Resource USM OU Role Compendium

Since Amoonguss is making some sucssess with the AV set, doesn't deserves to be on the "special wall" category too?
Also, does Jirachi really deserves an "offensive pivot" (maybe "Z-move setup" category) mention? The only set that really get some use is the defensive one and the Z-Celebrate is kinda of a early SM set

I think that Alakazam (Non-Mega) should be put in the niche Special Wallbreakers section. It does its job pretty well, and its ranking on the VR with the Life Orb set indicates that its being used in more of a wallbreaker-like fashion

I don't see CBTini as a niche set, it's getting its own analysis and still is a very capable breaker and momentum grabber. In my eyes is more viable than CB stakataka, for example

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sets VR was the reason those Tini sets are classified as niche, but the thread is a bit out of date right now. I’ll be shifting Choice Tini to non niche in a bit

Last edited:

Wallbreakers:

I definitely think that Gliscor deserves to be added. The swords dance set has the capability to break through common defensive cores found on balance, such as Clefable + Toxapex, Ferrothorn + Toxapex, while also having the capacity to break through other common cores found on bulky offence such as Ferrothorn + Lando, Clefable + Gastrodon + Tornadus and Scizor + Heatran + Gastrodon. Similarly to Gliscor, it has the capability to tear through most common defensive cores, in addition, it has the ability to break through the same defensive cores with its Choice Band set while its Groundium Z sets has the capability to break through mons such as Hippowdon, Reuniclus and Celesteela.
In similar vein to Zygarde, Swampert should definitely be listed as a wallbreaker. On rain, it serves as a fantastic answer to 'mons such as toxapex and celesteela, while having the ability to immensely pressure - if not break - 'mons such as amoonguss, tapu bulu and venusaur.
Plus if peli is listed why isn't this?

(♀)

Both Blacephalon and Victini should be mobed to the niche section. Both are ranked below B- on the viability rankings and the sets viability rankings respectively. Not much else to say really. I'm not too certain about these submissions, but I do have confidence that these two deserved to be listed as special wallbreakers. Latias has the ability to set up on the majority of balance staples, including
(but not limited to) Gliscor, Gastrodon, Celesteela and Tornadus and easily break past said staples. Reuniclus also possesses the same abilities as Latias - having the ability to set up on most common balance and bulky offence staples, though it has the ability to decimate steels upon switchins.

Stallbreakers:

Gliscor should definitely be added to setup based stallbreakers. Its sd set is currently one of the tier's best stallbreakers and the compendium should reflect this. Blacephalon should be moved to niche, because vr rankings rules. I'm genuinely surprised that Mawile isn't listed as a stallbreaker. One of Mawile's greatest niches is its ability to decimate most common stall builds as it not only breaks past all unaware users and has no trouble breaking past stall staples, including its own dedicated switch in - namely skarmory and zapdos. While I'm not to sure if magearna should be added, but Calm Mind sets does allow it to break past common stall staples, including Chansey, which is 2hko'd by the combination of Twinkle Tackle + anything else, whilst also having the ability to break past the vast majority of unaware mons (the outlier being pyuk) and breaks past everything else with ease. Heracross falls into a similar category to Mawile, as it is able to ignore the majority of unaware abusers or in the case of clefable, break past it after living a neutral moonblast and 2hko'ing it with rock blast. Nasty Plot hoopa can also be fitted into this category, as stall has no defensive counterplay against it.

Similarly to Mawile, CB tyranitar has the ability to 2hko literally everything, barring certain niche picks, including quagsire and buzzwole - though the former is 2hko'd after any prior damage. Mega Tyranitar also has the capability to break through stall, though not as consistently as its base form, thought it does have the advantage of being able to switch up moves and get up rocks. DD kinda falls into setup based, as it can break past everything at +1, and can 2hko quagsire after 1 layer of spikes, but whatever.

Walls:

I don't ever recall a time where Gliscor has ever used a physically defensive wall, and even if it was used as a physdef wall in the past, it no longer runs a physically defensive spread. Skarmory should be moved to niche due to the vr rule. If Suicune can be listed as a physdef wall, there's no reason not to include reuniclus, which not only runs a physically defensive spread, but has the capability to wall out a large majority of the meta, including lopunny, medicham, landorus and a non boosted / scarf locked kartana. Similarly to gliscor, toxapex no longer runs a physically defensive spread.

Gliscor runs heavy special defence investment, and can wall a decent amount of 'mons, including the obvious heatran, magnezone, magerana, choice locked greninja and non ice beam latios. I'm not too certain about this one, but I do have confidence that it is worthy of a placement.

Skarmory should be removed from mixed walls altogether, as specially defensive sets are incredibly sub par in the current meta and is outclassed by celesteela. Hippowdon should be moved out of niche, due to the vr rankings rule.

Pivots:

Gliscor should be added to both offensive and defensive pivots, as it possesses the ability to switch into a lot of things without losing momentum. Not much else to say.

Clerics:

While not the most consistent option, lopunny does have the capability to run healing wish without much consequence, as the last moveslot is generally liberal. Healing Wish has been used to success in various tours and should be added.

Entry Hazards:

just move this to niche.

Suicide Leads:

lead garchomp hasn't been used to success this generation, Nihilego has shifted away from using lead sets and lead skarm is unviable, so the compendium should reflect that.

Hazard Removal/Prevention:
(♂)

Defog on Mega Latios is a viable option, especially on teams that need multiple forms or cannot fit another form of hazard removal, and has been used to success by various players. Skarm is bad, move niche etc. etc.Both Hydreigon and Thundurus really doesn't have the moveset to accomodate defog in its moveset.

Choice Item Users:

Forgive me, but i've been typing for a long time now and i'm starting to get tired, so i apologise for the shorter descriptions.
Black Kyurem hasn't utilised a cb set this generation, CB Staka is largely outclassed by OTR and the meta is heavily against terrakion, yet alone its cb set.

Volcanion really ever runs a sub set. Honestly you can move this to niche, but there's no real reason to use it in the current meta.

What niche does Scarf Hoopa-U have over other viable scarfers? It loses its primary niche of being able to immensely pressure bulkier builds for nothing notable. Its speed tier leaves a lot to be desired and makes it more susceptible to pursuit trapping from the likes of Weavile and Tyranitar and choice lock abuse altogether. The same can be said about Scarf Kyurem and Tapu Bulu, as they offer no noticable niche (although kyurem does have the potential to be a decent scarfer) in exchange for their breaking prowess.

Blace to niche etc. etc. Though i'm questionable about this one, I believe that Garchomp should be moved to niche, if not removed entirely. First off, it's unlisted in the sets vr, which isn't as important, but whatever. Secondly, there are simply so many things going against it in the current meta. The rise of its checks, the fall of its targets and mons that abuse its easily exploitable stab really makes garchomp a liability in most matchups. The exact came can be said about Gengar, although to a lesser extent. Screens HO easily exploits its stab, balance has various countermeasures, whether that's a faster scarfer or a ghost resist, it really struggles to clean end game, especially considering that wish clef is now a balance staple. Scarf koko was never good - its niche lies in being able to revenge kill mega lopunny and greninja, but is basically deadweight everywhere else.

Trappers:

it got ranked, might as well add it

Priority:

(Quick Attack)

Quick Attack is only really viable on its Choice Band set, which really struggles in a meta that really punishes it for getting locked into a move. Scarf sets don't really need it and SD doesn't have to room for it.

(Feint)

While it isn't as "popular" as it was in oras, Feint still has its niche in this meta. Having the ability to out-prioritise ash gren's water shuriken as well as zygarde's extreme speed is important on teams that are particularly weak to either one. It also has the ability to pick off weakened wish users such as clefable and alomomola that have protected on low health.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Updated to this VR Post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...y-ranking-thread.3621329/page-42#post-7783325

quick nitpicks - I'd add Kartana under Choice Band users and Magnezone under Choice Scarf users
Added Kartana to band, Magnezone was already under Scarf

Add Alolan Golem as a Magnet Pull trapper and a Choice Scarfer.
Thanks, this was done with the VR Update

curiosity:
Physical wallbreaker: Added Gliscor, Swampert
Special wallbreaker: Blace was fixed with the VR update, Victini is B rank so I'm not sure why people keep thinking it's C rank? Added M-Latias and Reuni
Setup based stallbreakers: Added Gliscor, Blace was fixed with the VR update, Added M-Mawile, Added M-Hera, Added Hoopa-U. Not adding M-Tar for sure, too inconsistent, CB Tar is fine left as a wallbreaker
Physical Wall: Even though Gliscor doesn't use a physically defensive spread, it still answers and walls many physically offensive pokemon due to its base stats. Skarm was fixed with the VR update. Added Reuniclus, did not remove Toxapex for the same reason as glisc
SpDef Wall: Added Glisc -> Also added glisc to mixed
Mixed Wall: Added Glisc, Hippo was fixed in the VR update, removed skarm
Pivots: Added Glisc
Healing Wish: Added Lop
Stealth Rock: Skarm was fixed in the VR update
Suicide Leads: Moved chomp to niche, left the other two via the non-strict adherence rule
Defog: Added M-Latios, Skarm was fixed with the VR update, left Hydreigon and Thundy
CB: Moved Kyub to niche, Staka should have been dropped w/ the last vr update, good catch there, moved CB terrak to niche
Choice Specs: Moved Volcanion to niche
Choice Scarf: Moved Hoopa-U and bulu to niche, left kyub; Blace was fixed in VR, moved the rest to niche
Trappers: Fixed in VR update
Priority: Terrak QA moved to niche, Feint added for M-Pinsir

Thanks

I know this is very late but I feel like crabominable should be put under the category "TrickRoom Abusers" especially with that mon's great offensive typings with Ice/fighting paired with its monsterus attack that truly has little to no switch ins excluding Water/fairy (tapu fini and azumarill) or water/poison (toxapex). But the former can be easily dealt with LO brave max attack iron fist boosted Thunder Punch (or just swapping out into your other threat lol). And the latter gets murdered by the all too common EQ with the LO boost.

Though people don't use the ice crab that often (mainly because everyone is focused on that crawdaunt-mega maw-alolan marowack standard TR wave imo) it's what I believe to be the greatest slept on threat in OU with two spammable typings known to pokemon with the potential to either run 4 attacks with LO for ultimate coverage or dual stabs in CC and Iron fist ice hammer (an Ice type CC that lowers your speed to even outslow slower walls ^^) with the addition of PowerUpPunch to just increase his already deadly damage output.
And getting a PuP boost is extremely possible since most Trick room teams carry an uxie as a suicide lead for hazards and debuffing with memento. And if the opposing enemy is debuffed there's a high chance they'll just swap out or do negligible damage making your PuP play safe 9/10

Last edited:
You need to add Starmie to Rapid Spinners. Yeah it's not quite viable in OU, but I don't know why it wouldn't be there when Avalugg is among Rapid Spinners.

You need to add Starmie to Rapid Spinners. Yeah it's not quite viable in OU, but I don't know why it wouldn't be there when Avalugg is among Rapid Spinners.
It's mainly because Starmie isn't ranked in VR, meanwhile Avalugg is C- IIRC. Avalugg can be used in some stall teams, while Starmie isn't used as it was used in ORAS to check shit like Keldeo. If you want run a bulky Water in this meta, you run Pex o Gastro, and as a hazard remover is more easy to fit Defog in a team. In my eyes, I don't think Starmie should be added, as it is almost unviable in the current meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)