Metagame USUM Metagame Discussion Thread

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26

View attachment 179686

Just as I had predicted, (and subsequently getting crap for it with some people even going as far as deleting my posts) the Specs set has finally dropped from its number one spot in item usage with Electrium Z taking its spot. Even more surprising is that the Scarf set saw more usage than the Specs set in last month's usage statistics.

So what do you guys attribute these changes to and what do you guys think the future holds for Tapu Koko in the SM OU metagame?
People began to realize that Koko's blend of actually good defensive typing and speed tier is more important than trying to break with the rooster itself. For example:
  • Switching consistently into Torn-T and making it lose momentum is actually huge, because most slow defensive switch-ins let in a faster wallbreaker for free as Torn U-turns out. However, switching in Koko typically forces in a fat grass type (most grounds fear HP Ice) and that's much more manageable to switch into than a Medicham or Mawile. Electrium Z even prevents Torn from getting any progress with Knock Off as well, so it truly saps Torn's momentum or forces it to hard predict with U-Turn (can be capitalized on).
  • Being a consistent and offensive Hawlucha check is so important for the frailer teams that Koko fits on. Most ppl rely on one-time specific EV spreads to deal with Lucha and even then it can adapt to those. Koko has the ability to roost up and stay healthy enough to switch in on the bullshit cleaner, as opposed to stuff like Explosion Scarf Lando or standard lefties Fini.
  • Being an offensive switch-in to Zapdos that doesn't fear paralysis is also so nice, because even mons like Heatran become shakier answers once they get paralyzed by Discharge.
This combination of qualities are not something you can find in anything else in OU, and the Electrium set does it best.

Another important thing to consider is that Specs Koko can be inconsistent. You gotta make hard reads with it and many tournament builds throw protect on stuff to scout out choice locked options, which really hurts the effectiveness of Specs Koko. Instead, it's easier to just have a dedicated wallbreaker alongside Koko do the killing. Koko is a god tier facilitator of bringing in the wallbreaking machines because of how it forces in a very specific set of mons which are breaker food. It's not the most consistent breaker itself.

View attachment 179686

Just as I had predicted, (and subsequently getting crap for it with some people even going as far as deleting my posts) the Specs set has finally dropped from its number one spot in item usage with Electrium Z taking its spot. Even more surprising is that the Scarf set saw more usage than the Specs set in last month's usage statistics.

So what do you guys attribute these changes to and what do you guys think the future holds for Tapu Koko in the SM OU metagame?
Scarf koko is really cool, I've been leaning heavily on it recently as a revenge killer and to help against offense, here's the set I use:

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

BB for volcarona and chunking grass switchins hard before they know your set.
HP Fire means I never have to worry about kart getting out of hand.
U turn for utility and wild charge is just a very strong hit.

In my experience this koko works great on offensive teams with spikes, because while scarf koko's main role is speed control, it can clean weakened teams pretty easily once the grass/ground is removed by just spamming wild charge (recoil adds up slower than you'd think, too).

252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 240 HP / 52 Def Mew in Electric Terrain: 192-226 (47.8 - 56.3%)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna in Electric Terrain: 180-213 (59.8 - 70.7%)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran in Electric Terrain: 195-229 (50.5 - 59.3%)

I haven't seen much discussion on this but Kartana is really nice right now with Z Giga Impact growing in popularity, although Fightinium is nice if Magnezone doesn't fit well on the team. I don't have much to say about Band since I never really use it but Scarf is very consistent on the ladder. I'm curious what the public opinion on Mr. Nothing Personnel is.

Also, Kommo-O. While I appreciate its role on hyper offense as a setup mon that handles Ash-Gren, this thing is underwhelming as all hell in my experience and I don't understand the recent fascination over it in the past couple months. Does anyone have real success in tours with this? I think it has a cool niche, and Belly Drum and Kommonium Z can be cool, but really isn't worth any hype imo.

on the subject of normalium kartana, i had a quick question: is there a reason that Giga Impact is preferred over Last Resort as the normal move of choice? they both have the same BP for the Z crystal, and Last Resort seems more situationally useful than a Hyper Beam clone in some circumstances.

on the subject of normalium kartana, i had a quick question: is there a reason that Giga Impact is preferred over Last Resort as the normal move of choice? they both have the same BP for the Z crystal, and Last Resort seems more situationally useful than a Hyper Beam clone in some circumstances.
Because in most situations Giga Impact is more useful. Its always a 1-turn recharge while you have to spend up to 3 turns "charging" Last Resort before using it, not to mention switching which resets the count.

I've really been digging this mimikyu set lately and have been having some success with it on ladder on my alt Anaitis (2002 elo/86 gxe) (https://m.imgur.com/Zy5qbuj proof)

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Substitute

So let me explain,
sd,play rough, sclaw are pretty standard and not very surprising but what makes this set interesting is substitute. So i personally think Shadow sneak on mimi is pretty bad and only serves the purpose of getting some suicide chip off as it dies in most cases, but what substitute offers over sneak is something that helps ease up predictions when people try pivoting around mimi and its z and also helps you scout protects vs things like ferro and celes, on top of that substitute also lets you beat toxapex without sr chip reliably. If you are able to get behind a sub and sd you basically force your opponent to sack 1/2 mons since you have essentially have 2 subs because of disguise. Substitute also helps you punish torns and landos that try to u turn to break your disguise.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-928589086 (sub mimi cleans late game)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-928618477 (sub ends of allowing me to not need to predict)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-928841016 (sub lets me clean up mid game)

unorthodox team and I don't really save replays but this is the best I got :[

Last edited:

ithrowrocksatkids

Banned deucer.
Something cool to talk about is gastrodons increased usage. After ABR brought it I’ve seen it pop up more and more and for good reason. There are many electric types and mlatis rn that gastrodon takes advantage. I personally feel like gastrodon is a solid mon in the meta I’m curios to see what others think.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Agree on Gastrodon, it can take on the common sets of three S rank mons with a SpD set, and almost all non-Grass special attackers. Earthquake also prevents Magearna from setting up CMs, and Toxic prevent Latias' Cm as well. Paired with Torn-T, (and maybe a T-wave or Glare absorber), Gastro + Torn-T is a nice bulky core to build with. It is a more defensive approach to Rotom+Torn-T.

But it needs to run a SpD set, which leaves Gastro with low Def, so it needs a lot of defensive support. And it is still passive and weak, especially against common setup mons with DD or Magic Guard, unlike Toxapex which has access to Haze. If you really want a dedicated answer to Electrics and have defensive support for it, it can work, but I would say it is hard to decide for it when Pex can do much more.
When I build, it usually comes down to whether I want the bulky Water and Ground-type in one slot, or just use Pex and a Ground-type/Electric resist. The role compression of Gastrodon has its price, so there is a trade-off.

Hi, I'm wondering about people's thoughts on Sub+Seed+Glare Serperior.

Checks I can think of with good viability overall: mega-venusaur, heatran, bulky torn-t, zapdos, av amoongus with clear smog.

Though these, except zap, are susceptible to glare-para. While non-ice zap can miss with heat wave.
So opportunities for leaf storm boost can wear them down significantly.

Uncommon but perhaps still viable sets I can think of:
A. heart swap magearna, B. skill-swap chansey, & C. safeguard+veil ninetales-a setting up when serp is not out.

Questions I'm looking for input on (no need to answer all):
1. What do people think about those uncommon sets I listed?
2. Do alot of players depend on Misty Terrain support to help out venu/tran/other-grounded-checks ?
3. Would Roar on tran and zap be a good option?
4. Are there less-known techs/strats against this that have a niche in the meta?
5. I would really love to know what can HO do against serp if it's already behind a sub?

Thanks!

I feel like SubSeed + Glare Serperior is quite a bad choice because your only attacking move would be Leaf Storm, which is a horrible thing because you get get walled by Zap, which is getting better, and even Grass-types like Ferro. My main draw to using Serp is because it can overwhelm checks with Glare / Leech Seed and a decent mu against non Moltres stall. With a commonly resisted move with only 8 PP, as good as its utility options are, just makes Serperior an actual bad mon

A. heart swap magearna, B. skill-swap chansey, & C. safeguard+veil ninetales-a setting up when serp is not out.
I like SwapSplit Mage a lot rn, esp on more fat teams so I don't lose to reuni or the random suicune.

Chansey is already pretty stuffed with all the moves it wants, like rocks, soft boiled, wish, toxic, heal bell, counter, confide, etc, so idk about something so team specific

Would Roar on tran and zap be a good option
I've seen roar Tran on reuni weak teams, but honestly I wouldn't keep Serp in on these unless I have them sufficiently weakened.

Last edited:
I feel like SubSeed + Glare Serperior is quite a bad choice because your only attacking move would be Leaf Storm, which is a horrible thing because you get get walled by Zap, which is getting better, and even Grass-types like Ferro ... ... ...
Yep Zapdos with pressure is a very very good answer to it overall in the meta, since on stall, it also has Chansey and/or unaware Clef to deal with the pp reduced mon afterwards. Thing is, Zap usually dies if 4 storms hit, which is fine for stall, but not great for teams that depend on a healthy zap for other mons. Thank god leaf storm doesn't have 100 acc.

So I guess my concern is if you're not using stall, then sub seed serp wears down your fatter mons, for serp's teammates to break through.
I don't have a particular replay in mind right now, but I can probably fish up multiple replays that show mega venu, heatran, and/or ferro having their health reduced by at least 50% with a combination of para hax and boosted leaf storms. And like against a weakened ferro, perhaps by late game, it's gyro balls could be reduced to 0 due to sub spam, and let serp keep its sub.

I'd argue that LeechSeed+para+sub, gives a lot of offensively-oriented teams trouble, and then after some wearing down it only needs like 3 leaf storms to decimate such a team.
So yea while it can be bad against good defense, I wouldn't call it bad overall personally.

Also I forgot to mention that baiting Defog for the evasion boost, is pretty borked against offense without good pp stalling capabilities.

Anyways thanks a bunch for the feedback about SwapSplit Mage , that seems like a good option for offense.

I'm wondering what else is out there for offense teams against serp, that can turn the tide and allow offense to do its thing.

Last edited:
I usually just try to play around serp as best I can when I use a bulky offense team and try not to let it set up. I guess Volcarona can harass it with Bug Buzz since that hits through sub, same with Kommo-O. Both dislike being Glared but what can you do. Toxapex can spam Haze if Serp hasn't set up yet and scarf Greninja can U-Turn spam until Serp goes down.

The optimal Serperior (superior Serperior?) imo is this:

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Glare / Leech Seed

As the analysis will explain, the HP is so Rotom-W's Hydro Pump never breaks Substitute. Every Serp needs Substitute since it enables Glare or Leech Seed to be abused the most easily. HP Fire is basically mandatory so the Grass-resists don't wall you, but I've put in work with a Leaf Storm / Glare / Sub / Leech set in recent months, it's not complete trash. Glare is better since it supports the rest of the team more than Leech Seed does, but Leech Seed makes it incredibly hard to break. Chansey, Heatran, Celesteela, non-SG Magearna will all lose 1v1 if Serp can Substitute or Leech Seed on the switch-in.

Personally I'm a big fan of the grass snake boi because Glare and Leech Seed are such a pain to play around; all its checks (bar Zapdos) hate Glare and many struggle with Leech Seed. Even if it can't plow through the opponent it applies a shitload of pressure and forces the opponents let their mons get weakened or Glared so something else can go crazy. At some point I want to try Glare Serp + [insert wallbreaker] since stuff like Mega Heracross, Kyurem-Black, and Hoopa-Unbound can eat teams alive if their checks are paralyzed.

For SpD Heatran, I've seen a lot of people use the 128 SpD 128 Spe EVs, but I've saw the Heatran Revamp and It says 180 SpD 76 Spe EVs so I using that spread but I was wonder what changed in the meta thats making Heatran invest in less speed?

View attachment 182154
For SpD Heatran, I've seen a lot of people use the 128 SpD 128 Spe EVs, but I've saw the Heatran Revamp and It says 180 SpD 76 Spe EVs so I using that spread but I was wonder what changed in the meta thats making Heatran invest in less speed?
128 Speed let it outpace fat Landorus-T and Banded Tyranitar, but those two sets (or at least the older Fat Lando set with very little Speed) aren't as common as they used to be. Lando either makes its fatter sets invest in more speed to creep stuff like offensive Magearna, or simply runs Scarf or offensive Z move. Meanwhile, most T-tar these days are Mega T-tar, or are super fat on the SpDef side like AV T-Tar and don't run a lot of Speed. Considering all that, Heatran doesn't need the 128 Speed EVs anymore, and can just run enough to creep Rotom-W, which is what 76 Speed can do. This'll let Heatran invest in more bulk.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on Mega Altaria on the current metagame? Specifically, why isn't it viable? It seems to me like DDD Altaria with Heal Bell would actually be a viable asset on some offensive team archetypes, and while the presence of new counters such as Toxapex and Celesteela certainly hurts his viability, that alone isn't enough to make a Pokemon wholly unviable.

I barely play anymore and even when I do I'm shit at the game so I'm probably overlooking something, but on paper this seems like a Pokemon that should have a niche in OU as a Heal Bell user that fits onto offensive team archetypes without totally sapping momentum, and while it might not be as potent a sweeper as it was in Gen 6, I think considering it completely unviable is a bit harsh (Avalugg and Scolipede are still ranked on the VR for comparison). So yeah, someone explain to me why Mega Altaria is actually unusable trash and I'm an idiot for thinking otherwise please.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on Mega Altaria on the current metagame? Specifically, why isn't it viable? It seems to me like DDD Altaria with Heal Bell would actually be a viable asset on some offensive team archetypes, and while the presence of new counters such as Toxapex and Celesteela certainly hurts his viability, that alone isn't enough to make a Pokemon wholly unviable.

I barely play anymore and even when I do I'm shit at the game so I'm probably overlooking something, but on paper this seems like a Pokemon that should have a niche in OU as a Heal Bell user that fits onto offensive team archetypes without totally sapping momentum, and while it might not be as potent a sweeper as it was in Gen 6, I think considering it completely unviable is a bit harsh (Avalugg and Scolipede are still ranked on the VR for comparison). So yeah, someone explain to me why Mega Altaria is actually unusable trash and I'm an idiot for thinking otherwise please.

The problem I see with a set like that is it would have to run Roost along side Heal Bell and Dragon Dance (Assuming thats what you meant by "DDD") which means you would only have 1 attacking move because Altaria would be prone to being weared down without Roost.

Pixilate Return would be its only move which would in turn make it walled by every bulky steel type in the tier. Even if it dropped Roost for Earthquake it would still have problems with mons like Skarmory, M-Scizor, and Ferrothorn. Even after a Dragon Dance its still outpaced by common Scarfers like Lando-t, Protean Greninja, and Jirachi.

The problem I see with a set like that is it would have to run Roost along side Heal Bell and Dragon Dance (Assuming thats what you meant by "DDD") which means you would only have 1 attacking move because Altaria would be prone to being weared down without Roost.

Pixilate Return would be its only move which would in turn make it walled by every bulky steel type in the tier. Even if it dropped Roost for Earthquake it would still have problems with mons like Skarmory, M-Scizor, and Ferrothorn. Even after a Dragon Dance its still outpaced by common Scarfers like Lando-t, Protean Greninja, and Jirachi.
The thing is, being walled by Steels has always been a problem for Altaria, so this isn't exactly anything new. As for being outsped by Scarfers, neither Lando nor Greninja can actually revengekill him, and Scarf Lando in fact can be used as set-up bait;

244 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 140+ Def Altaria-Mega: 130-154 (36.8 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Altaria-Mega: 218-260 (61.7 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Greninja: 660-776 (231.5 - 272.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These are calced against the Gen 6 DDD set which could probably be optimized better for the modern metagame, as the benchmarks it hits aren't particularly relevant anymore, but the point still remains that Altaria has always had difficulty with Steels, and while there might be slightly more of them in the current metagame, as well as things like Toxapex that Altaria is never going to bypass, it still seems like he has a slight niche on offensive teams that could appreciate cleric support. Heal Bell is an incredibly valuable move for offensive teams to carry, and outside of Mega Altaria there really aren't many viable users of it that you'd try and fit onto an offensive team. Clefable, Mega Diancie, and Magearna I suppose, but they usually can't find the room for it, which isn't an issue Altaria has.

The thing is, being walled by Steels has always been a problem for Altaria, so this isn't exactly anything new. As for being outsped by Scarfers, neither Lando nor Greninja can actually revengekill him, and Scarf Lando in fact can be used as set-up bait;

244 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 140+ Def Altaria-Mega: 130-154 (36.8 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Altaria-Mega: 218-260 (61.7 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Greninja: 660-776 (231.5 - 272.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These are calced against the Gen 6 DDD set which could probably be optimized better for the modern metagame, as the benchmarks it hits aren't particularly relevant anymore, but the point still remains that Altaria has always had difficulty with Steels, and while there might be slightly more of them in the current metagame, as well as things like Toxapex that Altaria is never going to bypass, it still seems like he has a slight niche on offensive teams that could appreciate cleric support. Heal Bell is an incredibly valuable move for offensive teams to carry, and outside of Mega Altaria there really aren't many viable users of it that you'd try and fit onto an offensive team. Clefable, Mega Diancie, and Magearna I suppose, but they usually can't find the room for it, which isn't an issue Altaria has.

Ok fair point on the Scarfers lol, I didn't know you were talking about the Bulky Variant.

Maybe that niche is usable, but It would restrict team building. When other Megas like Mawile, Garchomp, Latios and even Charizard Y and Pinsir are less demanding.

I would say more but I need sleep so goodnight.

DDD Is never used without a trapper such as Magnezone or Alolan Golem, so the argument of Steel types isnt so much of the problem. Steel types like Jirachi and Shed Shell Skarm still pose a problem due to them being much harder to trap.

After seeing the ORAS DDD M.Altaria and Suicune team, I wanted to try the set for myself in SMOU, and tried at first for a Semi Stall build which turned into a Balanced team, but more on that below.

The main problems I found for Altaria is its speed and Poison types. The problems with its speed is that to out speed anything significant, a lot of bulk is given up, or the best way is to give up the speed for Bulk. Only problem is at +2, you can only viable outspeed up to M.Lopunny, leaving Zam and Scarfers all ahead of you, such as Zone, Boom Lando, Lele, Kartana, Gunk Shit Scarf Gren, Excadrill, Jirachi etc etc. At +1 its even more pitiful however, only hitting 304 Speed, letting it being outsped by max Speed LandoT and up.

Toxapex, M.Venusaur and Amoonguss completely shuts down Altaria and can threaten it with both Tspikes and Toxic to waste Heal Bells, powerful Sludge Bombs, or Clear Smog. Not only are these mons annoying for Altaria, they are also really hard to KO for teams in general, with there insane Bulk, access to recovery in Regen and Leech Seed/Synthesis, requiring yet another mon, on top of one for Steel types, to deal with Poison types. The best way is to pair it with a Lure or something that can apply pressure to it, like Gren or Fini, but even these aren't consistent.

I decided to try Z-Extrasensory Gren to lure Pex + Alolan Golem for Steel types. Alolan Golem has a really nice pairing with Altaria, mainly for its ability to trap Heatran, unlike Magnezone.

[Click for Import]

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 188 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Heal Bell

I won't go into the building process of the team, but this is the DDD spread I arrived at. 248 HP + 188 SpD allows it to avoid the 2hko from M.Alakazam, 16 Spe allows it to outspeed Ash-Gren at +2, and the rest is put into physical Bulk, allowing it to set up on the likes of M.Lopunny and Scarf LandoT.

I can tell you one key thing, DDD M.Altaria is pretty bad in smOU at the moment. It restricts building too much, and while it has nice defensive typing helping it check Ash-Gren, it lets in way too many threats in for free, and stuggles to provide much Defensive presences outside of checking Ash Gren. With the overall power creep, its 75/110/110 has become surprisingly ineffective for raw walling without resisting, and to add Zmoves on top of that, its quickly over whelmed without full investments.

I may have built around this the wrong way however, as I went with immediate ways to deal with its problems, like Lures and trappers. While the ORAS version does have Magnezone, it has no direct way of dealing with Poison types, only pressuring them slowly with the likes of Suicune. While this is viable in ORAS, I feel Toxapex needs offensive pressure to be beaten during the match, otherwise it will live until the end of the match, both shutting down M.Altaria the whole time in the process, and shutting down any chances at a bulkier team with the required offensive slots.

All in all, DDD M.Altaria feels like a very Match Up fishing pick, and if thats what you want, mons like M.Latias are better for this, as the ability to support them is far easier to implement into teams than M.Altaria. I feel if there any viability to M.Altaria, its in its defog Defensive sets, for fat balances to semi stalls, helping check Ash-Gren and help beat other offensive Hazard setters.

View attachment 179686

Sorry but are you talking about the Z Thunderbolt or Z wild Charge koko?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just the item in general but I'm guessing the T-Bolt set is seeing more usage than Wild Charge seeing as how T-Bolt is used in 63% of all Koko sets and Wild Charge is only used in 18%
While tbolts used more in general Z-Thunderbolt is much less common than Z-Wild Charge right now, you can't just look at usage stats straight up like that to assume z moves its just wrong lol. Wild Charge is pretty much only used on Z sets whereas Tbolt is used in all manor of koko sets

While tbolts used more in general Z-Thunderbolt is much less common than Z-Wild Charge right now, you can't just look at usage stats straight up like that to assume z moves its just wrong lol. Wild Charge is pretty much only used on Z sets whereas Tbolt is used in all manor of koko sets
My point was never to discuss which Z set is currently more popular and my assumption was based off of more than just Move usage. It also has a lot to do with the fact that Timid is used as the preferred nature with more than half the sets using some sort of variation of that nature with differing stats.

Jolly (which is almost always run on Dual Screens and very rarely do you see full Psyical Z wild Charge sets) and Naive make up less than 10% of Koko's more popular spreads so its kinda hard to believe that the Z Wild Charge set is more popular than the Z Thunderbolt set when you look at Koko's entire usage stats.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My point was never to discuss which Z set is currently more popular and my assumption was based off of more than just Move usage. It also has a lot to do with the fact that Timid is used as the preferred nature with more than half the sets using some sort of variation of that nature with differing stats.

Jolly (which is almost always run on Dual Screens and very rarely do you see full Psyical Z wild Charge sets) and Naive make up less than 10% of Koko's more popular spreads so its kinda hard to believe that the Z Wild Charge set is more popular than the Z Thunderbolt set when you look at Koko's entire usage stats.
and like I said, timid encapsulates a significant number of sets, not just Z electric, so you can’t exactly make an assumption off of pure usage stats like you are and have it be adequately educated. Additionally, Naive is most certainly NOT the most optimal nature used on Z Wild Charge. One of Tapu Koko’s biggest draws in the current metagame is its ability to check Torn-T arguably more consistently than anything else in the tier so throwing that away to do increase your damage output by such a slim margin is very stupid. Not only that, but a fair amount of people on the higher portions of the ladder have begun to run tbolt over taunt on dual screens as to not be sitting ducks in front of certain offensive threats and limit the pool of mons that wanna be out in front it of to ease prediction. These factors combined make your point that “no one runs jolly on z wild charge it’s only on screens” pretty silly as well all things considered. Z tbolt is easily kokos least common set at the moment besides maybe scarf and you’d be well served to do actual research into the pokemon you’re making statements about instead of making very flawed assumptions off of usage statistics

Last edited:
I've really been digging this mimikyu set lately and have been having some success with it on ladder on my alt Anaitis (2002 elo/86 gxe) (https://m.imgur.com/Zy5qbuj proof)

View attachment 180637
Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Substitute

So let me explain,
sd,play rough, sclaw are pretty standard and not very surprising but what makes this set interesting is substitute. So i personally think Shadow sneak on mimi is pretty bad and only serves the purpose of getting some suicide chip off as it dies in most cases, but what substitute offers over sneak is something that helps ease up predictions when people try pivoting around mimi and its z and also helps you scout protects vs things like ferro and celes, on top of that substitute also lets you beat toxapex without sr chip reliably. If you are able to get behind a sub and sd you basically force your opponent to sack 1/2 mons since you have essentially have 2 subs because of disguise. Substitute also helps you punish torns and landos that try to u turn to break your disguise.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-928589086 (sub mimi cleans late game)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-928618477 (sub ends of allowing me to not need to predict)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-928841016 (sub lets me clean up mid game)

unorthodox team and I don't really save replays but this is the best I got :[

So sub Mimi is some pretty spicy tech and I think it really worked well in your replays because you played well.

BUT! I just wanna say that your replays, plus recent trends, are making me absolutely adore specially based Mega Garchomp.

Garchomp has been seeing a ton of use lately because it's becoming one of the most reliable rock setters in the tier. I'm partial to Rock-Z sets because it not only lets me destroy the common defoggers and bulky grass types, it also lets me wallbreak for a teammate that appreciated the likes of Rotom-W and Celesteela being heavily weakened. Although lately I have seen people run more Dragon-Z since it really nails a good number of switch-ins that people will rely on to scout for Rock-Z, I just don't feel comfortable with Outrage in this very Fairy-laden meta.

That is until I realized that Mega-Chomp's Draco Meteor hits like a metro subway. It's unfortunate that Earthquake isn't a guaranteed KO (still better than normal Chomp...) on Magearna, but being able to threaten Rotom-W while not being as bothered by Wisp is just insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)