Project USM OU Teambuilding Competition - Week 5: Kartana

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week’s winner is Solaros & Lunaris - congratulations!

Week 4

We shall be bringing in a nice doggo to our competition this week - Zygarde-10%!
It’s a pretty cool Pokemon that features the ability to immediately threaten Ground-immunes with TArrows and has that annoying move Glare (or Toxic). I’ve been trying it out myself and it’s not completely terrible, although you just have to refrain from clicking Zygarde-10% like you would with Zygarde every time you run into something like Heatran or Mega Charizard Y. Let’s see what you guys in the community can come up with!

Remember when Zygarde-50% used to be a HO staple?

So this is a pretty standard dual screens HO that features DD Zydog with Dragonium Z, its actually one of favorite teams I've ever made actually. Excadrill is chosen as the lead because it can bypass Magic Bounce and also provide hazard control. Tapu Koko is screen setter since Zydog is so frail that even Alolan Ninetails' hail puts in range of KOs even with screens up. Zydog is DD since screens actually gives it Zygarde-50%'s bulk so it can actually set up without dying seconds later. Magearna is a staple of HO due to its amazing bulk and sweeping potential. Mega-Gyarados is chosen as it can intimdate a threat then just set up and win. And, since this is Koko Screens. Hawlucha was added for its amazing late game presence.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I’ll post a team in a couple of days, but hopefully the subs will help your analysis :blobthumbsup:

Green Dog Days - CB Zygarde Offense

Before I begin describing the team, I think my opinion is similar to Veez in that ZyDog is...underwhelming and feels outclassed by Chomp, offensive Lando and even something like the new Krook. It being ranked is kind of saying “Zygarde-50 wasn’t broken, Thousand Arrows is”. Irregardless, I love unconventional building and went “Oh, you’re approaching me?” when this was posted. Anyway, onto the team. I went back to two of my favorite cores from the pre-Zyg ban: ZygGren and Glarespam. While I lost significant bulk with ZyDog, I gained Speed, which in tandem with para and dual priority, made me feel good about lacking a Scarfer. Serp has done what its always done, wearing down fatter Grasses and bulky Waters that Ash-Gren and ZyDog have trouble beating. Greninja is also standard, with Spikes hurting the opposition to get in range of Shuriken/ESpeed. With these three in mind, I set out for my defensive core, deciding on AV Mage, Torn-T and SR Gliscor. They give me a Steel, two Ground immunities, a second Electric immunity, Rocks, Defog and two pivots. Mage is also a great Dark resist, which with Serp can generally ensure Ash-Greninja isn’t rolling over me. Gliscor is my Heatran check; because I didn’t want to interrupt Glarespam I exchanged Toxic for Knock Off, which hurts the checks of my offensive core even more alongside Spikes. The EV spread creeps to Modest Heatran, with Defense EVs to take PR into Sucker from Maw. Lastly, Torn-T gives a Bulu/Kart check, which I find necessary on ZyDog teams. That EV spread is tailored to outspeed Scarf Zone, take a Gren Ice Beam from full and a dump in Defense. This is definitely not my best team, nor is it one I can pilot properly (i. e. Gyro Ferrothorn is really annoying), but I do believe in the right hands it can be successful.

Last edited:

I think zydog is a pretty awful Pokemon in OU. It's too weak to 2HKO most stuff and simultaneously too frail to run a band set, and setup sets NEED screens. I decided to build around the following SubSplit set, which serves as a janky way to soften up walls that bother the rest of the team.

Zygarde-10% @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Toxic
- Thousand Arrows

Thanks to thousand arrows blasting steels, the dog can toxic pretty much every single one of its checks. It brings in stuff like bulu, tangrowth, lando, fini, and is walled by gliscor, Scizor, defensive ferro to name a few. So i partnered it with stuff that shares similar checks or breaks through those counters -- Ash Greninja and Zard X. You'll see none of these require Zydog to be more than 351 speed, which is why I dropped some evs from speed into HP, which lets you sometimes eat Torn uturn with a sub and switch in to heatran more comfortably. You have paltry HP compared to normal zygarde, so painsplit is a usable option to actually get more subs. Laugh at alomamola.

Zard X is as always perennially sleeper OP, and wins at +1 once you can clear any of the aforementioned fat stuff. I run adamant and outrage. Once it's in, it's in, so I don't bother with keeping it alive. Setup and click nukes. Greninja is speed control and cleaner. People usually make dumb plays so that it doesn't transform. Just click spikes. FlyZ torn is another broken support mon. Defogif they have webs or your zard isn't evolved yet, but otherwise, just hurricane into zmove. Pretty cheesy.

Spdef bulu is here to not auto lose to medicham, Koko offense, and Lele. Protect can be synhesis if you want, but I also like the stall vs rain. Terrain is nice for the rest of the team; It’s late game scarf lando insurance and also doesn't impact zygardes ability to click tarrows.

Bringing up the rear is trickroom, attack-boosting Stakakakatataka. I am partial to stakataka, but this can also be either fat/TR magearna or grassy seed lucha if you are a hyper offensive noob like me. I prefer the wall creature because +1 gyro ball ohkoing resists is too juicy and you also get a free win vs those mindless full trick room teams. From other testing w/ teams, I've settled on psych Z. You can beat taunt and set TR while making stone edge 100% accurate. Fun Mon.

So yeah. Don't use zydog. SD garchomp is just outright better imo.
https://pokepast.es/b30654a8194f22fb

Last edited:

https://pokepast.es/6ee88d1c31dead47

zygarde-10% is a version that may not be used much but is interesting. Do not underestimate. It has a good base attack and especially speed. CB is a good support to be able to hit harder with stab and priority. Toxic in the end I find interesting and useful to wear more passive mons that are difficult to eliminate by other means. Behind I had thought as a Gearna partner but I decided on my favorite mon Mawile. They also have the same double type and cover the dragon well. There is not much to add. TPunch is for things like Pex but Knockoff is also viable in this set. Seeing the path of this team the next one is Ash Ninja with Spikes since the others can take advantage of that pressure added to the Heatran SRs. Bulu would arrive here to cover the ground spam team and above all give support to Heatran, which completes the core of WGF main types in that order. Tran is my mon Z with Taunt and Magma. a set that can go well with stall match up. Finally, something immune to EQ was lacking and it has Defog. I came up with TornaT with its Rocky pivot set doesn't have much else.

https://pokepast.es/e60ca03a3040d0e1

Here's a para-spam team that's mostly for fun.

For Zydog, I combined both glare and toxic with sub, similar to posted by others above.
Toxic for slow stally mons, while glare for any switchins like serp, torn and scarf lando, while a chance to cheese something like celesteela easier.
I opted for Metronome on it to have a good chance to create holes in stall. It's HP might be able to optimize better to get an additional sub, not sure.
EV'd to outspeed Serp, while rest of evs put into HP& spDef to absorb scalds better with sub.

Another reason for paraspam, other than fun and cheesing through bad situations, is cuz I read that Twave-CM-Clef + StoredPower-mLat is good together ... so why not combine that with glare if I'm using poochy right?

I'm going for Thunda on Lat cuz you can't have enough para-para. Gives me another way to get past celesteela, while hopefully helping to cheese through AV mage and mSciz better. Lat is ev'd to underspeed any lati@s that uses draco meteor, and predict with roost to take advantage of draco's spatk drops.

Mage's weird set is to help against psy-spam , while potentially crippling a paralyzed heatran, so that ClefLat can do its thang.

Lastly, the offensive tTar set is mostly here to both threaten stall and check non-bug-z 'Rona (I'd have to predict and take a bug-z with somethin else).
Ttar's attacks are chosen to beat quag and skarm and anything else stall pretty much by using screech, which unaware doesn't ignore. Outspeeds/creeps skarm.
But this slot is mostly for a way to beat 'Rona, which would otherwise decimate the team, and honestly there's likely a better option for TTar's slot.

Have fun makin' ppl salty with ur yellow magic ...

Replays -
low-ladder and the stall player probably not a great one, but here's metronome zydog + mLat tearing up a stall team together:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967276684

another stall battle: i was too impatient with zydog and got it scalded, but here's ttar trapping and taking out pex:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967336498

unfort no zydog usage in this battle, but I did wear down volcarona to be in tArrows range, so dog became an option to prevent rona from setting up again:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967341006

Last edited:
My Zydog Balance, aka. "Fuck Steel Types."

https://pokepast.es/12621784da5d4e71

This abortion of a team is something I figured I'd make to test out Zygarde-10% in OU and to actually try utilizing Salazzle's unique set of traits to punish the many Steel types (and Pex) that plague the OU tier.

The idea is rather simple in nature: Zygarde-10% threatens slower balance teams with its ridiculously strong Thousand Arrows and frequently forces switches into Grass types, which I can punish by doubling into Salazzle or Volcarona. Salazzle can severely threaten most Magearna variants with Toxic or Flamethrower and using a combination of Substitute and Disable can prove extraordinarily annoying if it's fast enough to scout for a Ground move beforehand, giving various threats on Balance and Stall a headache. Mega Tyranitar is my dedicated Stealth Rocker and is running an unorthodox spread so it can lure in Landorus-Therian. Tornadus is a consistent means of hazard control. Landorus-T's flagship Scarf set is used here as a pinch pivot, a revenge killer, and generally just a nice blend of defense and offense into one teamslot.

This team seeks to remove Heatran and Toxapex from the game ASAP so Volcarona can wreck house with its STABs whilst relying on Mega TTar's bulk and utility to lure in and deal with things that would otherwise give my team trouble.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-963362574 - Zydog cleaning house lategame after winning the weather war.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967111376 - Mega TTar used Ice Beam to break past Gliscor; my opponent proceeded to forfeit, as he would be unable to withstand Zydog's onslaught thereafter.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/tornadus-therian::sm/rotom-wash::sm/kartana::sm/diancie-mega::sm/ferrothorn:
Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 88 HP / 160 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
Ok I FUCKING HATE Zydog, it's just terrible to build around. Me and Kekbreon tried a fuckton of variations but this is imo the best we've made around this unmon. The team capitalizes on weakening stuff like Celesteela, Zapdos, and Mega Venusaur with Zydog, Tornadus-T, Mega Diancie, and hazard stack in order to clean up a way for Choice Scarf Kartana which is the wincon here. id never use this team and zydog in general in serious tourament battles

bwahahaha :blobpex: thanks for joining in even though this Pokemon is really difficult to build around and play.
With that in mind, let us take a look at what the submissions are!
:sm/zygarde-10%:

Team A by Sagisolar
:sm/excadrill::sm/tapu_koko::sm/zygarde-10%::sm/magearna::sm/gyarados-mega::sm/hawlucha:
So this is a pretty standard dual screens HO that features DD Zydog with Dragonium Z, its actually one of favorite teams I've ever made actually. Excadrill is chosen as the lead because it can bypass Magic Bounce and also provide hazard control. Tapu Koko is screen setter since Zydog is so frail that even Alolan Ninetails' hail puts in range of KOs even with screens up. Zydog is DD since screens actually gives it Zygarde-50%'s bulk so it can actually set up without dying seconds later. Magearna is a staple of HO due to its amazing bulk and sweeping potential. Mega-Gyarados is chosen as it can intimdate a threat then just set up and win. And, since this is Koko Screens. Hawlucha was added for its amazing late game presence.

Team B by Solaros & Lunaris
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/serperior::sm/magearna::sm/greninja-ash::sm/gliscor::sm/tornadus-therian:
Before I begin describing the team, I think my opinion is similar to Veez in that ZyDog is...underwhelming and feels outclassed by Chomp, offensive Lando and even something like the new Krook. It being ranked is kind of saying “Zygarde-50 wasn’t broken, Thousand Arrows is”. Irregardless, I love unconventional building and went “Oh, you’re approaching me?” when this was posted. Anyway, onto the team. I went back to two of my favorite cores from the pre-Zyg ban: ZygGren and Glarespam. While I lost significant bulk with ZyDog, I gained Speed, which in tandem with para and dual priority, made me feel good about lacking a Scarfer. Serp has done what its always done, wearing down fatter Grasses and bulky Waters that Ash-Gren and ZyDog have trouble beating. Greninja is also standard, with Spikes hurting the opposition to get in range of Shuriken/ESpeed. With these three in mind, I set out for my defensive core, deciding on AV Mage, Torn-T and SR Gliscor. They give me a Steel, two Ground immunities, a second Electric immunity, Rocks, Defog and two pivots. Mage is also a great Dark resist, which with Serp can generally ensure Ash-Greninja isn’t rolling over me. Gliscor is my Heatran check; because I didn’t want to interrupt Glarespam I exchanged Toxic for Knock Off, which hurts the checks of my offensive core even more alongside Spikes. The EV spread creeps to Modest Heatran, with Defense EVs to take PR into Sucker from Maw. Lastly, Torn-T gives a Bulu/Kart check, which I find necessary on ZyDog teams. That EV spread is tailored to outspeed Scarf Zone, take a Gren Ice Beam from full and a dump in Defense. This is definitely not my best team, nor is it one I can pilot properly (i. e. Gyro Ferrothorn is really annoying), but I do believe in the right hands it can be successful.

Team C by Veez
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/greninja-ash::sm/charizard-mega-x::sm/tornadus-therian::sm/tapu_bulu::sm/stakataka:
Thanks to thousand arrows blasting steels, the dog can toxic pretty much every single one of its checks. It brings in stuff like bulu, tangrowth, lando, fini, and is walled by gliscor, Scizor, defensive ferro to name a few. So i partnered it with stuff that shares similar checks or breaks through those counters -- Ash Greninja and Zard X. You'll see none of these require Zydog to be more than 351 speed, which is why I dropped some evs from speed into HP, which lets you sometimes eat Torn uturn with a sub and switch in to heatran more comfortably. You have paltry HP compared to normal zygarde, so painsplit is a usable option to actually get more subs. Laugh at alomamola.

Zard X is as always perennially sleeper OP, and wins at +1 once you can clear any of the aforementioned fat stuff. I run adamant and outrage. Once it's in, it's in, so I don't bother with keeping it alive. Setup and click nukes. Greninja is speed control and cleaner. People usually make dumb plays so that it doesn't transform. Just click spikes. FlyZ torn is another broken support mon. Defogif they have webs or your zard isn't evolved yet, but otherwise, just hurricane into zmove. Pretty cheesy.

Spdef bulu is here to not auto lose to medicham, Koko offense, and Lele. Protect can be synhesis if you want, but I also like the stall vs rain. Terrain is nice for the rest of the team; It’s late game scarf lando insurance and also doesn't impact zygardes ability to click tarrows.

Bringing up the rear is trickroom, attack-boosting Stakakakatataka. I am partial to stakataka, but this can also be either fat/TR magearna or grassy seed lucha if you are a hyper offensive noob like me. I prefer the wall creature because +1 gyro ball ohkoing resists is too juicy and you also get a free win vs those mindless full trick room teams. From other testing w/ teams, I've settled on psych Z. You can beat taunt and set TR while making stone edge 100% accurate. Fun Mon.

So yeah. Don't use zydog. SD garchomp is just outright better imo.

Team D by Hacci
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/mawile-mega::sm/greninja-ash::sm/tapu_bulu::sm/heatran::sm/tornadus-therian:
zygarde-10% is a version that may not be used much but is interesting. Do not underestimate. It has a good base attack and especially speed. CB is a good support to be able to hit harder with stab and priority. Toxic in the end I find interesting and useful to wear more passive mons that are difficult to eliminate by other means. Behind I had thought as a Gearna partner but I decided on my favorite mon Mawile. They also have the same double type and cover the dragon well. There is not much to add. TPunch is for things like Pex but Knockoff is also viable in this set. Seeing the path of this team the next one is Ash Ninja with Spikes since the others can take advantage of that pressure added to the Heatran SRs. Bulu would arrive here to cover the ground spam team and above all give support to Heatran, which completes the core of WGF main types in that order. Tran is my mon Z with Taunt and Magma. a set that can go well with stall match up. Finally, something immune to EQ was lacking and it has Defog. I came up with TornaT with its Rocky pivot set doesn't have much else.

Team E by Hashg Skynyrd
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/heatran::sm/tapu_bulu::sm/scizor-mega::sm/tornadus-therian::sm/keldeo:

Team F by JinLong88
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/ferrothorn::sm/magearna::sm/clefable::sm/latias-mega::sm/tyranitar:
Here's a para-spam team that's mostly for fun.

For Zydog, I combined both glare and toxic with sub, similar to posted by others above.
Toxic for slow stally mons, while glare for any switchins like serp, torn and scarf lando, while a chance to cheese something like celesteela easier.
I opted for Metronome on it to have a good chance to create holes in stall. It's HP might be able to optimize better to get an additional sub, not sure.
EV'd to outspeed Serp, while rest of evs put into HP& spDef to absorb scalds better with sub.

Another reason for paraspam, other than fun and cheesing through bad situations, is cuz I read that Twave-CM-Clef + StoredPower-mLat is good together ... so why not combine that with glare if I'm using poochy right?

I'm going for Thunda on Lat cuz you can't have enough para-para. Gives me another way to get past celesteela, while hopefully helping to cheese through AV mage and mSciz better. Lat is ev'd to underspeed any lati@s that uses draco meteor, and predict with roost to take advantage of draco's spatk drops.

Mage's weird set is to help against psy-spam , while potentially crippling a paralyzed heatran, so that ClefLat can do its thang.

Lastly, the offensive tTar set is mostly here to both threaten stall and check non-bug-z 'Rona (I'd have to predict and take a bug-z with somethin else).
Ttar's attacks are chosen to beat quag and skarm and anything else stall pretty much by using screech, which unaware doesn't ignore. Outspeeds/creeps skarm.
But this slot is mostly for a way to beat 'Rona, which would otherwise decimate the team, and honestly there's likely a better option for TTar's slot.

Have fun makin' ppl salty with ur yellow magic ...
low-ladder and the stall player probably not a great one, but here's metronome zydog + mLat tearing up a stall team together:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967276684

another stall battle: i was too impatient with zydog and got it scalded, but here's ttar trapping and taking out pex:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967336498

unfort no zydog usage in this battle, but I did wear down volcarona to be in tArrows range, so dog became an option to prevent rona from setting up again:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967341006

Team G by Dreadfury
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/volcarona::sm/salazzle::sm/tornadus-therian::sm/tyranitar-mega::sm/landorus-therian:
https://pokepast.es/12621784da5d4e71
This abortion of a team is something I figured I'd make to test out Zygarde-10% in OU and to actually try utilizing Salazzle's unique set of traits to punish the many Steel types (and Pex) that plague the OU tier.

The idea is rather simple in nature: Zygarde-10% threatens slower balance teams with its ridiculously strong Thousand Arrows and frequently forces switches into Grass types, which I can punish by doubling into Salazzle or Volcarona. Salazzle can severely threaten most Magearna variants with Toxic or Flamethrower and using a combination of Substitute and Disable can prove extraordinarily annoying if it's fast enough to scout for a Ground move beforehand, giving various threats on Balance and Stall a headache. Mega Tyranitar is my dedicated Stealth Rocker and is running an unorthodox spread so it can lure in Landorus-Therian. Tornadus is a consistent means of hazard control. Landorus-T's flagship Scarf set is used here as a pinch pivot, a revenge killer, and generally just a nice blend of defense and offense into one teamslot.

This team seeks to remove Heatran and Toxapex from the game ASAP so Volcarona can wreck house with its STABs whilst relying on Mega TTar's bulk and utility to lure in and deal with things that would otherwise give my team trouble.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-963362574 - Zydog cleaning house lategame after winning the weather war.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-967111376 - Mega TTar used Ice Beam to break past Gliscor; my opponent proceeded to forfeit, as he would be unable to withstand Zydog's onslaught thereafter.

Team H by Egor
:sm/zygarde-10%::sm/tornadus-therian::sm/rotom-wash::sm/kartana::sm/diancie-mega::sm/ferrothorn:
Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 88 HP / 160 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
Ok I FUCKING HATE Zydog, it's just terrible to build around. Me and Kekbreon tried a fuckton of variations but this is imo the best we've made around this unmon. The team capitalizes on weakening stuff like Celesteela, Zapdos, and Mega Venusaur with Zydog, Tornadus-T, Mega Diancie, and hazard stack in order to clean up a way for Choice Scarf Kartana which is the wincon here. id never use this team and zydog in general in serious tourament battles

You have until Friday to vote!

Nearly everyone voted C - congrats Veez!

Week 5

:sm/Kartana:
Wow you are so unoriginal!

Yes, Kartana is one of the top-tier threats in USM OU, and has many effective sets. However, it has seen rise of many new sets since its last debut on the Teambuilding Competition project in 2017. Show us your team for Kartana! Submissions end on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)