Resource VGC 2022 Viability Rankings [Updated for Worlds Metagame]

Internet_20220428_072448_84.pngC- To A-
Im sorry but this mon in anything below B is just funny to me, it has performed well at multiple events even if sun was top in the metagame with its great synergy with kyogre + the ability to annoy swordfish. Its possible that you prepped really hard for shedinja, get read once and then you're in a losing position. Kyogre Shedinja teams are strong, have potential to develop and therefore I think it should be A-.
Internet_20220428_072448_45.png A- To A-
I heard some people say it should drop and I disagree. Its not on hotdog anymore but yveldon and lunadon make really good use of it. It + Regieleki/Thunderus is actually their main way of beating Rinya sun and into most matchups Groudon Venusaur is just a strong lead. Its good with or without maxing which makes it just such a flexible pokemon.
Internet_20220428_072448_35.pngA+ To A
Its still good but A+ is just overrating it imo. Its pretty equal to indeedee and might be worse in a sun metagame. Would you really say amoonguss is just as good as grimmsnarl?
Internet_20220428_072448_38.pngA+ To A
Pretty much the same as amoonguss, I feel like this in A+ is overrating it, its pretty equal to zapdos and its worse than grimmsnarl which is also in A+.
Internet_20220428_072448_48.png B+ To B-
This mons main thing used to be destroying trick room teams but now indeedee carrys mystical fire, palkia flamethrower and its hard to justify a team slot on this grass type since it gets destroyed by sun and doesnt pressure gastrodon that hard.
Internet_20220428_072448_54.pngB To B-
This mon fell off. The trick room restricted Palkia and caly-I set their own trick room now.( I actually think standard palkia caly-I is a 5 pokemon team and the p2 slot barely does anything) Also caly-I kinda needs the Babiri berry atm.
Internet_20220428_072448_53.pngB To B-
This thing just lacks results compared to raichu which is in the same tier. I just dont think its deserving of B atm.

Last edited:
restricteds (very little):

- kyurem white: B -> any C tier
kyurem white has fallen off tbh. it may have some niche in hyper offense but there are just better pokemon rampaging vgc atm

- reshiram C+ -> B-
this is after indianapolis regionals, but reshiram reaching top cut in EUIC once and 2-3 times in Indianapolis Regionals really says something. it has good defenses and is able to hit hard. it has good stab moves and can run earth power like most special attacking restricteds. it also is able to have solar beam for 2 weaknesses being ground and rock. solar beam may not be as viable as it is sun dependent but if you’re able to dynamax and turn it in max overgrowth then it is pretty useful. reshiram isn’t the most perfect restricted but it’s still strong

- lunala C+ -> B-/B
i think lunala is also good and maybe a bit better than reshiram. it having shadow shield reducing super effective dmg is really useful and can utilize power gem power herb to raise its special attack and make it into a one turn attack. it’s also good at fast trick room with

non restricteds:

- gigantamax charizard A- -> A/A+
gigantamax charizard is rampaging vgc. gmax wilfire is crazy and its availability to solar power + life orb + sun is absolutely insane. it also gets STAB airstream which is always a plus in dynamax. it also gets some good coverage with max overgrowth, max wyrmwind, max rockfall that i’ve seen. it can also run charti berry while still being very strong and eat a rock move more easily

- gastrodon A- -> A
gastrodon is good support and is good for being immune to water attacks with the ability storm drain raising its special attack. it has access to yawn in which sleep is very good to inflict onto the opponent. it has ice beam for coverage against ground, ice, and grass, types and stab earth power. one of its drawbacks is rillaboom, with a stab priority potentially miracle seed grassy glide, but it still shows that it is strong in this vgc series

- rillaboom A- -> A
rillaboom is good because of its ability to set up grassy terrain, allowing it to use grassy glide pretty easily. it can also fake out opponents and have moves like high horsepower for fire type coverage or perhaps u turn to do damage before switching. it does well into kyogre and groudon for 2x weakness and especially gastrodon having a 4x weakness to grass. it can also run assault vest to take special hits easier

Restricted:
Groudon (A> +A) : I don't understand why this monster is not with Kyogre, Rinya Sun is still one of the most dangerous teams, the assault Vest is still useful but several players explored good variants with sworddance, with lifeorb, although in greater measure assault is preferred, but even so, having charizard gmax, zacian and others like grimi rilla gastro or inci help a lot to the composition, because groudon is the one that helps almost all of them, it should be taking into account the good results that he has achieved, although now not much, I think he deserves to be with kyogre.

Yveltal (-A > A) : this thing...with LifeOrb is crazy, it only takes a single turn to be ready and have a few of the rival's pokemon that most likely can deal with it, not even thundurus will be able to knock it down because regielequi or raichu *but elequi is better* they always use electroweeb increasing their attack, add the stab foulplay, Yvelta's ability, the life sphere and the increase that thundurus had at that moment, calyrex shadow is not a problem in the vast majority of cases , and because it is a pokemon that gives a lot of problems to pokemon that do not have a thundu or outright, are slower than it.

Reshiram (+C > -B/B) : after the most recent results I think this mon should also go up I think at least to -B, assault vest is incredible (although there are good variants also with lifeorb or the occasional wk), calyrex shadow, Kyogre and special attacks that are not yveltal with snarl will not knock him down, he has a good mashup against zacian, a good combination of max dragon and max quaque, which also pokemon like palkia and dialga do, with the difference that now zacian and incineroar without sucha berry will not be a problem, it will not be as adapted as palkia and calyrex ice, or the best dragon, but it is still strong, and the duo with calyrex ice is the same as palkia, with the difference of better facing fairies and steels, and as said, the assault vest compensates some of the fights with kyogre or calyrex shadow.

Kyurem White (B >+C) : I think that after the last few months, I realized the mistakes of this mon, bad confrontation with zacian, lack of good resistances, and above all being only good in hyperoffensive teams, what pokemon like yveltal, calyrex ice and shadow don't have a problem taking it down, besides not being very flexible like the other mons out of dmax, it's still good and can work on calyrex shadow teams, but this mon is definitely down, also, it's bad against Rinya Sun.

Not Restricted:
Landorus Therian (+B> -A/A) : I'm crazy to say this, but Landorus is still a good threat, despite the presence of more frequent inci or kyogre, White Herb, Lum Berry, or with swordance they are Lethal, besides that you won't know what he will do in the first or second turn, do dynamax, swordance and tailwind with thundurus or whimsicoot, besides that he is very flexible, I think he should at least be in -A, because he can against Rinya Sun *Groudon no swordance *.

Gastrodom (-A> A) : has problems against physical pokemon, and Rillaboom and Grass types, I know... but being a good kyogre counter/check is SUPER valuable, it can only hit you with Ice Beam, leftovers, or recovery *but it hasn't been used like this for a long time, it's very problematic, worse if you don't have lum berry or the electric field or fog field, sleep at a recently entered dynamax, resist almost any special and moderately physical attack, I think it should at least be a little higher than the rest of the pokes in its category.

Blastoise (-B > +C/C): I find this mon very overrated, currently gastrodom, the occasional tapufini are better, more solid options, it doesn't hold up very well, the previous pokemon has better use and utility than it, but better, its The only good utility that I see is to do gmax, but currently it is no longer worth it, it does not hit as well even with impulses, it only has helping hand and yawn on fini, but nothing more.

Been awhile eh. Been getting back into VGC and just have a quick question, what niche does Ditto have to place in in A-? Ive always loved Ditto as a concept but I dont see how its useful here. Sorry if this isnt the right place for this question :)

Been awhile eh. Been getting back into VGC and just have a quick question, what niche does Ditto have to place in in A-? Ive always loved Ditto as a concept but I dont see how its useful here. Sorry if this isnt the right place for this question :)
You’re potentially getting a third uber when you use Ditto. Mainly it’s used to keep opposing Zacian in check, since if it transforms into it it gets a +2 attack boost. It also does really well against Calyrex-S.

Imo Gmax Charizard should be A or A+
Gmax wildfire is a great move and it gets Max airstream which boosts its speed, I believe sun is still good right now and solar power Is a life orb that instead boosts it special attack by 1.5x instead of 1.3x for every attack and it does 1/8 instead of 1/10 if you're running both solar power and life orb, yikes. also it has good coverage moves that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)