Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot

I was physical attacker heavy with a focus on Dragon Dancing Gyarados and Haxorus. Played some accuracy games to force a switch but got three free turns of set-up against his mons. 2HKO a Skarmory and was expecting a sweep when Houndoom showed up. Figured it had a Mega Stone so I went for the kill and got hit with a Counter.

Didn't know Houndoom also had Destiny Bond and was expecting a Willowisp on my remaining Haxorus so I went for a Façade (my JIC move) and got slapped with DB.

I was physical attacker heavy with a focus on Dragon Dancing Gyarados and Haxorus. Played some accuracy games to force a switch but got three free turns of set-up against his mons. 2HKO a Skarmory and was expecting a sweep when Houndoom showed up. Figured it had a Mega Stone so I went for the kill and got hit with a Counter.

Didn't know Houndoom also had Destiny Bond and was expecting a Willowisp on my remaining Haxorus so I went for a Façade (my JIC move) and got slapped with DB.
I see. Houndoom would need the Speed EVs to pull off Destiny Bond.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so a guy just lead with this against me...

Stoutland @ ??? (Silk Scarf maybe?)
Scrappy (I hope it was anyway)
Adamant/Jolly
252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Protect
- Last Resort

Despite me leading with Ferro he kept with it and took a lot of damage from Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet while I set up. I get that Stout has Scrappy + STAB, and this Last Resort strategy isn't new but man it just doesn't work. Maybe he was hoping for a switch? I guess Stout can have Superpower or Fire Fang or something to threaten Ferro out...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, Last Resort would have even less purpose as a shitty gimmick the more moves it has. Superpower would be counterproductive, since Last Resort requires you to stay in and you would be stuck with the speed drop. Good for you for getting a free setup.

Braixen eviolite
Blaze/Magician
Bold Nature
252 HP/252 Def/ 4 SpD
-Will-o-Wisp
-Protect
-Wish
-Flamethrower

This thing stalled me to death. I didn't know it was defensive so I lead off with my Mamoswine as my opponent lead off with their Braixen. Expecting to kill it with one EQ, I attacked because it seemed like the most logical option at the time. The Braixen lived with about 10-20% and will-o-wisp'd me. I was going to kill it with an earthquake but I miss clicked and hit Stealth Rocks instead of EQ and thus the stall began. My opponent used Wish, and stalled my Mamo to death with Wish/Protect. The reason I didn't switch out was because I wasn't sure I could kill it with my Scarfed Terrakion (EQ wouldn't have killed at 75%, and Rock Slide wasn't completely reliable), or a EQ from my Mega-Saur.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just ran into my first ever protean Kecleon. It lead against my Rotom and faked me out, I had no idea what to expect so I just switched to Kang hoping to get an easy set up but he set up his own PuP then went to Sucker Punch me to death. I was surprised how hard it hit actually, those protean boosts stack pretty well... No idea what his fourth move was but I reckon the set was probably something like:

Kecleon @ ???
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Def
- Fake Out
- Power-up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak

The rest of his team was Choice Band Azu and Focus Sash Zoroark. I managed to take out his Azu with Volt Switch so he just had Zoro against my healthy Dragonite and about ~40% Rotom. I hit him with Outrage and left him on 1hp but his second Night Daze got the accuracy drop and I missed Outrage so he got the 3hko and then took out Rotom :(

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Skarmory @ Red Card
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- presumably Roost and Brave Bird

I beat this because I had a Rotom-H at full but this is an interesting use of hazards if the conditions are right. I switched in Rotom with rocks up, T-bolted to activate Sturdy, and activated Red Card. He Red Carded and Whirlwinded, and bam! Rotom is down to 50%. Thankfully I decided against bringing Talonflame to that match but this strat would be evil against Charizard Y and Talonflame. Skarm can come on things it walls, set up rocks, and shuffle. Obviously not OP on its own but Red Card forces a switchout and creates an advantageous situation for it.

I know this thread is a month old, but I can't even.

Someone used a special sweeper Shieldon (no, not Bastiodon) against me in triples, and actually won with it. I had a weakened Gogoat and Cacturne left (~20% each). Shieldon finished off Cacturne with Ice Beam, and Gogoat with Fire Blast. I was very surprised that it managed to outspeed both of my Pokémon, but doing the calculations:

4 Spe Adamant Cacturne: 76 Speed
4 Spe Adamant Gogoat: 89 Speed
252 Spe Timid Shieldon: 90 Speed

Damnit crazy Japanese players. Battle video: GKCG-WWWW-WWW7-YDL7

(I'm not suggesting anyone seriously run this, but it made my day, and hopefully the Shieldon user's day too!)

Set Name: Gotta Go fast!
Mega Blaziken
Adamant?
Flame Charge
Sword Dance
?
?

I think I led with the wrong pokemon, expecting him to NOT lead with his mega. I switched and it was all a blur from there as his Blaziken went ham on my team.

This is actually a set I use on wifi but given the reactions from my opponents, I wouldn't be surprised if they posted it in this thread.

Anti Lead Lopunny
Lopunny Leftovers
Jolly 252 HP/ 252 Spd / 4 Def
Power up Punch
Substitute
Baton Pass
Encore

This thing is surprising good as a main stop to lead pokemon who like to set up. Main idea is to sub first and encore into any non attacking move. Sub can also scout. I originally was inspired by Pyrotoz but decided to axe Copycat for PP-Punch. Both sets can be effective.

Here's a pretty good video of it in use, though my opponent decided not to set up. F2FG-WWWW-WWW7-KQJX

And yes, at one point that was a choice banded shaking with a +1 boost added...

Last edited:
I guess talonflame using anything besides Brave Bird could be considered weird but I ran into this last night:
Talonflame Rocky Helmet
EVs: ??? probably something bulky
Brave Bird
Bulk Up
Roost
Toxic

Toxic stalled out my usual counter Mandibuzz and I couldn't do enough damage to him with foul play thanks to Bulk Up

On the PS XY Battle Spot Singles Metagame:

Ambipom @ ?
Ability: Almost certainly Technician
EVs: Probably high attack
Fake Out
Last Resort
That's it.

Interesting gimmick here, 140 BP move with no downsides, apart from only being able to use that move in this case. So, it used Fake Out on my Mega Kangaskhan, then Last Resort. It got 2HKO'd by Power-up Punch and Sucker Punch. Then I let my Kangaskhan be KO'd by his Talonflame, but I still ended up winning.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ran into a Curse Venusaur today, the only three moves used were Curse, Earthquake, and Synthesis. I think it's a pretty safe guess that the last move was Power Whip which he did not use, since I fought it with Goodra and he probably guessed I had Sap Sipper (I did). Goodra seemed an alright counter to it, even a +2 (or 3?) Earthquake only did about 1/3. The problem was I couldn't really do much back either, he could PP stall me out of Dragon Pulses. I only beat it because I got a crit with Flamethrower and got a burn. Although when you use a set like this, I guess you gotta be prepared for an eventual crit.

Not sure how great this set is, it seems really reliant on team match-up. Pretty much all Flying-types can beat it, since they are immune to Earthquake and resist Power Whip.

Well, this just happened

Machoke eviolite
EVs: 252HP/252Attack (I assume)
Nature: err... Impish? Either that or Adamant
Ability: No Guard
Dynamic punch
Protect
Knock Off
?
Yeah, this managed to screw me over pretty badly, first off it protected on the Fake Out on my Ambipom, then used Dynamicpunch, OHKOing Ambi. Then when I switched in Aegi, it protected again. Then it used Knock Off on my Blade Aegi, not quite OHKOing it but doing around 85%. Sadly I did not have WP Aegi otherwise I would of killed it with Shadow Sneak. Then I FINALLY RKd it with Keldeo... Then he switched in Gyarados and I called it a night.
Moral of the story: Fuck Eviolite.

I found this weird Porygon-Z being used:

Porygon-Z @ Muscle Band
EVS: ? / ? / ?
Nature: ?
Ability: Download
-Hyper Beam
-Return
-?
-?

This Porygon-Z set had made me laugh when I saw Return, but then i was taken aback when after weakening with. Return, KO'd with Hyper Beam. I managed to defeat the Porygon-Z with Clefable however, and went ahead and swept his team. It had Ko'd my Honchkrow and Ampharos-Mega

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I found this weird Porygon-Z being used:

Porygon-Z @ Muscle Band
EVS: ? / ? / ?
Nature: ?
Ability: Download
-Hyper Beam
-Return
-?
-?

This Porygon-Z set had made me laugh when I saw Return, but then i was taken aback when after weakening with. Return, KO'd with Hyper Beam. I managed to defeat the Porygon-Z with Clefable however, and went ahead and swept his team. It had Ko'd my Honchkrow and Ampharos-Mega
I think if it was an Adaptability set it would make way more sense. Adaptability Return is actually a decent lure, it's surprisingly powerful attack that can take special walls by surprise. I don't think Download is as reliable. If you're using it to kill special walls then you are guaranteed to get the Attack boost, but it does mean you have to switch it in on the wall.

Hulavuta

Apologies for the double post~

I just ran into the absolute most BS set ever. Mold Breaker Horn Drill Excadrill, presumably with Choice Scarf. It is such garbage, Mold Breaker means that it even works on Pokemon with Sturdy, like Skarmory. Talk about a terrible strategy, and I lost to it too.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Apologies for the double post~

I just ran into the absolute most BS set ever. Mold Breaker Horn Drill Excadrill, presumably with Choice Scarf. It is such garbage, Mold Breaker means that it even works on Pokemon with Sturdy, like Skarmory. Talk about a terrible strategy, and I lost to it too.
Haha oh man that's rough! I bet he had Fissure on the same set to hit ghosts, Mold Breaker also ignores levitate

Unless this is the norm for Doubles Latias, then this is the weirdest Latias set I've ever seen in BattleSpot(Doubles)
-Attract
-ThunderWave
-IceBeam
-?
IceBeam and ThunderWave I understand, but Attract just caught be sooo off-guard.
He also had a HealPulse Gallade, which was pretty interesting too.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
An interesting set I saw in doubles was WP Cresselia. The interesting thing about it was the way in which my opponent went about activating WP. He had fling on his tornadus and he flung a Kee Berry (I think, looked it up and it sounded right) at Cress which since fling is a dark type activated weakness policy and did minimal damage. It also raised cress's defense from the berry by one stage. I didn't have to much trouble beating it though because I was using greninja which obliterated it with dark pulse. If my opponent played it a little better it probably could of done some work. Needless to say I found it a really interesting concept.
Cresselia WeaKness Policy
Didn't actually get a chance to do anything so I don't know moves or evs

Tornadus @ Kee Berry
Evs, possibly a minus attack nature max speed
Ability: Prankster
-Fling

Maybe not necessarily cress as the weakness policy user but another poke might be a cool strategy. Activating weakness policy while taking minimal damage...pretty sweet.

Edit: sorry didn't mean to tag you weakness...smogon sort of just did it for me when I was adding and item >.>

Charizard @ Charizardite Y (So it was a Mega Charizard Y... I just hate its model so here's a sprite)
Blaze > Drought
Timid Nature
252SpeAtt/252Speed (Though I think this guy doesn't know what Evs are...)
Heat Wave
Solar Beam
Dragon Rage
Filler (Probs Air Slash XD)
I'll give you 5 seconds to find out what's wrong with this.
It might be breaking the rules, but this is so stupid I couldn't help but share it.

Apologies for the double post... But it's not really one XD

Gligar @ Eviolite (Knocked it off with muh shiny Machamp)
Immunity? (Hoping it was)
Bold Nature
252HP/252Def
Toxic
Roost
Knock Off
GUILOTINE
THAT CERTAINLY CAUGHT MAWILE OFF GUARD
Ahem.. The guy also had a Marshstomp.

Marshstomp @ Focus Sash?
Torrent
Bold Nature
252HP/252Attack
Mirror Coat
Knock Off
Earthquake?
Waterfall?
Okay, it's the Mirror Coat that caught me off guard. And he was spamming it. Don't know why when I had a WISH PROTECT VAPOREON THAT HAD POISIONED IT ALREADY... What.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Today I learned Crawdaunt can use FEAR. Not a single bloody thing I could do against it when it's the last mon and I didn't use Kanga or anything that could disable the sash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)