this version because it was more aggressive, but the version with Chansey is probably more solid.
Tournamet log: https://www.hastebin.com/wukebukiwa.sql

My main RBY PO ladder team when I was trying to get #1 in every old gen PO ladder at the same time. Slowbro is a forgotten RBY threat atm. Late game Slowbro is one of the biggest threats in RBY OU, especially when Exeggutor and Starmie were already down.

Cloyster is probably the closest thing to a Tauros counter that exists in the game, and can generate free turns with Clamp (you don't use Clamp to try to sweep, it is not Wrap).
Spies team featuring Hypno lead and Lapras + Zapdos in the late game.
This is one of my craziest teams since it has no Tauros, but instead it has a Lapras + Rhydon + Zapdos core. The logic behind this team is that everybody will expect the last pokemon to be a Tauros, so I can lure the counter of the mon Im hiding to win. For example: if I hide the Zapdos, killing Rhydon / Golem will be easier (since they will be expecting Tauros and not Zapdos). I decided to include this team to show a succesful team that does not have the #1 RBY mon, and one of the few non Tauros teams I have used.
Rhydon and Slowbro are very good together: Slowbro is great at paralyzing Chansey and Starmie, 2 of the mons Rhydon really wants to see paralyzed, while Rhydon covers one of Slowbro biggest weakness: Zapdos. This is one of the few good teams I have without Snorlax.
It is not really a team I used a lot, but I had to include this team to show one of the faces of RBY: Wrap. This looks as a standard team (with Egg lead), but it has a late game surprise, since it features Wrap Dragonite instead of the standard Tauros.

Yes, there is a Poliwrath here. Poliwrath was actually a good surprise to a lot of people, because back then Counter worked in a different way. After Poli takes a BSlam from Tauros or Lax, Poli was able to Hypnosis to sleep something (usually a Psychic mon) and then Counter still worked

RBY OU (After 2015)
After the RBY mechanics change, the metagame completely changed. Reflect normals (especially Chansey) became much better, resulting in a more stally metagame and PP stall wars between Snorlax and Chansey became much more common.

Some of my favourite teams:

The way to play RBY changed after 2015. Before then, the main "strategy" was to sleep something asap, to para stuff with t-wave or body slam and then trying to win with a late game threat such as Tauros, Zapdos, Lapras, Rhydon, Slowbro, etc
After 2015 the metagame was slower and based around t-wave and reflect wars, with t1 usually being alakazam / starmie paralyzing each other and then trying to break with Snorlax early game (sometimes trying to get an early sleep with something like Sing Chansey or Jynx lead, or trying to freeze something spamming IB).

Some of the pre 2015 teams probably still work in current meta, but would probably nead changes in some movesets, and probably Chansey in the ones that don't have one.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
august thanks for bringing me around to this. I'll stick with teams that I haven't previously posted on Smogon to my recollection. These will be sparse as I've unfortunately lost most of the teams from my prime competing days. This post will just consist of Gen 4.

This was called Doppler Effect, it was a team I made with IggyBot in 2008. It could switch between offense and defense, which was particularly nice given the synergy here. The goal of the team was a Deoxys sweep, which was accomplished through chip damage via hazardless stall.

This was my modification to Kevin, Please Come Home after the metagame caught up to Smeargle in early 2009. Latias was outfitted with Grass Knot and HP Fire. This team played a more controlled style than its predecessor with the same degree of potency and yielded wonderful complementarity to my regular Stall. The combo was automatic in OU of Season 9 of STour.

This was my modification to Rotom, Charge (original version by Jabba) for use in STour 11 and 12 regular seasons. Rotom no longer uses Charge Beam, the focus is on Roar CM Suicune, making it the namesake of the squad (Northern Lights). This one dominated the ladder at that time, it was about 200 points ahead of second place.

The main version of teams I created in the STour 12 playoffs, I liked to call it Momentum Trap for its ability to gain switch advantage. The premise was to shrink the scope of the game through the forced elimination of key threats, at which point I could isolate positive matchups to close the game.

This was a team I called Misdirection Stall that I built for SPL 7 playoffs. At its core its a stall team, but functionally it's an offensive paraspam team. The build is unlike other paraspam, Jirachi plays the standard Scarf failsafe. Machamp is the primary abuser with Substitute, meaning it is not completely reliant on RNG to win.

The rest will stay in the recesses of my mind. There were some very cool builds I came up with for the suspect process (particular the ones for Latios and Manaphy crushed the ladder), but I'm too foggy on the details to put them to paper.

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Jynx (F)
Ability: None
- Lovely Kiss
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Rest

Snorlax
- Rest
- Reflect
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

Tauros (M)
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

Chansey (F)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Explosion
- Psychic

Starmie
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

spl 6 was the first spl to feature the new body slam mechanics and i'd like to believe that i was among the first players to realize the potential reflect snorlax had in that format (i didnt touch reflect chansey though). this team led me to four or five game wins out of five in spl 6, utilizing a defensive playstyle revolving around snorlax, chansey and starmie as defensive cores doing the heavy lifting, with jynx fulfilling some very specific defensive duties should psychic drops became too much for chansey. a few months after spl 6, reflect chansey started getting a serious boost in usage and reflect snorlax was becoming the new standard, nullifying the surprise effect this team could have, but it was still a generally strong team. as time went on lead jynx in particular has proven to be more and more of a liability and reflectspam became more and more important to break, which isn't what this team is necessarily designed to do, but for its time, it worked perfectly.

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
This not mine but M Dragon team. Back in Shoddy Battle era this team was gorgeous and some spanish players got inspired by it to their own versions. Hopefully M Dragon could describe it, I'm just gonna post it.

Jirachi (EstrellAdo) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 110 HP/252 Atk/148 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch / Fire Punch
- U-turn

Heatran (Krakatoa) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Celebi (Hierbajo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Grass Knot

Tyranitar (SandBeast) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/6 SDef/ 80 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Aqua Tail
- Pursuit

Gyarados (Leviathan) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/236 Def/20 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Swampert (Lodoso) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/12 SAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Protect/Roar

Last edited:
Last edited:
I guess I'll dabble in this as well to the request of one BKC. Enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Ah, where it all began. When I decided to rejoin the world of competitive Pokemon in late 2011, good pal BKC took me under his wing to get me back into the swing of things. I'd say this was our greatest collaboration, albeit few now that I think about it. This was made during one of the later stages of BW1 OU where there was no Thundurus-I, no Sheer Force Landorus-I, no Excadrill, no Garchomp, and Deoxys-S allowed. At the time, Magnezone wasn't too prominent, so if you ran Shed Shell, people would think someone snaked their team. And at the same time, Delko was creating the best Hail RMTs the world had ever seen. Speaking of Delko, his WCoP team, Team Benelux, featured many different European countries, like Belgium, Luxembourg, and hell even Kuwait, Mexico and US states like Ohio (if I was able to find it, I'd post the map someone made). A time where if someone timed out, you were pretty much guaranteed the win even if it was on like turn 2. Or when PDC was banned because he wasn't old enough to be browsing the forums due to COPPA laws. Back when WCoP was new gen OU only and no one was memed more than LonelyNess during team tours. A time where uploading Pokemon Online battle logs to pokemon.aesoft.org (aesoft more known by Zarel nowadays) to make replays.

The team was build around Sand Veil SD Flying Gem Gliscor, a set that was pretty uncommon at the time. When building, BKC and I took a more defensive course, though this set was more common with offensive sand builds. At the time, Tyranitar was pretty king in the tier, so going Hippowdon was, at a first glance, a neutering to the team. It actually proved to a good choice, since there wasn't all too much that was used at the time that could one hit it. By the end of BW1, Hippowdon actually saw quite a resurgence with bulkier builds like this until the insane rain abusers came in B2W2. Pokemon like Roserade and Forretress were also very viable niches at the time unlike today. Jellicent was used for the necessary Rain / Rain stall matchup. The team was glued together by a Choice Scarf Jirachi, a mon with great speed control and it could tackle Tornadus-I and Latios / Latios well. And for the most part, at the time, people would just Iron Head to win games if they didn't have a better option.

Anyways, some of my favorite games of all time were during this time with this team. The first and only individual Smogon Tour win came with using this, in which I faced Kevin Garrett and BlueWind in the finals, two highly competitive players in the tier at the time. Immediately following this finals, KG reached to me to join US Metro on the WCoP that soon followed. In that WCoP, I used this team in Round 1 and won vs Chase, completing a 3-0 for the round. I remember KG thinking I was a one trick with this team. Around this point in time, Pokemon Online replays were 50-50 on actually saving after games, so I don't have logs to it. If memory serves, I believe I flinched his whole team to death with Choice Scarf Jirachi.

I used this team still a few months after this tournament until B2W2 came out, which effectively made the team pretty obsolete. Genesect, Keldeo, Landorus-I, and Tornadus-T came and ransacked the tier. Not to mention also, Sand Veil + Sand was banned in favor of unbanning Garchomp. I remember trying different options during this time. Some of which including Celebi over Roserade and Sub DD Dragonite over Gliscor. I think at this point, the team was just not as fun without Gliscor and just really matchup dependent, so I just stopped using it in favor of more viable options.

Honestly, there isn't too much to say about this one. This was made during the same time as the previous team. This was prepared for my first WCoP round 1 game vs BIHI. Funnily enough, it ended up being nearly identical to an edited version of a team BKC was using frequently at the time. The updated version he had was the same five Pokemon but with Gliscor over Mandibuzz. The sets were pretty much as standard as they got. Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Sp Def Stealth Rock Heatran, Sp Def Celebi, Toxic Spikes Forretress, Stallbreaker Jellicent and then there was Taunt Mandibuzz. I can't even remember why or how I came up with using Mandibuzz for this game. At the time, niche would be a very generous way of describing its viability. It was able to tank hits and that was about it. Funnily enough, it actually just straight up won the game because he couldn't break it. I don't have the replay, but I recall his best way to break it was using Stone Edge with a Dugtrio, which wasn't doing too much. After this game, I don't remember ever really using this team beyond friendlies. I think Mandibuzz was used one other time in B2W2 by someone in some team tour, but it proved to be a futile effort.

So this is an interesting one. For those not well-versed in ADV OU, Weezing is not a very common or a super great Pokemon by any means. At the time when it was used, players would use primarily Haze and Will-o-Wisp type sets. Now for a tangent: Friends and I used to browse old, terrible analyses in the Smogon dex and have laughs for the inaccuracies and just the lacking of detail or explanation behind certain moves and strategies. Here is one that always induces a chuckle. Anyways, during this time, I stumbled upon a certain Weezing set. An offensive Weezing? How bad could it be? And as if it couldn't get worse, I put Hidden Power Fighting on it so it can surprise Tyranitars with a heavy hit. Otherwise, the team has uncharacteristic Choice Band Aerodactyl lead, standard Spikes / Spin Cloyster, 3 Attack Roar Swampert, Taunt WoW Gengar, and rounded out with Calm Mind Flamethrower Hidden Power Grass Blissey. Friends of mine may recall the iconic nicknames that were always rocked with this team. Such classics include "BIRD" the Aerodactyl, "EGG" the Blissey, and of course "BILLYHATCHER" the Weezing. Why BILLYHATCHER? I think I had a copy of Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg on my desk when I was naming the team, and I couldn't think of a Weezing name. 7 years ago was a different time, that's for sure. Here's a fun game from a random Smogon Tour where Weezing goes In. Most of the time using this, you get maybe a Fire Blast off on a Skarmory, a Sludge Bomb poison, or just an Explosion. Not much else. There's a team that, I think, came before this that has Tyranitar instead of Weezing, Aerodactyl out of the lead slot, and a bunch of overall better sets, and rightfully so.

I might come back and add some of my more modern BW2 OU teams when I have more free time / motivation.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the absolute legend from early DPP:
dragonite.png
garchomp.png
latios.png
salamence.png
magnezone.png
magneton.png

truly the most hyper of hyper offensive
smash them mfs with outrage
trap them mfs with mag
trap them mfs with the other mag

4Drag2Mag was like a fat hit of drugs straight to the domepiece and every hyper offense team ever built since is just chasing that feeling

Can't believe no one has mentioned the absolute legend from early DPP:
View attachment 211457View attachment 211458View attachment 211459View attachment 211462View attachment 211461View attachment 211460

truly the most hyper of hyper offensive
trap them mfs with mag
trap them mfs with the other mag

4Drag2Mag was like a fat hit of drugs straight to the domepiece and every hyper offense team ever built since is just chasing that feeling
I can do you one better. I remember when this monstrosity hit the ladder in BW2:

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Trick

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk

Kyurem (Kyurem-B) @ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch

Haxorus (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Taunt
- Earthquake

Kingdra (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Rain Dance
This team, which can only be described as the most braindead team to ever exist, was based entirely around clicking Outrage. And it did a surprisingly good job at it, reaching #7 on the still-pretty-active PO ladder. As long as the other guy didn't have three Steels there was a good chance you could just smash right through the opposing team.

Pre 2015 RBY team:

Exeggutor (Stun Spore)
Alakazam (Reflect)
Chansey (Reflect, Seismic Toss, TWave)
Lapras (Sing)
Snorlax (Reflect, Rest)
Tauros

Eggy was a solid lead at the time, as Zam was a common opener.
Zam was typically for taking sleep, but also useful for paralysis spreading. Once in a while he could sweep too.
Reflect Chansey was a novelty at the time, and suffered vs BoltBeam Chansey, but it stopped standard Lax nicely. Once Reflect was up Chansey could go toe-to-toe with basically anything else.
Sing Lapras was just the best! If Eggy didn't get an early sleep then you've got a good chance of sleeping Chansey on the switch. And if it misses, Lapras gets another go because it outspeeds Chansey. After that it's hard to safely switch into Lapras.
Reflect Lax was great vs other Lax's. Against a top player waking up was not always easy, and it's usefulness was sometimes determined by either opponents CH or paralysis. Again, relies on surprise for maximum effect. Reflecting when they switch to Goldon for the predicted Hyper Beam was great.

Despite my use of Reflect here, I don't like current meta RBY much.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
If DPP was my first love, ADV would be my true love in Pokemon. I find just about every aspect of it to be ideal for my preferences. These are the teams I made that I cherished the most in their respective eras.

My team for the end of the regular season and throughout the playoffs of STour 12 that drew inspiration from M Dragon and Tamahome. It applied massive pressure to the two main team archetypes at the time—TSS and special offense. While appearing like a stall team, it was aggressive in its approach to reduce the number of opportunities for the opposition to switch the tide in battle. What really set this team apart for me is how it made great use of a kind of low risk, high reward plays to secure and extend small advantages throughout a game that suited my style.

A team I made in my first run through ADV in SPL. Trappers were on the rise, which prompted this build with Skarm+Forre. Porygon2 was the icing on top to maximize the clarity of position for the other pieces. This team played very much like a stall, but with planned lures to trade for a desirable endgame. The success of a team like this comes from early identification of the opponent’s team composition. I remember cruising with this team on ladder for years after its debut.

At the start of SPLIX, I wanted to put a referendum on the entire metagame at the time. This was the result, and it redefined my style as a heavy hitter. Instant pressure out of the gate with CB Tar with Spikes abuse from HP Grass Gar (that nets a 2HKO on Tar with 2-3 layers) and physically based mixed Zap (for both Tar and Bliss), and Agiligross in the back to finish games. Both this squad and the next one are pretty suffocating against modern TSS by clamping down on opposing Tar and Bliss while still having checks and contingencies for a wide array of offensive threats.

This was the final product of a slump I experienced at the onset of SPLX. I recall a moment when Conflict questioned whether or not I even enjoyed playing anymore. With this team I learned to love the game again. It’s a very aggressive team masquerading as a defensive build. Skarm is offensive with HP Ground and both Gar+Tar are packing Focus Punch. The satisfaction that comes from cold clocking a Tar or Bliss with Focus Punch is remarkable and defines the level of prediction that sets ADV apart from everything else imho. This team has been a thrill to use on the several accounts I’ve repeatedly run up big records on (collectively 118-10) over the last year. I loosely call it Learn for both what it did for me and its play on Showdown as learn from me.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
I'll update this post later with in depth teams and analysis gen 4 exclusively lol. Starting from wifi battle days with salamence and garchomp, to deo-s trials, to todays game with latias. However today I present my favorite team I come across that I love playing with. Features three pokemon with choice specs. Lead suicune with choice specs, specs kingdra, specs latias. With banded tyranitar and stealth rock Jirachi with a Life Orb explosion Gengar. Really fun team to use I was able to get to #1 and #2 on the ladder with this. Who ever made this and sent this team to me kudos to you. gimmicky or not, it works.

favorite team.PNG

Capture.PNG

Magnet zapdos, SpD bulky empoleon , banded dug, specs latias, CM jirachi, scarf Rotom. Another fun team that can use work.

The third team. MOP(aeroblacktyl) helped me build ages ago I think spl 3? That season I went 8-2 and this team was used in the later of the season. Pulled it out the grave and made it again just so I can post it on here. It's not really playable now but it works against the right matchups as long as their team doesnt have swampert or hippodown. It consists of lead rachi with SR ice punch, scarf flygon, scarf magnezone, band duggy, iron plate sd scizor, and scarf tyranitar.
mop team.PNG

Last edited:
Now that I've been in quarantine for a few weeks, i have some more time on my hands and the cpl boomer team got me reminiscing. I am almost at 7000 posts which over the last year or so with how busy I've gotten has usually just been win posts (which is why it's taken me so long to reach bop).

Gonna go in order of earliest to most recent (ending ofc. at gen 6 after which i am not relevant). I don't have most of the imports so i recreated from memory. For some of them i posted RMTs.

ADV UU:

Double Electric Spikestack Balance

1589086153831.png

I made this for, maybe the first ever UUPL. It's not super exciting but I think the lack of Kanga is as close as you can get to originality in this meta, and Imprison Shadow Ball is a cool Missy set. Boom/Toxic Electrode lures out most of the electabuzz counters and Sub+3 attack buzz cleans with spikes on the field.

ADV OU:

SD Celebi DESTRUCTION
1589085743560.png

This team is the first team I ever built that was worth something. The concept was probably stolen from someone on Netbattle but it is pretty fun to play with and tbh it still works to this day. The concept is of course to lure the Skarm to trap with Mag and wall break with an SD boosted sweeper, and clean with the next one.

DPP LC:

The Trooper

Not that it's saying much, but I feel like this team is one of the most influential I've built. It is how I made my name in the LC scene while simultaneously inventing the set that got Missy banned. Taking from my ADV UU experience, I took advantage of reversal on Houndoom to make a great munchlax lure and solid lead. The rest is just standard strong mons with SubSneak Missy constantly dropping mons left and right.

DPP UU:

Free Bird

Similar to the team above for LC for Missy, I believe this is the team and set that finally got Froslass banned. There was basically no point in carrying any defensive mons other than Donphan and Froslass during this meta because hazards were up you just clicked buttons after that. I have many many more DPP UU teams but this is the one I have the strongest memory of.

BW LC

Double Sand Rush

1589087165557.png

With perma sand allowed in LC, I decided to make a team that basically exploited it to the maximum. Unfortunately, the current tier leaders decided to both retroactive ban Sand Rush and Misdreavus so you can't use it anymore. I remember giving this team to FLCL and I think he won every game for 3 straight LCPLs with it.

BW UU

Darmanation
1589086975164.png

This was the last team i made before I quit UU altogether (I felt non-lc post DPP generations were too match up based) and I took a year hiatus from mons. I only built offence back in the day, so it was another one of those. I remember it having some success but I don't think half of this team is allowed anymore.

ORAS LC:

1589087448466.png

This was the OG fletch dig oras team. It was the first meta I really ventured into balance and I think this metagame is one of the most fun to play to this day.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I honestly forgot to post here but this thread was an enormous chunk of what directly inspired me to make these two RMTs:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-hackmons-hopes-and-dreams.3653611/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-hackmons-desertlovania.3660611/

These have always been my favorite teams since I've used them back in the day.

I commend you all for this.

I also want to add a team of six Pikachu to this post:
:ss/pikachu::ss/pikachu::ss/pikachu::ss/pikachu::ss/pikachu::ss/pikachu:

Some details about it are here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-other-metagames.3499438/page-61#post-6047960
Managed to get a 16-0 streak and beat low ladder Classic Hackmons with it then get a 51-16 win/loss ratio, 79% GXE, and 1405 elo by the end of that month.

I made this purely as a joke team right after Hopes and Dreams lost its 28-0 streak. I got tilted over several times and wanted to stop playing seriously for a bit, so instead I decided to just slap six Pikachu on a new team and roll with it. I chose Pikachu probably because it was the first Hackmon I built on Showdown and it was the mascot of all Pokemon anyway. It also wasn't very good in battle, which was ok for a joke team. Anything is possible in Generation 6 Hackmons however!

This whole scenario eventually indirectly led to Pikachu being considered for a viability ranking in Balanced Hackmons as I challenged someone to beat low ladder there with a team of six Pikachu and they succeeded.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bh-impossible-pika-squad-peak-1440.3566443/#post-6695474 - Here is their team.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Apologies for the double-post. I'm back with an update and nobody has made a post since my previous one 45 days ago.

So recently, I've looked back at one of my other past RMTs. After piecing together some thoughts and connections I've decided it's my third favorite team of all time, closely behind Desertlovania and Hopes and Dreams for particular reasons worth documenting on this thread. This team shines with everlasting grace, was a mark of many firsts, and led to significant changes in my perspectives following its time. It is none other than:

To start off, here's an explanation of what this team is all about. At the time it was built, Cats and Rabbits was nothing more than your average Generation 7 Pure Hackmons team. It wasn't built for any major tournament or in an attempt to perform with major success on ladder. It was just a regular, unrestrained team built to give Magearna some spotlight and prove to others this Pokémon could be worth something. After using it well and receiving lots of positive outcomes from using this team in matches, I ended up really liking it and making it into an RMT. The RMT was used as a celebration to mark having made 1500 posts on Smogon. I wanted to make the RMT really good because at the time, it was setting two major precedents in the OM community. By making this RMT I would be making the first Pure Hackmons and first OM Mashups RMT since the revival of their projects, the first of these since Gen 7, and the first of them in several years. I was also very paranoid and wanted to make sure I followed all the rules of making an RMT. I gave this RMT my best effort and it became my first to make it on Team Showcase. Despite all I've used this team for, despite my efforts and accomplishments being used as my 1500th post, proving Magearna could be more viable than perceived, and having it become my first RMT to make it on Team Showcase, the reasons I have for putting this team up so high on my favorites list lies much deeper than just all of this.

More than anything, my reasoning has to do with the specific combination of hacked Pokémon put into a team this successful. As shown above this is a team consisting of three rabbit Pokémon and three cat Pokémon. While that theme is interesting on its own, it was mostly unintentional and I fully intended to make this a regular, serious team. However, throughout many months, I've reflected on the meaning of Pure Hackmons, its history, and its revival. I've looked back into this Cats and Rabbits RMT and realized, the rabbit Pokémon in this team are quite heavily symbolic.

Let's start with Audino, my favorite Pokémon:

Set after last revision
Audino-Mega @ Shed Shell
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wish
- Defog
- Baton Pass
- King's Shield

The point of focus here is the ability and the structure of Audino itself. Audino as a species is a Pokémon who serves the role of a guardian and caretaker for others. It is also based off species of fairies and real world rabbits. Both rabbits and fairies are associated which magic, which some of Wonder Guard's language descriptions imply it uses. Wonder Guard's main purpose in design however was to convey a sense of mystery, leaving anyone to wonder how a Pokémon would just able to protect itself from most attacks. Audino's own name compliments this better than any other Pokémon, as it is a pun of the phrase "I dunno" and continues off leaving that very same sense of wonder. On top of all this, Audino's Mega Evolution is the most useful Wonder Guard Pokémon in the Generation 7 and Generation 6 Pure Hackmons metagames. It is able to fit into many different teams to help take care of Pokémon and work in strong type cores with other teammates. It mostly serves as a cleric, a defogger, or a just a simple support Pokémon. Each of these are what a Wonder Guard Pokémon's main roles are in these metagames and although several can come close, no Pokémon does it all better than Mega Audino. Overall, it's safe to say Mega Audino completely personifies Wonder Guard ability to the fullest extent.

Next up is Lopunny:

Set after last revision
Lopunny-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
- Sing
- Sheer Cold
- Gastro Acid
- Stealth Rock

Here, the focus is on the entire set itself and Mega Lopunny's design. This Mega Lopunny set is No Guard with an OHKO move, a move to get around Wonder Guard, a status-inflicting move to punish switch-ins, and hazards to compliment the free turns given from its status-inflicting move. This is a very normal No Guard set on the Mega Lopunny, but in Generation 7 Pure Hackmons, Mega Lopunny is the Pokémon most capable of successfully running No Guard. This is because by Generation 7, Mega Lopunny would be the No Guard Pokémon able to take down its checks most effectively and completely cover up for Deoxys-Speed, which although was the fastest and most prominent No Guard user, came with many drawbacks. Design and concept-wise, Lopunny is a rabbit Pokémon who initially stands out as a bit secretive and cautious. It also often looks like it's trying to guard something with its fur using closed body language. When Lopunny Mega Evolves, it sheds out much of its fur in order to attack more freely. It no longer looks as if it's trying to hide something but is instead trying to go all out with its attacks at full force. Mega Lopunny uses open body language and looks more vulnerable as a Pokémon. These traits are much like the No Guard ability. No Guard Pokémon sacrifice everything they use for guarding in order to attack more freely and are completely vulnerable to get hit by any attack in return. Mega Lopunny personifies the No Guard ability more than any other Pokémon.

Why is this information important?
Back in 2012, Zarel implemented Pure Hackmons to Pokémon Showdown, became an active player, and became the first leader of its metagame. The most common strategies in the format were done by the Wonder Guard ability and the No Guard ability. These abilities both were incredibly centralizing and have dominated the competitive scene. They were also incredibly notorious for defining Pure Hackmons. At some point, there were lots of demands for there to be a Hackmons metagame without Wonder Guard or No Guard + OHKO moves. This demand caused Zarel to make the first Smogon leadership decision of Pure Hackmons and create a new Hackmons-based format where only Wonder Guard and OHKO moves were banned. This new Hackmons-based format was soon given the name Balanced Hackmons. Balanced Hackmons is a tiered variant of Hackmons designed to be less centralized than the Pure Hackmons format. In the beginning, Wonder Guard and No Guard + OHKO moves were the only things that distinguished Pure Hackmons from Balanced Hackmons and as a result, they gave Pure Hackmons a complete foundation. These two abilities are the very roots of Pure Hackmons's unique origins and characteristics that have left the metagame to be like no other. They've shaped the mindset of a Hackmons player even before the metagames were on Pokémon Showdown, as either everyone felt they could block everything with Wonder Guard or felt they could OHKO everything with No Guard.

Mega Audino and Mega Lopunny represent the core roots of Pure Hackmons and the foundation it was built upon. They completely define what sets Pure Hackmons apart from any other format on Smogon and give the metagame its own vastly unique characteristics. They are the powerful opposing forces that have defined and created the Hackmons metagame we are most familiar with today. Mega Audino, a Pokémon designed to act as a guardian, and Mega Lopunny, the Pokémon who sheds any fur that gets in the way of its attacks, are in their own way, personifications of what founded Pure Hackmons's development.

The final rabbit is Magearna:

Set after last revision
Magearna-Original @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Shell Smash
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Sunsteel Strike

For Magearna, all that's needed to be focused on is its design. Magearna is an artificial Pokémon with an extremely successful Poké Ball design. Poké Balls represent the ability to obtain any Pokémon. This is supported even further in Pokémon Home, where Magearna-Original is the prize you receive for completing the National Pokédex. Pure Hackmons is a metagame that's truly meant for any Pokémon. There are no bans and the only clause in the metagame is a significantly more lenient equivalent to the ingame Battle Timer. Magearna personifies the availability to use every single Pokémon out there in battle. This, along with being able to use any of the abilities and moves they have builds up the entire concept of Pure Hackmons.

One can also say Magearna resembles AZ's ultimate weapon from the Kalos war. This weapon was initially just a machine built by AZ designed to revive his cherished Floette. Many Pokémon had to lose their life energy for this to be accomplished. After Floette was revived, AZ turned the machine into a weapon. The weapon opened itself up in a flower-like shape and launched a large beam up into space, landing on the Kalos region and ending the war. The radiation created from the fire of this weapon created Mega Evolution, giving both Audino and Lopunny the chance to fully serve as the best personifications of Wonder Guard and No Guard. While Magearna is an artificial Pokémon built much later in Pokémon history, it was also made through the use of other Pokémon's life energy. Like with AZ's machine and Floette, the lives of many Pokémon had to be taken to give life to Magearna. The similarities don't end there; Magearna naturally carries a signature move known as Fleur Cannon. Fleur Cannon is a powerful attack move where the user opens their hand up in a flower-like shape and launches a powerful beam at the opponent. Magearna is currently the only Pokémon with this particular attack and was a Pokémon made in the same manner of which AZ's machine was created. There is no doubt that AZ's ultimate weapon is what inspired the creation of Magearna. Magearna must've been made to replicate this weapon's impact; the same impact that gave birth to Mega Evolution.

Conclusion
With all three of these rabbit Pokémon representing the most defining elements of the Pure Hackmons and several more rabbit Pokémon representing bits and pieces of what makes the metagame up, I guess I will forever have rabbits as my favorite animal :bloblul: . I absolutely love how this was the team I used to set new precedents on the revival of both Pure Hackmons and OM Mashups and the team I used to celebrate making 1500 posts.

The cats on this team are just great metagame staples used to help the team be more successful. There is a Prankster Haze Solgaleo who could represent a new light for Pure Hackmons, an unresisted Shadow Tag Mega Gengar which could represent the metagame's dark history, and the Huge Power Hackmons mascot itself. Mewtwo was cloned or birthed as a Mew then genetically engineered in order to exceed Mew's natural limitations. This made it the first "hacked" Pokémon out there in existence and one of the few legal ones. It's consistently been able to adapt to the Hackmons metagames and remain strong throughout. Mewtwo at its strongest being on the same team as Magearna, Lopunny, and Audino is especially cool because of this.

I love Pokémon so much.

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
All of mine are from various broken metas of UU over the years starting in late XY
:machamp::jirachi::hydreigon::crobat::swampert::blastoise-mega:
Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Taunt

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

This was the first team I built starting out that took me to the top 10 on ladder. It's gone through alot of changes since the original was a terrible mess that didn't have a fighting resist but eventually through UU room help I got this guy. This was when CB Machamp wasn't uncommon but not everywhere quite yet and got alot of surprise KO's from people expecting AV No Guard. Sub CM Jirachi was also a niche set at the time that not many teams were super well prepped for, although eventually people started realizing shiny Rachi=Sub CM. This team was from a broken meta sporting Mega Zam (September/October 2014 range) so technically it gets fucked on by that but all teams did so eh. XY makes me super nostalgic to the days I had no idea what the fuck I was doing but things kept working out lol.

:kyurem::doublade::whimsicott::snorlax::swampert-mega::crobat:
Fuckn Nuke'd (Kyurem) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Roost

2 BLADEZ (Doublade) @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Do it Again (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed

Nap Time (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

strong fish (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Obligabat (Crobat) @ Sky Plate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Built this towards the end of UUPL 3 and have an RMT for it. Outside of Omfuga using specs, Kyurem didn't get a ton of usage at the time and this isn't really a great set for it looking back but the team put in lots of work at the time. This was during a time where 95% of my teams had fat whimsicott and doublade on it (although oddly this one doesn't have stun spore fsr,) because on paper they did alot although in practice they weren't always great. The Lax was originally a Slowking but Pidgeot hadn't been banned yet so i swapped it out since I just fucking lost without it. Round out with fat rocks mega Pert and Crobat which was suprisingly splashable at the time and I had a pretty fun BO team.

:kyurem::seismitoad::crobat::forretress::shedinja::audino-mega:
Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Crobat @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This ones wild. Me and Christo got in call one day to build a specs Kyurem team and it went off the rails very quickly. We threw on a Toad to keep rocks up on Empo, then went on to put a normal Crobat for normal reasons like a fighting resist or defog or something then made it CB for some reason. We went on to add forrey for the spin since we had double rocks weak and then we realized we lost to all the bulky set up sweepers in the tier, which was a big deal at the time (Crocune, Reuniclus, Cress, and Snorlax, most teams had at least one of these at the time.) instead of using both our last slots trying to deal with all of them, we decided on adding shedinja because fuck it it beats all of them. Finally to round out the insanity we thought about Florges since we lost to Hydreigon but I suggested Mega-Audino since we didn't have a mega slot yet and its fat as hell. This team should not work and we probably just got lucky but it went on a RAMPAGE through ladder and room tours. I did this one entirely through memory so there may be some discrepancies but this team was stupid and fun and and just worked for no reason.

:Beedrill-mega::conkeldurr::Crawdaunt::latias::swampert::doublade:
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Toxic Spikes

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Facade
- Knock Off

Crawdaunt @ Waterium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Counter
- Stealth Rock

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Very Offensive team I built to utilize Conks ability to completely invalidate anything fat. A few months prior to this Meeps had used Orb Conk for the first time and from there it was all down hill. This thing murdered anything that you could want to swap into it and pairing it with T spikes Bee and Z Crawdaunt made extra sure anything that wasn't offense was fucked. This team was just super fun to play and definitely had its issues (Coffin was big at the time and matches up very well, knock Scizor wasn't really used yet but it still did alot of work when I did run into it.) Counter Pert had just been released around this time so this was the era of getting turn one kills against lead Beedrill, and it also helped out alot versus Mega-Pert in the rain. Pursuit Bee to pop Latias which this team didn't really have a hard answer too, and Doublade and scarf Lati just rounded things out. Team had to be trashed after conk ban but I have fond memories of the team in the short time I had it.

Those are all of my teams that come to mind, mostly because I quit shortly after that conk meta, but as for friends teams I remember include:

Christo's Aerolyn which teal6, him, and I all used in UU Open 2016 about 10 different times and only lost like 2 games.

Kink's XY volt turn which he tries to recreate in every UU with Tini in it since 2014

Shiba's celepass, mainly the one with Donphan and Sharpedo which honestly put Baton Pass on the path to being banned outright in UU

YABO's XY fighting spam

Hogg's ORAS sub Kyurem + Ferroseed

Thats all that really comes to mind, but I could definitely think of way more examples if I took the time

Last edited:
:groudon-primal::xerneas::rayquaza-mega::ferrothorn::necrozma-dusk-mane::yveltal:
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail
- Rock Tomb
- Toxic

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Aromatherapy
- Defog

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunsteel Strike
- Morning Sun
- Toxic

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Defog

The team got its name because when I was building the first version, it ended up not having any Arceus, so I've kept with that and the theme is not having Arceus now. The team peaked top 10-20 on the ladder, though I forget when, and features some underutilized sets. Most notably is phys def Yveltal, due to no Arceus this is actually the Rayquaza and Necrozma-Ultra check. It tanks a Dragon Ascent and uses Foul Play to OHKO. Originally it was Tyranitar, but that dropped to Surf, Waterfall, and Earthquake, and Yveltal doesn't and also provides Defog. Scarf Xerneas is also a rarer set, which was actually quite good to chip things down and provide Aromatherapy, great support for Rayquaza. It's also a last resort Defog user, and can lure in Steels for Primal Groudon. Thunder is for Ho-Oh, which can take a Moonblast and escape unharmed due to Regenerator. On Mega Rayquaza, Waterfall is for Primal Groudon, since base form ignores weather and Mega form overrides its weather. Finally, Ferrothorn and Necrozma Dusk Mane are for Primal Kyogre and Xerneas, respectively, but also form a hazard stack duo with Stealth Rock and Spikes.

:tapu-bulu::shaymin-sky::zygarde::shaymin-sky::arceus-dark::magearna:
Tapu Bulu @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Nature's Madness

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Secret Power

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare
- Coil
- Rest

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Secret Power

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

So one day, me and my friend discovered Secret Power, while in Grassy Terrain, can inflict sleep at a 30% rate and is learnable by most Pokemon. However, when Secret Power is used by a Serene Grace Pokemon, the chance doubles to 60%, meaning Skymin can sleep most of the time. But some foes, such as Ultra Necrozma, Marshadow, Xerneas, and Sucker Punch Yveltal, can overcome sleeper Skymin. The defensive core of Zygarde, Magearna, and Arceus-Dark can repel such foes. It's dumb cheese but it's cheese dear to my heart.

yeah that's it lol

RBY OU, 2019-2020
:alakazam: :snorlax: :chansey: :exeggutor: :tauros: :jynx:
I've only played RBY OU seriously for a little less than 2 years and have already found teams I use more, but this one I had the most consistent success (and fun) with. The idea is to bring in Jynx as late as possible (and with Chansey already dead), and clean up with its powerful STABS, further aided by being able to sleep. Snorlax booms on problem mons like Zapdos, Reflect Chansey (before it gets Reflect back up!), and especially Slowbro. Boltbeam chansey has good overall coverage, helps with Starmie and Zap, and Tbolt's small chance to crit gives you one last desperate out against Slowbro. This was a really strong pick in 2019 because wrap teams were not only semi-popular, but Victreebel was being used as the sixth mon on plenty of teams, and it got moved up to OU that year. This had a terrific matchup vs them and any team ending with a slow sixth.
You can't make any misplays with Jynx at all, and Jynx doesn't want to trade sleep for para. It doesn't want to get paralyzed at all unless it would still be faster then everything the opponent still has. It never lost an RBY tournament game except for the finals of Pokemon Perfect's 2019 World Championship and two sets in early 2020 around when it was retired.
Those that don't follow RBY might not know that the tier has changed a lot in the last few years and continues to change. Right now I would never consider using this team. Faster sixths are very popular like Alakazam/Starmie/Jolteon, and they'll all paralyze Jynx. The meta isn't great for it right now, but it was fun while it lasted.

Gen 5 GBU Doubles, 2012-2013
:latios: :scizor: :cresselia: :rotom-wash: :tyranitar: :landorus-therian:
Latios @ Dragon Gem
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Protect

Scizor @ Flying Gem
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpD
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Acrobatics
- Protect

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Nature: ???
EVs: ???
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Protect

Landorus-T @ Yache Berry
Nature: Jolly
EVs: ???
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Protect
For the whole 5th generation I was a huge GBU junky. Even after I got into the college I wanted, even after I got my first gf and first job....I would find any pocket of free time I could to play and theorymon. I was obsessed, and went through many iterations of a doubles team before I ended up with this final version. The team never had a bad matchup. I remember getting 1900+ in a friendly tour over a weekend (back when Nintendo let you marathon as many matches as you wanted with no limit) and 1700+ in a few "official" wifi tours that gave you points for events I could never make it to. Also a funny memory in early Showdown where I went in on the VGC ladder on an empty day, beat 3 people, and got hundreds of elo to shoot into the top 10 and make someone rage because of the gains. Good times.
Latios is the main powerhouse, Gem-boosted pulse was fine to kill something I wanted gone that could die to that move. Draco Meteor as the only STAB is very limiting, and then of course it can miss. Psyschock is chosen over Psychic on all mons on this team because it hit Hitmontop harder.
Scizor was the main physical threat to form a dragmag core. He was cool and I wanted to use it, not much more to say.
Cress was a big thing for me at the time: I found out a neat way of speed control. Back in the day, many teams were either a fast team, or a slow team with TR. I remember first showing this off and having people ask "why the hell are Icy Wind and Trick room on the same team? ON the same mon?" I wanted flexibility to control speed in any situation. Icy Wind is good against everything. TR not only shuts down TR-heavy teams, but I get to abuse it with Tar or Scizor, or if the opponent gets cheeky with spamming Icy Wind or Twave. I seemed to have been one of the early people to find this out...but this type of speed control would eventually become super common on doubles teams. In the following years, this cress set was probably used a ton for many teams for many years. I didn't invent it, but it wasn't common at the time.
Rotom was fun and paired well with the rest, honestly this very much looks like an OU team. Specs slapped hard, and Thunder was a real nasty surprise for rain teams. Hidden Power Fire is the team's easiest option to beat Ferrothorn, Rotom acts a great lure for it too.
With tar, I needed to have weather control and I couldn't decide which resist berry to run. So instead I ran sash; got a lot of mileage out of that, and whether a Bullet Punch, rain-boosted water move, or STAB Close Combat was coming my way, I could live from full health and at least do something. Tar is so strong, any hit it lands is a big deal. Fire Punch deals with Scizor. The standard was Low Kick for the tar mirror, but I never needed to risk that since the rest of the team handles opposing tar just fine.
Lando-T used to be Lando-I. I don't have a weather abuser, but now I have a landorus that can be used in any situation and be just as effective without sandstorm.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)