Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

So Series 6 is not really the same thing as BSD, and Showdown! just made a ladder called "Battle Stadium Doubles" with Series 6 rules? If the ladder has Series 6 rules, why is it not called "VGC Series 6"?
I personally find Battle Stadium Doubles more suitable because like said in the rfaq: "Series 5 will likely be the default "VGC 2020" once we transition to VGC 2021." Battle Stadium Doubles (Series 6) is just an alternative to the 'official' aspect of VGC (Series 5).

I personally find Battle Stadium Doubles more suitable because like said in the rfaq: "Series 5 will likely be the default "VGC 2020" once we transition to VGC 2021." Battle Stadium Doubles (Series 6) is just an alternative to the 'official' aspect of VGC (Series 5).
Okay, but I still don't think this explains why the ladder is called "Battle Stadium Doubles" instead of calling it "Series 6".

Can I share a VGC2021 replay in this forum? I want to share an interesting play I did just a while ago. If yes, can I open a new thread for it?

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
To what extent is Naganadel worth using? I understand why people may look down upon it but I think it definetly has a role.

On the topic of Naganadel, I am trying out a core of Comfey + Moltres-G + Naganadel as shown here. The idea is that comfey can use a priority draining kiss to acivate Moltres-g's weakness policy in order to set up a sweep with it. Naganadel is in the back to help ward off fairies such as the tapus as well as switching into electric types pretty well. However, this core has a weakness in Tyranitar. What pokemon could I put in the last two slots to help alleviate this issue? Thanks!

To what extent is Naganadel worth using? I understand why people may look down upon it but I think it definetly has a role.

On the topic of Naganadel, I am trying out a core of Comfey + Moltres-G + Naganadel as shown here. The idea is that comfey can use a priority draining kiss to acivate Moltres-g's weakness policy in order to set up a sweep with it. Naganadel is in the back to help ward off fairies such as the tapus as well as switching into electric types pretty well. However, this core has a weakness in Tyranitar. What pokemon could I put in the last two slots to help alleviate this issue? Thanks!
Tyranitar has issues handling Bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini since it doesn't get anything that can really hit them hard and is weak to Water in return and can fold under Fighting-type attacks from stuff like Galarian Zapdos due to its 4x weakness.

Kantonian Moltres could learn Defog through a move tutor in US/UM. If you trade that Moltres over to SW/SH and make it battle ready, can it relearn that tutor move through SW/SH move relearner or any other means?

So here's a question, I'm not sure if it completely applies here, but I'd like to see some suggestions. I'm going to be competing in a VGC tourney where 2 banned pokemon are allowed per team. If you were to build a team under these rules, what would your team comps be and why? What are the biggest threats?

Here is what I've come up with so far:
https://pokepast.es/ad740d94f349d296

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So here's a question, I'm not sure if it completely applies here, but I'd like to see some suggestions. I'm going to be competing in a VGC tourney where 2 banned pokemon are allowed per team. If you were to build a team under these rules, what would your team comps be and why? What are the biggest threats?

Here is what I've come up with so far:
https://pokepast.es/ad740d94f349d296
By banned do you mean "restricted" pokemon as in box legends like we've had in vgc16/19? Are mythicals still banned? (Because that would change things a lot)

Assuming a format similar to vgc16/19, I think calyrex-shadow rider is going to be a massive threat (it's basically lunala but stronger) and outside of incineroar it kinda dumps on your whole team. You've also only got one thing that resists scarf kyogre spamming water spout.
But otherwise I think that looks like a decent starting point.

By banned do you mean "restricted" pokemon as in box legends like we've had in vgc16/19? Are mythicals still banned? (Because that would change things a lot)

Assuming a format similar to vgc16/19, I think calyrex-shadow rider is going to be a massive threat (it's basically lunala but stronger) and outside of incineroar it kinda dumps on your whole team. You've also only got one thing that resists scarf kyogre spamming water spout.
But otherwise I think that looks like a decent starting point.
Mythicals can be used in this tourney. "players may have any number of pokemon permitted in series 7...players may have up to 2 pokemon forbidden from series 7 on their team". See I was thinking shadow-rider as well, but sucker punch keeps me from committing to it

One way to stop TR is to flinch the TR-setter (if possible). One way to do this is to go for a Move like Rock Slide, which has 90% Accuracy and a 30% flinch chance. It's possible for both of your Pokémon to go for it at the same time to increase your chances of getting the flinch.

What are the odds of getting a flinch on the TR-setter if you go for double-Rock Slide, factoring in the miss chance...and what is the equation?

I did this:
(n.b. Chance to flinch expressed as a decimal, as 0,3; chance to miss expressed as a decimal, as 0,9))
(1+0,3)(1+0,3)-1=1,69-1=0,69x0,9x,09=0,5589

The reason I add a 1 to the flinch chance and then take it out is because it will compound the odds in a positive direction; without doing this, the odds would decrease because you're taking a third of a third. I think it makes sense to take the 1 back out as soon as you are done modifying the flinch chance, though (as opposed to pretending like its not there for the rest of the equation and ignoring it when looking at the percentage at the end)

Edit: thank you to Yellow Paint for solving the problem! The equation he used was as follows:

1 - (.7 / .9)^2 = 0.39506172839506193

One crucial piece of info he gave was that if you used the chance to miss, the equation I was using would produce a decimal >1,0, which would mean it'd have >100% chance of happening, which isn't accurate at all.

Last edited:
One way to stop TR is to flinch the TR-setter (if possible). One way to do this is to go for a Move like Rock Slide, which has 90% Accuracy and a 30% flinch chance. It's possible for both of your Pokémon to go for it at the same time to increase your chances of getting the flinch.

What are the odds of getting a flinch on the TR-setter if you go for double-Rock Slide, factoring in the miss chance...and what is the equation?

I did this:
(n.b. Chance to flinch expressed as a decimal, as 0,3; chance to miss expressed as a decimal, as 0,9))
(1+0,3)(1+0,3)-1=1,69-1=0,69x0,9x,09=0,5589

The reason I add a 1 to the flinch chance and then take it out is because it will compound the odds in a positive direction; without doing this, the odds would decrease because you're taking a third of a third. I think it makes sense to take the 1 back out as soon as you are done modifying the flinch chance, though (as opposed to pretending like its not there for the rest of the equation and ignoring it when looking at the percentage at the end)

Edit: thank you to Yellow Paint for solving the problem! The equation he used was as follows:

1 - (.7 / .9)^2 = 0.39506172839506193

One crucial piece of info he gave was that if you used the chance to miss, the equation I was using would produce a decimal >1,0, which would mean it'd have >100% chance of happening, which isn't accurate at all.
Seeing this question, does Oranguru have a niche as a trick room setter very hard to knock out before setting up, with Follow me/ rage powder?

Seeing this question, does Oranguru have a niche as a trick room setter very hard to knock out before setting up, with Follow me/ rage powder?
Oranguru can work, it's quite bulky and not weak to any spread moves other than Fiery Wrath and Snarl. It also packs Instruct, which can be devastating. I still prefer Dusclops, Cresselia and Porygon2 personally. Fake Out support is very helpful for it too, though there aren't too many Fake Out users that work well in Trick Room.

Last edited:
2 questions: Why is heat Rotom not completely outclassed by Incineroar and Regieleki? Are there any ways to "counter the meta" now in VGC 21?

2 questions: Why is heat Rotom not completely outclassed by Incineroar and Regieleki? Are there any ways to "counter the meta" now in VGC 21?
Rotom-H has levitate, therefore a safety googles one can take almost every shit Venusaur can throw up (it is immune to sleep powder and max quake, resists grass). Nasty plot also makes Rotom-H a good dynamax option.

What would be some good teammates for Weakness Policy Metagross? The set I'm running is Iron Head, Stomping Tantrum, Rock Slide, Protect with max HP and Attack EVs.

Use something that can trigger its Weakness Policy, like Entei (bulldoze) or Tornadus (Brutal Swing), Grimmsnarl is another good partner for Metagross because it has screens + Sucker Punch to trigger the wp if you need it

Porygon 2 is also very good with metagross, it has trick room for speed control and can check things like Spectrier that just easily beats metagross

Where are a list of Cartridge Tournaments? I'd like to play in (or even create/host) tournaments that add to or detract from the current rule set, such as using the expansions of the VGC 2019 adjusted for the VGC 2020 format (possibly including mythical pokemon as well because I do not see the point in excluding them within this rule set), bringing back something similar to the banlist that was in effect during Series 6, and also tournaments that apply either of these limitations/expansions to singles.

Where are a list of Cartridge Tournaments? I'd like to play in (or even create/host) tournaments that add to or detract from the current rule set, such as using the expansions of the VGC 2019 adjusted for the VGC 2020 format (possibly including mythical pokemon as well because I do not see the point in excluding them within this rule set), bringing back something similar to the banlist that was in effect during Series 6, and also tournaments that apply either of these limitations/expansions to singles.
Victory Road has an almost complete list of the official tournaments used so far here: https://victoryroadvgc.com/2020-season/ . This list excludes Series 1, but Serebii has it along with the other rulesets for ranked battles as well here: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/rankedbattle.shtml . From what i've seen / played on the cart any tournamts not following the standard Series formats are usually ran using the Battle Tower rules for double battles (recent GS competitions have used that format to run friendly competitions on cart).

Victory Road has an almost complete list of the official tournaments used so far here: https://victoryroadvgc.com/2020-season/ . This list excludes Series 1, but Serebii has it along with the other rulesets for ranked battles as well here: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/rankedbattle.shtml . From what i've seen / played on the cart any tournamts not following the standard Series formats are usually ran using the Battle Tower rules for double battles (recent GS competitions have used that format to run friendly competitions on cart).
So how would I go about creating some fun tournaments with funky expansions/limitations that I mentioned above for people on this site that may be interested?

Reactions: ttr
So how would I go about creating some fun tournaments with funky expansions/limitations that I mentioned above for people on this site that may be interested?
You would have to create the rules yourself and tell people beforehand. The Sw/Sh rules selection is pretty limited, generally speaking you can not create a ruleset in-game that would ban / allow certain pokemon / rules beyond what exists. If you want to make a custom format (for VGC, but works with singles as well), you would need to use the Double Battle Battle Tower rules, and or post the rules elsewhere. As far as I can tell, there is no way to create a format in-game to specifically bar / allow certain Pokémon separate from what the rules give you. Additionally fyi, the friendly competition option on cart is a ladder tournament, so if you want to run a bracket, Bo3's, etc., it would not be supported there, so you would still have to use an outside source to run those tournaments.

You would have to create the rules yourself and tell people beforehand. The Sw/Sh rules selection is pretty limited, generally speaking you can not create a ruleset in-game that would ban / allow certain pokemon / rules beyond what exists. If you want to make a custom format (for VGC, but works with singles as well), you would need to use the Double Battle Battle Tower rules, and or post the rules elsewhere. As far as I can tell, there is no way to create a format in-game to specifically bar / allow certain Pokémon separate from what the rules give you. Additionally fyi, the friendly competition option on cart is a ladder tournament, so if you want to run a bracket, Bo3's, etc., it would not be supported there, so you would still have to use an outside source to run those tournaments.
So maybe I could start a discord and hold polls to see what monthly Doubles/Singles tournaments members want to play as well as suggestions from members? If something like that gets big enough, there could be prizes I guess, but I primarily wanna do this for fun with folks who get tired of the traditional meta games like myself. The banlist tourneys I wanna implement would be standard restricted/banlist also including Urshifu, Tapu Fini, Regieleki, Incineroar, Glastrier, Lando-T, Rillaboom, Zapdos, Cinderace, Mimikyu, Porygon2, Hippowdon, Dracovish, Kartana, Nihilego, and Dragapult. Then the expanded tourneys would be the same with the exception of 2 restricted/banned pokemon previously mentioned per team. Then we could do things like Regional Battles where you can only use Sw/Sh playable pokemon from a specific region, All-Out Offensive where it's standard VGC rules where each player can only use damaging moves, Raw Power-500 where each player can only use pokemon with base stat totals ranging from 500-599 (3 Exceptions; 1: Pokemon who's BST's are theoretically raised to 500+ after holding stat-boosting items including Eviolite, Thick Club, Assault Vest, and any of the Choice items are allowed. 2: Power-Construct Zygarde-10% is not allowed, 3: Dynamax/Gigantamax forms are not allowed). I just have a lot of fun ideas I would like to mess around with in tournaments with other people!

Last edited:
Hey so i need some help on a Musharna build which is good for doubles.I want a teammate that would also work well with Musharna.Can someone help with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)