Project UU Victim of the Week (Round Twenty Four: Rhyperior)

(approved by Sage, banner by AmirAlexander, cohosted with faded love)

Much like any other metagame, UnderUsed is constantly evolving with new threats rising while others go on a steep decline. New variables are always set in place as each tier shift goes by and UnderUsed adapts with it. However, even the Pokemon that are on the top have answers that exploit their flaws, and this thread is dedicated to discovering all of them. Each week, I will post a set of a Pokemon and you participants will have a few days to submit a check or a counter. After all submissions are done, the voting phase will begin and voters will pick what they find to be the best check and counter to the set. But of course like any other project, we have to lay down some ground rules.

Rules:

• Before submitting anything, you will have to keep in mind what a check and what a counter is by its definition. I will completely quote this from Smog Issue 32, "Pokémon A checks Pokémon B if, when Pokémon A is given a free switch into Pokémon B, Pokémon A can win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax. Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax." If I deem your submission to not be a counter, then I will move it over to checks and vice versa.
  • Please only post Pokemon that are viable in the UnderUsed metagame. Check out the viability rankings if you want to see what’s usable in the metagame. I will make exceptions however if you provide a ton of evidence (2 or 3 high ladder replays that show that this Pokemon is able to accomplish its job along with a few calcs and a brief description of what that Pokemon does in the metagame is my requirements) to back up this Pokemon.
  • Besides submitting Pokemon that are unranked in UnderUsed, I only need at least 3 sentences for an explanation on why this Pokemon checks or counters the set.
  • I do not require calcs or replays for your submissions, but you can submit them if it gives me a better idea of how your submission functions.
  • The submissions are sets of Pokemon so I will allow sets of the same Pokemon to be submitted from different participants (ie: Person A submits a Choice Scarf Latias and Person B submits a Calm Mind Latias).
  • You may reserve a set however you will have 24 hours to post it. If you don’t post it by this deadline then the set is fair game and anyone can submit it.
  • I am completely fine with experimentation, but if I think the set is far too specific in removing the victim while completely worsening your matchups against everything else, I will disqualify it.
  • During the voting phase, I will determine if you can vote for one check and counter or two checks and counters which will be determined by the number of Pokémon submitted in the week. You cannot vote for yourself. If any submissions are at a tie vote, I will be the sole vote to break the tie.
  • Some Pokémon have been banned from being submitted due to them being able to blanket check a surplus of Pokémon. Blissey, Alomomola, Quagsire, Pyukumuku, Alolan Muk, Bronzong, and Mimikyu are all banned from being submitted due to them checking or countering a lot of the metagame due to defensive stats or in Mimikyu's case, an ability that lets it revenge kill almost every single offensive Pokémon in the metagame to some successive degree. If you submit any of these Pokémon I will warn you to change your submission.
  • If you’re going to criticize someone else’s set please be nice and helpful about it instead of just slandering the participant.
  • Have some fun and enjoy this project!
Happy posting to you all and good luck!
Current Victim:

Last edited:
Here is the graph that contains each and every victim that has been eliminated throughout the week!
(wip)

WeekVictimCheckCounter
bisharp.png
infernape.png
steelix-mega.png
gligar.png
mamoswine.png
togekiss.png
doublade.png
blastoise-mega.png
quagsire.png
celebi.png
houndoom-mega.png
muk-alola.png
primarina.png
celebi.png
blissey.png
steelix-mega.png
primarina.png
moltres.png
sceptile-mega.png
aerodactyl-mega.png
togekiss.png
rotom-heat.png
10% Zygarde
altaria-mega.png
infernape.png
starmie.png
chandelure.png
scizor.png
infernape.png
moltres.png
altaria-mega.png
beedrill-mega.png
bronzong.png
krookodile.png
crobat.png
hydreigon.png
gengar.png
crobat.png
muk-alola.png
froslass.png
slowbro.png
houndoom-mega.png
aerodactyl-mega.png

Who is the best assassin that has stopped the victim in its tracks every week?!
Scizorphobic=6
Estarossa=6
Twilight=4
bukemon123=2
DubFreaknakeeb=2
InvejaMata=2
itsjustdrew=2
Nightingales=2
Smallsmallrose=2
dingbat=1
Galactiknight=1
Gum=1
Katy=1
InfernoDolphin73=1
Mapplle=1
Sickist=1
Rawbi=1

Last edited:
Alright if you couldn't tell by the title this is the Pokémon we'll be handling for the first week!
Round 1's Victim is:
Bisharp

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Dread Plate / Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp isn't really a current Pokémon like it was a couple months ago but it still is technically the newest addition to the tier so we'll be covering it first! Bisharp's introduction has allowed it to breathe life back into HO due to its massive offensive presence and amazing ability to deter Defog. Sucker Punch is a decent form of priority too to make it a little more difficult to revenge kill. Get your submissions in by Wednesday GMT-4 and good luck to everyone! You may now post.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Drain Punch

Chesnaught is an amazing counter to Bisharp with excellent defensive stats and the ability to resist its Dark-type attacks. With access to Drain Punch and Spikes Chesnaught has the ability to force out Bisharp and take advantage by stacking Spikes. Chesnaught can also easily take an Iron Head or Low Kick from full and 1v1 Bisharp barring flinches.

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion is an amazing offensive check to Bisharp. Cobalion resists all of Bisharps attacks and can easily counter sweep if it is hit with a Dark-type attack because of its ability Justified. Cobalion has very good defensive stats and the only reason it is not a counter to Bisharp is because it does not have access to recovery like Chesnaught. Since very few Bisharps run Low Kick, Cobalion will help your team deal with Bisharp a majority of the time.

Last edited:
1546726755003.png

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

Lucario is a solid offensive check to Bisharp. It's ability to come in on any attack and resisting all of them from Bisharp and ability to OHKO it with Vacuum Wave makes it one of, if not the best offensive check. It also lives any +2 attack including Sucker Punch, so it makes it all the better.[/hide]

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Clanging Scales
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower / Taunt

Kommo-o is a pretty good check to Bisharp which is why it is favoured on HO teams, on top of the utility it brings with SR + or Taunt. Kommo-o resists Sucker Punch meaning it eats it at +2 extremely well thanks to this and its bulk. It can also utilize a Z-move meaning it eats Knock Off well. However, Kommo-o doesn't appreciate switching into a LO boosted Iron Head well, but when given the free switch it always revenges or forces out if kept healthy.

Bewear @ Normalium Z
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

Okay so I think Bewear can be classified as a counter (might be a stretch) as it takes jack from anything Bisharp throws out. Even at +1 after a Defiant boost it only takes max 50% with a LO boost. An unboosted Bisharp pretty much does nothing and while Bewear doesn't have a proper form of recovery it has access to Drain Punch to heal back any chip and because it outspeeds it doesn't have to fear any Iron Head flinches or be forced to take another Iron Head. It also tends to utilize a Z-move so Knock Off is even less detrimental. While this Mon has no immediate recovery it can be commonly found on Balance squads which could potentially support it with wish passing.

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Fluffy Bewear: 84-100 (22 - 26.2%) -- 8.8% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Fluffy Bewear: 109-130 (28.6 - 34.1%) -- 1.9% chance to 3HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Fluffy Bewear: 164-192 (43 - 50.3%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
1546729773871.png

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Impish Nature
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Fang
Steelix-Mega is a nice counter to Bisharp, with your sheer defense Steelix can literally switch into any Bisharp attack, even the dark-type attacks, since Knock won't doing to much cause this is a mega-form, and even the rare Darkinium-Z can be handled by this mon and knock out Bisharp with an Earthquake.

1546730937026.png

Infernape @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Focus Blast

Infernape is the offensive Bisharp check, Nape can't come in safely so many times due your frail defense stats, but if at green hp bar the monkey can switch in and will always win the 1v1 with Mach Punch, in case you're running Grass Knot over Mach Punch you're still available to knock it out with any Stab of your choice.(Note: If you don't miss them)

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
d7c4d2ddd6b2da49a1c16968a2ea9065ca8b1773_hq.gif
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse/Toxic

Quagsire is one of the best ways for Stall to deal with Bisharp and counters it pretty well. With Unaware, Bisharp is unable to boost past Quagsire's defenses and needs a Z move to have any chance at all.
tumblr_mmifo37rr61qhd8sao1_500.gif
Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic / Will-o-wisp
- Flamethrower / Hurricane

Moltres is a reliable check to Bisharp and its sub set is really nice rn imo. It's unexpected outside of stall and Bisharp pretty much always will go for Sucker Punch.

WAIT NO, We got ya boy Mega Aggron, this pokemon serves as a check to Bisharp because of it already being a bulky steel that isn't really affected by Knock Off.

After Mega Aggron eats that Knock Off, it can either hit Bisharp with an EQ or Roar, depending on the health of the opposing Bisharp.
Sucker Punch doesn't do as much either.

1546884084992.png

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soak
- Recover
- Counter

Pyukumuku is a strong counter to Bisharp. While abeit slow in that it has to soak Bisharp before hitting it with toxic, or has to wait for an opportunity to click counter, it's presence with unaware will stop Bisharp from being anywhere near threatening since it ignores defiant and swords dance. It can consistently come in and take Bisharp on every time, with Bisharp having no way to circumvent a healthy Pyukumuku. It's a hard wall that can keep coming in on Bisharp throughout a match and prevent it from doing what it does.
1546885142881.png

Hydreigon @ Fightinium Z/Groundium Z/Other
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast/Earth Power/Fire Blast
- Roost
- Taunt/Defog/Filler

Non-scarf Hydreigon is a strong check to Bisharp as it always comes in at least once on unboosted Bisharp (Taking any one hit or coming in on the SD turn) as it outspeeds while resisting Sucker Punch, and OHKOs it with a number of it's coverage moves like earth power, focus blast, or it's fire moves. It can also roost away any damage Bisharp does when forcing it out, allowing it to come in and check Bisharp again later in the match. Roost also circumvents a lot of Sucker Punch 50/50s and pressures Bisharp out of using Sucker at the chance that Hydreigon might heal itself. Any roost Hydras with a move for OHKOing Bisharp should be able to handle it fairly consistently but I also wanted to highlight the somewhat popular fight Z and ground Z sets since they in particular are the most effective Hydra sets at dismantling Bisharp.

Last edited:
Alright I should've been more specific with the date but since I'm assuming no one else is going to submit, it's voting time! Now to Twilight , Swords Dance boosts your Attack by 2 Stages so with a Life Orb, Iron Head does 2HKO Bewear. However, I will still allow it to be a counter since Jolly Bewear outspeeds Adamant Bisharp by one point and as you said, Bewear teams often carry Wish support which can keep Bewear healthy to deal with Bisharp. DubFreaknakeeb make sure to post a set of the mon you're submitting as well next time. I will let this one slide so consider this to be your first and final warning. Finally, I'm bumping Chesnaught down to a check as it gets 2HKOed by a +2 Iron Head on the switch-in and unlike Bewear, doesn't outspeed.

Alright, here's the mons that you can vote for!

Checks:

Standard Chesnaught by itsjustdrew

Nasty Plot Lucario by MysticalHaze

Mixed Kommo-o by Twilight

Nasty Plot Infernape by InvejaMata

Defensive Moltres by Scizorphobic

Z-Move Hydreigon by Smallsmallrose

Counters:

Swords Dance Cobalion by itsjustdrew

Swords Dance Bewear by Twilight

Defensive Stealth Rock Mega Steelix by InvejaMata

Standard Quagsire by Scizorphobic

Standard (I'm assuming Standard set for the time being) Mega Aggron by DubFreaknakeeb

Soak Toxic Pyukumuku by Smallsmallrose

Due to the amount of submissions, you may vote for 2 checks and 2 counters. I will be more specific with dates this time, so voting ends by Saturday, 8PM GMT-4.

Last edited:
The Winner is:
1547332423518.png

InvejaMata
Congratulations to InvejaMata for winning the first week with both Infernape and the super underrated Defensive Mega Lix! Your check and counter will be placed into the archive!
Checks:
Infernape=6
Lucario=5
Kommo-o=2
Moltres=1
Chesnaught=1
Hydreigon=0

Counters:
Mega Steelix=5
Quagsire=4
Mega Aggron=3
Cobalion=2
Pyukumuku=2
Bewear=0

Now since we did not get anything new in the last shifts (Gastrodon is irrelevant), our next victims might as well be the RU mons that have been promoted to UU status!
Round 2's Victim is:
Gligar

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn / Toxic / Knock Off

It's rather interesting how Gliscor being removed from UU was the key to us getting a far more solid metagame. It also was pretty obvious that with its departure, its baby form Gligar would take the stage as one of UU's biggest rising stars! Gligar's immunity to Toxic, solid bulk with an Eviolite and typing, and it pairing really well with Balance staples like Empoleon has solidified its position as a solid rocker or hazard removal with it making strong appearances on both Balance and Stall builds. Now bully this little guy to death. Voting begins on Wednesday at 8PM GMT-4. Good luck and good night!​

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

This serves a good gligar check because of it being able to hit it with it's 4x effective stab move called Icicle Crash. This obviously OHKO's gligar.

Defensive Primarina serves as a great counter to Gligar. It's able to switch into eq and then is able to hit it back with a scald and potentially burn it. Scald is a guaranteed 2hko. Gligar doesn't really get to do much back besides roost over and over.
Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

0 SpA Primarina Scald vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thas all i got atm

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
1104763.jpg

BOUNCE BACK. (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Refresh
- Hydro Pump
As a brutal wallbreaker, Blastoise crushes any Gligar daring to stay in or can punish a predicted switch in. A solid check in general.
1115884.jpg

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Rest
- Scald
- Calm Mind
pretty much all variants of Suicune counter Gligar and set up on them. Vincune can even get up a sub and stall the switch in.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

By far my favorite Scizor set. With max hp and Leftovers Scizor can easily switch in on an Earthquake and proceed to Swords Dance. Gligar is just set up fodder for this Scizor set. 0 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 85-102 (24.7 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery. Scizor can switch on Gligar every time and Roost off the damage and has proved to be an excellent wall.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Kyurem is easily the most underrated mon in the tier right now. Given a free switch in to Gligar Specs Kyurem is going to hammer something. Specs Ice Beam knocks out Gligar every time and threatens many Pokemon. Kyurem is a great Gliscor check and Pokemon in general.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)