Gen 8 Volcarona SS OU Team

So this is my first thread here, this is somewhat of a RMT, so constructive criticism is appreciated.

Firstly, this is my current team
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Taunt

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mirror Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Roost

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 16 SpA / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Psychic

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 124 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Scald

Garchomp acts as a late game set-up sweeper, with Swords Dance and Life Orb to further boost attack. I chose Dragon Claw over Outrage because I don’t appreciate the confusion and the locked in move.

Tapu Fini is there to act as a Set-Up preventer with Taunt and Choice Scarf to outspeed the set-upper. Trick can be occasionally used to get an opponent stuck on his move after swapping choice items over, and Scald and Moonblast are for damage if needed

Corviknight acts as a bulky wall with iron defence and body press. He can do additional chip damage with Rocky Helmet and heal up with Roost. Taunt is used as the same purpose with Tapu Fini

Rillaboom acts as a possible revenge killer with boosted and priority Grassy Glide. Swords Dance can be used as well to turn him into a potential sweeper.

Volcarona is also a late game sweeper with Quiver Dance to increase speed, damage, and special bulk, and dishes out damage with Fiery Dance and Paychic for Coverage. Roost is to prevent dying early.

Slowking-Galar is there specifically to deal with special sweepers that I always seem to encounter. Assault Vest numbs impact from Choice Specs + Moonblast Tapu Lele and Regenerator regains health from switching in to take damage for the team.

So, any ways to improve this team if need be?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
Hello,

I'll give you a light rate, please in the future try to aim for 3 sentences for descriptions of each Pokémon because you're cusping 1-2 for each. I'd like to know more detail about the methodology on why each Pokémon was chosen and what their purpose is on the team as well as threats / switch ins.

Threats: I can see Zeraora being problematic either a Choice Band variant or even a Bulk Up Life Orb Variant. Yes Tapu Fini will outspeed but not be enough to revenge kill. Your best case scenario when it comes to Tapu Fini vs Zeraora would be to go for the Scald burn or to hope to Trick on a Bulk up. Zeraora with +1 Attack pretty much rip through this team, Plasma Fist would OHKO Corviknight, Volcarona and Slowking Galar. Play Rough would take down Garchomp and Rillaboom has an opportunity to get OHKO'd by Close Combat after Stealth Rock damage.

Calcs below:

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Volcarona: 363-426 (97.3 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 471-556 (117.7 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Zeraora Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 395-465 (110.6 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 12 Def Slowking-Galar: 374-441 (94.9 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Suggestions:

Garchomp needs to have a Jolly Nature because Serious nature is neutral and since all your attacks are physical it would be best to be Jolly. Go with Scale Shot over Dragon Claw so you can go for the Speed boosts (and potential to hit 5 times for more damage over Dragon Claw). This is helpful in case you're not able to set up Swords Dance depending on the matchup (especially since you're Life Orb).

Slowking-Galar looks good.

For Tapu Fini, I wouldn't change anything.

Corviknight needs to have Pressure instead of Mirror Armor, Pressure is way more conducive to stall by roosting and PP stalling the opposition.

To fix Zeraora problem, I would recommend to go with a Choice Band set instead of the Life Orb Swords Dance on Rillaboom because of the likelihood of 1HKO with Grassy Glide as seen here:
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora in Grassy Terrain: 301-355 (94.9 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
:rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

With Volcarona I would go with Flamethrower instead of Fiery Dance since those BP difference makes a huge difference when it comes to calculations (after QD) and Quiver Dance will be accomplishing the same thing in terms of stat boosts. Also since you're using a bulkier set I would go with the move that has more PP which is Flamethrower 15 > 10 PP.

Good luck with your team and I hope my suggestions are helpful.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hello! This team looks interesting and I hope the changes suggested below will help you on ladder.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/1157a3932b27ec6f

Offensive Garchomp is a big threat in this tier, but your team needs hazard setting and defensive Garchomp synergises extremely well with grassy terrain while helping check fire types for Rillaboom and Corviknight (also turns into a sturdier electric immunity with defensive investment).

Tapu Fini should use a more defensive set as Dragapult otherwise tears through your team with shadow ball. This set also allows you to annoy more passive teams with taunt to take pressure off of its teammates.

Iron defence is mainly used on stall as the lack of momentum it has does not matter that much for passive teams. But your team is more proactive and would appreciate the u-turn support the standard set provides to safely bring in your offensive threats.

Changed Rillaboom to the bulky SD set for more longevity to support its teammates with grassy terrain.

With more defensive spreads on Garchomp and Tapu Fini, Slowking is free to use a nasty plot set that tears apart unsuspecting defensive cores for its teammates to sweep.

TO

Choice scarf Kartana provides speed control without lacking power due to its absurdly high attack and grassy terrain boosting the power of leaf blade, which does threaten to OHKO unboosted Zeraora:
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora in Grassy Terrain: 312-367 (98.4 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)