UUTC Round#4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be cool if the two teams with the most votes battled. That way it's less theorymon and more practice. Granted it was to do with the players as well, but...

While I'm not sure that having the two tops teams play one another would be the best idea (since, depending on the given core, it could break down to something pretty close to a mirror match fairly often), though incorporating some level of practical application would be really cool imo. At the very least it wouldn't hurt for the team-builders to offer a couple replays of their teams in action, give an idea of how its meant to be played and whether or not it succeeds in its intended goal. Plus that sort of thing definitely helps out uncertain voters, so the team-builders would be helping their cause by adding in something like that anyway. I'm not all too sure how we could "officially" incorporate that sort of thing (maybe a min-tour of sorts at the end where players use the winning teams?), but it'd be a nice addition for sure imo.

Ok, so this one is ...special.

Magneton @

Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Magneton can fill 2 niches in UU. First is trapping steels but:
a) not every team has a steel type
b) it cannot even kill that many steel types (ferroseed leech seeds on switch, registeel has seismic toss, cobalion has fucking close combat. you can use HP fire against some of those but then you're kind of fucked versus swampert and rhyperior which are more common than steels)

The other role of Magneton is just spamming specs+analytics boosted moves until everything is dead.
This set is pretty straight forward: Tbolt and Flash Cannon as stabs, HP grass to beat Rhyperior and Swampert (and Lanturn which I already see a lot on lol1z's team that is used by every 2nd UU player now). Volt Switch grabs momentum and forms a nice voltturn core with other mons on the team.

Unfortunately, Magneton is weak to fighting and fire and both types are extremely common in the tier. That's where its teammates have to do their job.

Crobat @

Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Cross Poison
- Sleep Talk

ScarfBat!!!
This seems like a super dumb idea since Crobat is not bulky nor it hits hard so you want to run either StallBreaker or the Banded set but actually, the scarfed one isn't that bad of an idea since:
a) UU is full of Heracrosses and Mienshaos running with their scarves and thinking they can force you out with Stone Edge
b) Magneton is weak to fighting types that always outspeed it
c) Electric is weak against grass
Those conditions make Scarf Crobat a great partner for Specs Magneton since you can revenge kill literally everything in the metagame bar scarfed Azelf (the EV spread assures that you always outspeed Joly Scarf Mienshao, the left EVs were put in HP so Crobat lives a bit more [and does cool stuff like being able to switch-in into +1 Ice Punch from Scrafty]).
That makes Crobat a great tool against fighting types. Crobat can also hit and kill weakened fire types like Chandelure or Darmanitan.

Aside of being a revenge killer, Crobat also functions as a potent lategame cleaner because of its insane speed, useful second, no-recoil stab in Cross Poison and the element of surprise.
Brave Bird is main stab, Cross Poison is there to hit resists and clean w/ no recoil. U-Turn grabs momentum. Sleep Talk is there to be able to switch into Sleep Powdering grass types like Roserade or Amoonguss.

Of course, while Crobat can demolish fighting types once it is on the battlefield, it cannot risk switching into Rock-type moves. That's where another part of the VoltTurn core comes in.

Gligar (M) @

Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Pretty straight forward again. A standard Gligar set. Walls physical attackers, sets rocks, u-turns out.

The interesting part is it's 3rd pokemon on the team with toxic immunity. It's really nice since the next 3 hate toxic.

Porygon-Z @

Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 160 Spd / 96 HP
- Agility
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Tri Attack

The reason why Porgyon is here is mainly for opposite Gligars. Of course, Magneton can take those down with Flash Cannon but:
a) Magneton might die
b) Magneton might get locked into other move and then I have no switch-in
c) fucking Gligar might U-Turn out
Agility Porygon-Z solves the 1st 2 problems and benefits on the 3rd one since it can set up on the U-Turn (that's not to say it couldn't just set up on Gligar but less damage from EQ is better).
Porygon also beats living shit out of scarfers once it sets up so it's definitely a good partner for depressingly slow Magneton.

Darmanitan @

Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake

The last scarfer and the last part of my VoltTurn core. Darmanitan is great at forcing switches and maintaining momentum. And aside of that there's not much to say about Darm. It hits fucking fast and fucking hard. Everything that's a good match-up against Porygon, Crobat or Magneton, is a horrible one against Darmanitan (namely special walls in Umbreon and Snorlax that get Flare Blitz'd and Superpower'd respectively).
I run Earthquake and Superpower over Rock Slide and Fire Punch to get those Fire/Ground and Normal/Dark/Ground types. Mainly Snorlax and Victini have proven to be troublesome for the team.
Flying-types are not that much of a problem since they will eventually die to SR and Magneton combined (or only Magneton, that shit reks).

Snorlax @

Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 SDef / 52 Def / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Pursuit

The last part of the puzzle. Snorlax stops Fire types that threaten Magneton and special attackers that threaten Gligar. He's also #1 counter to Chandelure that can eat my Flare Blitzes and use them to boost. Aside of that, my Snorlax has also shown an ability to tank hits and whirlwind opposite teams through SR.

I guess that's it. The team isn't super good (I don't think it's good at all actually). It's fun to play and frustrating to play against though which is enough for me.
I wanted to ladder the team up on a new account to test it more but sadly I have other stuff to do. Hell, just writing this took me around an hour. fml
========

A replay from when I was trying to ladder up my old account to some decent rank:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-54977736 - playing vs someone using lol1z's team. I only now realized that I never gave EV's to Porygon, hence the humiliation coming from the opposite Darmanitan.

Oh, and here's copyable team:
Crobat @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Cross Poison
- Sleep Talk

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Gligar (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 160 Spd / 96 HP
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Tri Attack

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 SDef / 52 Def / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Pursuit

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright. I got what I needed to get done, so I'mma post my team at long last...I would've edited my last post but a new page was made :\ Anyway:

The team:

Brobat (Crobat) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Magnetix (Magneton) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Dasani (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Latifah (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SAtk / 156 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Rick Ross (Snorlax) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Stay Fly (Flygon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

Yeah this team's pretty straightforward, so I guess I'll go into detail, it shouldn't be too difficult to grasp how it came about:

: Well the first part of the core is Crobat, pretty easy to use for a guy like me. The last team I had that featured this core used Sub-Magnet Rise Magneton and Banded Crobat, so I figured I'd try the Stallbreaker set. While I lack the sheer power, I like the survivability and ease that comes with use of the set. I run my personal favorite EV spread of 116 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 136 Speed with a Jolly nature, because like I said in an RMT, I felt long ago that standard Stallbreaker Brobat was doing pittance in terms of damage output. I always used this spread and haven't looked back. He checks Fighting-types, keeps hazard setters and some defensive Pokemon (lol Gligar) in check while hitting hard when it needs to.

: The other half of the core was Magneton. On my last team that used this core, I ended up replacing Magneton with Virizion; I was pretty disappointed in the Sub-Magnet Rise set because as you know, there's a shortage on the market for Steel-types in UU that it reliably ruins. Granted, Bronzong is fairly uncommon, as is Empoleon, I felt it used to be dead weight a lot. So I decided to hop on the bandwagon and look into all the insane hype and craze that is held by Specs Analytic Magneton. I was amazed with how hard this thing is, especially when it comes to nailing special walls on the switch-in. The EVs were a standard spread I dug up somewhere in this UU Forum, but I tweaked 'em a bit so it had enough speed to outpace Defensive Arcanine, after realizing it was a bit of an annoyance for this team. Everything else I could say about Magneton is kind of covered by everyone else: It forms a nice Volt-Turn core with Crobat, it resists all of Crobat's weaknesses, while Crobat is immune to one and 4x resists 2 of Magneton's weaknesses in return. Oh yeah did I mention it hits hard?

: Okay, I wanna admit to you. At first, this guy was a Slowbro. I loved CM Slowbro on this team, and it was SO GOOD at its job! But unfortunately, my team kept getting donked out by Weavile and Sharpedo. To the point I decided to reach for CroCune instead. The only disadvantage it has in contrast to Slowbro that bugs me is it doesn't have Regenerator, which kinda hurts given how much I switch, lol. But anyway, the Crobat + Magneton core's only main uncovered weakness was Fire. And this goes hand-in-hand with how much I try to prepare for Choice Band Victini when I can as of late. My main attacker is able to do a decent chunk of damage to it, my physical wall can survive any hit from the Choice Band set and allow me to switch to gain momentum, and the fact I have one Pokemon who resists Electric, while 2 of them are fully immune. The reason I chose the Calm Mind set on Slowbro (and Suicune by extension) was because I realized my team didn't have a "Win Condition", so to speak. Figured a Slowbro sweep with CM wouldn't be too hard to fit in while still keeping its primary job at the forefront. To this day, it still ain't.

: My boy Trevor Ellis (Shoutouts to Trevor Ellis btw), told me I got too many Fighting-type checks on my team, lol. And he's right when you think about it. But I'd rather be overprepared than suffer the consequences. The true reason why I chose Nidoqueen, wasn't because of her utility to check both Electric and Fighting-type attackers while hitting hard. It wasn't because of the fact I needed a relevant hazard setter by this point (Well, it kinda was but that still wasn't my main reason). It was actually because I wanted a Pokemon who could absorb Toxic Spikes at any time during a match. T-Spikes severely cripple Slowbro, and even though I now have Suicune, who can bypass status thanks to Rest, I still would rather keep Nidoqueen than find a replacement. She's good at what she does, gets the job done, and dishes out pain all around. Not much more needs to be said here. Just givin' the middle finger to most Fighting-types.

: DEEZ BROS WON'T HOLD MY SNACKS. Nah but for real, I chose Snorlax because I could afford to use it given the ability to almost entirely wall a spectrum of attackers by itself. But more importantly it dealt with Chandelure, who could kinda break through my core (if not my whole team so far tbh). I mean, given all the Figthing-type checks on my team, I definitely had room to add one more Pokemon weak to it, and it's totally worth it. I could go on and on about how Snorlax is so good, but I guess I'll explain why I don't use Choice Band over Leftovers on it. It would seem that given I got a Scarfer and a Specs user, I could easily just go grab BandLax and have two nigh-impossible wallbreakers to switch in on to make things easier, but I like the passive recovery, for this team in specific. I have no spinner, so my team gets worn down kinda quickly. Given the popularity of Hail, and the fact that not being able to switch moves can backfire on you incredibly easily, I decided to forgo BandLax and focus just on keeping Snorlax alive. Usually when he falls is when most of my team goes down with it (in some select cases anyway)

: Last but not least, Flygon! He adds some color to this team by making it slightly more appealing to the eyes by not allowing almost everyone to be just blue, gray, and purple (The color of bruises, bro). More importantly, as also covered by practically everyone else, you kind of have no reason not to have Flygon on a team with this kind of a core. The synergy is fantastic, between Flygon's resistance to Fire and its Ground immunity next to Magneton's Dragon and Ice resists. Scarf Flygon, I honestly think people bash this thing too much. People these days like to just win games by spamming moves, hitting stuff up, and watching it slowly crumble to offensive pressure. And nothing's wrong with that, I do the same thing at times. But my team desperately needed a revenge killer, and I snapped to this guy quickly for a few reasons off the top. One, Scarf Flygon's true strength shows during the lategame, where it's often the fastest Pokemon still standing, with a STAB 120-BP move and a STAB 100 BP-move. The only thing outspeeding a Scarfed Flygon is a Scarf Raikou (Points to Snorlax), a Scarfed Mienshao (This is kind of a pertinent threat actually, though I haven't had too many problems with it between Crobat and Suicune), and the rarer-than-shiny-Pokemon Scarfed Azelf (Lol does this thing even get Ice punch?). Secondly, this guy just adds onto the Volt-Turning madness between Crobat and Magneton, though to be honest I don't use or consider this team as a Volt-Turn team. It's just good for getting in, getting out, and dealing with certain Pokemon.

Anyway, that's how I built my team. I got to #25 on the ladder with my alt using this squad, and I'm proud of it because of this. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to really save any replays, I've had some really good games but I guess you'll have to take my word for it. As I said, I don't treat or consider this to be a Volt-Turn team despite half my Pokemon being strong candidates. Most of the time the idea is to switch in, tank a hit, fire back, set up, or gain momentum of your own. In which case I point this toward being somewhere between standard and Bulky Offense. Offensive Pressure against hazard setters is the best way to go. Don't be afraid to lead off with Magneton if you see a RHyperior in team preview, don't be scared to spam Thunderbolt with Magneton (I actually lost a game because I kept playing around a Nidoqueen switch-in and going for Flash Cannon...the damage output shorthanded me once or twice), and do NOT fear the Double Switch. The Double Switch is your ally sometimes, I swear. However I guess it also goes with saying that Hail Stall kind of puts this team on its side, but I'm too lazy to care to change it drastically. It's mainly just Walrein anyway, and that guy's a douche. Walrein is usually hard to break, and given the fact some of my key anti-hail Pokemon are both horribly weak to Ice, it really makes it that much realer to you when you spend half a game trying to play around SubSeed Abomasnow with minimal safe switches in. Actually, Abomasnow in general...kinda annoying for this team. Too lazy to add a fire-type cause I think the team's still good enough anyway.

But yeah, that's my team and a speedy explanation on how all of its components work.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't let Magneton take hits. I got too used to how bulky the Steel Trapper set with Eviolite was, only to see it get 2HKO'd by a Scald from some defensive Water-type. ...Yeah. It also goes hand-in-hand with how fast Magneton gets worn down, so try to make all your plays count with it. He's often your biggest gun against Hail, so...watch for him, mayne.

Enjoi

Alright, so voting time! Ty kitten milk for posting the team <3
Kitten Milk (team)
  Serene_Silk3 (team)
MQJinx (team)
atomicllamas (team)
GULLY (team)
DjEj (team)
CoOlStOrYbRoBaT (team)

Voting closes in 3 days.
Vote only once.
I'm gonna allow voting for yourself for this round, but if I see people just voting for their own team, I'm not gonna allow it.

hf

Reactions: KM

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dang, everybody's team is so good, I found it pretty hard to vote, even for myself. But I guess I'mma put my vote in for GULLY. (Also shoutouts to Kitten Milk for using my homie Cacturne. Might try that team out myself as a means of paying homage)

It would be cool if the two teams with the most votes battled. That way it's less theorymon and more practice. Granted it was to do with the players as well, but...
granted neither of us won or is going to (or is he?) but Serene Silk3 and I played 2 battles with our teams:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-55613830
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-55615022

I don't know who to really vote for either but I guess my vote goes to CoolStoryBrobat for a nice team description and no theorymoning

It's a tough call but gotta go with with the one with the crobat/megneton core.

jkjkjk1jkjk I'm hilarious

Gonna vote for Brobat this round, the nicks sealed the deal on a pretty solid team.

Going CoolStoryBroBat because his name is Green and Purple. So jelly. If I had a purple name, I'd feel at least as swag.

But for reallyz: Going with Kitten Milk's. While I don't like playing RU all that much, I do enjoy using some in UU if they fulfuill nice niche. (I have a team for UU that would be allowed to be used inn RU since it's just Druddgion, Cryogonal, Magneton, Amoonguss, Seismitoad, and Swellow)

I feel that Brobat's team is the only one that really has a solid answer for all of what I feel are the main threats in UU (physical fighting, physical fire, special electric, and Chandelure). I do like the structure of atomicllama's but I'm going to have to give it to Brobat.

I think everyone should test the teams before they vote unless they have a really really good idea of the meta.(like really good) Whats good on paper may not be good in practice, something to think about.(fyi this is no shots fired, im not a bitch nigga)

I think everyone should test the teams before they vote unless they have a really really good idea of the meta.(like really good) Whats good on paper may not be good in practice, something to think about.(fyi this is no shots fired, im not a bitch nigga)
No one has that much time and it unfeasible to have every voter do this. I think we can all be trusted to have in depth ideas of UU's metagame.

Your team is good and I considered voting for it, but one of the reasons I didn't is that although it covers physical threats very well, it's a little exposed on the special side and it has no trustworthy answer to things like specs chandelure, LO meloetta or LO Zapdos.

also, your Golurk could achieve the same stats and then some if you made it adamant and tweaked the defense and attack EVs

I'm not trying to dump on your team or anything, it is good after all, but I feel crobat won this round because of his very effective blend of offense and defense.

Last edited:
No one has that much time and it unfeasible to have every voter do this. I think we can all be trusted to have in depth ideas of UU's metagame.

Your team is good and I considered voting for it, but one of the reasons I didn't is that although it covers physical threats very well, it's a little exposed on the special side and it has no trustworthy answer to things like specs chandelure, LO meloetta or LO Zapdos.

also, your Golurk could achieve the same stats and then some if you made it adamant and tweaked the defense and attack EVs

I'm not trying to dump on your team or anything, it is good after all, but I feel crobat won this round because of his very effective blend of offense and defense.
I agree w/ you. Brobat's team will probably be most consistent than mine and should win this round. I just want to make sure that people test the teams if they dont completely see its use or potential. I think my team can fall into that, but it mostly just for future reference.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
DjEj for sure. Awesome originality (Choice scarf crobat I mean srsly you guys) and it works pretty well to boot. I like how balanced it is over most Volt-Turn teams which are basically 6 frail pokes with decent synergy and Volt-Turn. The focus around P2 as a sweeper is really awesome as it worked great in an environment with hazards and lots of forced switches, and makes it a lot easier for it to set up. Some special attackers + Victini are scary to the team, but it's honestly quite solid.

GULLY: 1,2
Kitten Milk: 1
Serene_Silk3:
MQJinx:
atomicllamas: 1,2,3
DjEj: 1,2
CoolStoryBrobat: 1,2,3,4,5,6

And the winner is......... CoolStoryBrobat!
Idk who I'd have personally voted for, there were many great teams, so gj to anyone who participated!
So the core for next week is:
+

Deadline is in a week.
You can vote for yourself, seeing how nobody voted for themselves.

gl

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
This core is really cool, it can obviously make a neat U-switch core but it can also use darm to lure out counters to subcm raikou like pert and rhyp and weaken them for a late game raikou sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)