is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I need another story
Something to get off my chest
My life gets kinda boring
Need something that I can confess

- Secrets

introduction

Happy new year everyone! :]

Hi, my name's Tokyo Tom. I'd like to think I've been in competitive battling for a long enough time to know what's going on, kinda. I started playing right when B&W came out; although I'd never played the games, 5th Gen stuck with me for a long time.

I made tons of teams over my three years of PO, in all different tiers and Gens, achieved a bit of ladder success, but looking back, the majority of them were absolutely terrible, and I usually just ended up gravitating back to BW2 OU. Once I started to actually figure out teambuilding, I always wanted to incorporate lesser-used 'Mons into OU teams to see how they did. This team was the result of an idea about using Weavile.

I peaked at #5 on PO with this team, I realize after Showdown + XY the BW2 ladder kinda died down a bit, but it's still an achievement I'm pretty proud of :]

There really isn't a reason why I chose this album tbh, but it has a fresh feel to it, as does this team (I'm just rambling at this point .-.)

the team at a glance

yeah, what I would've given for there to be a 7th slot for Sash Froslass or Terrak :'(

a closer look

Keldeo-Resolute @
***Secrets
Ability: Justified
EVs: 212 Spd / 44 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Psychic]

Description:
Keldeo is one of the defining 'Mons of the BW2 OU metagame. Its ridiculous power and coverage in its STAB combo allow it to threaten tons of different 'Mons in the tier that most offensive Water Pokemon could only dream about, like Ferrothorn and Blissey. Furthermore, its checks and counters are so few that they can all be taken down with proper team support - which is what makes the EBelt Keldeo + 'Loom + Ttar core so easy to use.

Then again, this team isn't about that core, and this isn't the average Keldeo set (at least, to my knowledge .-.). I'd been running the standard HP Bug Keldeo for a long time, and when I built this team, this Keldeo was no exception. I did find that I was being destroyed by the semi-rare Toxicroak however, and seeing that my team was sufficiently prepared for Psychic types anyway, I chose to forgo HP Bug for HP Psychic. Although this tragically made me drop a Speed IV, HP Psychic allows an OHKO on any variant of Toxicroak, a common switch-in to Keldeo if the opposing team packs it, and also lets me put the hurt on Amoonguss and 'Cruel a little more on the switch, which is very handy (it can even 2HKO offensive or Phys. Defensive variants of Amoonguss). One last perk about HP Psychic is it lets me put the hurt on powerful Fighting types like Conkeldurr without resorting to Hydro Pump's shaky accuracy, which has lost me (and everyone else, I'm sure) games before.

I had previously considered a Life Orb to guarantee the OHKO on Garchomp and the 2HKO on 'Cruel (the latter requires Rocks), but the residual was a turn-off since I rely on Keldeo to switch into some dangerous attacks like SpDef 'Tran's Lava Plume, which would essentially make me lose 28% health each turn, factoring in Sand damage. Alternatively, a friend suggested CM + Lum Keldeo with Surf | Sword | CM | HP Ghost, which I am testing atm, as it donks both Rain and Sand (Keldeo's common rain / sand checks in 'Cruel and Jellicent can't really touch it), as well as giving me a solid win-con against stall.

In terms of synergy, Keldeo offers another Fire resistance (handy as half my team is weak to fire). It smashes Heatran, which helps Rachi spam Iron Heads, and also checks SD Scizor after a bit of residual damage if 'Chomp is down. Keldeo also gives me more opportunities to double into Weavile or 'Gar, luring in all kinds of 'Mons from Slowbro to Lati@s.

EVs:
Since I had to run 30 Speed IVs, I just dropped down to outspeeding max Garchomp (no one else drops down, so speed creep wasn't necessary). The good thing about HP Psychic's IVs opposed to HP Bug is it lets me get the lowest point on Attack, while allowing me to get the IVs in my defenses back. Sp. Atk is maxed for obvious reasons, and I threw the rest into HP.

Weavile @
***Made For You
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 Spd / 32 HP / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Description:
Weavile is very underrated in OU. Most players resort to Ttar as the premier Pursuit user (which I don't disagree with, I've been using CB 'Tar for a long time now), but it tends to be threatened by the things it's supposed to beat, whether it be Focus Blast or Hydro Pump or a Specs DMeteor. Weavile can't exactly switch into those things either, but it outspeeds every non-scarfed 'Mon it's supposed to trap, without having to resort to using a scarf itself. Due to Weavile's notorious Ice Shard, I can also play mind games with 'Mons like Salamence or L-T, which usually ends up in me Pursuiting them, which gives 'Rachi, 'Chomp, and co. an easier time next time they come in.

Weavile doesn't have much to offer in terms of synergy besides a handy Psychic immunity, although I'm usually too paranoid to switch it directly into 'Mons like Alakazam anyway. Weavile usually comes in on double switches or after a KO for the RK.

EVs:
Honestly, I've never found the speed tie with opposing Weavile to be very useful, since I have Keldeo, and to an extent Jirachi, to handle opposing Weavile (rare sights in OU anyway unfortunately :/). I drop down to beating base 120s like Alakazam with a little creep, honestly the fastest Weavile needs to go anyway. The speed Weavile offers helps ease prediction a lot with Pursuit, one of its main selling points over Ttar. There are some EVs to get the LO number - this, coupled with the 4 Sp. Def, allows me to survive a LO Hydro Pump from Starmie if the need ever arises. Finally, attack is maximized - sadly, Weavile's damage output isn't too high, but Night Slash helps a lot when everyone predicts the Pursuit.

Jirachi @
***All The Right Moves
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Description:
Jirachi is arguably one of the best candidates for a Scarf in OU. Its Steel typing makes it a great pivot, while its access to U-Turn allows it to maintain momentum, something that other scarfers like Garchomp could only dream of. Iron Head provides a quick, haxy way out of tight situations, and also allows me to prevent leads like Aerodactyl, Froslass, Terrak, Tyranitar, and Mamoswine from setting up SR or Spikes 60% of the time. Ice Punch handles Dragons nicely (and I must shamefully say, the 20% freeze chance can be clutch at times), and Zen Headbutt offers nice coverage on Gyarados, Volc, and others, letting 'Rachi RK better (Fire Punch is too exploitable imo). Zen Headbutt also 2HKOs 'Mons like Tentacruel, Conk and most Amoonguss, and swiftly OHKOs Toxicroak, although the 90% acc is very annoying at times. It also comes with a neat 40% flinch chance, and is my strongest attack on Heatran and Washtom, letting me finish off extremely weakened ones (and in Washtom's case, do upwards of 35%, which is pretty cool).

Synergy-wise, 'Rachi takes Dragon moves for the rest of the team, being able to sponge a couple Outrages and/or DMeteors, which is often all I need. It offers a key Psychic resistance, and Grass and Ice resistances, letting me switch it in relatively well from Keldeo or Garchomp against opposing Starmie or Celebi, of course after scouting for TWave from the latter. 'Rachi's ground weakness is covered well by 'Gar and Versace, and Keldeo can smash Fire types for it.

One move I would've loved a 5th moveslot for is Healing Wish, but with Virizion being my only set-up sweeper, and 'Mons like Weavile and 'Chomp tending to fulfill their purposes relatively quickly, I'd rather have coverage over it. Another move I've been toying around with is Drain Punch, which lets me land a stronger hit on 'Tran on the switch and gives me a bit more longevity.

EVs:
Pretty self-explanitory. I like having the speed tie on ScarfMence even though I pack Weavile, and the ability to outspeed Scarf Cube is pretty neat too, although it's a pretty uncommon sight. The most important thing is the speed tie with offensive Volc, who is a big problem if it carries Giga Drain and is allowed to set up. The lowest I'd consider dropping to is 310 speed to outpace Scarfed L-T. 4 in Sp. Def is to ward against the rare Download users, since the only Physical user, Genesect, is in Ubers.

Gengar @
***Missing Persons 1 & 2
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Description:
The best non-Ubers offensive spinblocker, bar none. It's honestly too bad this guy's beaten by Starmie, but he gets the job done against most other spinners. I've used both the subsplit and subdisable variants (arguably the two most popular ones) to varying degrees of success, but after taking a short ride with Mega 'Gar HO in 6th Gen (specifically, MikeDecIsHere's team), I figured why not try the same thing in 5th Gen. This 'Gar is pretty much tailored to the team's needs - HP Ice provides a quick KO on L-T and Gliscor, something that the opponent usually doesn't expect. It also deals decent damage to Sun sweeping Venusaur. Tbolt 2HKOs 'Cruel and Forre, OHKOs Skarm (disregarding Sturdy) and does hefty damage to opposing Keldeo, which can pose a bit of a problem at times. I can also limit opposing Custap Skarm to one layer of hazards between HP Ice and Tbolt. Focus Blast hits 'Tran for a 2HKO most Ttar for an OHKO iirc, as well as hitting other steels like Ferrothorn. This also allows me to double up on perfect coverage, between BoltBeam and FocusBall. Finally, Shadow Ball gets STAB, but also lets me land huge hits on bulky 'Mons that threaten Keldeo, like Slowbro and Reuniclus. It's also my best bet against the rare Cosmic Power Sigilyph.

EBelt is a ridiculous item on this 'Gar set due to its great coverage on the targets it's meant to hit. With all the residuals running around (especially with this team's lack of a spinner), I was turned off by LO's recoil damage. SR support from 'Chomp usually helps to bridge the gap anyway, and without LO recoil I can live certain hits like RP L-T's Stone Edge.

Gengar offers a lot in synergy with its three immunities. It deters the foe from using the rare boom recklessly, and also is a nice pivot against Fighting types for Weavile and my frailer 'Mons like 'Rachi and Versace (at the very worst, I can sometimes force an overprediction from Conk). Finally, the Ground and Toxic immunities come in handy for 'Gar to beat SubToxic Gliscor, one of the most common (and annoying, if used well) sets in the metagame in my experience, and also to act as a semi-reliable pivot against L-T from 'Rachi.

EVs:
The EVs are pretty straightforward, just the classic 252/252. 4 in Defense, because a lot of 'Gar's key resistances are physical (like U-Turn and 'Loom's bullet seed), and it's also a slight buffer against random stuff like Gliscor's Ice Fang.

Garchomp @
***Marching On
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 64 Atk / 80 SAtk / 252 Spd / 112 HP
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Description:
Garchomp is one of the best offensive SR setters in BW2 OU. Its perfect coverage between its STABs and Fire Blast is incredible. As my team is pretty much HO, it benefits from SR a lot, with the sheer number of switches Keldeo, 'Gar, and co. force. SR is especially useful for 'Gar, as it's helped bridge the gap for many OHKOs (I don't have any specific examples, just based on experience). Rocky Helmet is where the set changes from the normal SR 'Chomp - coupled with Rough Skin, it lets me push over 25% damage on every careless U-Turn or other physical hit the opponent tries to use. This is especially helpful for wearing down threats like Scizor to the point where Weavile can KO it on the switch with Low Kick, and lets me push damage on threats in emergencies, like on Gyarados. The last thing Rocky Helmet does is it takes advantage of Rapid Spin's mechanics - if the opponent dies from recoil on a spin, the spin doesn't remove the hazards. This lets me beat Forretress through Sturdy, etc. If I don't see any key physical threats on the opponent's team, 'Chomp becomes one of my most aggressively played 'Mons, being my primary switch-in to L-T, Scizor, 'Rachi, and the like.

Even with the lowered attack investment, EQ still 2HKOs what it should, like 'Rachi, 'Gross, and steel friends, and it does a minimum 81% to 'Cruel, meaning that if it Rapid Spins then it will faint and the spin will not be pulled off. The threat of Outrage is arguably more useful than the move itself - I usually only use Outrage against Gyarados, or as a last attack when I'm about to faint.

Garchomp has good synergy with the rest of the team since it has that Dragon typing, which lets it take Fire moves for Weavile, 'Rachi, and Versace. Its Ground typing is also insanely useful as a Volt Switch immunity, making 'Chomp a good pivot (or if the opposing 'Mon is scarfed, a stop) against Volt-Turn teams. As a result, the presence of 'Chomp often forces the opponent to overpredict and use HP Ice, which I can use to my advantage. Chomp also doesn't really open up many shared weaknesses with the team, as Ice types are handled well between 'Rachi and Keldeo.

EVs:
80 Sp. Atk lets me OHKO standard bulky SD Scizor after SR (at least, it gives me a 94% chance - a guaranteed OHKO requires a splurge of EVs for some reason iirc). It also lets me put the hurt on Sp.Def Skarm and Ferrothorn a little more. 112 HP lets me survive CB Terrakion's Close Combat after SR, which is a 'Mon that, with some good support, can pretty much force me to sack something every time it comes in (although CB Terrak does the same for most HO teams). It also lets me survive Fist Plate Jolly 'Loom's Focus Punch. Speed is maxed to take advantage of 'Chomp's great base speed, and the rest is thrown into attack.

Versace @
***Everybody Loves Me
Ability: Justified
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Spd / 200 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Description:
Versace oozes class, it's just that kind of 'Mon. It's a strange sight on HO, and in OU in general, but it accomplishes several massive feats for my team. Firstly, it's a great pivot with its resistance to SR, Grass typing, and natural special bulk - Versace can come in on 'Mons like Washtom, Jellicent, and Gastrodon with little fear - and it possesses enough offensive power to remove them after a CM or two. Because of STAB Focus Blast/Miss, Versace also gets pretty decent coverage between its STABs and HP Ice. It comes in early- and mid-game as a pivot, but I usually try to keep it as a lategame sweeper, as Weavile does a good job at beating its counters, and Keldeo wears down its checks. Versace functions well against the two most common weathers as well (Rain and Sand), checking or beating most of the 'Mons (like Hippo, Gliscor, Ferro, 'Toed, Psyshock-less Starmie) that may pose trouble to the rest of the team. It also checks some sun sweepers to an extent, being able to push damage on Venusaur (it loses 1v1 iirc, but it can tank a couple HP Fires). Overall, it's a bulky pivot that has great speed and offensive presence, and it can remove a lot of Keldeo's checks (especially Gastrodon, which is a massive pita for this team and a lot of teams I make).

This 'Mon's all about synergy. It is the only water resist (Keldeo doesn't count) on the team, and pseudo-resists BoltBeam due to his insane special bulk, and the fact that BoltBeam is usually Bolt + HP Ice, a relatively weak move anyway. Versace's special attacking nature allows it to absorb stray Wisps if necessary, especially from Washtom or Jelli.

EVs:
EVs are nothing special. I put enough HP for a lefties number, since I rely on Versace to take a few hits early- to mid-game. The rest is put into Speed (Versace has SE coverage on all three of Cobalion, Keldeo and Terrak, which is nice) and Sp. Atk.

mini threatlist
- Pretty decently very annoying. I usually trade 'Chomp for some damage, which at that point I can revenge it with 'Rachi. It doesn't get to come in a lot for free, but it has 'nuff chances.
- lol this guy. It wrecks every single team I make. Giga Drain variants beat Keldeo. If I do have SR up though, I can pressure it enough to prevent it from setting up. I've also thought about HP Rock > HP Ice on Virizion.
- More of a defensive threat, but there's really nothing I can do to prevent it from setting SR up. It can't do too much to my team unless it's TR though. TR variants are tough 'cuz I'm paranoid about boom, and 'Gar is KOed by Gyro Ball. Also lots of people are now running Heatproof, and bluffing it pretty well actually. Oh well, 'Zong's pretty rare in OU anyway.
- Pretty annoying if it's a well-played scarfer and Weavile is down. 'Rachi or 'Gar can KO, depending on what move he chooses.

importable

Pastebin

Thanks for reading :]​

Hi Tokyo Tom,

This is a really solid team and I like your use of Rocky Helmet Garchomp.

On Keldeo I think you should use HP Electric over HP Psychic. Although HP Psychic lets you hit Toxicroak and other fighting-types, most fighting-types don't switch into Keldeo, and Toxicroak is checked pretty well by Jirachi and Garchomp. HP Electric allows you to hit Gyarados for a shocking amount of damage, as well as hitting Jellicent super-effectively. In addition, I think you give Keldeo a Choice Scarf. Scarf Keldeo can revenge weakened Volcarona with Hydro Pump, as well as revenging Gyarados with HP Electric. Scarf Keldeo also gives you another win condition once Keldeo's checks have worn eliminated with Weavile or Virizion. You'll also have to change your EVs to the standard max speed spread.

I also recommend you change Virizion to Celebi with Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, Giga Drain, and Recover. Although Virizion is a good special tank, it lacks reliable recovery and is going to be worn down quicky by powerful rain-boosted water-type moves. With its good bulk and Recover, Celebi can switch into Hydro Pump spam much more easily and also has Natural Cure to absorb status. This is important because the rest of your team really doesn't like being paralyzed or burned. In addition, Celebi can pass Nasty Plot boosts to Keldeo or possibly Gengar, which helps them sweep.

Something that you can try is changing Gengar's item to a Focus Sash. Although Gengar loses some power, it gains the ability to beat Starmie one-on-one. In addition, Gengar can act as an emergency revenge killler, assuming Stealth Rocks aren't up.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 196 SDef / 252 HP / 60 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Some team test replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oriserver-gen5ou-65741
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oriserver-gen5ou-65742
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-74463116
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-74711902

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just want to say I read your RMT and although our playstyles are a little different I really appreciate the time you put into testing the team. I'm gonna put a response in a bit. Thanks a bunch though :]

EDIT: Aight, I got around to trying some stuff out, Celebi's cool, I just changed it to a spread of 12 SAtk / 236 SDef / 20 Spd / 240 HP for the Lefties number and jump on Jolly Cloyster, 'Loom, Standard Washtom, etc. with a little creep.

I've also been considering GothitMAN > 'Gar to help me break through Amoonguss and common defensive cores (Jelli n' Ferro, for one) a little more easily, although it can give Volc a free switch-in unless Psyshock.

Gothitelle @ Spex | Shadow Tag
Modest | 152 HP / 4 Def / 232 SpA / 120 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Psyshock | Hidden Power Fire | Grass Knot | Trick

I'd consider Sash for 'Gar but this team doesn't really prevent SR from being set up besides using pure offensive pressure. Of course, sui leads like 'Lass, Aero, and Mamo are donked by 'Rachi, but stuff like 'Zong, Custap Skarm, Ferro, or 'Chomp (depending on the situation) can set up pretty easily :/ I have been reconsidering LO again though, might try that out, since I failed to OHKO a Ttar with Focus Blast recently.

With Scarf Keldeo I think it might be a little too redundant with the rest of the team, which donks a lot of stuff Scarf Keldeo handles, but yeah the Volc and Gyara thing is nice, but I might just run ThunderPunch > ZHeadbutt on 'Rachi, since it does upwards of 94%. I might consider the CM Lum set, since it gives me a win-con against rain n' sand balance and stall which is pretty handy once GothitMAN has removed 'Moonguss and Weav has removed Lati@s.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)