Resource USM OU Sample Teams v2 (up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tío Wombacho

I COULD BE BANNED!
Has anyone thought about making a not-so-competitive sample team? I mean, it would be good for the newcomers that want to try other pokes apart from the 15 that are repeated in every single sample here. It gets kinda boring

Has anyone thought about making a not-so-competitive sample team? I mean, it would be good for the newcomers that want to try other pokes apart from the 15 that are repeated in every single sample here. It gets kinda boring
The whole point of these samples and the site as a whole is competitive Pokemon and the samples are supposed to help people get into competitive. If they want to use shit that isn’t competitive, that’s their prerogative but it isn’t our job to put something like that in the samples.

Last edited:

Sayuze

Banned deucer.

Why is this team in sample teams? No disrespect at all to my friend suapah, but this team lacks a fire resist and if the point of sample teams is to introduce certain playstyles to newer players, wouldn’t a team like this just be inefficient at doing so? Especially on ladder, when there are more fire-types than Heatran. Not to bash this team or anything, I think it can definitely be good in the right matchup but this is probably not suitable for a sample team imo.

Edit: in all honesty, I think half of the sample teams or so need an update, not just this one. Please consider this

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Heatran's Fire STAB is still a threat if your Alakazam hasn't Mega Evolved yet.

And hard-switching Mega Alakazam into Heatran every time is risky considering it might be Steelium or Grassium Z too:

252+ SpA Heatran Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 276-325 (109.9 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 218-257 (86.8 - 102.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Also Heatran definitely isn't the only Fire-type on ladder: Volcarona, Mega Charizard X/Y, Victini, Blacephalon,...

Heatran's Fire STAB is still a threat if your Alakazam hasn't Mega Evolved yet.

And hard-switching Mega Alakazam into Heatran every time is risky considering it might be Steelium or Grassium Z too:

252+ SpA Heatran Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 276-325 (109.9 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 218-257 (86.8 - 102.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Also Heatran definitely isn't the only Fire-type on ladder: Volcarona, Mega Charizard X/Y, Victini, Blacephalon,...
yea, that was an oversight on my part. whoops, will delete post.

ThelordofbadRNG

Banned deucer.
Here are two teams I think are decent enough for samples.

https://pokepast.es/ecec88193abb7532

https://pokepast.es/a627037cfcf9939b

Well,the first team is a standard maw+chomp build. You just set rocks with chomp and maybe soften a few mons and try to bring in maw by either VoltTurning or making a few aggressive switches and break or even sweep. Kartana is for speed control. You get the point.

Now the second team is a Medi+Koko build. It plays a lot like the maw build ngl. But its a bit tran weak so I have bulldoze ferro to hit tran on the switch. Ferro is also my koko switch in. I'm not sure why I have roost specs koko but I think it was because I don't have a good flying resist and koko gets worn down rly quickly. I also have a bulky scarf rachi for outspeeding zam and m lop. I kinda forgot why I have such a weird spread on rachi but its prolly cuz mag as I remember. You could run 252 atk 252 speed with jolly if you want to.

Note: You could run AOA maw with fire fang cuz sciz is kinda annoying for the first build and yea. That's all I got. Peace!

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Here are two teams I think are decent enough for samples.

https://pokepast.es/ecec88193abb7532

https://pokepast.es/a627037cfcf9939b

Well,the first team is a standard maw+chomp build. You just set rocks with chomp and maybe soften a few mons and try to bring in maw by either VoltTurning or making a few aggressive switches and break or even sweep. Kartana is for speed control. You get the point.

Now the second team is a Medi+Koko build. It plays a lot like the maw build ngl. But its a bit tran weak so I have bulldoze ferro to hit tran on the switch. Ferro is also my koko switch in. I'm not sure why I have roost specs koko but I think it was because I don't have a good flying resist and koko gets worn down rly quickly. I also have a bulky scarf rachi for outspeeding zam and m lop. I kinda forgot why I have such a weird spread on rachi but its prolly cuz mag as I remember. You could run 252 atk 252 speed with jolly if you want to.

Note: You could run AOA maw with fire fang cuz sciz is kinda annoying for the first build and yea. That's all I got. Peace!
Do you have any replays?

Thanks for the update Finch. I saw that the Ske team has not been updated, but wouldn't something like Ske's first team in his team archive post (also an SD Mawile team) be more up to date for the samples?

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.

M-Mawile + Rockium Z Garchomp Bulky Offense by MSU

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Fire Fang

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Toxic

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 220 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is a Mawile team that revolves around SD Garchomp, Scarf Landorus-T and Tangrowth-Toxapex for a defensive backbone while Ash-Greninja cleans up. I think this team would be good for the thread because it utilizes standard teachings and has ways to handle most of the metagame. The biggest threats to this team are sd grounds, medicham, and tapu bulu to a extent. explaining some of the spreads now

M-Mawile outspeeds most AV and Defensive Magearnas and hits them with Fire Fang. Ice punch hits ground types such as Gliscor, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Thunder Punch hits Celesteela and Toxapex and Play Rough is the main stab move mawile abuses. AV Tangrowth is standard with some defensive ev's to tank +1 z giga impact kartana from full

+1 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Tangrowth: 340-400 (84.3 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ash-Greninja is Specs with spikes and can run hydro pump over surf if needed. Ash-greninja has potential to win most games because of its offensive typing, speed, and its ability to lay spikes in the battle which pressures teams and forces them to defog. It's ash-gren form makes it stronger and can clean most teams once its checks are weakened throughout the course of the battle.

SD Rockium Z Garchomp gets up rocks and forces out most flying types such as Zapdos and Tornadus-T. After a SD it can get off good damage to tapu bulu, celesteela, and landorus-t as well. ground-rock coverage hits most of the metagame which makes this set a safe and reliable pick.

Toxapex sets up toxic spikes and is extremely bothersome for the metagame because of its typing and its ability regenerator which allows it to keep living to spread status on the battlefield and pivot in and out. Bold Nature with 8 Defense ev's allows it to live a scarf landorus-t earthquake after rocks I just had a extra ev so I put it in defense for haze reasons I guess (could come into play vs m-scizor)

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Toxapex: 222-264 (73.2 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

and last but not least Scarf Landorus-T on this team is the offensive pivot which has toxic to hit zapdos, tapu bulu, etc and defog to get hazards off the field if needed. 208 speed ev's allows it to outspeed +1 Kommo-o.

will send and provide replays later if needed. thought this would make a good sample team but not sure. thanks for reading

Stallbreaker HO
By: PlNKaCHU

An Hero (Landorus-Therian) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Meat Grinder (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Cup'a Covfefe (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Kurosaki (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Defog
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Equalizer (Hawlucha) @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Thanatos (Blacephalon) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flame Charge
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

The RMT explains everything in more depth, but for simplicity I will also provide succinct descriptions and roles here.

Is your standard HO suicide lead. Sets rocks, does damage until it dies. Rock Tomb allows you to cripple their anti-lead and gives you a chance to set up your rocks or kill your opponent's mon to put them down one.

Is who I believe sets this team apart from other HO. I included strong stallbreaking capabilities on this team to widen its matchup spread without sacrificing its offensive capabilities. The dual threat that Gyarados provides is essential to this team's success, especially against stall.

Provides massive wallbreaking capabilities, plus all the benifits that Psychic Terrain gives this team. Has good matchups against the other Tapus, which allows it to keep its terrain up.

Standard cleaner set. The wallbreaking elsewhere on the team sets sweeps up for it.

Is still a good option for Psychic Terrain teams, as a well placed switch in to it will very quickly turn a game around. Stone Edge>Roost covers the common switch-ins and fits the general theme of very aggressive HO.

A set and role I designed specifically for this team. Special Attack boosting EVs and Flame Charge allow you to pick off a weakened mon to set up a sweep and has breaking capabilities in Ghostium Z. Benefits the most on the team from the priority blocking that Psychic Terrain provides.

I wrote this team a good two years ago, and in my opinion, its relevance in this meta remains to this day. Eternally good mons like Lele and Kartana keep a strong support for tech choices like Mega Gyarados' presence on non-screens HO, and the unique Blacephalon set to fit better alongside M-Gyara's stallbreaking capabilities. This team is basically my baby and I have put much thought and effort into its completion from the version that was written way back when. While I suck too much to get it past 1900, the team in others' hands has performed well in the 1900-2000 ELO range. I believe this fits the Sample thread because it has depth in terms of its skill ceiling. On the surface it is very simple balls-out Hyper Offense, but there are many quirks to discover through its use, many of which are detailed in the RMT.

Last edited:

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
This cool team I built with Z Dig Gren and Keldeo. I truly think this team is sample worthy.
Z Dig Greninja and Keldeo work great together, since Gren can bait out threats to Keldeo, like Magearna, Toxapex, or Magnezone and can destroy them with a Ground Z move.
The rest are just stuff I needed, like a stealth rocker (Tyranitar), a pivot (Zapdos), or a strong mega (Alakazam), and a special wall (AV Mag)
Hope you like it! :)

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Scald

Greninja @ Groundium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dig
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 52 SpA / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Iron Head

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 212 HP / 240 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Defog
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 148 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

In both of those Bulu/Scizor/Heatran teams, Curse Scizor is the Protean Gren check - it's just a bit shaky if you don't know which Gren they're running yet. If they don't bring HP Fire (few do), then Curse M-Scizor can switch in more or less freely on Low Kick, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, Z-Dig, etc. Hydro Pump obviously does a bunch, but M-Scizor can scout and Roost it off if it needs to, as Hydro only does ~45% to a mega'd Scizor. It's definitely a shortcoming of Paoisd's team because of how slow everything is, but Ske Mask has Lando and Koko to revenge Protean Ninja if it gets a surprise kill on Bulu/Sciz.
But what if the Protean ninja is running hidden power fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)