Monotype Welcome to the Black Parade! A balanced dark monotype that rocks (currently at 1776 elo)!

How good is this team actually (might have borrowed the concept from false swipe gaming xd)?

• very good, it rocks!

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • good

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • meh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • very bad

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi everybody! So it hasn't been long since my last monotype rmt, but here I am again with yet another team that I hope you'll appreciate. Today I'm bringing out a dark team. I am currently at 1776 elo, rank 13. Apart from a few personal tweaks that I'll explain, it has not a lot of originality in my opinion but at least it'll give a good insight of what a competitive monotype team can look like nowadays. If I have enough time, I'll try to post one team of each type before gen 8 comes in. As always, feel free to rate, react and give advises, especially for the nicknames, because we all know it's the most important thing in any competitive team xd! Without further ado, let's get started!

The Team :

Crazy Frogs (Greninja) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Protean

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Naive Nature

IVs: 1 Atk

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Extrasensory

- Ice Beam

- Surf

I must confess that for this set I'm really open to suggestions since it's very bad and I'll explain why. First, we need to talk of trivial things that we don't really care about: the moves. At the beginning of USUM, spikes was a go to move for greninja and so, since smogon recommended it, I began my journey complying to these wise advises. As time passed by however I quickly dropped that move for several reasons: primo greninja is very frail and he won't be able to set spikes often in the game, which is a problem since we're playing a rather fat balance; secundo being locked in a non damaging move gives up so much momentum and is bait for every living setup sweeper; tertio the extra coverage is actually very helpful, drastically changing some matchups while I previously almost never found good opportunities to set up spikes without sacrificing greninja which is quite a shame since he's more often than not the star of the team. As for the damaging attacks, ice beam is I think a must, dealing with flying, grass, dragon, and ground types with rather high power given protean and a hefty freeze chance. Now the big question is: why not gunk shot? We're playing dark, so why not using a poison type move to counter fairies? Well, here again, albeit debatable, I have my reasons: 1) it forces us to split our evs making us again frailer which forbids us more than ever to play agressively with greninja; 2) Gunk shot has actually very limited use even in the fairy matchup since klefki is completely immune to it and can then proceed to either spam spikes or t-wave us while we're not a dark type anymore. It can ohko bulu, but so does ice beam the majority of the time, it can not even ohko diancie, you only miss the ohko on koko but you can put him in range of ice beam and surf pretty easily by other means (life orb recoil, sandstorm and stealth rock damage,...); 3) gunk shot has a shaky 80% accuracy, yes it does slightly more damage than surf to +1 volcarona but even in this case if you had these two moves vs volcarona, which one do you click the most? I prefer surf over hydro pump because once again I value reliability over sheer power since it only misses the 2hko on klefki compared to surf. Just to mention that even vs klefki, the chance to 2hko him with hydro pump is only 64% if we take the accuracy into account (and we can't even stay in vs him because of the t-wave threat...). Then, why not u-turn? Well, because once again it forces to split evs and/or very low damage output, provides lackluster type coverage for dark teams (we're already stellar vs psychic teams, and u-turn power is otherwise only remotely useful vs opposing dark team). Still the momentum can be good but I feel the extra coverage is much more important: hp fire takes care of ice, bug, grass and especially steel types like m-scizor and ferrothorn and extrasensory of poison and fighting types, the latter being one of the worst foes we have to face. Now, the really important things: design and trivia! The choice between shiny and non shiny is debatable as although I overall appreciate more the non shiny blue version, I feel that the shiny black one is more in harmony with the rest of the "black parade". No, the real problem with this set is the nickname: crazy frogs! Seriously? It's not even a rock band! Please, help me fix it as soon as possible with a rock band name which has some link to a frog or something xd!

Imagine Dragons (Hydreigon) @ Dragonium Z

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Dark Pulse

- Roost

- Taunt

Ok, so enough jokes and let's get more concise! I originally started my dark journey with bisharp in tandem with greninja's spikes I figured that bisharp's defiant ability to deter defog combined with m-sableye anti spinning high deeds could make the job vs fatter teams. I had rather poor success with this method and so tried to dismantle defensive cores with other methods. Here comes Imagine Dragons aka hydreigon. As a stallbreaker he's a natural. Taunt and devastating drake ensures the opposing wall become radioactive while roost ensures your hp doesn't fall to zero, zero too soon. It's also worth noting that greninja is a believer in hydreigon, the two of them sharing awesome offensive synergy as we'll discuss in further details in the matchups section.

Fall-Out-Boy (Muk-Alola) @ Iapapa Berry

Ability: Gluttony

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Knock Off

- Poison Jab

- Curse

- Recycle

Alomuk aka Fall-Out-Boy is our sole fairy switch-in so it should be preserved in that matchup. If m-diancie wants dance like Uma Thurman, be sure to bury her till she confesses. Curse boosts your damage output while slowly improving your bulk so that your opponent can remember you for centuries. If you say to yourself 'sugar we are going down' don't worry because recycle and iapapa berry makes you revive like a phoenix and state that if you are bulky enough and beware of knock off you could be immortal. Knock off is there to act both as a grand theft autumn to steal your opponent's item and of course as a ghostbuster. If fairies wanna dance, dance, I don't care, poison jab will tell them thanks for the memories.

The Rolling Stones (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Rock Tomb

- Toxic

- Protect

Tyranitar is a secondary special tank which brings good utility to the team. Stealth rock ensures that the hazard war is under my thumb. Reliability over power as always, I chose rock tomb as a stab and yet another utility move since I can get no satisfaction from stone edge's accuracy. Toxic is useful vs fat defensive mons so that time is on my side. Protect is a useful move to gimme shelter, racking up poison and sandstorm damage while recovering from leftovers and scouting for potential choice locked mons.

Eagles (Mandibuzz) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Overcoat

EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe

Impish Nature

- Roost

- U-turn

- Foul Play

- Toxic

Mandibuzz is the physically defensive tank of the team. Roost heals off damage taken and enables me to get over it. Foul play is there so that setup sweepers don't take it easy on me. Now the questions you may ask is: why not defog? It's the only option for defogging on a dark team except for the very niche skuntank. Do you plan to take it as your last pokémon? Ha, ha, well actually... no. But my last slot takes very good care of hazards anyway while my team is not very much hindered by hazards as a whole: not many stealth rock and spike users can set up vs my last slot pokémon, toxic spikes are absorbed by a-muk and only greninja is a bit concerned by sticky web since the team has four slow members and hydreigon is immune to it. In many matchups I also very much like stealth rocks on the opposite side of the field so for instance even if my bug opponent sets a sticky web, I'm very unwilling to defog his sticky web and my rocks at the same time. The two last moves are quite situational in my opinion but I found them just a tiny bit more useful than defog. If you have some interesting tech ideas though, I'm open minded. U-turn brings some momentum so that when the opponent wants to threaten mandibuzz she's already gone. Toxic, despite being also carried by tyranitar can do again more of the dirty laundry: dealing with defensive cores. I thought of several other options: taunt is nice as well but hydreigon already performs as a great stallbreaker, I even considered iron defense to better take on physical attackers but I feel that mandibuzz is already sturdy enough for the job and unfortunately, defense boosts have no real purpose when faced to a critical hit.

Diamante (Sableye) @ Sablenite

Ability: Prankster

EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD

Careful Nature

- Knock Off

- Protect

- Recover

- Will-O-Wisp

Probably the most pokémon which inspires the most hatred from these last generations. His hazard bouncing, spinblocking and status absorber qualities are all very much appreciated. With protect, diamante fights like a girl (well technically she is so no sexism here ^^) but that's the way she does it, while with will-o-wisp, she's coming in hot. Knock off makes the opponent remember when he had an item. Recover ensures you outlast your opponent who probably ragequited anyway, saying he had enough. No doubt that m-sableye will get your foes haunted, haunted, haunted.

Matchups:

Bug: very easy: Let's quote this article: https://www.smogon.com/articles/monotype-bug which wisely states that dark is a very good matchup for bug teams as most of us should assume: "Mega Pinsir can put immense pressure on a Dark team, as between Aerilate-boosted Frustrations and Close Combat, there is almost nothing that can stomach an attack from it after a Swords Dance. Even Mandibuzz is cleanly OHKOed by a +2 Frustration after Stealth Rock damage". Well, I have a question for you sir: how do you manage to get the rocks vs m-sableye in the first place? Ah, yes, by critting two stone edges in a row on the swicth with an unscathed armaldo, it's possible. The problem is, without stealth rocks on my side, mandibuzz takes m-pinsir forever. On the other hand that same armaldo (and forretres to an even greater extent) can't spin vs m-sableye, which means volcarona and m-pinsir, the two usually greater bug threats are left with only half their hp. It's a huge problem given that ttar has many opportunities to set up rocks in that mu and then proceed to do some big damage with rock tomb. Muk tanks all-non +1 firium z volcarona sets which tyranitar can handle. Hydreigon experiences some trouble switching-in but everytime he does, he gets a free kill. Greninja not only revenge kills volcarona and m-pinsir, thanks to hp fire, he can very easily clean late game. There are two reasons why I was wavering to claim this matchup is very easy but instead of rather easy. The first one is that if you play carelessly, banded scizor can put mandibuzz in range of scarf heracross and m-pinsir by u-turning out of it albeit by taking rocky helmet recoil. It is litterally the best thing a bug team can do to you and frankly it shouldn't be much of a nuisance, especially if you set the rocks early. The second reason is that you're left with no switch-in to the very rare m-heracross and greninja can't even rk it.

Dark: slightly favorable: You're a very slight favorite vs most offensive dark variants. They do have very notable threats in m-tyranitar or m-absol (m-sharpedo is a lot easier to take on with mandibuzz), weavile and to a lesser extent bisharp but once tyranitar has been weakened by hydreigon's devastating drake, your greninja can sweep late game while you're bulletproof vs that thanks to alolan-muk. It's definitely not a piece of cake though as the aforementioned threats can prove troublesome. Vs the balance mirror matchup, try to hide your hydreigon set in order to z alolan muk at the opportune moment to open a door for greninja. You're in big trouble if you face blumenwitz's cm dazzling gleam m-sableye.

Dragon: slightly favorable: Another very even matchup. But this one differs quite heavily depending on the mega they chose. M-latias is no more than setup fodder for us while m-altaria is terribly difficult to deal with. Combined with kommo-o, they often overwhelm alolan muk and can tear us apart quite easily. Happily though, we have our own counterplay in greninja. He is just stellar in that matchup, ohkoing everything outside of the very rare dragalge, the even rarer goodra, and healthy m-latias or kyurem-b after stealth rocks. Keep him healthy though, as he needs all his hp to tank one e-speed from dragonite late game.

Electric: very difficult: I would argue this one is probably our worst matchup. This is almost solely due to one mon: zeraora against which we have no remotely good switch in. Try to make him take recoil damage from rocky helmet by sacking mandibuzz so that at least greninja can revenge kill him. Then in a dream world you set up with alolan muk, play wittily so that your iapapa berry is not knocked off, do not get a full para and sweep. That's wishful thinking but it's the best we can do.
Fairy: Strangely enough, the worst three matchups are following each other in alphabetical order. Diancie is a monstruous threat since a-muk is a very loose check to it since both diamond storm and earth power do around 50% damage to you; you're basically saved by your berry but more often than not have to rely on no crits and no drops. Fortunately poison jab has a hefty 30% chance of poisoning her. There are other threats like tapu bulu and azumarill who can together overwhelm mandibuzz on a good day, or bad day for you. The mimikyu teams are even more threatening, feel free to trade hydreigon for mimikyu's disguise when faced vs it. Hopefully, a a-muk sweep is much more foreseeable than vs electric since nothing takes well poison jab on a fairy team besides kelfki which is complete curse fodder.

Fighting: very difficult: It may seem that with a defensive core sporting two neutrality and one immunity to fighting, you're quite well prepared vs it. Well, unfortunately, not quite. Both keldeo and and especially kommo-o are threats to take into account. The two of them combined can easily dispatch alolan muk which is their only switch-in. You can try to scout for choice locked keldeo or make kommo-o waste his z-move with protect but sometimes your opponent uses substitute and you figure that you lose to belly drum salac berry kommo-o. Although these attackers are slightly less threatening than dragon's core, your counterplay is far more potent here. Despite this, you're more than happy to have extrasensory, allowing to dream of a late game sweep.

Fire: rather easy: Tyranitar is by far the mvp here: putting rocks i absolutely key. Once it's done, you can spam rock tomb and tear holes. Keep him healthy. Sableye ensures that torkoal can not set up his own rocks or spin but you can't prevent rotom-h from defogging, which is a bit of a shame. If volcanion is absent or out of the picture, which is manageable since he is 2hko by extrasensory after rocks, greninja can sweep with surf; although torkoal's sun hamper this a bit; hence the importance of tyranitar's sand. Fire teams have their chances though with charizard-x, infernape and victini, all of which can quickly overwhelm tyranitar if you play carelessly.

Flying: slightly favorable: In this matchup you're a slight favorite. For sure, a-muk, your check to charizard-y and thundurus-t is rather shaky and it's even worse vs m-aerodactyl. You do have your own tricks however as although greninja is initially kept at bay by mantine and celesteela, hydreigon pressures them to a great extent. Although they generally pack 2 defoggers, the constant need to remove the hazards can make them lose quite a lot of momentum. Vs offensive flying, their checks to a greninja sweep are even scarcer. In any case none the less, it's a very even matchup.

Ghost: rather easy: Mimikyu is a huge threat but pretty much the only one. Once his disguise is broken, hydreigon sweeps effortlessly. If you happen to trade him vs mimikyu well, it's m-sableye vs m-sableye... You love the metapod vs metapod battle in the anime, don't you?

Grass: very easy: An easy matchup. M-sableye shuts down their defensive core, hydreigon slowly breaks through while mandibuzz takes everything from tapu bulu and breloom as long as they don't crit their rock type attack. Although he needs to heavily predict or have its checks weakened, once again, greninja can also sweep having extrasensory for venusaur, ice beam for cradily and hp fire for ferrothorn. Tectonic rage celebi can be slightly annoying since it can bypass alolan-muk, his natural check. In the same vein, if he gets extremely lucky with glare paralysis or z-hyperbeams you at +2. Although this result in long matches, you're definitely on the sunny side of the torture.

Ground: slightly favorable: Try to lure and poison gastrodon with toxic. This is when having two toxic users can prove it handy as when the opponent sees that either one carries it, he may not expect another mon to have it. When this is done, or seismitoad is heavily weakened, greninja has two great attacks to spam in ice beam and surf, leaving little chance to your opponent. Beware of mamoswine and especially sand rush excadrill though as they can quickly get out of control.

Ice: rather easy: A rather good matchup for you. Like vs fire, tyranitar is stellar: setting rocks, disrupting the veils, and spamming rock tomb. Mamoswine and cloyster are big threats but the latter can find it difficult to set up and both can be reliably revenge killed by greninja which can sweep late game with hp fire.

Normal: slightly favorable: Normal teams tend to be more and more prepared to the dark matchup, which I personnaly take as a compliment and proof of this type respectability. Sableye shuts down chansey, so you won't have rocks on your side of the field. Restrain yourself from using will-o-wisp early game since it will most likely bounce back to you via ditto and porygon2. Mandibuzz is the bastion that should stay firm as diggersby unfortunately 2hkos it if he predicts correctly. If you can read his set well and avoid the swords dance variant, protect scounting can greatly alleviate this, leaving almost no settup opportunity for diggersby. Muk can somehow render porygon-z useless by forcing him to use breakneck blitz to do anything meaningful, thus leaving it unable to omniboost. Offensively, hydreigon very slowly but very surely whittles down normal's defensive core with taunt and roost.

Poison: very easy: How cab they break through m-sableye already? Ow, well, they can't. Even a nidoking lead can't 2hko you since you'll just knock off his life orb and then spam recover. Ah, and he can't even hope for a spd drop because of sheer force. If it wasn't enough, hydreigon excels here and once opposing alolan muk is dealt with, greninja can spam extrasensory and easily ko everything. I can think of very little ways for poison to try to balance this matchup and all of them are gimmicky or easily scoutable: life orb dazzling gleam nihilego, life orb/twinkle tackle gengar, destiny bond gengar,... . Probably the most one sided matchup in our favor. Feel free to add your own lures here.

Psychic: very easy: As expected, this matchup is very good for you. Hydreigon gets a kill every time it enters the field while also dealing efficiently with cm m slowbro. A-muk can easily setup and win. Sableye shuts down half their team: deoxys-s, m-gallade, defensive mew,... . Tyranitar can set up rocks and soft check victini together with mandibuzz and his job is eased by protect scouting. Their best mon vs you is jirachi which is a bit tedious to deal with. Since these teams are quite unpredictable, don't think you have won already otherwise you'll be as ridiculous as me vs Rejio xd.

Rock: rather easy: Their big threat is as expected m-diancie. Once you adequately dealt it, there's very little to stop greninja from sweeping except the very passive cradily which can be easily taken advantage of. Banded tyranitar is the other notable threat but with correct prediction and careful play, this one is a lot easier to deal with.

Steel: slightly favorable: Another episode of why you should use all the coverage you can on greninja. Hp fire does so much work, combined with surf to deal with heatran and scarf excadrill at a higher amount of hp. Mandibuzz deals with m-scizor although he can get overwhelmed if there's bisharp on the opposing team. A-muk soft checks jirachi and heatran while having a decent chance to sweep late game if knock off users are eliminated beforehand. M-sableye can get a tiny bit pressured by offensive heatran variants but it hard counters ferrothorn. It's not that important to set up your own rocks but it can sometimes be crucial to avoid your opponent's. It may be the only matchup where defog puts more use than toxic or u-turn. Despite this, mandibuzz is already pressured enough, it rarely sees opportunities to defog (especially in front of bisharp) while keeping himself healthy at the same time.

Water: rather difficult: It's difficult to give an overall opinion given the huge number of viable mons and archetypes on this type. Stall variants are probably the easiest to deal with thanks to mr stallbreaker hydreigon which can dispatch everything if you avoid toxic. A very slow but rather easy game. Vs balance teams, keldeo can be problematic, especially waterium z variants who can pressure alolan muk to enable their greninja sweep. Not to mention that they can also swap their movesets, greninja acting as a lure with groundium z and scarf keldeo sweeping late game with secret sword if you didn't foresee the sets beforehand. However, once again, hydreigon is very good at breaking their defensive core which gives you decent chances, albeit not completely equal. Vs offensive swift swim, mandibuzz is a very losse check to m-swampert, their biggest threat with keldeo. Although you do have your own tricks, this variant is a rather bad matchup for you despite being quite uncommon at high ladder.

proof of peak:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! Be sure to give me your thoughts, questions and advises!

Hi Samallmighty nice Dark team and nice RMT! Not many flaws at all however i have some things to suggest to you. ( Nice Ladder Elo as well)

First off , I can see you have came a long way with your Greninja set, and that's nice to see you have experimented with a lot of coverage moves. You mentioned that you dislike splitting your EVs and want to revenge kill Volcarona. The following set starts with Rock Slide over Surf. a +1 Volcarona is a big threat to Dark teams as it is almost always holding a Z-crystal whether it be Bugium Z of Firium Z. Surf only does 52% to 62% max to Volcarona after it has set up a Quiver Dance. Rock Slide on the other hand is a clean OHKO on it and some teams may not be expecting it thinking they live the attack Greninja goes for( If you wanna be even more accurate you can run Rock Tomb (95%) if you wish). Rock Slide also hits Mega Charizard Y ( another huge threat to your team) as Surf does almost nothing to it in the Sun , as well has Mantine ( greninja switch in on flying teams). Hidden Power Fire may be a surprise Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, however Ferrothorn easily survives it (66% - 78% and will go for Leech Seed and Protect in return, before pivoting into a free Heatran. Hidden Power Fire is also usually seen on Expert Belt or Life Orb Greninja sets, as they can freely switch up their moves and "bluff" Choice Scarf. To replace Hidden Power Fire I would run Gunk Shot, as it threaten's Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Mega Altaria, Azumarill, Alolan Ninetales etc, and also turning Greninja into a Poison-type able to resist Fairy moves such as Mega Diancie's Moonblast and Mimikyu's Play Rough and being able to resist something like Mega Gallade's Close Combat and successfully 2HKO and beat the aforementioned Pokemon. Gunk Shot also hits Clefable much harder (70%-83%) Although Extrasensory could be nice vs Fighting teams, Pokemon such as Mega Gallade take around 39% and don't get 2HKO'd. With Pokemon like Mega Sableye (almost 6-0s the standard Fighting on it own), and Defensive Mandibuzz, Extrasensory isn't vital U-Turn is also a move that will come in handy for easy pivoting without having to make a double switch of some sort. U-Turn allows you to safely bring in Pokemon such as your Hydreigon to threaten your opponent or Mega Sableye to throw out a Knock or Will-O. U-Turn also allows Greninja to throw off a STAB Bug move ( vs Psychic among others) and safely allow another Pokemon to take the hit. Lastly U-turn eases the mirror Dark Matchup as it can OHKO opposing Greninja and Mega Sharpedo and do almost 50% to SpD Tyranitar which is an expected switch in. With these 3 Physical moves being added you should now make your spread 252 Atk 4 SpA 252 Spe. This will increase the damage output of your physical moves . ( Deja vu lol )

Now that Greninja is out of the way, I would like to suggest some tweaked EV spreads.

Alolan Muk should be changed to 248 Hp 12 Def 248 SpD. This allows Alolan Muk to guaranteed survive Scarf Victini's V-Create after Stealth Rocks and OHKO it in return. (Just a very small tweak)

Mandibuzz should be changed to 248 Hp 168 Def 92 Spe. The reason being as Jolly Azumarill has gotten a lot more usage and this speed creep allows you to always knock it out with Foul Play after it tries to setup a Belly Drum and sweep your team. Without the change you can with Rocks up.

I enjoyed reading this RMT full of music references, good luck with the team!

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi Sam, solid RMT overall and congrats on your elo.

First things first, that Greninja set is not ideal if you are running Choice Scarf. Despite what you experienced, Gunk Shot is still far more superior compared to HP Fire and Extrasensory, allowing Greninja to be a win condition against Fairy Type teams. On the contrary to what you said about negative natures, the - natures in defenses hardly matters as Greninja is frail even with neutral defense natures and will get OHKOed regardless by most Pokemon. (The damage difference between negative and neutral damage is so low that it can be neglected honestly) Furthermore, applying your same logic here that Klefki is immune to Gunk Shot, Hidden Power Fire and Extrasensory will most likely get stopped because once they realize you are choice locked your opponent will also start play aggressively. Think it as when you use Extrasensory against a Poison-type team then they switch to Alolan Muk and you die to Pursuit. Even better they hard predict and directly go to Alolan Muk and you lose your Greninja without dealing any damage with it. Not having U-turn removes your probability of making aggressive switchins and provide momentum to your team, which is more important than checking a few Pokemon.

Additional note: If you want to keep this set, get another scarf user such as Hydreigon and make Greninja Expert Belt.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

I didn't mention Rock Slide here as you have a max Special Defense Tyranitar that can live up to +2 Bug Buzz and retaliate safely with any Rock attack, and most Volcarona carries Firium Z over Buginium Z so Tyranitar is enough as a check. However, you may consider running Rock Slide if
Buginium Z becomes more common and is an issue to handle.

Moving on, I'll suggest a small tweak on Muk Alola set which is running 248 Hp / 12 Def / 248 SpD spread. This spread lets Muk Alola live a V-create from a Scarf Victini after Stealth Rock damage and OHKO it back.

Next up let's take a look at to your Tyranitar. This Tyranitar is an interesting one for sure. The idea behind is presumably chipping everything off with Toxic and Sandstorm damage, but this set gets shut down by too many Pokemon that is available in the tier, mainly every Steel Pokemon out there ( Which is omnipresent in pretty much every type), any fast Taunt user, Fighting Type Pokemon, anything that carries Substitute, bulky Pokemon that has access to Recovery, Toxapex, and Gliscor. The issue with this set is that you don't have any follow up after reducing their speed with Rock Tomb, making this Tyranitar very passive. Considering the fact that you also run Toxic on your Mandibuzz, I will suggest some changes on this one too.

Fire Blast over Toxic: Reason for this is giving you a chance to handle some Steel-type Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor Mega which are quite painful to deal with normally. If your Sableye isn't mega, Ferrothorn will come freely against Tyranitar and set down hazards at will, use Leech Seed.
Rock Slide / Stone Edge over Rock Tomb: This is quite self-explanatory, you don't have any follow up STAB attacks after Rock Tomb so might as well just run a more powerful STAB. If you don't count on Edge's accuracy, Rock Slide will do the trick.
Thunder Wave over Protect: This is optional but definitively something you can use. Thunder Wave lets you spread paralysis on Choice Scarf users on switchins, or cripple set up Pokemon like DD Mega Altaria to give your team a chance to retaliate.

New Set

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast

No comment on your Mandibuzz set, its the standard set but I'd suggest you run a faster spread of 248 Hp / 168 Def / 92 Spe in order to check Jolly Azumarill safely since they are more common to find these days. You may consider running Defog as Sableye itself is unreliable as a sole hazard check.

No comment on Sableye as well, although you have 2 good defensive options that can cover up Dark's most crucial weaknesses. Considering that Fighting-type matchups are not popular, replacing Sableye with a more offensive mega might help you beat certain matchups easier. ( Even Fighting since that Sableye set cannot touch to Fighting at all) Considering your team does not have a physical Pokemon, considering on making this change might be a good consideration.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs

New importable: https://pokepast.es/4a202fdf67aae4d2

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot Splashbrutha and Perish song! I also must say that balance dark teams aren't that original as a whole, so sorry Splashbrutha if my post has similarities with your own rmt, I wasn't really planning to copy you xd! Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! Your advises are very wise as always! Let's answer to your suggestions. Small things first: yeah, the evs on a-muk should be changed, especially considering victini, together with jirachi and gallade, is one of the best assets psychic types have vs me. Just a mistake of my part, sorry for that. As for mandibuzz, I should have explained it in more details indeed. I didn't mention it because it was obvious to me but I think 16 speed evs is a small price to pay to be able to rk adamant azumarill at +6 and ko it with foul play. I've always been unwilling to fight in these speed creep wars, especially on a defensive pokemon, but the meta incites us to I believe. Sure, dropping some def evs has some notable consequences among which being more easily swept by excadrill, charizard-x, and more obscure threats like crawdaunt (which I actually do see from time to time given Vin Flint's rmts' high quality). There are even some situations where the speed increase is detrimental such as vs m-scizor as you want to be slower not only to be able to damage him after he has committed himself to swords dance and you want to roost after he u-turns/bug bites so that you don't take a lot more damage due to the momentary loss of the flying typing. Overall though I can say that I was lucky enough not to encounter too much jolly azumarills. Better not push my luck any longer for now. I've tested rock slide on greninja (and rock tomb as well because as you noticed I'm so obsessed by accuracy xd) and I find it quite useful overall. I think I just dropped it because I considered, maybe wrongly that volcarona and charizard-y were not as threatening as they seemed because as perish song mentioned, tyranitar and a-muk, tank both comfortably although one of them may drop if I anticipate wrongly the z-crystal on volcarona or charizard-y crits a fire blast on a-muk after rocks or gets two rather high rolls with focus blast on tyranitar. As Splashbrutha pointed out, surf does 52-62 to volcarona at +1, which is usually just enough since fire and especially bug teams experience quite a lot of trouble to spin away the hazards. I should retest it however as you pointed out extrasensory has very few assets. Maybe I wasn't clear enough but you actually cannot even attempt to sweep poison teams with greninja when alolan-muk is still alive, the thing is that, once and if you succeeded in eliminating him (which is rather manageable with hydreigon), you can actually sweep. The main thing though is that poison matchup is already almost auto-win, so extrasensory is just overkill there. Vs fighing I must say that on the paper, extrasensory is really not as nice as I experienced, being easily tanked by cobalion and m-gallade while kommo-o takes more damage from ice beam and breloom and infernape can just mach punch before I'm transformed into a psychic type. Yes, quite frankly, extrasensory is suboptimal at best and should be replaced. U-turn's utility is quite nice overall, I should retest it as well to settle my opinion on the subject. As for gunk shot, you're right splashbrutha, I forgot one big threat that gunk shot covers after disguise has been broken and some prior damage: mimikyu. Not much more to say, although it makes me a bit sad to have my originality meter falling even further, it is definitely the way to go :-) ! Running a different tyranitar set is definitively an option (although this one is not as original as you think perish song xd). Stone edge and rock slide are superior to rock tomb, there's pretty much no argue about that, well at least for non-paranoiac/unlucky people like me ^^! The typical fire coverage makes a lot of sense, especially if greninja drops hp fire. I tested it in earlier versions of this team and didn't keep it as tyranitar already has something better vs ice and bug types while being not as efficient as you'd think vs grass and steel (m-venusaur and cradily taking fire blast easily while heatran usually beats tyranitar 1v1 and even better so with flash fire activated). Still it's very much viable of course. Another coverage that makes sense is earthquake, giving slightly more chances in the dreaded electric matchup, albeit not changing the overall trend of this desperate fight very much. With mandibuzz already running toxic, it makes sense to have a different status with tyranitar. However, the only really beneficiary of paralysis support would be hydreigon as greninja already outspeeds pretty much the whole meta while the rest of the team is too painfully slow to take advantage of it. Also, the offensive teams against which I struggle the most are fighting (vs which I can't really tank any attack with tyranitar), electric (all of which are immune to t-wave), fairy (vs which this hydreigon is usually not more than a sack, even vs paralysed mons given that fairy types resist one of his stab and are immune to the other one) and water (vs which swampert come in effortlessly fearing nothing from ttar and being immune to t-wave). The set you suggest is very much viable but I'm not 100% sure that it's the best suited for this particular team. The last suggestion from Perish Song was rather unexpected I must say. M-sharpedo is for sure an awesome threat, no argue about that but I frankly believe m-sableye is one of the two (if not the) most valuable mon in this team. I don't think I understood you perfectly, and I shouldn't put too much emphasis on praising such a hated mon, but just to clarify, m-sableye is by far my most important team meber vs fighting teams, being immune to their stab while nothing really appreciated being burnt and knocked off on a fighting team. Outside of fighting teams, m-sableye wall high deeds include countering m-gallade, infernape, keldeo, terrakion, gengar, and the list goes on. But more importantly it shuts down many defensive pokémons and wins both the hazard and the status war, levering whole matchups on his own. Without him, armaldo can spin whenever wherever while setting his own rocks usually forever given how mandibuzz will be pressured to deal with m-pinsir, banded scizor and heracross resulting in the bug matchup which was very easy to turn to very difficult. Without m-sableye, the defensive poison core will be rather difficult to smother while nidoking will get a kill each time he enters the field with a tiny bit of prediction. I have already detailed what m-sableye does in every matchup, and quite frankly I do not consider to drop it even for a second because I kinda love this sort of little ugly duck. M-sharpedo on the other hand doesn't really pull his weight on any of my difficult matchups in my opinion. Not having physical attackers is not a real problem to me since chansey, the ultimate special sponge, is helpless vs... well m-sableye while being slowly whittled down by hydreigon. Not to mention that vs normal, sharpedo is stop cold by both p2 and staraptor. Of course, it is probably the best mega-mon for hyper offense dark but, according to me, it needs quite a lot of support to function, and that would require to change pretty much the whole team: making a choice band set for ttar, replacing a-muk by bisharp and mandibuzz by lead krookodile. It's also a very possible option and it has its own merits but it's a very different team. Oh, by the way, I should have made another poll as for what type you want next, but you can always tell me xd! Thank you again for all your suggestions and take care friends!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)