Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Dialga is gaining traction right now as being a restricted that, for the most part, can shrug off anything Kyogre can do to it.
What set do you recommend for Dialga? Assault Vest?
Rillaboom's Grassy Glide is gonna hurt, most offensive Electric-types can Dynamax to take the hit and revenge kill Ogre back, and in general, the duo is a little weak to Fake Out due to Kyogre being choiced, just respect the Kyogre's option to Dynamax if you choose that route.
I did once found a Kyogre which had Protect, meaning it had possibly a other item aside from Choice items, like Mystic Water.

Netherious

some call me papa neth
is a Community Leader Alumnus

I did once found a Kyogre which had Protect, meaning it had possibly a other item aside from Choice items, like Mystic Water.
Assault vest or Weakness Policy are my personal favorites. Assault Vest truly solidifies Dialga as a Kyogre counter, however the loss of Trick Room/Protect as options may not be worth as Dialga already handles Kyogre well enough without AV.

I personally lean towards Weakness Policy because it can offset any snarl drops or if Dialga gets Max Quaked. It is a bit awkward you can't have Telepathy and self proc weakness policy, but it's not entirely necessary.

I run protect on my scarfed kyogre because dynamax and knock off are both options, since you're almost always clicking water spout anyway you get some flexibility with your other moves
mystic water is pretty popular right now. You can check item usage on pikalytics, as well as other statistics about pokemon sets

For AV Dialga, you can run something like this:

Dialga @ Assault Vest
Ability: Telepathy
Level: 50
EVs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 196 SpA / 12 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Body Press

Nickos

Quack
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Just noticed that the VR got updated but there was no reasoning as to why stuff like Reshiram/Zekrom/Zamazenta C/Both Kyurems actually went up, Pikalytics' usage stats haven't updated in weeks for some reason so I can't even check precisely if they're just trending, could anyone clarify please? Wondering if they're getting results or something

Also noticed a huge jump for Registeel, from Unranked to B-, this is the one I'm the most curious of.

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Just noticed that the VR got updated but there was no reasoning as to why stuff like Reshiram/Zekrom/Zamazenta C/Both Kyurems actually went up, Pikalytics' usage stats haven't updated in weeks for some reason so I can't even check precisely if they're just trending, could anyone clarify please? Wondering if they're getting results or something

Also noticed a huge jump for Registeel, from Unranked to B-, this is the one I'm the most curious of.
hi!

so basically we chose to bump these from D rank because D is for Pokemon that you really should avoid using, and we ultimately found that there is at least some niche for these guys. Kyurem-W is really good vs Groudon/Kyogre/Yveltal matchups, Reshiram is strong vs Zacian-C/Solgaleo/Dusk-Mane, Zekrom and Kyurem-B are solid picks into the Kyogre matchup and both can use Max Airstream, and Zama-C has a very, very small niche in Coaching / Wide Guard / Behemoth Bash allowing it to enable its partner and threaten opposing Dynamax.

Registeel was something that slipped through our initial voting as we used usage from the Legacy VGC server, where Registeel was below 1.5%. Some of QC had been testing it to see if the Amnesia + Iron Defense set was still strong, and the general consensus is that it still has potential to win games on its own.

What can usually beat Zacian in a 1v1 situation in VGC2021, while not being passive against non-Zacian teams? Close Combat + Substitute sets in general. Incineroar gets itself wear down by Flare Blitz recoil, enough for Close Combat to KO it even at -1 Atk. I'm pretty sure Adamant bulky sets KO Rotom-Heat after a Behemoth Blade followed by Close Combat, so what can usually defeat it? Scarf Landorus sounds good idea, but is relatively viable?

What can usually beat Zacian in a 1v1 situation in VGC2021, while not being passive against non-Zacian teams? Close Combat + Substitute sets in general. Incineroar gets itself wear down by Flare Blitz recoil, enough for Close Combat to KO it even at -1 Atk. I'm pretty sure Adamant bulky sets KO Rotom-Heat after a Behemoth Blade followed by Close Combat, so what can usually defeat it? Scarf Landorus sounds good idea, but is relatively viable?
There are a couple of Pokemon that resist both Behemoth Blade and Close Combat, namely Zapdos, Thundurus, Ho-Oh and Charizard, although the latter is usually exclusive to sun. While these don't really switch into Behemoth Blade (except Ho-Oh) they can take one from full and KO Zacian with Max Airstream + STAB move. Necrozma-DM, Solgaleo and Metagross are fairly good options as they resist Behemoth Blade, aren't weak to Close Combat and can boost Defense while doing great damage with Max Steelspike. Groudon can take one Behemoth Blade and OHKO Zacian back Regieleki and Calyrex-S can both outspeed and threaten to do a lot of damage to it. With the right EVs Porygon2 can take a CC and set up trick room to allow your slower pokemon to beat zacian, and Reflect also helps a lot even if Grimmsnarl has to sacrifice itself to set it up. Alternatively you can use dual screens Regieleki instead. Scarf Landorus-T could be viable, but Earthquake doesn't actually OHKO Zacian from full unless Zacian is the only target.

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dynamax Ho-Oh: 170-202 (39.9 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (with recover you're guaranteed to beat zacian every time unless they have SD, but they still have to dodge the burn from Sacred Fire and Wild Charge isnt too common)

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 63-74 (33.6 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (note that NDM and Solgaleo are significantly bulkier than Metagross, so they will take even less)

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Groudon: 118-139 (57 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

236+ Atk Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zacian-Crowned: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (you'll need to dynamax if its a bulky set, but that also means it might not be a 2HKO) (soft sand also guarantees this)

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 160-190 (83.3 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zacian-Crowned: 122-146 (73 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hope this helps! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
I know that right now, given the prevalence of Ubers in the tier, this Pokemon isn't good but... What is the common EV, nature, and moveset for Gmax Pikachu? I have a perfect one in SwSh that I'm going to train, though I'm willing to re-breed if needed to get Volt Tackle.

From what I saw the standard is Timid with Fake Out + Tbolt + Surf + Protect but alternatively Jolly with Fake Out + Volt Tackle + Dig + Protect. There's also the occasional Helping Hand and Feint.

I'm not looking to make a team with it atm but I'm just looking for general ideas on where to take this. Anyone have experience with Gmax Pikachu?

Reactions: ttr
I know that right now, given the prevalence of Ubers in the tier, this Pokemon isn't good but... What is the common EV, nature, and moveset for Gmax Pikachu? I have a perfect one in SwSh that I'm going to train, though I'm willing to re-breed if needed to get Volt Tackle.

From what I saw the standard is Timid with Fake Out + Tbolt + Surf + Protect but alternatively Jolly with Fake Out + Volt Tackle + Dig + Protect. There's also the occasional Helping Hand and Feint.

I'm not looking to make a team with it atm but I'm just looking for general ideas on where to take this. Anyone have experience with Gmax Pikachu?
From what I recall, Timid/Jolly Max Speed +Max Special Attack/Attack is probably the best option for Gmax Pikachu. If you want Pikachu to be more supportive, give it a Focus Sash and supporting moveslike Helping Hand, Fake Out, Electroweb, and Nuzzle. If you want to use it's more offensive options and Gmax Move, I believe that Light Ball and a moveset like Volt Tackle, Dig, Iron Tail, and [Filler Move] would work best, you still get the benefit of a strong Volt Tackle, but you also get the option to boost Pikachu and it's partners defenses. A special based set can work if you want the Max Move with Thunder, Surf, and Grass Knot, but those options don't always benefit the other team members like the physical max moves can do.

Personally, I think the Sash + supporting moveset is the best way to use Gmax-Pikachu, as it has solid supporting options that most teams would want, and the Gmax is still a decent niche option to have there is no other better option to Max in battle. A 110 base power Electric move (coming off of Electroweb) isn't terrible, especially when it paralyzes both opponents, and I think it offers a small, but usable option over Raichu. I'd compare it to using Gmax-Urshifu over normal Urshifu, as yeah, nine times out of ten you are not Maxing it, but having its Gmax move can make all the difference when you need to.

Last edited:
On a scale from "useless gimmick" to "good and can catch people off guard", how viable is Imprison 252+ Zacian? (Yes, it learns Imprison). Even in the Non-zacian ditto matchups, it can still prevent close combat and protect from going off. In the Zacian ditto, you can essentially force it to using substitute spam or hope it has play rough, which only 18% of Zacians at 1500+ run

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
On a scale from "useless gimmick" to "good and can catch people off guard", how viable is Imprison 252+ Zacian? (Yes, it learns Imprison). Even in the Non-zacian ditto matchups, it can still prevent close combat and protect from going off. In the Zacian ditto, you can essentially force it to using substitute spam or hope it has play rough, which only 18% of Zacians at 1500+ run
Imprison Zacian just got 2nd place at a major tournament in Taiwan this past weekend. I think that it's a pretty legit 3rd move alongside BB and your fighting attack of choice. With how dominant Zacian is right now I think it's pretty okay if you find you aren't getting a lot of value out of substitute.

Works great if you have Tailwind / Regieleki running Electroweb and can gain the speed advantage as well to guarantee you will Imprison before they attack

Imprison Zacian just got 2nd place at a major tournament in Taiwan this past weekend. I think that it's a pretty legit 3rd move alongside BB and your fighting attack of choice. With how dominant Zacian is right now I think it's pretty okay if you find you aren't getting a lot of value out of substitute.

Works great if you have Tailwind / Regieleki running Electroweb and can gain the speed advantage as well to guarantee you will Imprison before they attack
I just always run 252+ speed, but I'm gonna try tailwind

How good are priority Screens right now? I loosely follow VGC and Grimmsnarl seems to be fairy popular (but I also could be totally wrong). Do they help enable your Dynamax threats and Restricted Legends?

How good are priority Screens right now? I loosely follow VGC and Grimmsnarl seems to be fairy popular (but I also could be totally wrong). Do they help enable your Dynamax threats and Restricted Legends?
Screens are very good, but another reason why Grimmsnarl is so popular is that it has a lot of cool support moves (Fake tears, scary face / twave for speed control, fake out...), and especially in bo1 (or bo3 with closed team sheets), it can be very annoying. Trick + full incense is also very strong, especially if you don't see it coming

jonas

put your hands to the constellations
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
Screens Are good but Grimmsnarl Makes it so much better. Great Typing, great STABs, (spirit break, sucker punch) as well as offensive utility (fake out, foul play) and finally, great other moves that it can abuse prankster with (fake tears, scary face, thunder wave)
With the addition of screens, it makes the mon really powerful and in turn makes screens really good.

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
Heyo!, i have a question, is there a set compendium?, because i want to know the set of all the mons on the VR (or most of them).
excuse me for having this bad english

Heyo!, i have a question, is there a set compendium?, because i want to know the set of all the mons on the VR (or most of them).
excuse me for having this bad english
we're constantly doing analyses for VGC mons, but not every mon gets an analysis necessarily due to time constraints or other things

What are the best counters for each of the common restricted Pokemon?
First of all, There is no Restricted format running now, so no point for your question. But, I would say Venusaur-GMAX does well against most of restricteds. So yea, Venusaur.

How much speed do most Venukoal Torkoals run in VGC 2021 Series 9?
In my opinion, Torkoal is normally best at minimum speed so it works fantastically in Trick Room (I do believe this is also the most common speed for Torkoal). However, I have seen Hamstermania use a Torkoal with more speed in order to outspeed Glastrier outside of Trick Room.

How much speed do most Venukoal Torkoals run in VGC 2021 Series 9?
In my opinion, or you run:
0 Speed EVs, 0 Speed IVs and a Hindering Nature (Quiet most of the times) (Trick Room sweeper with Eruption)

Enough speed to outspeed Glastrier outside of Trick Room like Helios said (Same as above)

0 Speed EVs, 31 Speed IVs and a not hindering nature, Bold most of the times (Support with Yawn and Body Press)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)