UUFPL III: Epilogue - Captain Ursula's Last Rites and the Great Beautiful Universe - Won by Gilderoy Lokix!

Monky25

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
UUFPL 3: From the Journals of Captain Ursula S.V. Upshaw
1684770244894.png

(art by Fusion Flare)
Tournament Rules and Guidelines
Spreadsheet | Commencement/Admin Thread | Season Schedule

Hello readers, it is Mankey the 25th, a scientist and researcher studying the ancient history of our world. A recent discovery in Klam's Labyrinth of U. Dunder Oozed has revealed a sealed journal belonging to the infamous Captain Ursula S.V. Upshaw. Her storied travels were considered children's myths until this actual relic was uncovered by the 973rd Expeditionary Force. For the first time in our storied history, we received, over many weeks, a direct, personal glimpse into the captain's travels. And the findings were truly remarkable. We decided to seek out Gengardo for a direct source of any more adventures that were not documented in the journal. Currently, I am taking over our journal log duties after my coworker (emphasis on coworker not friend) Big Fat Scyther injured his hand talking to a Dudunsparce. This might be the very end of our long journey to find the secrets of the universe.

Epilogue- Captain Ursula's Last Rites and the Great Beautiful Universe
1685375416046.png

We arrived at a lone lighthouse near the coast. The chamber of light and darkness should be here according to the map, but it seems too odd. Then again, from what we’ve read in Captain Ursula’s journal, odd seems normal at this point. Entering the lighthouse, we saw broken furniture and paintings that were blurred out. The word “Help” was painted on the wall in red, and I don’t want to check what was used to write it. Scyther found a can of beans, and they were freshly open. Someone had been here. We then hear a creak, like a door opening. Turning around, we saw no one, but a door to what I presumed was the basement. It wasn’t there when we went in. We’re almost at our destination though, and this wasn’t as scary as our boss’s relationship issues that he made us listen to while on our BREAK, so we went forward….

We could see nothing but darkness. I accidentally tripped Scyther. He grabbed the nearest object to hit me with it, but then it caught on fire. It must have been some torch that activates with contact! Then, with our surroundings illuminated, we saw only a narrow hallway that was almost meant for only two people to walk side by side in. We started to walk, first seeing “Help” on the wall again but then other words like “run” and “escape.” I wrote the word “sus” on the wall for anyone who may explore this place after us. Then, we saw the biggest surprise since Chris Pratt was casted as Mario. It was a mural of all of Captain Ursula’s adventures compiled into one! Her interaction with the Brute Bonnet, her escape from the Iron Moth fighters, and her final showdown with the Iron Bundle of death were all depicted as it was in the journal. Did someone find the journal before us? Was it Gengardo instead? We had so many questions that led to a single answer that was so close.

As we walked away from the central mural, we saw Ursula’s adventures painted on the wall again. They were in reverse order from the chapters, starting with her final showdown. We hear dripping, and look up on the ceiling to see “THE END IS BEGINNING. BEGINNING OF THE END.” At this point we’re on the verge of crying in a corner so we take off, accidentally dropping the torch. We hear wicked laughing, what horror! We eventually made it to a clear area that had light after running for what seemed like hours. Then, a stone pillar pops up and blocks the exit! This time, we hear a calm voice. “Come my children, and I will show you everything.” The ceiling begins to open and the night sky starts changing to all sorts of colors rapidly. The two of us witness the sight of the heavens splitting, with sirens blasting and trumpets blowing. So many sounds and colors, we began to know everything!

And then, there was no sound. I couldn’t hear myself think, nor breathe, and I assume Scyther felt the same way. Nothing is around us, except a staircase. “Come” the voice calls. We walk, and walk, and walk, and walk some more, then play basketball where I slam dunked in Scyther’s stupid fat face, then walk some more until we reach the highest plane of existence. We see the voice calling to us. It was Arceus! We were marveled at its appearance, asking so many questions like how the universe was made, what lies after death, and when will the IRS raid our facility. However, Arceus says this knowledge is not meant for anyone else, and we have already learned too much. Captain Ursula was a temporarl schism; someone that isn’t affected by the flow of time. An oddity. She was around for billions of years, and Arceus sacrificed many timelines to destroy his failed creation until he eventually succeeded. “Now” he claimed, “with your deaths all will be right.” He used judgment, but we did quadruple backflips to avoid them. We both pulled out our phones and called our biggest haters to team up with us.

Scyther called the Lokix who have a kill on sight order for him for simply asking them a question, and I called the Spidops who owed me money. I shit you not, within 5 seconds they were there. 12 Lokix, 12 Spidops, a big Fat Scyther and the 25th Mankey against the creator himself. As the conflict was ready to begin and we got our balms ready that packed just in case, I read a note I found on the sky-heavens-ground. It read, "Please save the world. - Gengardo & Quagson." It’s time for a Pokémon battle!

:sv/Lokix: VS :sv/Spidops:
Gilderoy Lokix (7) vs Black Ops Spidops (5)
SV UU: spoo v. Dj Breloominati♬
SV UU: Gei v. KM
SV UU: Hurtadoo v. Tal0
SVU UU: jawabarat v. Chaos23333
SS UU: dunoks v. Inder
SM UU: Attribute v. 691
ORAS UU: Amukamara v. DugZa
BW UU: GoldCat v. Huargensy
DPP UU: Ara v. Heysup
ADV UU: gorex v. Alkione
GSC UU: Surfy v. pp's splash town
RBY UU: Ice Yazu v. Melbelle
--

Gilderoy Lokix (0) vs Black Ops Spidops (0)
SV UU: spoo v. Dj Breloominati♬
SV UU: Gei v. KM
SV UU: Hurtadoo v. Tal0
SVU UU: jawabarat v. Chaos23333
SS UU: dunoks v. Inder
SM UU: Attribute v. 691
ORAS UU: Amukamara v. DugZa
BW UU: GoldCat v. Huargensy
DPP UU: Ara v. Heysup
ADV UU: gorex v. Alkione
GSC UU: Surfy v. pp's splash town
RBY UU: Ice Yazu v. Melbelle

Gilderoy Lokix (8) vs Black Ops Spidops (4)

SV UU: spoo vs Dj Breloominati♬ - ngl i thought spoo has been spamming nothing but the ghost spam HO (askoffense) like 4x in a row but ig i was wrong hes been using honest stuff ( i was thinking of tier and i think theyre friends oops). spitfire is obv a tough hurdle though given how much hes been winning in this tier lately 30-70

SV UU: Banbadoro vs KM - well this might be surprising but ive always though banbadoro has been a pretty good buy as he is just the super sub that seems to find wins wherever he ends up. idt km was doing too well in sv before he was in ss (which he was doing well in? not sure why they swapped lol) but yeah going for the upset even if banbadoro's nicknames piss me off (i HATE that first name shit bro) 55-45

SV UU: Hurtadoo vs Tal0 - honestly i havent been watching their games too much outside of last week but hurtadoo won vs stall in a matchup that i thought looked completely doomed, and he has a much better record so 65-35

SVU UU: jawabarat vs Chaos23333 - dont think jawabarat has been doing too well, and chaosnumbers is unsurprisingly doing very well considering he has the strength of a uupl player 80-20

SS UU: dunoks vs Inder - i'd say this is pretty one-sided but dunoks hasn't really been farming like i'd expect him to. ig the ss pool was kinda stacked for uufpl standards though. inder is obviously a strong player but his lack of knowledge in ss uu was really shown when he played vs lily and zoe earlier in the tour. dunoks should win but i wouldnt be surprised if inder picked things up in this tier after a bit of a break 60-40

SM UU: Attribute vs 691 - this is a tough one. attribute has been on a tear in this tier so far, but he actually lost vs 691 earlier on. he also lost to tlenit initially, and then won the rematch so.. maybe he'll have the download. 691 is the goat and hes funny af but i'll go with attribute seeing as hes a strong player who has only started to look more and more comfy in this tier 60-40

ORAS UU: Amukamara vs DugZa - this is prob the highlight of the series. bro i did NOT realize dugza was 5-0 LOL what the hell, but liam is like THE uufpl farmer. he has an insane record in literally every uufpl and hes looking to close out his record in the tour with an insane x-1. with this being said, dugza is def his strongest opponent so far, being someone who can seemingly play any tier he gets slotted into, played a bit of the tier to some success in uupl, and also is also just a strong tour player overall. still though i think liam will win, hes just too clutch when it comes to these scenarios but obviously this could go either way 55-45

BW UU: GoldCat vs Tack - fsr i thought tack had a way better record tbh LOL but anyway the last time these two played erm.. yeah it like wasnt a game. a sd heracross just absolutely cooked goldcat which ig makes sense cause he prob thought (just like i did) that every heracross in this tier was choiced.. tack apparently cooks a ton in this tier and while i think i rate goldcat a bit higher as a player i think tack will bring the sauce yet again. its just up to goldcat to get a decent matchup at preview 40-60

DPP UU: Ara vs Heysup - this would be a HUGE upset to see ara win LOL sorry bro but yeah 0-2 into bench is very dire considering his track record in the tier, feel like he really needed some wins to give the people hope. BUT he did pick up a w vs felines in week 7 (who had an unexpectedly fire season btw what the hell) so thats the glimmer of hope the lokix's got.. idt i need to go into much detail on heysup in dpp uu bc like, yeah hes been playing it for what over a decade? also bro why the FUCK are u playing this in the farm league LOOL cmon man.. but yeah hopefully it's no surprise that i think this'll be pretty one-sided but it is dpp so 25-75

heres where a dropoff will prob happen btw sorry just didnt pay attention to these tiers nearly as much LOL

ADV UU: gorex vs Alkione - gorex has been cooking in this new meta tbh, and is prob worthy of playing this tier in uupl atp. alkione has been doing fine but fine probably isn't enough against someone who is clearly very comfortable in this tier. gorex did have a tough week 1 vs the Goat of ADV though so ig anything can happen 60-40

GSC UU: Surfy vs pp's splash town - surfy is a cool name, pp's splash town is an insane name LMAO bro. i thought pp was like x-1 but apparently they both have the same record. surfy has played in team tours before too (think he won some lc team tour?) so he's prob been in these situations before, i'd have more faith in him 60-40

RBY UU: Ice Yazu vs Melbelle - not even gonna pretend ive been watching these games and im tired of typing so just bolding the better record

damn i didnt realize i put this as 8-4 LOL erm.. this is definitely a close series and i think a ton of these matchups can go either way. rooting for the spidops tho! :))

Last edited:
:bw/Manaphy: THE SEMI-ANNUAL HEARTS AND FLAMES SHOWDOWN! :bw/Charmeleon:
(Continued from semis thread)
:bw/Liepard: Hearts and Flames :bw/Pidgeotto:
Tough Luck Liepards (4) VS Persevering Pidgeottos (6)
SV UU: Mossy Sandwich v. Rasche
SV UU: Goro Yagami v. Slip
SS UU: Fluore v. Scalescale
SM UU: Corporate Donkey BigFatMantis v. BlackKnight_Gawain
ORAS UU: Monky25 v. BigFatMantis
BW UU: Taka v. stunner047
DPP UU: burstbean v. TMM
ADV UU: Slip v. Queen of Bean
GSC UU: Estarossa Dawn v. TLTK Corperate n
RBY UU: Sabelette v. pokemonisfun

THE DEADLINE FOR THESE GAMES WILL BE NEXT SUNDAY, JUNE 4 @ 11:59 PM GMT-4. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Congrats both teams to making finals and thanks to the hosts BFM and Monky for a truly excellent tour once again - wanted to briefly look at some of the highlight games from the SV UU players to get some insight into what we might be seeing in finals:

Thanks also to Melt Gibson for compiling some games and making this easier to write.

Good luck to all the players!

spoo vs Dj Breloominati♬

So for Spoo, I liked this week six game from them quite a lot https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9uu-691558- this was just as Greninja/Cycle dropped to UU and not everyone was really sure about their sets yet (we still aren't now to be honest!) Anyways Spoo here shows some real good building understanding by latching on to Specs Greninja early on where it's now widely accepted as one of the better Greninja sets. This gave them a super big advantage early on killing the spinner with a Spikes team, so the game was pretty easy from there. What was most impressive to me though was the presence of mind to use Gastrodon as aggresively as they did - choosing on multiple turns to forgo recovery because they clearly didn't want Tera Grass Kilowat to come in and wreak havoc. It actually didn't end up helping them (they never caught Kilo) but overall I think the play was very sound and it's a very good sign of a super strong player when they can adjust their play and do counterintuitive things (like not heal a low health Gastro) when faced with specific threats.

For DJ Breloominati aka Spitfire Arcanine, this was a great game from them in semifinals https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9uu-694733 - first of all, I have to complement the creativity. No super standard fat balance, no Magnezone fairy, no psychic terrain, no rain and no stall - basically these are all super good styles but also extremely explored and prepped for already. What we see is a Boots Lokix team that spams U-Turn with a Ditto to boot, which has a very interesting and potentially good MU against both spectrums of HO and stall. The U-Turn core just absolutely destroyed the Gastrodon, which normally stops pivot spam from Sandy Shocks fairly well, and DJ Breloominati just never let up from there, including very nice predictionson turn 35/36 which paralyzed a Greninja - I think the what it shows he understands when the opponent feels like they are in a bad position and needs to make plays.

So this is actually a super interesting clash then - on the one hand, I laud Spoo for understanding when they have to change their play (trying to kill the Kilowat) but on the other hand Spitfire Arcanine played like a demon by making game changing predictions after applying a lot of pressure with his U-Turn core. I think this game will come down to who is able to understand their position more and subsequently make plays off that.

Banbadoro vs KM

An excellent week 7 game from Banbadoro helped push their team into playoffs https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1868442012. Actually, some of the opportunity had to come from their opponent almost inexplicably using Tera early and throwing away their main Florges counter like that (and also not taking a fairly free Encore on turn 15). But Banbadoro held on a position where they were at one point down 6-3 and then went for the Florges sweep which worked marvelously. They also played around Double Shock very well, always healing the Double Shock so Pawmot couldn't do significant damage and just getting a super clean sweep from there. Notice the accuracy on turn 64 - not using Protect because Florges no longer needs health to sweep - a nice touch, that some people could miss after a long grueling game. But not Banbadoro!

KM is of the most well known players in this group given his council member position and his extraordinarily long tenure in UU. He's been playing SS as well in this tour but I think one of his most iconic SV wins was early on in the tour in a rain mirror but KM brought trademark creativity to secure victory https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9uu-685783. Toxicroak, still rare, was hardly ever used at this point in early April and gave him an absolutely critical moment on turn 9 and 10 to make a switch and double switch to do nasty things with Floatzel. Arguably it even enabled him to sack Pelipper early on since he didn't need it for rain (his opp would set that up for him) not a Water resist (Toxicroak is there). Not only did Toxicroak do well, it even had Protect to scout some Choiced Pokemon like Jugulis which only further cemented KM's victory.

Another really fascinating match up with two players with very different strengths - Banbadoro is able to batten down the hatches and just play super accurately when under pressure and basically never making a mistake when his Florges got going. On the other hand, KM combined very anti-meta prep (Rain was even more common at this point) with excellent double switching to secure an overwhelming advantage and just cleanly win their game. It's going to depend who can use their strengths on who will take this match.

Hurtadoo vs Tal0

Hurtadoo has plenty of victories to display in this tournament but I'd like to give thoughts on the one I'm most familiar with - his week one game versus me https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9uu-683150. We see a super aggressive and rewarding play early on - not getting tilted at all by an early Will o Wisp miss, he makes some predictions to get Tyranitar in safely and nab several KOs from there, including a crucial KO on Scizor that not only denies me a way to win but also gives his own Gengar much better breaking abilities. Basically he makes no mistakes and then just cleans everything with Gengar to take a very comfortable victory, not getting tripped up by a Tera Gengar - it would have been easy to mess up and sack Sandy Shocks to give me some chances but he just proves he knows the position very well.

I watched a 160 turn game from Tal so you don't have to https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9uu-690303 - but it was a very nice game from him to be blunt. It reminds me a lot of how spoo played, there was a very noticeable shift in Tal's energy in the middle of the game after about turn 35 which Tal milked for literally 100 turns or so. Basically he got a big advantage early on courtesy of Iron Jugulis - it let him force his opponent to burn their tera early on which is a big advantage in SV. But he was slipping a bit after that, you can see him making basically no progress with his Tauros play and he quickly realizes that doesn't work and never goes for it again. I do like his use of tera as well, Florges becoming a very nice way to stay in vs Grafaiai and not cede momentum. Basically he just keeps defending and waits for kythr's resources to dwindle, a very patient approach and shows that being passive can be massive.

Hurtadoo is really able to conjure some nasty magic at any point of the game but Tal0 is going to be able to handle what Hurtadoo throws at him if his position will allow it. I think this is yet another game where the players have some different strengths and they are going to be capable of producing some dazzling fireworks.

jawabarat vs Chaos23333

Jawa is of course in many players' minds right now given their karmic entry into UULT and their upcoming showdown with the villain Ksteve - but they also proved themselves capable of playing very well in UUFPL as shown in this early game https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1844962154. Jawa was facing an unusual at the time rain variant with Golduck - now accepted as one of the best rain sweepers but still rare in mid April - which would give them serious trouble. But Jawa plays about as well as they could against it, notably U-turning instead of hard switching on turn 6 given that they know Talon won't be very helpful anymore with opposing Scizor nearly dead, and then tactically taking rain away so Gengar can break the opposing team on turn 20 and turn 6. It's pretty balanced but a very strong double on turn 26 shifts the tide firmly to Jawa and they don't let up after that.

Chaos#s is a Chinese superstar well known in UU and Smogon by now and like many Chinese players, is absolutely unafraid of using extremely unconventional sets to surprise the opponent which helped secure a win last week https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9uu-694461. It's not just Tera Bug Iron Thorns, which is a known set but still rarely used on these balance structures, it's not just Occa berry Thief Scizor, which is never really used at all, but it's the combination of giving up Scizor's Tera early on to securely bait the Flamethrower only to punish the Salamence extremely hard (admittedly with the help of a crit that at least somewhat helped). Games like this are beyond exciting and make an impression for all the UU fans out there.

I have no doubt this game is going to bring some very exciting ideas that will help develop our metagame more and these two players are going to be excellent showcases. Chaos and many Chinese players are reminiscent of KM's creativity but we'll have to watch ourselves to see if it can overcome Jawa's rock solid play.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
corpo donkey gave win proof on wall

anyway with my turn on UUFPL coming to a close I'd just like to quick shout Baxbros, ty Slip and Totomon for giving me a chance in my first team tour! (also everyone's heard my individual shoutouts at some point so y'all know how I feel so I'm not writing out here again)

It's been a blast to have been part of the crew and learned a lot, and I definitely think I'm a lot better now than the player who went and finished an unfortunate 0-3 this series. I'll definitely come back next season better and prove myself in this tier, which has been a blast to play since the last time I touched cg uu (SM).

s/o bfm and monky too, the uufpl theme was super fun and I quite liked the creativity put into it :)

corpo donkey gave win proof on wall

anyway with my turn on UUFPL coming to a close I'd just like to quick shout Baxbros, ty Slip and Totomon for giving me a chance in my first team tour! (also everyone's heard my individual shoutouts at some point so y'all know how I feel so I'm not writing out here again)

It's been a blast to have been part of the crew and learned a lot, and I definitely think I'm a lot better now than the player who went and finished an unfortunate 0-3 this series. I'll definitely come back next season better and prove myself in this tier, which has been a blast to play since the last time I touched cg uu (SM).

s/o bfm and monky too, the uufpl theme was super fun and I quite liked the creativity put into it :)
Thanks for the shout out it was very nice, and congratulations on your activity win that must feel cool.

Unfortunately though there are no activity wins in the Hearts and Flames Showdown so I have now been recruited as a double agent to play for the Liepards against you in SM UU so the game gets done.

On Tours as BigFatMantis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)