Tournament UUPL VII - Finals - Won by the Ruin Valley Rangers

Beat Lycans again in a gg

Shoutout TDK , I learned how to build efficient UU team structures and gained otherwise useful knowledge thanks to watching him build and talk about the tier during SPL, I've been stealing all of his spreads for this pl & thanks for looking over my first two teams also;

Shoutouts to my team for placing enough faith in me to pick me up and eventually allow me to play the tiebreaker/use w/e throughout the season, I've always trusted you guys I really warmed up to all of you :)

bring it home bros kaori Shiba :psysly:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
first off, ggs and congratulations to the rangers. this series certainly didn't go the way we wanted but you guys are a very good team.

idols, i think we played amazingly. few things didn't go our way but that's just how the game works. this was my first team tour and my first uupl and you guys really welcomed the new player on the team and dispelled a lot of the negative rumors i had heard about these tours. you guys made it a lot of fun for the first-timer. i managed to go 4-2 in mid-bottom of the sm playerbase which was more than I could ask for, but it's mostly due to my teammates and a some people id like to shoutout rn

Sage - thank you for picking me when i was relatively unknown in the tour scene, you really taught me a lot abt these things and you were the most supportive and best manager, you helped everyone test and helped me with my teams each week :D

#freeyeezy - my best uu buddy and goat player shame he had to get shot down in the smogtours disc battlefield, we had so many tests together and u helped me every week i played, my dawg

ht charm shib manip- you guys are awesome sm players i really learned a lot just by watching you guys go to work, really fun to get to know yall

fatty, kaori mazz, king tedworth, chillGOAT- you guys r monsters in your respective tiers and it was a lot of fun getting to know yall better, this one has to sting kaori but you were amazing all season and i hope u come back after that one year hiatus, and i hope i get the chance to play w yall again sometime

alfons - ur a fucking monster and never complained when u were subbed into some rando tier, also a cool person :D

viv martha misa - thanks for adding to our monster sm core support, all fantastic ppl

bugzi - u are an awesome dude and really gave us a bw dream team, thanks for helping us :]

thank u again to my teammates and i hope to be back again next yr

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
nothing like a 50/50 roll to prevent rocks and a 95% move miss to lose the tour

Thanks idols and ggs to everyone except the enemies of fun who brought stall this uupl, you know who you are

edit: i guess people didn't realize this was sarcasm :psygrump:

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Shoutouts to all the rangers. Everyone was clutch as fuck in one way or the other and in terms of stepping up after dropping games, nobody came close. Enjoy the undefeated life boys you deserve it. Fucking top1 chat as well I hope we all stay in touch. Good dudes, good memes, what’s not to like?

S/o to the homie Pak for being the best manager in the tour by a mile. Ik we both wear our hearts on our sleeves in terms of oras because I didn’t have the best tour, but this was fucking deserved as Fuck so fuck it ig. I told you I had a good feeling, enjoy this one brother.

S/o Pearl, self explanatory, goat, you know Your worth

Ggs

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well done to the Rangers, if anything the best team to lose to. Disappointed to come this close two years in a row, but that's Pokemon.

Idols super proud of you all, don't have much to say that I haven't told you already. Super great team spirit, y'all as much of a family as the real avengers :blobuwu: fuck fagtron for being a hipster

Obligatory #freeyeezy

To everyone in UU, thanks for a fun year plus. Be it in tours, with the council, or forum contributing, always was proud of this community.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
jesus fucking christ

Hopefully all this doesn't end up sounding too cringey considering this is an unofficial subforum premier league and this will probably just be a jumbled mess of thoughts, but it's hard to sum up how much this means to me. This really is where it all started with this doofus post from way back, where shockingly I wasn't picked as just another UU room random, but it motivated the shit out of me to see my 2 closest friends at the time, shiba and r0ady, get spots. 2015 UU Open rolls around and that was my mini "breakout" and as stupid as it may sound, I wanted more than anything to be picked in the next UUPL and I figured that run could accomplish just that. Anyway not to go too too far into details but the next year, I did in fact get picked, albeit with a shitty start, but I rallied back to a 3-3 record with a win in finals. Despite the fact that I was legit terrible playing/building wise at the time, that remains one of my favorite games I've ever played, even though we ended up losing the tour in the end. It's crazy to think how far I've come whether it's my approach/improvements in the game itself, or stuff like maturity that naturally develops over time in these 4 years. Anyway moving on to next year; that was my true breakout performance, going 7-1 and most notably catching the attention of Pearl, whom I helped grab a W in finals. However, my team again came up short, but this time in semis. Weird tangent but another thing that's interesting to me is how quickly you can shift from caring about your own performance vs the team's overall performance. It's been a night and day difference since I started in that regard.

Anyway, catching Pearl's attention obviously helped me in breaking into the official tour scene later on, and I undoubtedly wouldn't have stuck with mons at all had he not encouraged me to play for him in SPL 9. Unfortunately, this started a chain of events that is hard to look back in pleasantly. Despite a great performance in the regular season, I closed the playoffs 0-2, as we came within 1 winner-take-all-game of the trophy. Obviously, this hit me pretty hard and I was more motivated than ever to finally feel some real success when it matters. UUPL 2018 comes around, I'm back with HT and Shiba for the 3rd time in a row, and again, we come up short in semis as I drop another important game. Blah blah snake rolls around. Same shit as SPL 9 in a nutshell. I did really well early and faltered heavily down the stretch, featuring an inexplicable choke in my last, 100%-should-have-been-won finals game. So maybe by now you see a theme here. To counteract strong performances, I've always had a hard time closing out important situations. While I do believe I wouldn't be the player I've become today if it hadn't been for these stumbles and the added motivation that followed, it didn't hurt any less to come up short so many times, while giving this dogshit game so much effort over the years.

So that's where this all comes full circle. This is where it all started, and I'm infinitely happy me and my team were finally capable of sealing the deal (and to do so undefeated at that). Sure, I didn't play myself, but I can without a doubt say I gave this tournament all I had. I truly loved this team and had a blast, and I wouldn't have had any regrets over the 26k lines I had, win or lose. Hopefully this all made some semblance of sense to those reading this wall of text, but anyway, on to the shoutouts. We actually ran out of pins in the first general chat and had to make a new one, so I'll try to grab some of these goons' best moments throughout the tour below as well.
Accelgor - AKA manager 2. Alright so I won't pretend I wasn't heavily disappointed when I logged on from work and saw that, not only were we going to a tiebreak, but you brought Liepard cheese to your game to add insult to injury. You were also ridiculously unlucky throughout the whole season, but I have 0 regrets with picking you from day fucking 1 to team with. Record aside, you were everything I could've hoped for. Your general positivity and the ability to help every slot, particularly old gens, if needed is quite literally an unmatched commodity in this tournament. Beyond what you did for us on the Pokemon side, I knew for a fact you would care a lot and that you would help foster a friendly and inclusive environment, which honestly I'm unsure if I would be able to pull off by myself. I know this game hasn't been too kind to you by any means over the years, and whatever path you choose in the future I'll respect it, but you do have the potential to reach the highest heights if you want to shoot for it. I'll be there every step of the way if needed.

Gondra - my boy. I met you way back in SPL 9 (haha throwback to the above), and that tour put your potential as a player on full display. At the time you weren't too consistent, but you've definitely improved since then, and it eventually turned out that you were an absolute monster at UU. It didn't surprise me in the slightest given your general skill level and ability to pull triggers on aggressive plays. Anyway, beyond that, it was great to have you around. Whether it was entertaining my 50+ line rants when planning or being there to make everyone laugh here and there during the season, it was great to team with you again after the dumpster fire that was SPL X (and to finally win one). Maybe some day you'll pick up the english past tense tho.

Lycans - It kinda goes without saying, but obviously this tour wasn't what you're capable of as a player. I'm willing to accept some of the blame there as your manager but sometimes stuff just doesn't go your way in this game. I could tell from early early on that you truly wanted to help this team succeed, but other (mostly irl) factors got in the way and there's no one to blame for that. Given your skill ceiling, I have no regrets retaining you at that price or putting you in the tiebreaker at the end. Dw about anything bro, you're still a beast and I'm glad you got to show that again in some of the later weeks. I knew benching you after the rough start would be a mistake and you did more than enough to justify my decision there imo. Stick with it and you'll keep dominating UU or whatever else you want to in the future.

Raichy - Alright time to come clean LOL. Going into the auction, I had no idea this man played ADV, and it was kind of a leap-of-faith pick after PIF luckily upbid me on 2 other goons. I saw raichy was doing p well in RUPL at the time and said fuck it. It turned out you were flipping ADV UU jesus, as well as a great great dude to have around. I know your english isn't great, but you didn't let that prevent you from being an amazing chat presence. Always positive, always on top of your shit. Hell, your ridiculous skill ceiling was p much just icing on the cake. Going into the tour, I wasn't a fan of ADV UU as a whole, but you brought a fresh take and some fire plays, and made it a hl for me every week to watch. I know you'll dominate whatever tier to take up next, so gl with that. But first, let's win wcop with the 2 lads above yn

alive - the other half of the gone-for-5-years core that carried this team. As a whole, you were pretty quiet and unfortunately I couldn't realistically do anything to help you, so I mostly just watched you and ark grind away in the gsc channel here and there. Going into the draft, I made sure to scout out of some the gsc pool, which mostly came from the unofficial GSC UU cup a while back. Peeped some replays, and long story short, you just seemed like a dude who was clearly competent, had a strong interest in the tier, and seemed like a great guy on top of that. All those seemed to hold over into this, as you eventually grabbed the best record in the tier as well as a win in the deciding game. Not much else to say man, great to have you around and thanks for the all the wins.

Jarii - oh man god damn. I've known you for a long time from tournaments room stuff but we've never gotten the chance to team up till now. To be quite honest, working with you was a bit frustrating at times mainly due to team picks, but at the end of the day, if I gave you all the hard hitters you would slay everyone. It was p clear from the start that you did genuinely care about this tour, evidenced by your active chat presence, help with scouting every week, and ofc the record you ended up with. You surpassed any expectations I had going in, be it in your games or in the chat making everyone laugh. This was fun bro, hope we get to team again in the future.

Kushalos - I obviously wish you had been more active, but I mean, it weirdly worked out? I'm pretty sure every time you subbed out, we won that same slot without fail, including the finals tiebreak where you randomly showed up drunk and I was about to go ballistic. Regardless, you're one of the most steady hands in this tournament, and that's why I was pretty keen on getting you from the start. The flexibility you and accel offered just between you two gave us a lot of room to play w things till we found the right blend in the lineup. Anyway, this man's season can be summarized in 1 log from semis.

goes and wins in 10 turns

@
Leru - this is pretty much going to be a carbon copy of the one I gave you in snake, but your ability to play legit any tier and do so at a high level is utterly bananas. What you did this season, especially when subbing in 14 times, was more than I ever could've asked, yet I'm not surprised in the slightest. While I figured it would be mostly for the Venezuelans, there could not have been a more perfect utility sub for this team. While I may have to ignore more cat girl pics than I'm comfortable doing, there might just be something to what you told me earlier re: us not losing a tour while teaming together, so let's keep teaming up?

Wanka - Like with Leru, I said a lot of this in my snake win post, but regardless of your performance, you're one of my closest friends on here and it's been really fun teaming up again. I mostly credit your lackluster record to my own laziness this time around, but as shown by last year, you really are capable of dominating the pool and I wouldn't rather have anybody else manning ORAS for my team. Unfortunately, it's a dog shit meta and my motivation in building fresh stuff did take a hit, especially towards the end, and I want to apologize for letting you down in that regard. In the mean time, keep slaying tinder thots or whatever else you got going on sir.

Darksafadao - oml yugioh council member safa. I met you a decent while back when you were first getting your feet under you as a mons player, and your improvement in that timeframe has been huge. I wish I could've gotten you in more, but our team was pretty crowded SM wise so unfortunately that could not be the case. Regardless, your positive attitude never faltered and your presence was flipping fantastic through the whole thing. As for the later stages, I want to apologize here as well for not giving your thoughts and opinions the time they deserved. I can tend to be a control freak at times and towards the end tbh I was just really frustrated and wanted to take on everything myself. Hopefully I didn't discourage you, as you're another person who has a lot of potential if you choose to pursue it. I'll always be here to help and keep doing you bro.

Indigo Plateau - Tough tour, shit happens. I know you had a lot going on, especially early on in the season, and I can't really fault you if this game wasn't your main priority. You're obviously capable of better, and as I said w Lycans, just gotta stick with it and keep your head up. Things don't always go your way and it's just how things are. Beyond that, I can't speak highly enough of your attitude after moving to the bench towards the later parts of the season. Your dedication to the team was completely undeniable, and I can't thank you enough for taking some of the building load off me during portions of the tournament. Not the best performance by any means, but this dude was a great guy to have around Pokemon wise and chat wise.

Hikari - tbh I wish you were a bit more transparent when it came to teams and scheduling and stuff, but it was great to have you around. You were another person where things continually didn't go your way, but you stuck through it and gave us some high quality play, regardless of other factors that took place. Hell, after that Liepard game I would've left the chat and everything mons related. Anyway, hope to see you playing more in the future bro and gl w it if Venezuela permits. Also you're a weeb and it's easier to just accept it.

Santu - I got you for a reason and I do believe you're a strong player, but things just didn't work out tbh. It's mostly on me for overstocking our new gen players a bit too much, which left you with less playing time than I would've preferred, so I apologize for that. You were pretty quiet too but hopefully you had some fun here and there and in the games you did play. Gl with all you got going on otherwise in the future my man.

Azelf lives Pursuit from 152 Atk Aero

Ark - We've been friends a long long time now and now that I think about it, have we ever formally teamed? I'm fairly sure we haven't although you're no stranger to helping me in random things and generally being a great dude to talk to. Aside from Accel at the end, you were the only person in the chat besides Alive that had a true sense of GSC UU, so your help was p much invaluable there. Additionally, your ideas in ADV, ORAS, and SM were, as usual, really creative and interesting and I'm definitely glad I got to talk mons w you again. Thanks again for always having my back when it comes to mons, or looking over my draft plan the day before, or other over-dramatic self pity, or w/e else man. It's much appreciated.

Thisbemyalt - Man, idk where to flipping start. All of the things I could potentially say are basically implied so I'll give the jist for the fine readers. This dude doesn't play Pokemon and hasn't for like 3 years but I still talk to him every day whether it's for my doofus jokes or about all my dumb problems and all the other shit. Probably one of the my best friends online or irl, hopefully we meet up sometime sir.

Pearl / Eyan / Donphantastic / Killintime / suapah / YABO - I'm lazy at this point but thanks to all you goons for joining the chat and contributing in some positive way. Didn't end up actually teaming with any of you for one reason or another but ye it was cool talking to all of you again. Pearl, dad. Eyan, thank you for the meme support and maybe some day you can help me shed the dreaded title of "homesteader". Carlos, we've been over this, but I'm sorry I didn't get you although it worked out for both of us in the end. Hope to see more from you in the future. Killinryan you use some wild shit and it was refreshing to see in ORAS, gl with your cousin tomfoolery. Suapah thanks for saying things sometimes and discussing your tinder adventures w us. Something something meme lord YABO.

Btw these finals were a trainwreck and led to this last log from me.

ggs to the idols, I'll possibly see you all next year but idk for sure

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)