Project UU Teambuilding Lab (Accepting requests)

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Approved by Lilburr
Art by Albatr0ss

UU_Teambuilding_Lab.png

Hello, everyone. Throughout our time in UU, we have noticed that many newer players struggle to build effective teams. In an effort to rectify that, we have joined forces with several experienced UU players to host the UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab. Here, users can post Pokemon sets or cores that they would like the Lab staff to build a team around. The Lab staff may then reply with their team and the team building process they used so that the client can see our thought processes, and, as a result, better develop their ability to build their own teams in the future.

Also, in an effort to improve all of us and get some quality discussion for the thread, we're going to propose that you guys take the builds we create, play around 5 games on the ladder with them at a decent rank, and then link all replays and talk about how to expand your teambuilding from there.

Rules:
  • Have a one-paragraph description (3-4 lines should suffice) with the set or core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.
  • Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people about what is good in the meta and how to build effective teams. Furthermore, all requests must make sure that the Pokemon being requested are at least on the Viability Rankings. If you're requesting a core, make sure that you provide good reasoning as to why that core is worth building around in the current metagame. Even if only one Pokemon is to be built around, it must be viable enough in the current metagame to warrant receiving the time and effort of our staff. We reserve the right to decline any request that we do not feel meets the Lab's quality standards.
  • Each user is allowed one request per week. If any user is found requesting multiple teams within that timeframe, the offending posts will be deleted and the user may see further punishment.
  • Please remember that these teams are first drafts and, as such, will not be perfect. Edit them as you please. That being said, builders must be willing to take constructive criticism regarding their teams and those who point out the flaws of a builder's team should contribute to the team's improvement in a constructive manner so that the builders and the clients can grow as players.
  • Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or for being unable to build around something themselves.
  • On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post the changes or critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
  • However, you are not allowed to post your own teams here to have us modify them. We're here to build new teams, not modify older ones. If you want your own teams critiqued and modified, post them in the RMT forum, not here.
If you wish to become a member of the Lab staff, please send the hosts a forum PM containing an application that follows the format below. Bear in mind that demand for builders will fluctuate based on the volume of requests and the activity level of the Lab's current staff.

1. Be knowledgeable regarding the UU tier and the current metagame
2. Provide evidence demonstrating your skills as a builder (RMT Team Showcase, examples of successful teams, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance, to be precise)
You must clearly demonstrate to the hosts that you deserve consideration as a builder. If you do not provide enough useful information to successfully enable us to judge your suitability for the position, your application will be declined.

Hosts:
Estarossa
Builders:
Twilight
Lilburr
avarice
Estarossa
Notily
vivalospride
Pak
TSR
Cynde
Ramolost
Amane Misa

Announcements:
  • The Lab is currently accepting builder applications.
  • The Lab currently accepts requests for teams in the following commonly-played UU metagames: SS, SM, DPP, GSC. You can try to request an ORAS team but our builders for this gen aren't as active so no promises they get completed within a timely fashion.
  • The Lab does not accept requests including Pokemon currently undergoing suspect testing.

Last edited:
:ss/kommo-o:
Kommo-o @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Poison Jab

I'd like an offense/bo team around SD kommo-o. Haven't had much success with building with it, so I figured I'd let the pros give it a shot. Thank you and have a good day/evening/morning.

ello ello the teambuilding lab is incredibly hype! and I am going to request something for it
:haxorus:
Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Close Combat / First Impression

Id like a Balance/BO oriented team around this bad boy, I really want it to shine in this team as the main breaker. I really really want to use it but never had succes building with it as when I try it I just kkinda end up replacing it as its very similar to other builds ive made. hope my request can be fulfilled and good night tri state area

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

I'd like a bulky offense/ balance styled team, with a little more of breaking than walling.

<Click the Sprites for the Importable>
Sickist SD Kommo-o team. Went for Goggles because Amoong is annoying but Leftovers is fine as an alternative. I wouldn't run LO though. Aegislash as the easiest glue mon to slap onto a team. Spread is just faster than Conkeldurr then I hit a jump point with the SpA investment to pressure stuff better. Amoonguss gives a check to Keldeo, Prima, etc. Krookodile as the SR setter and valuable typing to handle Aegislash as Kommo-o doesn't necessarily want to be the dedicated pivot. Chople is for Lycan primarily. Lilburr gave the idea of Scarf Washtom for Speed control here. Defog because I valued removal a lot. Finally Lycanroc-D as some more Speed control to keep stuff like Thundurus and DD mence in check. Very standard set. You will need to play smart around opposing Kommo-o depending on the set. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks KM for your input too.

Heyo, I would love to see what the builders can come up with for Nasty Plot Togekiss on a balance team. I've been having trouble fitting it on these styles of teams as I find myself almost always preferring something else or building a team with too many weaknesses, so I'd appreciate hearing from the more experienced builders what their thought process is when building with Togekiss. If you would like a little more structure, I have found that both Assault Vest Tangrowth and Jirachi make good partners for Togekiss, so a core of Togekiss + either of those would be great. Feel free to edit the EVs as well. Thanks in advance!

:ss/Togekiss:

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave / Flamethrower
- Roost

TotomonGang CB Haxorus offense. Haxorus is pretty decent with Scizor leaving though unfortunately, it's still a Dragon with little defensive utility. Went with a Spikes route via Klefki to just help a bunch of the breakers. Magnet Rise lets you either remove Krookodile or stack my Spikes. Can be useful against Nidoking but that depends on its coverage. Starmie gives a powerful wallbreaker that also helps deal with foes like Keldeo and Lycanroc-D a bit better. I don't think Rapid Spin is necessary if you pressure enough with your own hazards. I added Thundurus just because I wanted a pivot that could bring Haxorus in. Thundurus's Speed tier also being another valuable tool here. Amoonguss is just a pivot into foes like Krook, Prima, Keldeo, etc. I went with Eject Button because you can use it to take a hit then bring in one of your breakers to apply pressure. Finally, Krookodile for an Electric immune + SR setter. It also eases the Aegislash matchup. Enjoy

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Hello guys! I would like to request an offensive team built around Choice Band Azumarill. It's a cool mon and I'd really like to see what you guys come up with!

:ss/azumarill:
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Synthesis

I like roserade and I really like hazard stack teams but sadly there are not any good spike setters after mew

romanji

you deserve someone better
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:ss/tapu-bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Synthesis

I’d like to see a bulky offense / balance team with defensive Bulu, as I am one of the 5 people that advocate for this thing.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

Celebiii here is your NP Togekiss balance team! One of the biggest issues for Togekiss in this meta really is the wealth of strong checks to it that teams tend to pack: nihilego, rhyperior, aegislash, jirachi, thundurus etc. Not all of these can even be broken through by coverage options or thunder wave either. When building with it the first thing I really wanted to work around was the team utility it could offer to a balance team when its matchup wasn't really amazing - the biggest thing to me is Heal Bell support that it can offer bulkier balance teams, freeing up the moveslot from a Pokemon like Umbreon, who absolutely loves being able to run Toxic in this meta as it makes it far less passive and punishes so many of its checks. Physically defensive umbreon retains the monstrous spdef it naturally has, but gives it a great matchup versus stuff like DD mence, mixed aegi, DD gyarados, and mamoswine. Inner Focus stops you being flinched by DD Gyara, prevents you passing Burns with Synchronise onto targets that youd want to Toxic like Rotom-W / Gastrodon, and lets you somewhat combat NP togekiss if nihilego isn't in the position to do so: you can burn it through around 4-5 Heal Bells before Umbreon ends up being unable to keep fighting that particular 1v1 usually, assuming you make decent plays during the engagement, if ffacing NP twave Togekiss then umbreon can very freely toxic it to imrpvoe your own nihis matchup instead.

Tangrowth + Starmie provide key defensive utility versus threats like Keldeo, physically defensive Tangrowth helps a lot with threats like Lycanroc-Dusk / Barraskewda / Crawdaunt here, Rocky Helemt chip is also useful into stuff like pivot Thundy, defensive starmie is a really nice hazard remover that has positive matchups versus basically all setters in the tier, it can't spin into Aegislash but Aegi doesn't really like taking Scald burns longer term especially if it gets knocked by nihi and without Spikes really in the tier anymore there's not usually a huge urgency to spin here. Long term you should always be able to win the hazard war here. These two along with the rest of the team really improve your rain matchup too, in particular phys def tang is basically the only real answer in the tier to daunt/azu under rain beyond the very short term.

SubTox Aegi gives you a cool win condition and something that can pressure opposing teams throughout a game, loves the Heal Bell and Wish support from Togekiss + Umbreon in particular. Aegi is also a great check to stuff like Nihilego and Jirachi for you, and can help check stuff like +2 Thundy if necessary. Nihilego gives you a cool stealth rocker and something that can apply a decent amount of offensive pressure, also knocks some really high value targets like Chansey and Aegislash and is pretty great at keeping Rocks up versus a lot of teams. Checks threatening Flying types like Moltres and especially Togekiss. Nihilego + Starmie provide your speed control here, Starmie in particular has a great speed tier above stuff like Keldeo / Lycanroc-D, but nihilego still outspeeds threats like Thundy-T.

I hope you enjoy :)

Monky25

CB Krookodile + AV Glowbro squad. To start things off I'll say that this ended up being near identical to another team I made just with different sets. The Glowbro really doesn't do much for Krookodile aside from Future Sight preventing them from switching Buzzwole into Krook, otherwise, it has no issues breaking through its other would-be checks. For this reason, I found that Future Sight to be rather mediocre and rarely clicked outside of this matchup and would prefer Ice Beam just to OHKO mence but you can decide which you prefer more. I needed something else to run rocks instead so I went with Kommo-o, which felt like a given to ease the Aegislash matchup given the core chosen. Wanted a pivot core that could get Krookodile in as often as possible so went with Washtom + Jirachi. Wisp helps with punishing DD Mence and Jirachi has a Choice Scarf for Speed control. Lycanroc-D rounds it off providing another wallbreaker/wincon and has a useful Speed tier + priority for stuff like Thundurus and DD Salamence/Gyarados.

Hey there Emil Heskey, joined the building lab a few hours ago and I have your team ready! Thanks Twilight avarice Estarossa for their feedback. Now, time to talk about the team. Since Sub CM Keldeo is a really powerful late-game win condition, I made sure the team revolved around setting Keldeo up to sweep at the end. An amazing partner for Keldeo is Thundurus, a pokemon that can bring it in through pivoting with U-turn as well as break through bulky-water types like Primarina and Mantine that threaten keldeo. It also can cripple threats like Assault Vest Tangrowth and Galarian Slowbro as well as Chansey for Keldeo to muscle through easier. Next up is a standard bulky offense core of Assault Vest Tangrowth and Rhyperior. Both are able to check threats to Keldeo like Raikou, Starmie, and Lycanroc-D and compliment each other nicely, with tang dealing with water-types and rhyperior dealing with fire-types. Swords dance on rhyperior is to muscle past amoonguss who can be annoying for keldeo, and power whip on tangrowth is to ease the Calm mind primarina matchup. Salamence is another wallbreaker who can remove the Grass-types for keldeo and provides great defensive utility against threats like zarude courtesy of its typing. It also can provide defog support to keep keldeo from being worn down so it can set up substitute easier. Alternatively, if defog isn't your forte Draco Meteor works as an alternative to make it even more dangerous since spikes aren't as dominant anymore. Rounding off the team is Choice Scarf Jirachi, who forms a pivot core with thundurus and revenge kills lycanroc-D. The cool thing about Jirachi is the last slot (Trick) can be further customized, so you can run moves like ice punch or thunder punch if you desire. Hope you enjoy this team!

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader

https://pokepast.es/21debea8a01be0ee

pokemonisfun you wanted the brokens so here's all 5 plus a Haunter. Cleric Granbull is typically reserved for very specific defensive teams that use stuff like Rest Gyarados, Sleep Talk-less Blastoise etc. and as a result the Curse set is the more splashable one. Esta has said he'll be providing a cleric Bull team when he gets the chance but for now here's a spikes offense that features it and some others.

Mime is chosen as the lead since it matches up well against other common leads like Nidoqueen, Qwilfish and Haunter. Since we have a whole lot of stuff that gets trashed by Psychic-types, I went with RestTalk Mime so that we have an answer to those that doesn't just slowly lose to them. Granbull is a great all-purpose check to a lot of physical attackers, primarily stuff like Nidoqueen but it can be thrown against just about anything if needs be lol, Qwilfish sets up Spikes and can generally be annoying to switch into. It has Haze to deal w/ primarly BP recipients that can actually be pretty big threats to this type of team like Quagsire but it's also nice for dealing with some Scyther sets and annoying Granbull if Haunter goes down early. Haunter is the spinblocker and doubles as an effective disruptor and wallbreaker while also being the team's main answer to opposing Curse Granbull. Scyther is The BrokenTM and provides great breaking and sweeping potential while also being able to pass Swords Dance boosts to Nidoqueen, Granbull or even Qwilfish depending on the situation, giving it some depth to its game. Finally, Nidoqueen was tacked on so that we had a better Electric resist than Mr. Mime in order to not get bowled over by Electabuzz and Ampharos while also being a great answer to some other common stuff like opposing Haunter if you can predict correctly but that role should mostly be on Mime unless you suspect it'll explode.

Hope you enjoy the team! Some matchups like Hypno might be a bit awkward but everything should be playable at least.​

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

https://pokepast.es/21debea8a01be0ee

pokemonisfun you wanted the brokens so here's all 5 plus a Haunter. Cleric Granbull is typically reserved for very specific defensive teams that use stuff like Rest Gyarados, Sleep Talk-less Blastoise etc. and as a result the Curse set is the more splashable one. Esta has said he'll be providing a cleric Bull team when he gets the chance but for now here's a spikes offense that features it and some others.

Mime is chosen as the lead since it matches up well against other common leads like Nidoqueen, Qwilfish and Haunter. Since we have a whole lot of stuff that gets trashed by Psychic-types, I went with RestTalk Mime so that we have an answer to those that doesn't just slowly lose to them. Granbull is a great all-purpose check to a lot of physical attackers, primarily stuff like Nidoqueen but it can be thrown against just about anything if needs be lol, Qwilfish sets up Spikes and can generally be annoying to switch into. It has Haze to deal w/ primarly BP recipients that can actually be pretty big threats to this type of team like Quagsire but it's also nice for dealing with some Scyther sets and annoying Granbull if Haunter goes down early. Haunter is the spinblocker and doubles as an effective disruptor and wallbreaker while also being the team's main answer to opposing Curse Granbull. Scyther is The BrokenTM and provides great breaking and sweeping potential while also being able to pass Swords Dance boosts to Nidoqueen, Granbull or even Qwilfish depending on the situation, giving it some depth to its game. Finally, Nidoqueen was tacked on so that we had a better Electric resist than Mr. Mime in order to not get bowled over by Electabuzz and Ampharos while also being a great answer to some other common stuff like opposing Haunter if you can predict correctly but that role should mostly be on Mime unless you suspect it'll explode.

Hope you enjoy the team! Some matchups like Hypno might be a bit awkward but everything should be playable at least.​
I LOVE it. Thank you and thank you in advance esta.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
StarFalcon555

https://pokepast.es/0a02ba3dfbc1774a

This is a very offensive team and you'll have to use it aggressively at times to make it work the best it can. The team is focused around breaking with Aegislash, Azumarill, Thundurus and Kommo-o so Lycanroc and Krookodile can clean. I am not feeling like explaining too much other than that because I'm feeling like the team is self explanatory for the most part but feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

A few alternatives can be having EQ on Kommo-o to handle Aegislash better and/or Nidoking over Krookodile to help with the Toxic Spikes matchup. Nidoking can even be Choice Scarf if you really wanted to, although I've never tested this.

As for threats, the main thing that comes in mind other than the aforementioned Toxic Spikes is Mamoswine. How I deal with it is try to predict it and have Azumarill be switched in on Ice Shard and also Kommo-O, Lycanroc and Krookodile can take a hit from full if really needed to. It also doesn't switch in on anything for free, barring Thundurus.

HydreigonTheChild

https://pokepast.es/ece1bb0303ea2cbf
I don't like Roserade that much because if you use a Grass/Poison on your team you want it to be able to switch into Keldeo, which it can't for the most part. With that said, I still think it has a niche if the aforementioned thread is covered by the rest of the team because it can abuse Amoonguss, Tangrowth and other passive Pokemon really well.

The main way the team should be played is breaking with Roserade, Salamence and Lycanroc and chipping with Spikes, Knock Off and Taunt and eventually clean with either Jirachi or Lycanroc. Don't hesitate to play a bit aggressively with Lycanroc because Jirachi has Healing Wish.

Honestly, if you're scared of Mamoswine you can make Primarina max Defense. I took the default Bulky Primarina EV spread from PS and I don't know what it does but I figured having some SpD is a good idea.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
avg

Tapu Bulu has not been a super great Pokemon for a long while, and using a bulky variant seemed... interesting. I wanted to avoid ending up with Pif stall and attempted a Ditto build, but it was hard to justify Tapu Bulu over another defensive Grass-type. Eventually settled on a more balanced structure featuring Safety Goggles Galarian Slowbro (thanks monky for the reminder this mon is broken) to avoid losing too much momentum against Amoonguss teams. Rhyperior is able to compress Stealth Rock, Electric-type immunity, and keeps up offensive pressure with Swords Dance. Physically Defensive Umbreon + Specially Defensive Aegislash is an annoying core to break that capitalizes on the Grassy Terrain support while being able to spread Toxic so the opponent can actually be chipped down. Rotom-Wash rounds out the team nicely as speed control and hazard removal. The compression is not too bad since Umbreon provides sustainability. Hope you enjoy it!

Estarossa

moo?
C&C Leader
Aqua∞Ring here is your Baton Pass team! Went for a more interesting approach as there are plenty of Quagsire Baton Pass's around. Flareon Baton Pass tams are very cool provided you can work around the Haze Qwilfish issue it has, and have seen some rare usage between UUPL (Kaori brought in a later week), and Classic (I brought another version of this team vs Mr.378). This Omastar version gives you a fantastic check to some of these style of BP teams bigger weaknesses in Scyther and Granbull, and gives you a cool mixed breaker here that can potentially take the chain instead of Nidoqueen and become quite scary with multiple boosts passed into it, making it harder for these sort of Pokemon to break a chain without consequence.

There's a few things to explain here that I'll do differently than explaining a normal team, mainly how your chain works, and your standard recipients and mid-chain options.

• This team is geared so that Flareon can set up a Growth and pass it along without being hard stopped by a healthy Qwilfish. In order to do this, Flareon needs the following stats passed into it: +3 Attack to OHKO with HP Ground, +1 or higher Speed to outspeed Qwilfish. This is generated by passing an Agility, Swords Dance, and a Curse at minimuum, although this can be 2 SD's instead. Curse Girafarig in particular is nice to give some early breathing room versus stuff like Granbull as its fairly fast to begin with, and Amnesia is a nice option to pass along the chain as well to give more breathing room.
  • During the middle of a chain, it is always safe to pivot with Baton Pass back into Mr.Mime as a resting position: it's fantastic matchup versus your standard phazers/hazers in Qwilish and the rarer Roar Gyarados is key here, and it provides a general strong offensive presence against threats like Nidoqueen. Standard checks like Chansey and Hypno don't really want to pivot back in as this just lets you pass a Substitute back into something else like Scyther to further chain.
  • Nidoqueen is your ideal chain recipient, its obviously ridiculously scary with +1/2 Speed and +2/3 Attack passed into it. Growth's passed into it are very ideal too, making it even more dangerous versus stuff like Grasses and Slowbro. Amensia pass also helps it considerably by making it impossible to really threaten with bulky Water's or Hypno. Ice Beam is used here instead of Fire blast because Gligar is a decent threat otherwise.
  • Omastar works decently as a chain recipient too if forced into this position by something like a Granbull. with +1 Special attack passed into it, Omastar is able to do upwards of 80% to Qwilish with HP Electric, while 3HKO'ing Slowking. A Mixed set with Ancient Power gives you the strongest natural hit vs Scyther, with SD boosts passed into it the move itsel becomes fairly strong and stops Chansey walling you, but with defensive boosts also passed into you it also lets you very effectively fish for Omniboosts against stuff like Granbull / non Twave Hypno, with an approximate 57% chance of picking one up with all your PP, this is particularly handy if you were prematurely forced into Omastar without getting a Growth boost up too.

Some replays demonstrating how the team functions in practice below:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2uu-1385160195
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2uu-569804 [This isn't actually the Omastar version but the 6th wasn't ever revealed anyway so you can pretend it was]

This could be you! ^^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

pokemonisfun here is your Heal Bell Granbull team! This was a team I used in UUPL vs Highways. When we were preparing for this week, we noticed he had an incredible amount of Jumpluff usage on his scouter that made using more traditional breaking methods like Scyther or Granbull quite unreliable, so I really wanted to bring a Gyarados team versus him. It's a formidable mixed Wallbreaker, especially with Spikes down, that can just apply a lot of immediate pressure versus teams alongside Nidoqueen, and has a great matchup versus some of the Stall teams like HSA's Shuckle Stall that have been running around.

Heal Bell Granbull is an amazing fit to a team like this, not only does it give you another Nidoqueen check to a team that would otherwise rely on Rest Talk Mr.Mime to check it, which can be overwhelmed by Queen, but it also in particular lets you run Rest on two Pokemon here, Gyarados and non Sleep Talk Omastar. Rest Gyarados has a beautiful benefit over other sets in that it doesn't have to fear Paralysis from Pokemon like Slowbro or Hypno, letting it just apply consistent pressure versus them. It also doesn't care about any Chip damage, letting it just hammer away at defensive cores without concern. Normally using Rest on Gyarados can have some major downsides however, since its very often going to be your primary Scyther check on a team, but Granbull really helps by opening up your opportunities to Heal Gyarados without giving your opponent as many easy opportunities to abuse it.

In a similar vein, being able to drop Sleep Talk on Omastar is really nice on this team, as it gives one huge benefit, letting you run Thief. This is golden as Gyarados and Omastar tend to share some pretty common checks like Hypno and Slowking, and Thief + Spikes lets Gyarados apply huge pressure. While Omastar tends to be a bit safer vs Granbull without Sleep Talk than the Scyther problem with Gyarados, its still highly beneficial to have the option o waking it up early, as Granbull could still abuse this longer term.

Rest Talk Mr.Mime is a fantastic lead on a more offensive team like this, providing some of the defensive utility that something like Hypno would provide, while being a big ofensive threat itself, especially versus non Hypo teams. Here it just gives you a consistent check to Pokemon like Slowbro, opposing Mr.Mime, and Nidoqueen, and becomes a very dangerous late game threat with all the pressure Gyarados and Nidoqueen provide.

You can read more about this team on the RMT I posted about it after UUPL, where I go a little more in depth about everything - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gsc-uu-the-ultimate-show.3683831/. Some replays of this team being used in practice that I have are below.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2uu-551813 - Me vs Highways: UUPL Week 4
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2uu-1332905999-0ygn8h7e7ipnnauntz06vgwixwdwykupw - Vani vs Lord Thorx: UUPL Week 5

Hope you both enjoy <3

Last edited:
Can I request a team revolving around Hone Claw Mixed Nidoking? The main moves that I'd want are Hone Claws, Thunder, Blizzard, and Dynamic Punch. Thunder and Blizzard are used for BoltBeam coverage, while Dynamic Punch is for Chansey. Hone Claws boosts all of these moves accuracy, while powering up Dynamic Punch.

0C41C97D-C582-481F-BBD9-A8556D510341.jpeg93F4BF88-6B37-4C31-AC17-55C115B0A494.pngE61F88C0-AE81-46AB-80B1-6C32826EAE69.jpeg350ACE68-9A8B-4948-A561-6D1B9E58B264.jpeg1996CBF8-F7C0-4269-B618-70B726AD1A0F.jpeg7CA15DCD-D5A0-48CB-8E39-0A59A5B0C3A7.png
Hey there Clone I have your Aegislash BO team ready! Choice Specs Aegislash is a very dangerous wallbreaker right now that has gone underutilized for a while, so it was cool to build with. Since Aegislash does a lot of wallbreaking, my first instinct was to pair it with a cleaner like Lycanroc-D who can finish off threats like Tangrowth and Celesteela weakened by Aegislash. It offensively checks a bunch of stuff like the Thundurus forms, the Moltres forms, Umbreon, Salamence, Gyarados, and Rotom-H that can all threaten Aegislash. Krookodile serves as a rocker, electric immunity, and aegislash check. Protect is a cool move (shoutout to KM ) that lets krook get more leftovers recovery as well as stall out rain turns and scout choice locked threats. Primarina and Amoonguss make up the defensive backbone of the team, checking threats like Keldeo, Lycanroc-D, Kommo-o, Azumarill, and many more. Lastly Mienshao rounds off the team as speed control and good revenge killer to threats like Nihilego and Keldeo. Team has worked really well for me on the high ladder, hope you enjoy it! Thanks avarice for the suggestion on the last slot.

while I'm here I might as well say this to dunderguy. Unfortunately the teambuilding lab has decided to reject your request for a Hone Claws Nidoking team. Nidoking is already a tough mon to build around with it taking up the valuable ground and poison-type slot without stacking weakness, and you have given us a suboptimal and mostly gimmicky set to make a team with, which is not what the teambuilding lab does. The set itself is largely inferior to the standard Nidoking set, and thus nobody feels it is worth their time to build a functional team around a rare, gimmicky, and arguably bad set. Therefore, as stated earlier, we are rejecting your request. You are welcome to make a new request of a more viable set on a Pokemon you want to use if you like.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)