Victini

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, let's talk Victini. There's a Japanese event coming out in which Victini gains access to three brand new moves, which are: Bolt Strike, Blue Flare, and Glaciate. Before I speak any further, sources located here and here.

I can hardly contain my squeal of glee, but on some level, I expected this to happen. We are talking about Junichi Masada's favorite Pokemon, one of the head directors and founding members of Gamefreak.

Aside from the cool factor, which is blindingly obvious, Blue Flare and Glaciate will most likely be neglected, but I think Bolt Strike itself eliminates the need for Victini to ever have to rely on its secondary STAB. Bulky Water type checks have an even harder life, since LO will probably see a surge in usage thanks to its main coverage move jumping a respectable 30 BP (and people wanting to try out Glaciate to catch Flygon switch-ins, perhaps?).

I think it's safe to assume that Victini will not change significantly; it's still the brutal V-slinging rodent we all know and love, but for those of you who felt Fusion Bolt just wasn't powerful enough to get the job done, this could be your calling to give him another try.

Saw that posted elsewhere yesterday....want one of those.

On topic: I've mainly been studying/playing RU but this along with Mew (my favorite) coming down is going to cause me to spend some time here.

Seems like Bolt Strike (130 bp, 85% acc) will definitely be seeing use out of the 3 new moves. Blue Flare is ulmost unfair if not for V-Create. STAB 130 bp attack boostable with weather? Normally that'd be the keynote move.

Look forward to using this guy on PS soon! Time to study UU some more...

I'm with SJCrew with the Glaciate factor. Maybe a nice little mixed Expert Belt set could work out with Victini in conjunction with Glaciate.

Victini @ Expert Belt
Nature: Hasty
252 Attack & Speed, 4 Special Attack
V-Create/Blue Flare, Bolt Strike, U-Turn, & Glaciate

Random calcs below:

4 SpAtk Expert Belt Victini Glaciate vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Flygon: 90.7% - 108.31% (50% chance to OHKO)

252 Atk Expert Belt Victini Bolt Strike vs 252 HP/252 Def Suicune (+Def) : 46.29% - 54.46% (2-3 hits to KO)

252 Atk Expert Belt Victini Bolt Strike vs 0 HP/0 Def Blastoise (+Def) : 86.62% - 102.68% (18.75% chance to OHKO)

4 SpAtk Expert Belt Victini Blue Flare vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Bronzong (+SpDef) : 65.98% - 77.51% (2 hits to KO)

252 Atk Victini Bolt Strike vs 0 HP/0 Def Kingdra: 42.47% - 50% (2-3 hits to KO)

252 Atk Expert Belt Victini Bolt Strike vs 248 HP/244 Def Slowbro (+Def) : 48.85% - 58.02% (2-3 hits to KO)

I think this Victini would work nicely on a bit of a VoltTurn team. Blue Flare can be used over V-Create if the drops aren't appealing to you (but V-Create may be the more appealing move due to the damage factor). Not sure if this set's gonna completely work, but I would like feedback if anyone tries it out.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Expert Belt is a problem for something that pulls its weight in neutral and resisted damage. For example, you lose the ability to 2HKO Snorlax with V-create without Life Orb. The bluff for Choice seems novel, but it's not worth an overall decrease in effectiveness. You can be predictable and still extremely threatening with Life Orb (considering Victini's number of threatening moves has increased to, uh, two).

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it seems this Victini is being fixed with a Lax nature, which does nothing to benefit it in the slightest. It'll probably still be used but it lacks the +Natures it needs to be a major threat.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
He's right

http://serebii.net/events/dex/494.shtml

Oh dear lord GF has no sense of balance. Are they afraid that "not" nature locking Victini would break it?

I don't have much else to add to the thread at this point.

But, again, so we're clear, terrible balance sense.

If anyone wants to add to this discussion, go right ahead. But lax nature is so... bleh. I'm going to give it a chance and see if Bolt Strike is worth that awful nature, but goddamn GF... just goddamn.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I personally would have urged a ban on Bolt Strike Victini had it been able to be Jolly or Adamant.

Also for those who dont know lax is plus defense minus special defense (utter garbage except for perhaps a unique mized sweeper, i thought i heard some people talking about lax mixed kblack in ou)

tehy

Banned deucer.
Yeah, i think it's already been established that GF has no idea how to do events-aura sphere raikou says hello. Either give us the moves straight up or don't at all-does victini really want 10 more BP on a special attack and 30 more BP on a physical coverage move, in exchange for lower Spdef and being outsped by a bunch of +spe natured stuff?

Although side note-an interesting set would be one where you just lead off with glaciate, so you can outspeed the enemy regardless-be nice against offensive teams, although in the end they'd get you.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
the official site makes no mention of victini being locked into Lax. Either Serebii is wrong, I misread, or he has some other inside source o.o

I HOPE not, Lax is just such a useless nature you'd never run on any Pokemon. TrollFreak really needs to pay more attention to what happens competitively, or else they're deliberately pre-balancing the Pokemon.

On second thought this might be decent on a Bulky Mixtini set, but still not amazing.

Physical Victini is not overpowered; quite far from it. Scarf Victini is actually outdamaged by Darmanitan (higher base attack + Sheer Force). All Victini has is the capability to go mixed and an extra 5 base speed, which doesn't go for too much considering that they're both generally Scarfers, and Victini will lose that after using its main attack. Darmanitan can stay in and win games from 4-4 or something once its counters are removed; Victini can't and it kind of needs to swap out. It's also possibly the most Pursuit-weak Pokemon in UU. I find that only the Banded version is any sort of threat because it really has no safe switch in. It's hit-and-run, just like Slaking (XD).

http://serebii.net/events/dex/494.shtml

Serebii has now updated their event page saying the new Victini can have ANY nature. I still wouldn't trust the site 'cause they had the Lax nature there for the longest time without mentioning the source and now they just go with the flow since other websites like Bulbapedia say the nature can be random.

Let's hope they are right while waiting for a reliable source.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well the event started today so I don't think they'd be fucking that up anymore lol

Anyway, Lax wouldn't make it useless but the thing is, if you don't need the Speed boost that Jolly gives, you might as well just use Adamant with Fusion Bolt or Modest with Fire Blast over Lax with Bolt Strike / Blue Flare. The drop is physical bulk from Lax is pretty harsh, and a lot of what Victini can switch into are Physical attacks (Close Combat, Flare Blitz, etc).

Yay! We can finally rest knowing that Victini isn't nature locked. :) If I didn't know better I would think that Serebii was just trying to troll us all.

Finally, Victini my just get the attention it deserves! With V-create AND Bolt Strike, It'll be hard to ignore the little bitch now!

Serebii just made a slight mistake. Whenever they show an event pokemon's stats along with it's nature it sometimes is locked with the nature shown in the image. That was different this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)