UUPL XI - Set & Team Disposal Center

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I had a lot of fun playing bw uu this season, some fun stuff listed below. HUGE shoutout to Tack for all the talking and test games throughout the season, I really appreciate it and it helped a lot. Hope you get a chance to play the tour in UUSD / UUPL, you 100% deserve it

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 2.13.12 PM.png

https://pokepast.es/3770c8c922958542

expected finch to load something fat or offensive and i figured tw + big breakers covered both ends of that spectrum, which it did when i ran into rain. went w torn + sash twave sigi (a set i've used as a "safety net" in BW RU before) as the setters. sd bish looked good into the scout because 0 or 1 scarf hera and little to revenge it because +2 sucker kos shao. spamming strong fast night slash is just good generally, especially with sd mew behind it to help once u break down phys walls. kingdra on for anti-rain bc i dont want my offense to lose to rain, nido on for ground + tspikes + generally being a great breaker on tw
NOTE: consider tanga mew or iron head bisharp, i greeded a little bit because no scarf heras in scout but the team is prob weak to it

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 2.16.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 2.17.17 PM.png

https://pokepast.es/e29edbf4940f4b5e

this was so fun to build and use! i rly enjoyed it. the premise was that:
- sd escav is a good breaker under TR AND pursuits special walls, most notably roserade, to open things up for cofag
- specs victini is a really cool mon that can do a few things. U have the bulk to live 1 hit from the scarf grounds (EVs make modest scarf nido a favorable roll for u). Psychic is a crazy good midground that 2HKOs switches like drud, toad, rhyperior, and if they go zong after learning it's specs u have an escav to freely set up on it. Escav can also pursuit slowking who is the 1 counter to this set!
- flexible speed control and strong breakers just give u a lot of ways to win games and give u a lot of creative options at every game state

team's a lil weak to scarf grounds like krook but nobody uses him. i considered shuca kou. but i rly like it =)

some miscellaneous teams i never used but are still worth giving out probably:
Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 2.26.50 PM.png

https://pokepast.es/6b52b3b1cb8be4ff
https://pokepast.es/a561ed38594b45a6

thought taunt mew and cb drud both looked good vs sw so tried some teams w them week 1. in hindsight the team i actually used in that game was shitty so one of these wouldve been nice

===

some cool sets i wanted to highlight:
Heracross @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

SD hera with edgequake is SO cool for people that rely on slowbro + nido/qwil + zap type cores. just totally busts those balances. cc* is overrated anyways. U can go with ada>jolly for guaranteed qwil KO but i preferred always outspeeding nidoking/togekiss. U can see it put in insane work in a uufpl beatdown by Tack here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5uu-685793

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Protect / Fire Punch

I used this in my week 2 game vs gum: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5uu-678703. My team had a lot of other flaws but I think this set is super cool at setting up on and totally exploiting zong. kinda ripped it from oras/advou but making toxic unusable as a counterplay is rly cool. max attack helps u chunk things like ferro rhyp more heavily before they leech or phase u, and eq ohkoing raikou was big in my game. Fakee also had an offensive curselax vs me, with refresh as the status counterplay, and it was rly threatening there too. you can run fire punch as the 4th if u dont wanna be hard walled by missy and wanna become better vs ferro.

Roserade @ Focus Sash
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

an sm ru tech, ive always thought this thing could be hella threatening at lead but never put something together w it

enjoy bwing!

Last edited:

spell

destined
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
:scizor::weavile::salamence::tinkaton::decidueye::quagsire:
Sleepwalk | Week 7 vs. passion

team i brought vs passion, game didnt really matter much as we were near 100% locked in poffs so i just wanted to build something i thought would be fun. main anchors of the team would probably be off pump mence+ weavile as they cover each others weaknesses fairly well what with mence pressuring things like quagsire, talonflame, alomomola, scizor, etc. that weavile hates to face. quag decid and tink were just fillers to fill in the remaining slots but i do think decids placement on this team is pretty vital in key matchups vs shocks and pawmot. shocks moreso because i think it is the best mon in the tier bar none. they are kind of forced into spamming volt all day long which is great because you dont really want it to be spiking much with this, as this is fairly weak to fairies. if i were to go about building this again with a fresh mind i think id just make the scizor speedy with boots over life orb; lo does not really fit the style well.

the game in question i faced rain which i definitely didnt think was being brought, since i thought passion would surely just try and get the upper hand on me in the game. won but it was a combination of me not making any mistakes (given the matchup) + passion not pushing his offense more.

:scizor::salamence::gastrodon::gardevoir::wo-chien::quaquaval:
theMONDOzone | Didnt use ):

unused. i was going to bring this vs moute but it just did not feel right into wishers+goodstuff as well as i wanted to so i decided to drop it. fine build though, this quaquaval set+scizor and healing wish support from garde puts insane pressure on the opponent and threatens to end games if one mistake is made which i like. but you also have to play aggressive as hell with your hazard plan which i never really liked.

:alomomola::tinkaton::talonflame::sandy-shocks::tyranitar::donphan:
The Estate Sale | Semifinals vs. Moutemoute

def my favourite team ive built and definitely the culmination of 2 months of learning and grinding the tier. after getting thoroughly owned by Lily many times using her alom+espeon team, i noticed how good taunt talon spikes with alomomola could be generally into the wider metagame - shocks already puts mounds of pressure on teams every time it hits the field making it the ideal spiker, with tera grass the most common responses to it (chiefly gastrodon, but spdef hippowdon is a good shout since unlike with tera ice, you are not weak to stone edge) just crumble. add in wish support meaning you can take advantage of the fact that shocks has pretty decent bulk + can come into a lot of things in the tier and comfortably eat almost any attack to get healed up and you get a combination that can just steamroll at preview if your opponent does not respect it too much. cbtar, twave pdef tink, and av donphan were just there to help with the flyers issues that i noticed the team would almost definitely have without them. donphan also ended up being my spinner, too, so it was a generally good mon to put on the build.

i have no real comments on the game besides the fact that i also played really fucking well, up until the lastmon oricorio interaction that will surely haunt me for the next year.

my play was to just taunt (to prevent roost or qd) -> shocks and volt out into alomomola and then go back into shocks to seal the game by KOing it. taunt would not have worn out and shocks easily munches air slash even if he crits me (25%~ roll assuming 0 SPA), as well. overall i am disappointed in myself for tunnel visioning when the sequence was this obvious, especially considering i had the whole timer since i didnt really need to use it on any of the turns besides preview where i thought of my early sequence to get tar in.

shit sucks, but everyone has their bad games. i suppose i cant be too mad about it since i do think i played the better game the entire time, so you live you learn.

Pak TSR thank you for buying me, never regretted a thing. tommy you really held the entire team together pitching in wherever you could, and i appreciate that because going into the tour i thought youd be the inactive type of manager. glad to have those suspicions completely destroyed. pak, your level of play really inspired me to give it my all those two games because man do you play in such a calculated way. u rlly should have been 7-1. grandfather of oras for a reason

pdt without you i would literally not even be on the team at all, so thanks for that. your zen attitude alongside vivs was really instrumental in helping me calm the fuck down before my game since i was really starting to feel the nerves. your insight in all the fairygens is next to nothing, as well. youre one of the best to ever do it in UU and its funny to me how 5-3 from you in my mind is an awful performance, just goes to show how highly i think of you and how successful you are.

Skarph i, like pdt, always knew you were going to do great so when you demolished the regular season in the way you did i was not surprised at all. after w1, you really locked down and made sure to not make the same blunders and your work paid off. its great as a support sub to not have to support at all (nearly) and watch you just do your own thing and succeed. youve been ready for the official spotlight since even before your dominant ubers circuit win, and this definitely just adds another great accomplishment to your already good resume.

vivalospride teamed with you twice, unfortunately couldnt double the rings ): youre one of my favourite personalities ive met in uu for sure, and your sv (when not bringing dog cheese) impressed me. i hope we can team for a 3rd time just because youre such a great guy. thank u for believing in me when even i didnt think i would win, really is appreciated.

Chaitanya calm presence, and won a lot of important games for us. what more could i ask for? thanks for being such a carry along with skarph in the earlier parts of the tour, definitely set us up for success more than anything. ur a good player & a funny guy.

ProDigeZz Ninja didnt talk much, but thank you for holding the fort down in ss

Amukamara you make bw look way too easy with your commitment and precise execution. also made game discussion an entertaining read at times, so there is that. when you played your game today it also calmed me down from the highs because seeing a teammate such as yourself clutch when i thought it was looking dire is no mean feat.

Leru youre hilarious, just wish you won more in dpp! fuck that tier for sure, much better than what your record showcased. was really excited to shoot the shit with you again after capcl and am looking forward to more escapades like that. you and dave should take over uupl for sure next year.

Parpar goatpar!! was really looking forward to seeing you play, and im glad i did since you actually made adv uu entertaining to me (something only safir could do previously...). your ability to just sit down and play your best game even in the face of some luck is admirable, you are for sure an adv mainstay atp.

HSA Celebiii going to lump you two together, thanks for everything in gsc. celebiii especially you really killed it, hoping for you to start next year since you have that clutch gene buried deep within. hsa, wish you played more since you have a great mind but yea, keep working on you.

Monky25 your dedication to sv and ss is noteworthy, thank you for picking up where i could not in the later parts of the tour. i think you do have a good mind for sv just have to hone it a bit before being fully ready for this kind of stage. epic ass webs win though

esche, Sage, Donphantastic, r0ady and even Isza (even though you were completely fucking useless omfg) thanks for everything. esche and donny pitching in to help tsr out in dpp really did help even though the record was shit. zoey i respect u a lot both as a player & a friend and it was nice to see you semi-active. please come back once irl allows you to? seeing you talk in liams channel and provide your insight from time to time was also cool r0ady, fire pfp as well. kaiser ur fucking useless (again) but your presence assured me that we would win (we did not, maybe because of you)

Queen of Bean for sure the goat. thanks for dealing with me spamming games whenever throughtout the entire tour. already talked about this with you the other day, but you can go places considering what you have accomplished for yourself in such a short time being on the site. great person too maybe we can win uu fuck premier league

Lily Lyssa umbry ty for being great human beings and also helping me keep calm when i was definitely going insane at times

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
To be completely honest I didn't particularly want to play ORAS this tour, but pdt was incredible value for his retain price and really wanted to SM. I was like fuck it it's probably our best shot if I'm in ORAS anyway and just hoped I would hate it less than I had been recently. I had never felt more out of an ORAS meta than I was in snake when everyone was just spamming cheese and I couldn't get Gondra many good mus at all. With Slurpuff gone I was a bit more optimistic that it would be enjoyable, along with the fact that the playerbase would be building much more actively. I just counted and apparently built 85 ORAS teams through 8 weeks. Naturally, a lot of them are slight variations of the same concepts, but it did feel like I was building much more than any recent tour. With basically any tour I've ORASd, it usually takes like 4-5 weeks or even less to get fed up with how restricted the meta is and then its all downhill from there. Honestly I never truly ran into that issue this tour and it actually was enjoyable. Feel like I came up with some fresh stuff and wanted to share some of it.

1681701723602.png

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

I think Sylveon is good as shit and is one of the more consistently reliable wallbreakers around. I used this week 1 when I played vs Killintime. He's always been someone to prep for my tendencies much more than other people, so I wanted to make a point to stray away from my usual stuff. I used HO, which anyone who knows me would never ever expect. I wouldn't use this set on a wide variety of teams, but I did like its fit there a lot. I stumbled into the premise when trying to think of things that abuse reliance on Dragon Tail Slowking. Sylv gets way more subs than you would expect, and it can snowball pretty quick in the right matchups and especially if they drop Roar on Emp. The set itself is pretty self explanatory, but yeah I had Spikes and this hits basically everything other than Steels. Probably not the most consistent set ever, but more than good enough to bring to a one-off best of one.

1681702204411.png

Entei @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

This set is a little dumb but I actually am pretty convinced it has a place. So here was the premise. I'd been hearing a lot of Mandibuzz slander in the months leading up to this tour, and part of me was like dog people just don't use Mandibuzz right a lot of the time. The standard buzzard set has a pretty bad one on one matchup against Seismitoad and the guys in a vacuum, but if you sling status on them, you squarely win the 1v1 and keep Off. This is another big reason why Slowking is so good next to Mandibuzz. It's very rarely a bad lead, and one of the only real 'switch ins' is toad. So basically, I was like yo for that exact reason, Entei Mandibuzz always sounded kinda heat to me, along with the positioning vs Fairies too. That resulted in a 6 I liked, but I had no speed. I was like yo fuck it. If we're being real, the vast majority of Entei's breaking potential just comes from it burning everything. You do that whether its boosted damage or not. There was a good amount of surprise factor through tests and all that which certainly helped it, but this mon did perform well enough for me to use it. Leads into Shao and whatever else and is not as telegraphed of a Scarfer as say Darm. Honestly a solid mon.

1681702616163.png

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- U-turn

Not the most groundbreaking thing ever, but I ended up using this on my Qwilfish Mamo team. I used A LOT of offensive grounds this tour between Mega Swampert and Mamo there, and the biggest hurdle team wise was always "how do I not lose to a lead Slowking" since it actually does have a hilarious amount of good one on one matchups. Using one of the breaker guys implies you not using Seismitoad, so finding a real switch-in is harder than it sounds. My solution was put Toxic on Mandibuzz. Flips a lot of its usually not good one on one matchups, kind of as I touched on earlier. Defog wasn't super important for my team that was trying to stack hazards myself. Still pivots and shit. Nothing crazy but a cool set.

1681702835528.png

ACCESSCODE (Heracross) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

I might've posted about this set like years ago but I ended up using it this tour and was pleasantly surprised with it again. Heracross is such a good early game mon with how much immediate damage it does and how many good 1v1 matchups it has. Very few mons both outspeed and threaten this mon, and AV skews that even further. Like, you're staying in on Specs Hydra and the boys. Aside from that, having Knock and Edge on the same set is so fucking nice. I'm not a fan of SD Edge at all anymore with Knock having so much general utility. However, Bat is bigger than it has ever been, so you always kind of want the immediate pressure on it. SD is still good of course, but theres a bit more give and take than there was before. Also, boosting in general is much less crucial than it was in the past. There used to be Florges everywhere and things were much bulkier overall. Stuff like it and Gligar are kind of annoying if you do run into them, but otherwise, you can just click moves and basically threaten everything. I only had Jolly here because I was scared of Garde, but its hard to go wrong with Hera in general. Mon is god.

1681703165904.png

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Zen Headbutt
- Synthesis

The funniest thing about this tour is that ORAS somehow someway became an unironic "Virizion meta". I used this thing like 4 times all with some permutation of STABs, SD, Edge, Zen, or Synth. However, I basically always had STABs and SD. On my Molt Absol team, somehow this set just felt the best, and fuck is it good in the right setting. Basically, I had Seismitoad for Scald absorbing, and I had Molt and Absol for Wisp absorbing. There was no real need for Lum, and this thing hits surprisingly hard with unboosted LO. I needed the defensive utility bad but still wanted the coverage. This set just kind of happened. Still largely does what you need it to aside from sweeping itself. There are a good amount of funny things you can do with this, like double into a Roserade and insta kill it, or do the same with something like Shao, which ordinarily eats any hit from full. Dank mon and a cool little spin on it.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
infernape @ fist pl8
ability: iron fist
evs: 252 atk / 4 spD / 252 spe
adamant/jolly nature
-swords dance
-close combat
-fire punch
-mach punch

i was torn between running adamant or jolly because each of them had their own pros and cons (ended up running jolly to outrun celebi and shao), but i had a list of adamant nature calcs that showed how surprisingly strong this fire monkey hits against a variety of targets that had me considering it to begin with. unfortunately it didn't get to show its full potential vs wanka, but when it gets that swords dance up against opponents missing a crobat, odds are that it might just wipe the floor all in one go.
-1 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Krookodile: 354-416 (106.9 - 125.6%)

+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%)
+1 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 200-236 (60.4 - 71.2%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 204-241 (67.7 - 80%)
+2 252+ Atk Iron Fist Infernape Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 253-298 (70.2 - 82.7%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 288-340 (71.2 - 84.1%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise-Mega: 280-331 (77.3 - 91.4%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile-Mega: 226-267 (80.4 - 95%)
+2 252+ Atk Iron Fist Infernape Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 260-308 (80.7 - 95.6%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 285-337 (82.8 - 97.9%)
+2 252+ Atk Iron Fist Infernape Fire Punch vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 310-366 (84.6 - 100%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 288-338 (88.8 - 104.3%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 270-318 (91.5 - 107.7%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 270-318 (88.2 - 103.9%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 316-373 (91.8 - 108.4%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 200 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 382-450 (95.2 - 112.2%)
+2 252+ Atk Fist Plate Infernape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mandibuzz: 420-495 (99.2 - 117%)
+2 252+ Atk Iron Fist Infernape Fire Punch vs. 104 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 340-402 (103.3 - 122.1%)

mienshao @ assault vest
ability: regenerator
whatever av shao ev spread yall use
jolly nature
-high jump kick
-knock off
-u-turn
-rock tomb

rock tomb is a hilarious 4th move that i originally intended to counter the shit out of slurpuff/hyper offense in general, but it also has the nasty trait of fucking over crobat a lot harder than stone edge would ever achieve. maybe i'll eventually run into other endgame scenarios where my winning play is to slow the opposing threat for one of my teammates, but for now i'm perfectly satisfied with the anti-crobat theatrics here.

heliolisk @ wise glasses
ability: dry skin
evs: 4 def / 252 spA / 252 spe
timid nature
-thunderbolt
-hyper voice
-grass knot
-volt switch

shoutouts to Sage for the brilliant item idea, because wise glasses allows gk to outright ohko standard rhyperior and seismitoad spreads. anyways i had the intent to just fuck around with something unusual week 4, and i thought it had a great matchup vs elfuseon until it took a fat 45% from offensive crobat's u turn. now i truly understand why people don't use this flimsy ass lizard anymore.

drapion @ black glasses
ability: battle armor
evs: 252 atk / 4 spD / 252 spe
jolly nature
-toxic spikes
-knock off
-poison jab
-pursuit

i almost loaded this set instead of the og daddy set, and, trust me when i say this, i would have triggered killintime's drapion trauma again if he switched his nidoking into a 65% knock off and got promptly picked off by pursuit the following turn, as opposed to the 41% i actually did.

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey lads I am here to talk about what might be my last trip to oras,

Expulso wanted to see some posts so I thought I'd throw some crud in. Unfortunately a lot of killin teams are pretty hard to pilot since they're kind of tailor-made to my playstyle, but ill talk about what I learned, didn't get to use, what I found to be decent.

So ill start things off with some team choice:
1682313450306.png

So being used by me in multiple UUPLs now, its the snowy expedition squad, it started off with me watching some dudes in DPP use some annoying hail stall squad and me wondering if I could do something with hail in oras. Eventually it led to me forming a team with aboma+2 overcoat users+1 magic guard+a safety goggles bat and obviously the joke here is seisma is the only one out here freezing.
The core itself is quite slow so I attempt to mend the issue by giving mons like reuni a tanga berry to lure in heracross so its not too painfully obvious im harding crobat every time.

The next team ill ramble about is:
1682313823323.png

Now this pert set has been used a few times by me this UUPL and I think it deserves a bit of a showcase:
Thicc-shiba (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Now I won't give you guys the EVs because im petty that way, but lets just say its really fat while hitting specific benchmarks. I think pert in general has been underutilized over the oras years and I am glad to see it see some sunshine this time around. With that thing around I felt more comfortable with running AV king to soft check coba and shit while making me a lot more comfy versus nido pressure/hydreigon. now I needed to fit rocks and I still wanted to take advantage of oras burn, so to that end I wanted to give ape a chance...and ill do you all a solid since I received this kind of message like 9 times this UUPL:
1682315511747.png

Sorry to disappoint you lads, but instead of the usual col spread I try to create this crap was just max/max with fist plate to guarantee some KOs on mons like mienshao/coba etc... I guess you could go slower but hear me out...just burn your counters and use your tiny niche in outspeeding shao to ruin its day.
Helping (Infernape) @ Fist Plate
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Slack Off
- Close Combat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

Last team ill talk about, despite losing with it is one of my favorites and has become a real go to when people needed test games versus me over the tour:
1682314097059.png

As pak talked about, oras burn has been getting disgusting with the meta shifting towards less clerics. So I experimented with double wisp cores:
retired feli (Houndoom-Mega) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
Manager Noah (Jellicent) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
The idea was to try and give me a better MU versus HO by having something disruptive and quick that wasn't normally prepared for like mega aero.
I should go further to preface that pretty much any sylveon I use isn't cleric, thats just a shittier florges tbh.

Now as for what I learned this UUPL:
So over the weeks I came to realize just how strong a lot of mons that we wrote off were simply because building with them is a pain in the fucking ass.
1682314644665.png

Mr.Aldo (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
For the longest time people were forcing themselves to run garbage like bounce on this thing, but really all it really ever needs is fall+eq. Gyara's typing and sheer attack stat has won me a ridiculous amount of games single handedly. And honestly many of what we consider to be capable counters/checks to gyarados can be beaten with simple set changes. I've gone as far as running waterfall/Crunch/Stone edge to take advantage of people who spam mandi+king cores. Damn thing can 1v1 a jelli if its not running night shade and you're a sub set who gets decent eq rolls.

I've disrespected this mon over the year...and I still will without fail... HOWEVER its been gaining a lot of traction in the recent meta with the rise in usage of virizion. This cursed ball of disappointment carries a metric fuck ton of utility and can do whatever you really want it do with it. Sometimes it'll just die to a wet breeze and others it'll control the entire game. Stun spore, leech seed, psychic lure, knock off, taunt, encore, uturn, trick, high speed, fairy typing. All this and more tied together with prankster make for a decent enough package to get the job done.
1682315007941.png

Moute JR. (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Knock Off

Once again gratz to the idols to winning and thank you for my managers Shiba and Thisbemyalt for putting up with my shit and generally depressive attitude. I live my life constantly battling my lack of self worth due to the many failures and traumas I have experienced over the years so its hard for me to accept I might be good at anything, but that doesn't give me an excuse to ruin your days. The 7-2 record goes out to all the support and love the smashers had for me. To my opponents I appreciate you for sitting it out with me and respecting me in the builder, may we meet again as comrades next time.
kuga-yuma-world-trigger.gif

I may have had a game where the dumpster fire known as bronzong actually took control and won me a game...BUT I REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE ITS VIABILITY AND EXISTENCE!

i dont wanna post all the things i cooked up because i do intend to use them in uu snake if i play that, but i did have a fun time building adv this tour, and i think the meta is in a pretty fun state rn - will post the pokepastes unedited because w/e. i technically could talk about the team of mine used week 1 by rozes but i already kind of did that last time. also im using those custom pmd portraits cause theyre cute and its fun so if u dont like it eat a frank

one thing to note here is that a majority of these teams were used by my adv teammates during uu snake 2, they just happened to fit the bill of what was wanted, and were adapted a bit in movesets to fit the current meta a little better.

week 4:

garay wanted a walrein team to use vs lpz - walrein has fallen off pretty heavily over the last two years, with super spdef kangs becoming the norm, ampharos being on nearly every team as of late, and various other things like lanturn becoming better and mons that walrein switches in on running thief. it still is quite potent though imo, and curse walrein is probably one of the best fat breakers in the tier because after a boost or two anything that isn't an electric is not gonna kill it without a crit or coming in on a rest turn and boosting alongside it. you can probably tell this teams pretty 2021 pilled because of counter ampharos, which has fallen off a cliff. not that it's bad or anything, it's just that sequencing can be kind of annoying sometimes especially if you fail to pop it correctly, and having another slot over it can net you more consistent value. not much else to say here, but garay did use wish over eq on kanga. that's probably fine, can help the other bulky guys out.

week 5:

i thought that lpz's silk scarf arcanine set that he used week 1 was pretty neat, so naturally i was inclined to build it for arctic to use against him. game was uh quite wacky...but i'm quite satisfied with how this team turned out. rain dance oma is really, really, fucking good, it just means that you cant use a super fat oma and relying on hydro can be kinda cringe, so the way you have to use it changes more than you'd like. but with arcanine netting some nice damage on tenta and lanturn switches, coupled with spikes oma can be lethal late game. not much else to say here, counter gligar might be wacky, you can replace it with literally anything.

another team from uu snake, this was built back when i had a major craze for cm lunatone because, despite thinking it was a shitmon for the entire year up to that point (it still kinda is lol), psychic is pretty much the best offensive typing in the tier and it can have some neat openings. it fucking sucks defensively for the most part, but it is one of the best non iron tail gligar switchins, which is valuable in its own right. originally, it had twisted spoon because i do value muh 1.1 or whatever it is, but leftovers is like fine too and it is what rozes used in his game. plume was originally the classic demonplume, but during uupl this year i had theorized sleep powder on swords dance plume, kinda for shits and giggles. it can have some funny mid game "utility", and the prospect of an ampharos or an arcanine or haunter bla bla bla gettng slept can be good progress. i think at this point though, if i were to run swords dance plume it might be best just to run hp grass because oma harding in on you as soon as they see swords dance, knowing damn well that they can win 1v1 otherwise, is really jarring.

week 6:

right before arctics game vs shiba, he was like hey give me band mon team and im like yeah ok. band azu is really fucking strong, and isnt a terrible lead, though it does stink that it cant ohko ampharos..but there are good enough countermeasures for it on this team if you plan to play the short term game. but its a fun mon! originally back in 2021 i had put on hp flying for going nuclear on plume, but since people were on a misdreavus kick this tournament, i figured itd be ok. "checks" slowking too i guess. then we have band kanga to add on to the hurt, unfortunate that it cant outrun arcanine and haunter unless the former is modest, but whatever, it outruns everything else in the awkwardness of the tier's speed up until 295. you very obviously have to get your turns right, but if you do, there's big payoff. if you really wanna go crazy, you could make gligar band and then use band nidoking (...or band queen?) over this current queen set, but i don't trust myself enough for that.

don't have any sets that were tested out thoroughly to post here this time unfortunately, but i do enjoy the meta a lot rn. i don't see it changing super heavily if and when jumpluff and arena trap get voted on - kind of think ill free diglett because i feel like building a good diglett team is impossible, but trapping is still not fun to introduce whatsoever so idk. anyway thanks for reading as usual

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)