Status
Not open for further replies.

SFG

Snom is Fucking Great
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Approved by tjdaas

Logo by LifeisDANK

World Cup of Pokémon 2019: DPP OU Discussion

Hi everyone, and welcome to this WCoP's discussion thread for the fourth generation! With the first round coming to an end, now is the best time to discuss the teams and trends we have noticed in the tournament so far!

Players list

August

Byronthewell/Panamaxis

Christos21

DeepBlueC

Fakes/Snofall

Groudon

Honor

Hyogafodex

Lycans/Jhonx

Malekith

Philip7086

Somalia

Texas Cloverleaf

TonyFlygon/ Kushalos

Tsunami

Vay

Useful links

Introduction | Round 1 | Replays thread | Usages stats

Hot teams/sets

by Excal and DeepBlueC
by Christos21
by Christos21
by Jhonx
by Jhonx

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been asked not to reveal the teams but shout-out to the legendary CursePert, once I saw Gliscor revealed vs Christos I saw that CursePert had a path to sweep if I took out Skarm and my switches/attacks from that point aimed to facilitate that, in spite of the Tbolt Latias tech not paying off.

I didn't run anything too fancy this WCOP. However, I think the team I used for WCOP qualifiers was something that was not a part of my usual style, so I'll share the team. The replay can be found here:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-442475

This is the import:
https://pokepast.es/57ce43f9a90b248a

Essentially this team is just lay down as many hazards as possible and then spin block with Rotom.
1) Lum on Skarm is for Machamp + Roserade Leads. The evs help Skarm live a Hydro Pump and Aqua Jet from Empoleon.
2) Toxic on Flygon is mostly for Hippo + Gliscor, but I suppose it also helps with Bold Zapdos that doesn't have HP Ice. Ebelt is nice to bluff the mixed set because LO usually gives it away. I feel the rest of the moves are self explanatory.
3) The TTar set is just a variant of the Tyraniboah one but more apt for this meta. The Tyraniboah set has more SpA evs, but given that there's a lot of Spdef Jirachi / Spdef Hippo in our meta, I felt that investment in Phys attk would be better. I think Focus Punch + Ice Beam punish both variants of Hippowdon when toxic'd. Crunch is necessary to take on boosting Latias. I went with -def over a -speed nature since you want to outspeed Clefable so as to sub before it uses Twave / Knock Off.
4) Gyarados is just too good in this meta. There's a rise in offensive TR Zong because a lot of offensive teams are weak to it, which is one reason for the rise in Swampert usage. Gyarados fits in on offensive teams as an answer to this. I've started using Ice Fang on Gyara to better deal with Dragonite / Breloom / Latias (although not 100% reliable as you can see from the replay). It also helps avoiding a 50/50 with bounce since your opp can switch the bounce-weak mon to Magnezone / TTar / Jirachi. Stone Edge is also just too unreliable, and since this was a high-stakes game for Asia, it wasn't worth the risk.
5) Lucario does what it does. I usually go for Jolly, but since its Bullet Punch is weak in general, Adamant helps give it that extra bit of power.
6) Rotom is just my valuable spinblocker to prevent the effort of laying down hazards go to vain. I didn't need HP Ice on this since I have plenty of other answers to beat Dragons / lure Gliscors.

This team was mostly built by Excal and Pkel SweeTforU , and I just made a few tweaks to their original builds, so if you have more questions, they'd be the best people to answer.

Thanks for creating this thread.

DeepBlueC discussed this team more concisely and eloquently than I ever could, but since I was tagged I figured I might add some stuff :)

click here for import

Inspired by some SkarmLuc Spikes-stacking teams made by Pkel SweeTforU, I sought to create one in my style; above is the link to the original draft of these 6. Since Lucario is such a monster in endgame scenarios, I tried to create a really offensive team designed to both deal as much damage and simultaneously support an endgame Lucario clean. With techs like Hidden Power Ice Expert Belt Flygon to remove Gliscor, and Pursuit + Dark Pulse Tyranitar to trap multiple different variants of Rotom, these surprises lure in common Lucario checks; not to mention that DD Gyara and Lead Skarm are incredibly good partners as well. I didn't quite feel that this team ended up where I wanted it to (the Ttar set and some other stuff could have definitely been improved), so I put it on the backburner for a bit and DeepBlueC's techs to the build drastically improved some bad matchups (like vs Hippowdon and Suicune for example) and I really like where it ended up. Versus someone who was going to predictably bring stallbreaking measures and some balance, DeepBlueC's revised version of this build had a great matchup and performed really well. I think the replay is exemplary as DeepBlueC tightly pilots the build and uses it incredibly optimally.

Like DeepBlueC mentioned, this build was really standard but got the job done. However, the two notable features (or "hot sets") of this build are the Special Attacking SRPert and the Specially Based MixApe with Fire Blast, Close Combat, Grass Knot, and Vacuum Wave. Where this build would normally struggle vs. Pokemon like Skarmory, Swampert, etc, these two sets swung those matchups in the exact opposite direction. In fact, Christos liked many of the PertSkarm balances with Pokemon like Roserade and Lucario in the back, so Grass Knot Infernape was a natural pick, which in the battle proved to be a strong choice. While that Infernape set is checked pretty well by Latias and Dragonite, the support from the OTRZong + CBTar + SpAPert with bulk allowed it to fit really well here.

I'm not participating in WCoP this year, but it was a pleasure to help out such an inspiring DPP player. I certainly got a lot of inspiration from DeepBlueC's unique style and approach to the game, and it was a lot of fun :)

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I believe that a significant part of my failure in this WCoP lies on the teams I used or/and on the matchups I had with them. This year, I wasn't able to spend as much time as I'd like to in my preparation because the WCoP coincided with some very important exams of mine. While I didn't play unprepared, I feel I could had done much better. So, here are the chronicles of a disaster:
Another WCoP game vs DeepBlueC, this is slowly becoming a classic ! In the past, I used to consider DBC a player who mostly preferred very bulky builds. However, after observing his team choices in this SPL, I noticed that he now tends to use offensive builds much more than he used to. The cores he seemed to like the most in SPL were : Tyranitar + Magnezone + Gengar, Magnezone + Dragonite + Latias and Breloom + Suicune + Jirachi. Thus, I decided to go with a team that would contain countermeasures for all those pokemon and that would also have a couple of tools against bulkier builds. The team I used was built by Astamatitos , so I wouldn't like to share it myself; maybe he can provide the importable. During the tests we did, we found very few important weaknesses and Infernape was probably the biggest one, especially the Mixed set with Grass Knot. However, we decided not to change anything because, other than that, the team was quite solid, I felt very comfortable using it and DBC's usage stats didn't suggest that he would use an Infernape build. In hindsight, this was obviously a mistake as underestimating the threat of Infernape is always very dangerous in DPP. Tragic irony, reading Excal's post made me actually realize that my own habits provoked DBC to use that Infernape...

The team I used: https://pokepast.es/61b2bba5dbc069fc
Texas' usage stats indicate that he mostly likes offensive builds and that he often uses pokemon weak to hazards. In fact, something that really stood out to me was that the #1 pokemon in his usage stats is... Infernape, often paired with Tyranitar. With that in mind, some kind of hazard + protect spam featuring Nidoqueen seemed like a good choice for this game. Using Torment Heatran was also Astamatitos' suggestion, as it is a pokemon that can fully take advantage of the hazards spread. We also considered a standard NidoClef stall with Rotom, but I finally went with the Torment Heatran because I liked the surprise factor of the build and having a more clear-cut wincon in Heatran. Don't get me wrong, this is actually the opposite of an innovative build, but it's also a build not really used much nowadays and, therefore, it can catch some players off-guard. As I already mentioned in my post in the WCoP Round 1 thread, we initially had Haze instead of HP Electric on Milotic, but it had proven to be useless more often than not. Even more so, without Clefable/Blissey and Rotom, Starmie was proving to be quite annoying to face: Tyranitar was receiving too much pressure to remove it, its Water + BoltBeam coverage was threatening all my pokemon and could, of course, remove my hazards at any given moment. So, I decided to use HP Electric in order to have an extra tool against it. However, removing Haze made my team much weaker to set up sweepers like Suicune and... CursePert. I don't know, maybe I could had removed Ice Beam instead, but one thing is for sure: I am never running Haze-less Milotic again; after playing so well, losing the game in that way hurt a lot. I think this clip sums up the endgame pretty well:

The team I used: https://pokepast.es/1bccd395f86b92f0
Preparing for this game was very hard, because there was practically no public info for Lycans. I had a look in all the four teams I found using the replay scouter and decided that I wanted to use a build that could do well against bulky offensive and purely offensive builds. The team I used was built by me and should be used with a very aggressive approach to the game, in order to take advantage of the excellent offensive synergy between Magnezone, Tyranitar, Infernape and Flygon. However, things went wrong once again. I misplayed in Turn 1 by clicking SR instead of directly switching out and ended up losing my Azelf to a U-Turn by Lycans' CB Azelf. By the way, my Azelf set was an alteration of the set used by Jimmy during the first week of SPL, forgoing Psychic for U-Turn. I regret using it now, as I don't think that the offensive pressure it offers is worth the consistency drop. Having to play with a pokemon less following Turn 1 and without SR made things quite difficult for me and as much as I tried to turn it around, the boat had sailed. This time, the clip is an allegory to Turn 1:

I would like to thank Astamatitos , amber lamps and dream for their support during the tournament, helping me out in every possible way.
There is only me to blame for this year's failure.

Hey, Im a DPP'er of LA (Im sub btw), when WCOP ends I will share some stuff I built to help Lycans, if possible add me to the list up

Last edited:
Well, since WCOP ended, I will share the stuff I built in general during the tour period, none of these teams were used since Lycans used BKC teams, but we prepped some stuff, Im not a big builder or good, but this is the best that worked for me during testing with some friends, also, I lost big part of the teams since my old PC died, but I did rescue some and edited them to make em' better.

CB Crobat Offense - Jhonx (Click image for importable)

This was the only idea Lycans had to use agaisnt Texas after see the scout, and CB Crobat its very nice lately, even when steels can switch in, CB Brave Bird doing 33-40% to Heatran or 30-35% to Jirachi its amazing, and with hazzards it can do much more, this HO was based in the core Crobat + Zone, giving good coverage as Crobat can switch in against Breloom and Magnezone traps steels for Crobat, Flygon + Dragonite here to make the team something like DragMag, Dragonite can sweep many teams when Steel is gone, while Flygon acts as speed control agaisnt set up users (if they can setup...), Metagross here to set up rocks and Jirachi check, works as switch to Latias trapped in Dragon Move and Explosion always can take something fat to keep offensive pressure, usually Explosion is used against Zapdos or Swampert, finally Starmie act as spinner and offensive set to have good MU vs opposing HO, this team needed a spinner due the Stealth Rocks weakness.

Milotic Sand Balance + Dual Trick

Well, this is a team built around Milotic + Roserade, its solid for my taste and for what I've been playing, sadly Gengar is a big threat so you can change Tyranitar berry to Chople Berry to solve that issue, This is pretty simple, set up Toxic Spikes, and take advantage of that, Milotic fast offensive is my fav, it can kill many stuff that defensive dont, like Loom, Gyarados, Gengar, and the list goes far. Latias here to make offensive pressure and Sleep Absorb, Tyranitar set up rocks and Fire Blast for Steels mainly Skarmory / Metagross, Jirachi Scarf as speed control with trick to annoy Stall teams, and Gliscor to tank Physical Dragons, Ground Inmunity, and Taunt walls, making easier the toxic spikes effect.

And here my builder to reward my lose of teams, so sorry guys about that x_x
https://pokepast.es/079f80010cc203cc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to shoutout Raichy Vileman and Haru for helping me building and testing, thnx bros 4 everything

Last edited:
Anyone is welcome to suggest suspects. However, speaking for myself and not the council (though I'm fairly certain they'd agree), I'm not a huge fan of the Manaphy idea, and I'm even less of a fan of the Mew idea. If someone feels strongly that these Pokemon would improve the tier without turning it on its head (which was the point of the Latias test, not to open the floodgates for constant testing of Salamence or Latios or whatever) then I would suggest making a thread with detailed arguments regarding its potential metagame impact so that it can be discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)