USM CAP Metagame Viability Rankings

Mega Camerupt C -> B-

I'll keep this short, simple, and probably trashy. A really nice mon hindered by low speed in a tier where trick room is way more viable. I would've added Alolawak too, but I dont actually have any replays for the...the...whatever alolawak is?

Pelipper/Mega Swampert B+ -> B or B-

Meanwhile, as Trick Room sits there being incredibly better, I'd argue Rain has gotten a fair bit worse. Not only is Swift Swim harmed by all the Trick Room shenanigans, but even more importantly, our latest CAP hinders such teams. Not only is Jumbao a grass type to blast Swampert away, but Drought varients can get rid of the rain while Trace varients can steal Swift Swim. Megakazam is also a nice force who can also trace Swift Swim to boost its already great speed. Another small possibility to take into account is the fact I believe some Tomohawks may run Hurricane, which enjoys never missing. Tornadus-T also enjoys such Hurricanes. Rain overall has gotten a little worse, mostly with the latest CAP being A+ and gladly everywhere to ruin rains day.

edit: hAHA WHOOPS rain has volkraken and mollux or whatever for jumbao whoops ignore that

if this is incredibly trashy im so so sorry

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Necturna - Up to A+

I don't think Necturna is broken, which seems to be a camp that is dwindling in size. But It has a much stronger effect on the metagame than an A-rank Pokemon would imply. With the discovery of Substitute + Z-Crystal Phantom Force, both Shell Smash and Shift Gear can break through the metagame early on in a match, let alone late-game. A Pokemon that can OHKO Ferrothorn on its best sets with Ghost/Grass STAB coverage is something we should acknowledge in these tier lists. Necturna also has the ability to run some solid enough support sets (web / utility), although they are eclipsed by the two mentioned above. Just a really solid mon that is starting to define Gen7 CAP.

Magnezone - Down to B+

While it's great in OU, I really haven't found any success with it in CAP. We have the luxury of not only having Magma Storm Tran, but also Spirit Shackle Pajantom and Pursuit Colossoil to help with trapping in our metagame. We also see less Shed Shell, but I don't think Magnezone has the coverage nor utility to be listed among other A- rank Pokemon. It is not nearly as splashable in CAP and struggles against top offensive Water-type threats in the metagame that it should be capitalizing on. Also it straight up struggles to switch in on any CAP that is Steel-type anyways.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I've got a couple of low ranked nominations I'd like to make, but I'm sure people will recognize them.

Escavalier UR to C

I'll be modest with the initial nom since it's really niche, but Escavalier is a key support Pokemon for one of the strongest Trick Room megas at the moment, Mega Camerupt. Some of the Pokemon that reasonably tank Mega Camerupt's STAB moves, Mega Latios, Mega Latias, Pajantom, and Volkraken (locked into a Hidden Power), as well as Pokemon that generally mess with Trick Room teams like non-Fire Punch Hoopa-U, Alakazam-Mega, and Kitsunoh, all fall prey to a hefty Choice Band-boosted Pursuit, allowing the Trick Room team to function more fluidly. Escavalier is no slouch outside of Pursuit trap either. A very respectable 135 Base Attack backed by Choice Band and a Brave nature can punch holes into teams with Megahorn, Iron Head, and Drill Run, alongside great bulk that allows it to tank a Mega Latios Hidden Power Fire and 2 offensive Pajantom Spirit Shackles with minimal investment. 20 Base Speed allows it to hold its own against opposing Trick Room teams, too. Although it doesn't rely on its ability that often, Swarm-boosted Megahorn is stupidly powerful, OHKOing Ferrothorn outright and OHKOing physically defensive Pyroak after Stealth Rock damage.

228+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios-Mega: 292-344 (97 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
228+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pajantom: 384-454 (124.2 - 146.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pajantom: 384-454 (103.2 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Pursuit (40 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pajantom: 192-228 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
228+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volkraken: 175-207 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

228+ Atk Choice Band Swarm Escavalier Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 373-439 (105.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
228+ Atk Choice Band Swarm Escavalier Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 342-403 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Here are a few replays of it in action.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-786978839
In this replay, Escavalier tanks Mega Latios's Ice Beam with ease and then traps it with Pursuit. This made it much easier for Mega Camerupt to sweep late-game.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-786981652
In this replay, Escavalier was able to take care of Alakazam, which could have been Mega. Between Shadow Ball and Psychic, Alakazam could have pressured Slowking and Fidgit, but Escavalier removed this potential problem. Later in the match, it was able to tank Tapu Bulu's Superpower when its teammates were worn down and then pressure both it and Greninja with Megahorn.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-786987723
Although Pajantom eventually won the 1v1, it was so heavily weakened in the process that it could no longer switch into Mega Camerupt effectively. Future Sight nabbed the kill on Turn 12, but Earth Power would have KOed it the next turn.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-787003766
Although losing Slowking to Hidden Power Grass Volkraken was tough, it wasn't a free kill, as took half of its HP after Escavalier Pursuit trapped it. This made setting up Stealth Rock extremely threatening to the opponent and made it much tougher for Volkraken to switch in, bringing it to an end-game scenario where it would have lost, even if it had hit the Fire Blast, as Mega Camerupt was healthy enough to tank the Fire Blast, even with Sun and Choice Specs boosts.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-777389156
Kitsunoh posed a large threat, as Meteor Mash hits Jumbao and Tapu Bulu for good damage. Removing it with Pursuit early game with little-to-no cost was very beneficial. Late-game, it forces Tomohawk to stay in and faint to Future Sight.

In my opinion, Mega Camerupt Trick Room, which has won a few CAPTT matches (SHSP turned around his bo3 with it in Week 1), would not be as successful without Escavalier's Pursuit, good bulk, and massive power. I think it ranks well in C Rank, where it's a niche but effective pick.

EDIT: put in the correct fourth replay

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
CapTT season is in, so the meta is really is showing it's colours and as to be expected the VR needs to make changes reflected by that.

Tapu Lele A+ to A

Tapu Lele has been a threatening Pokemon for a very long while, and continues to be a very powerful Pokemon thanks to Psychic Terrain. That being said, I still think it's time for a drop. The meta has really shifted away from it, with Jumbao recently being introduced to the metagame fat cores of Jumbao + Steels have come in to place. What this means for lele is weaker checks to Lele like Ferrothorn have competition with Celesteela or Heatran. These cores have definitely pained lele's breaker capabilities. Scarf sets are fairly abusable, and can potentially let up momentum if you lock into the wrong move. As well as that contesting scarfers such as Landorus-T, Greninja and Volkraken are all arguably better scarfers. Non scarf sets also face problems with faster Pokemon such as Crucibelle, Scarf Landorus or Pajantom all give Tapu Lele some direct problems and due to its bulk it can't handle hits from other things either. From a teambuilding standpoint Clefable and Jumbao are fairly dominant, and putting lele on a team with these Fairies makes your team very susceptible to common CAP threats which pressure fairies consistently. While Mega Alakazam appreciates lele on its team, lele faces competition with Mega Alakazam because it is more than capable of operating outside of Terrain thanks to its matchup versus Heatran. This drop in viability can also be seen in it's usage, going from extremely common in CapTT 3 to used 5 times throughout CapTT 4 so far(60% winrate which is still good).

Kartana A to A-

Kartana is a really matchup dependant Pokemon, more so than every A rank Pokemon on the VR. Choice Locking kartana is one of the most unrewarding feelings I have experienced with a Pokemon in CAP. You need a lot of support to remove pokemon that wall just about every move you could lock into. CB can get off powerful hits, however it has to worry about locking into very abusable moves, when every team carries a Grass, Fighting and Steel resist naturally without trying hard to build. Scarf has a nice niche of outspeeding Necturna at +2, however its moves become even weaker and you can't really pressure the fat metagame that CAP has gone into right now. Other scarfers are just better generally, by providing great utility outside outspeeding particular threats such as Landorus-T's for its great defensive capabilities or Volkrakens ability to clean late game.
SD sets have trouble breaking Tomohawk, Pyroark and the less common Mollux, while also being revenged by fast threats which is important with threats like Mega Alakazam and Tornadus-T creeping up in viability. Kartana's poor performance in CAP can also be seen via CAPTT stats where it was played 5 times and won once.

More VR noms to come!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok I will bite:

A -> A+
The Shell Smash + Ghostium Z set alone has pushed Necturna to the forefront on the current metagame, lacking solid reliable answers as a result of its power and ability to setup against most passive threats. As seen throughout CAPTT, Necturna can easily abuse common mons such as non Gyro Ball Ferrothorn, Argonaught, and Gastrodon and utilize them as setup fodder and usually secure a sweep with the combo of Shell Smash and Substitute. The rise of threats such as Scarf Kitsunoh, Unaware Clefable, and max defensive Celesteela (however Z move must already be consumed) comes to show how much of an impact Necturna has on teambuilding right now and it should definitely rise because of that. Other sets such as bulky Shift Gear and lead Sticky Web are also usable as well, coming to show how versatile Nect can be.

A -> A+
Similarily to Necturna, Pajantom has also seen a surge in usage in the most recent tournaments mainly thanks to its specially defensive sets which enable it to take on certain threats such as Volkraken, Volcarona, and Heatran while also being a great balance breaker with Tspikes support. No other mon in the current metagame besides Heatran can abuse the affects of trapping like Pajantom can, acting as a great means in supporting its teammates by getting rid of annoying threats such as Clefable, Argonaught, and Tomohawk. Its offensive sets whether it be Z-Move or Choice Band also work quite well in immediately breaking through bulky threats and can be used to great success thanks to Pajantom's solid coverage options. Def a threat I can see in the upper rankings.

A -> A-
The influx of Jumbao, Heataran and Mega Crucibelle has really left Clefable to struggle to find a teammslot on most balance teams due to their generally being better options as a Stealth Rock setter, cleric, or Calm Mind sweeper. While its ability to check most Fighting, Dark, and Dragon types is still appreciated, Jumbao can usually perform the role of a bulky Wish passer quite better due to its better typing and bulk (even though it cant setup SR like Clef can). Clef can also find issue fitting in all the moveslots it want to whether it be running Knock Off, Thunder Wave, Calm Mind, or Wish on its last slot (with the other 3 moves being standard). I find more value in Clef as an Unaware wall nowadays due to it being one of the only reliable Necturna answers, and thats saying something.

A- -> B+
Most of the threats Gastrodon is issued to check such as Ash-Greninja, Volkraken and Krilowatt can usually abuse its passivity in some form or another whether it be luring it with coverage in HP Grass or setting up Spikes in front of its face. The rise in Grass-types like Jumbao and Kartana also do not lend it any favors as well as its poor offensive stats often leaves it in a situation where it can struggle to punish most switchins besides landing a Toxic on them. Just not as a reliable glue mon as it was in previous metagames imo.

B+ -> B-
Trick Room has kinda died down as a reliable offensive playstyle in favour of more balanced builds where Alo-Marowak struggles to find its place on due to its rubbish Speed and poor defensive typing. While it can still be a threatening wallbreaker, it often requires some support from its teammates whether it be setting up Trick Room or removing entry hazards, therefore a drop I believe is due.

B- -> B
Serperior has a lot of value as an offensive sweeper even with things like Pajantom and Heatran running around mainly thanks to the combination of SubSeed + Glare which lets it cheese through most of its checks. Once the conditions are set in place, Serperior does not need much in order to secure a sweep due to how good Grass + Fire coverage can cover a large portion of the metagame. Most Dragons and miscellaneous stuff like Heatran give it trouble, but Serperior's bulk and access to utility moves like Glare and Leech Seed lets it annoy the aforementioned threats to a certain degree.

All I got for now, but would like to here other's nominations as well. I also agree with a Lele and Kartana drop.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
B+ -> A-
With Necturna cementing itself as potent set up sweeper with limited counterplay, in the aftermath of the latest CAPTT, Kitsunoh's Choice Scarf set has risen out of the void as one of the best ways to revengekill Necturna after it smashes. Couple that with the prominence of other potent threats it can revenge kill (Mega Crucibelle, Jumbao, even Zygarde if it opts for Ice Punch) and you can see that Kitsunoh is an important Pokemon in the metagame and has a bigger impact than any of the other B+ ranked mons.

B+ -> A- / A
The last months have seen Mega Alakazam's popularity steadily increase with its main CM + Recover set. As Mega Latios climbs to prominence (and often forgoes Draco Meteor so Jumbao doesn't get a free switch), Mega Alakazam arrives a duitable check towards it. It also helps that it handily beats most versions of Heatran. Useful tech like Substitute to dodge Sucker Punch, Taunt stall break and Shadow Ball to hit Pokemon like Pajantom supereffectively gives the magician enough variety to mess around in this fatter metagame.

Not necessarily based on CAPTT, but I'll give my opinions on some suggestions :

S -> A+ : Agree

I wasn't sure at first due to the threat of Flynium-Z, but seeing that this set is on the decline in favor of Scarf which in my opinion is extremely flawed due to its inability to RK any common set-up sweepers (Moth, Navi, Nect...) as well as dangerous Mons like Stratagem. Due to Lando-T's typing, movepool and ability, you would want to compress roles with it, and while it's great to have a bunch of features (SR, Defog, pivoting...) in one Mon, but in practice I find that Lando-T often fails to achieve multiple tasks. For instance, if you play it Scarf you cannot rely on it to check Colo since Knock Off ruins you, if you play it Z-Move you lose what could be a check to Crucibelle (something you typically want with a Ground-type) unless you avoid Head Smash on the switch-in... Morevoer, I think that the CAP is a bit more hostile to Lando-T compared to OU: Tomohawk is a huge competitor when it comes to defensive value, and will wall any non Z-Fly variant forever, and so does Jumbao, two Pokemon that encourages Mon like Zygarde to run Toxic often, something lando-T wants to avoid. Stratagem can also take advantage of Lando-T. The Defensive variant is in my opinion a bit unreliable since it can be worn down pretty quickly due to the lack of recovery, very exploitable Ice weakness and difficulty to switch on Crucibelle multiple times. Offensive Z-Move is its best set in my opinion, but Tomohawk is still susceptible to run Coba berry and Fly becomes mostly useless once it has been used as a Z-move, and with its Speed its hard to get multiple kills with it. Still, Lando-T can do a bunch of things that make it very splashable, but I don't think it deserves to share S with Tomohawk, it's effectiveness is overall much closer to A+ Mons like Ferrothorn in my opinion.

A+ -> A (possibly A-) : Agree

Ash-Gren may be one of the Pokemons that suffer the most from the transition into CAP, where Jumbao, Gastrodon and Arghonaut are that effective and other like Mollux or Malaconda still exist. Sure it could use appropriate coverage moves but when it doesn't just spam its powerful STABs it'll feel less efficient that the regular variant. Not to mention that it needs to kill something before reaching its desired power, which the opponent can take advantage of.

A -> A+ : Agree

Regular Greninja is excellent in this metagame and can fulfill any task you'd want it to do. I think Ninja is the best RK and thus the best Scarfer in the current Meta due to its ability to pivot with U-turn and threaten all of Nect, Moth, Navi, Volc, Zyg and Cawm as long as it carries the right coverage move. AoA Greninja is extremely scary for almost any playstyle, combining such a convenient Speed Tier, raw power and a coverage that leaves you without 100% fire counter is almost unrivaled; It also has Spikes which can be spread very easily with the offensive pressure it packs and they aren't many form of hazard control that enjoy facing Ninja. In my opinion A+ is perfectly suited for such a good mon, potentially one of the best in this rank.

I don't think Necturna is broken, but in my opinion she's the closest thing that could join Tomohawk in S rank. Shell Smash Nect is currently the most dangerous and influential Sweeper in the metagame from what I've seen, much like Cawmodore you're either prepared to face her, or you're not. However, Necturna as a whole isn't a one dimensional Pokemon, Sketch gives her a ton of versatility. Sticky Web teams can be very difficult to face if played right, and Necturna has the potential to deal with almost any common hazard control (Psychic-Z against Tomo, Stone Edge against Zapdos, WoW to mess with Scizor-M...). I've also tested both Band and double statues in ORAS and they have been pretty effective, I could totally see them ruining an unaware opponent that would dismiss a non-lead Nect as a sweeper. Nonetheless, the sheer power of Ghostium-Z Shell smash remains what makes her A+ worthy by a mile, just checking this variant can become a niche.

A+ -> S : Disagree

In my opinion it's not even close. Scarf Kraken is plagued with a SR weakness, which means it cannot spam U-turn without an effective form of hazard control to back it up, and doesn't have the Speed to RK Nect and Navi. Specs kraken can be horrendous to switch into, but the meta has very solid Water and Dragon-types that prevent it to spam its STABs mindlessly, and it will need support to patch this as well as the SR weakness, which cuts its splashability. For an focused-offensive threat to reach S rank I think the criteria wouldn't be its splashability, but being potentially rewarding every time it gets on the field, much like Illusion Aurumoth. Volkraken isn't nearly on that level in my opinion.

A+ -> S : Disagree

Just like Volkraken it doesn't put as much pressure as Illusion Moth did, since it naturally struggles with some defined threats like Zygarde, Tomohawk (although it's just a soft check), Defensive Kitsunoh... It's fairly easy to fit it on teams despite being a mega-evolution and is a great pivot and hits like a truck, but that doesn't warrant S since it doesn't reach the needed versatility and I don't feel like it's a level above other A+ ranked Mons.

Just like Gren and Nect I think Paj fits easily in A+, I see these as the three best in this rank, including Lando-T. For an offensive based Mon like Pajantom, having a defensive utility this valuable ensures that it will find a place in a bunch of team, especially when coupled with Comatose which make it one of the best answer to Heatran, as well as other threats like Volk, Plasmanta, Volc, Zard-Y... On the offensive side, STAB Spirit Shackle is extremely spammable due to its natural typing, the ability to trap which guarantees that the opponent won't gain momentum by double-switch-in and it's power when boosted by Ghostium-Z or CB which dents even its dedicated checks (Steels). Add to this an amazing movepool filled with Brave Bird which invalidates Tomohawk, Arghonaut and Jumbao ; Earthquake, Ice Punch... and the possibility to run a specially defensive set to better check Fire and Electric-types or a Choice Scarf set which has the needed speed and coverage to RK most set-up sweepers, and you get an A+ Mon.

Now, here are my own nominations :

A- -> B / B-

A- seems far too generous for an outclassed Pokemon like Bulu. In almost any build Jumbao will usually achieve more, both offensively and defensively. Grass-type is one of the easiest typing to cover defensively and Bulu cannot use its secondary typing to hurt Tomohawk and Cyclohm. Offensively it's mostly inferior to Kartana and Necturna in my opinion as even with Grassy Terrain-boosted Wood Hammer it won't do significant damage if it keeps hurting things like the aforementionned mon as well as Jumbao, Celesteela, Scizor-M... No matter the variant (SD + Synthesis, AV, CB, SD + Z-Move...), each time I face Bulu it keeps switching on things it checks and going back to it Pokeball due to how easy it is to check, whereas Jumbao would at least use Wish to ease switchs or dent something if I don't have a Pyroak. Grassy Terrain in my opinion isn't enough to set it apart, especially since it can turn against you. Tangrowth is pretty much in the same boat, the CAP metagame is even more hostile to it.

I still keep my previous nominations: Stratagem, Cawmodore, Hoopa-U and Kitsunoh all deserve to be above things like Tar and join A- in my opinion.

A to A- agree
agree with the previous comments, i really dont remember i saw kartana put in great work in CAP

A -> A+ undecided
necturna is super amazing but its definitely something that good players prepare for and that helps limit its sweep- its really hard to place this though because i feel like in an active metagame the meta would shift around this mon thanks to its strength and this would push it back out of the A+ rank. as far as ladder goes though, its a much easier win. so just going by what i see from good players making sure their teams are not necturna weak, id be tempted to leave this mon out of A+ for now. It also experiences plenty of 50/50s when it comes to not wasting the z-move on the wrong mon and getting past sucker punches.

I will write some nominations too..
A to A+
this mon is pulling an enormous amount of weight defensively in the tier and helping it not fall apart. its the most reliable spiker in the tier, fits on a lot of teams happily, and doesnt give momentum as a defensive pkmn. its not free to switch into either since it can run circle throw, toxic, eq, ice punch, knock off- despite not being an enormous offensive threat it does hit hard. on a mostly unrelated note i bet offensive sets have some niche usage thats way overshadowed by how fantastic it is defensively

B+ to A-
this mon is pretty awesome? it has some hard stops like psy terrain and some hard checks like tomohawk which hurt it but if it does get a chance to play on its own terms it can shit on teams, its difficult to switch in to, a good revenge killer and now ppl have experimented with it as a Moonlight tank it honestly seems a lot stronger/more impressive than just reserving it in the back to be a bulk up sweeper (which it can also do i guess)

and a few big drops:
A- to B
it has nice stats but its too easy to chip down, easy to play around for any team and gets a lot of usage just for being a CAP despite not being very good imo. Honestly feels like a mid-B mon since it has good matchups and a place in CAP meta but no way A tier

A- to B-
this mon doesnt feel like it does enough to deserve the A- rank, its either a flat wall or some kind of average attacker, both offering very little relevant role compression or the offenses to justify it. It has a place in the tier, ish, but not in A. Im struggling to imagine me ever wanting to pick this mon over Zapdos as an electric type, altho i guess it has some niche merits over other bulky dragons(?? not being pursuit trapped?) and imo could fit in low or mid B perhaps?
edit: talked to some ppl who sold it to me as a more bulky, better coverage zapdos but i think its still hard to fit into teams when it comes to role compression, not sure tho. B+ is still a good tier that it could fit

Last edited:
→C/B-
I believe Moltres should be ranked for its niche on stall teams, which was used this seasonal to success. For who don't know, Moltres helps with Pokemon that usually bother stall, like Heatran, Jumbao, Magearna, Clefable, and Mega Mawile, which the archetype would really struggle against otherwise. Moltres is also extremely effective at keeping off hazards from Spikes-stacking Ferrothorn balance teams, which usually feature Clefable to set up Stealth Rock against Mega Sableye.

Here's 2 replays that featured Moltres and showcase what it's capable of.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-809416131
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-826808952

→C
While I do realize that every fat Water-type directly competes with Arghonaut, I do believe Slowbro has a valuable niche over it. While Slowbro gives up Spikes, it trades that for the ability to effectively wall physical attackers like as Mega Medicham, Zygarde, and Hawlucha, which are all really big threats in the current metagame. Slowbro also has a much better match up against Mega Latios than Arghonaut.

tl;dr: While Slowbro is not as easy to fit on a team as Arghonaut, and in general provides less support than Arghonaut, Slowbro does have a valuable niche over it, which makes it worth to consider using on your team, and should thus be ranked.

Unfortunately, I don't have any CAP replays where Slowbro puts in work.

pluffle.png
-> C
Popularized by Drapionswing, Pluffle is an interesting pokemon. I believe it should be ranked for it's uniqueness and role compression, being able to act as a status absorber and a pivot, abusing Natural Cure + Parting Shot to provide support to teammates. It also has the move Wish, providing it reliable recovery and potentially healing it's teammates back to fullhealth. It can come in on pokemon such as Tornadus-Therian, Toxapex, Lati@s-mega, Tomohawk and fat walls thanks to it's great special bulk (due to Eviolite) and threaten them with Moonblast/Encore or potentially absorb a status and switch out with Parting Shot, opening a door for a potential teammate to setup. It has seen some tournament play and proven it's niche in the metagame.

080.png
-> C
Similarly to what Jordy said, I believe this pokemon should be ranked for it's ability to pivot into hard-hitters like Medicham-mega, Hawlucha and even check some special attackers like Mega Alakazam lacking Shadow Ball or Lati@s-mega.

579.png
-> B-
Not a very popular pokemon in the metagame, but I believe Reuniclus has a great niche in CAP. Being able to setup Calm Mind and Acid Armor in front of heavy hitters like Jumbao and Zygarde while threatening common phazing/hazing abusers like Tomohawk and Arghonaut with it's STAB Psychic. Although it's not as easy to build with it in the CAP metagame as it is in OU due to the prevalence of threats like Pajantom and Necturna, Reuniclus can be extremely good with the right support.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hi guys! The VR team has an update for you. Now, this post might contain some controversial moves. If you disagree with a drop/rise, ask that you read the entire post before replying so that you understand how the VR team came to a decision. Below are the changes:
Tomohawk S to A+
Landorus-T S to A+

Ash-Greninja to A+ to A
Magearna to A+ to A
Tapu Lele Lele to A+ to A

Colossoil to A to A-
Kartana from A to A-
Bulu from A to B+

Pyroak from A- to B+

Cawmodore from B+ to B-
Maro-A from B+ to C
Stratagem from B+ to B

Crucibelle from B to C
Garchomp from B to B-
Gengar from B to C
Kerfluffle from B to C
Plasmanta from B to C
Salamence from B to UR
Skarmory from B to C

Gyarados-Mega from B- to UR
Bronzong C to UR
Gardevoir C to UR
Muk-Alola C to UR

Voodoom blacklisted
Tomohawk: While Prankster Haze still exerts considerable pressure in the teambuilder, and defensive Tomohawk can sustain itself over the entire battle extremely well, it's taken enough hits across the generation to finally fall to A+. Facing stiff competition with the extremely splashable Tornadus-T, offensive sets have really fallen off except for hyper offensive teams that might appreciate Prankster Stealth Rock, Healing Wish, Memento, or Haze. Otherwise, Tornadus-T just does offensive Tomohawk better, with U-turn and Knock Off acting as better support for an offensive set and Regenerator acting as a better ability for an offensive Pokemon. Rain as an archetype has taken a hit to viability with the introduction of Jumbao, so Tomohawk's niche as a secondary rain setter has fallen off as well. The ubiquity of Toxic on many offensive Pokemon in the metagame also hurts defensive Tomohawk's survivability across a match. Additionally, Tomohawk's Air Slash makes it rather passive, and if it wants more power, Hurricane has an awful miss chance for a defensive Pokemon. The rise in offensive Psychic-types like Mega Alakazam and Mega Latios also doesn't do Tomohawk many favors. Overall, Tomohawk is still an amazing Pokemon in the metagame, but the metagame has adapted to it sufficiently for it to drop to A+.

Landorus-T: Its decline has been rather slow, but currently Landorus-T doesn't quite fit in with the new S-rank Pokemon of the metagame. Z-Move sets have really taken a nose-dive in usage, which highly contributes to this drop, as the variability of Landorus-T's sets has declined massively. Although Choice Scarf is a great set, it can be rather easy to take advantage of, as locking into Earthquake gives Shell Smash Necturna a prime opportunity to set up. While Cawmodore also isn't all that relevant, giving Cawmodore free opportunities to set up doesn't exactly help either. A general rise in Coba Berry Tomohawk and Celesteela makes Flyinium Z sets harder to use, but Rockium Z has trouble cracking open bulky Grass-types like Jumbao and Tangrowth. Again, Landorus-T is still an amazing Pokemon, but currently it finds itself below the new S-rank.

Ash-Gren to A: Thanks to new metagame staples such as Argho and Jumbao, and its other form in protean gren becoming much better in recent times, Ash Gren is becoming harder and harder to use. It's still an incredibly threatening cleaner, but it requires more support than ever before and is more worthy of A than A+.

Magearna to A: Mage finds itself in a similar position to Ash Gren, where it's fallen off in use compared to alternatives. SG and CM sets are strong, but they find themselves with a hard time setting up against metagame threats like Heatran and Colossoil. Together, a double dance set shows the most promise, but that has yet to see enough usage to prove itself yet.

Tapu Lele to A: With the rise of other strong psychics like Alakazam and other strong wallbreakers, Lele has struggled. Its speed tier is in a tricky position where it falls right under other common scarfers like Kitsunoh and is a mediocre scarfer in general, and specs or Z move sets are strong breakers that face a lot of competition. It falls to A to represent its new competition and struggling status.

Colossoil to A-: Despite an increase in usage, more flaws have found themselves evident in Colossoil. It's AV set is effective, but easily worn down thanks to a complete lack of recovery, and Flame Orb hits hard but is also very quickly killed thanks to recoil. Its an effective wallbreaker, but one that faces a lot of competition with an okay speed tier and finds itself too quickly played around or dealt with.

Kartana to A-: Kartana in CAP has faced stiffer and stiffer competition in all of its roles and has a hard time managing a set of new threats. Although Band sets can do a serious amount of work, Kart still struggles with a number of defensive threats with Choice-locked sets, like Tomohawk and Celesteela, and non-choiced sets have similar struggles thanks to a speed tier that leaves it slower than a lot of attackers that force it out. Kitsunoh's rise also creates definite competition for the origami bladesman, and these trends push it down to A-.

Bulu to B+: Bulu has seen better, pre-Jumbao days. Between the great success of its fellow fairy/grass mon, and the metagame running more hate for Jumbao, Bulu suffers. Grassy Terrain is still fantastic, and the Tapu can still perform admirably, but new competition and a more hostile metagame push it down to B+.

Pyroak to B+: Another grass type that faces stiff competition from Jumbao, Pyroak's held back by a few factors, namely a relative lack of offensive pressure and a crucial weakness to Stealth Rock. Its still a formidable wall that checks a number of strong threats, but others like Crucibelle and Tornadus-T take advantage of it, and taking 25% per switchin can put the dino in some seriously difficult spots.

Cawmodore: Cawmodore, while still constraining teambuilding, is extremely easy to pressure. It's hard to find a setup opprotunity where Cawmodore feels safe enough to Belly Drum, as most Pokemon have adapted to Cawmodore's presence and have a move that deals more than 75% of its HP to it. Additionally, most teams have a faster Pokemon like Volkraken or Greninja that resists Bullet Punch, even if it's not specifically used to check Cawmodore, and will ensure that this check does not get worn down until Cawmodore sets up. Due to its severe opportunity cost and difficulty in setting up, Cawmodore is dropping to B-.

Marowak-A: Marowak-A was ranked highly for its ability to be run on non-Trick Room teams, as well as Trick Room teams. However, its only niche now is on Trick Room teams, and though it can invest in bulk, its Stealth Rock weakness hurts it especially. While it still has a great niche on Trick Room, it's not what it used to be either, so for these reasons if falls to C, where most other Trick Room abusers lie.

Stratagem: Stratagem now faces competition with Mega Alakazam as a fast but frail attacker, except it can't hit as hard, cannot achieve perfect coverage in 3 moves, and doesn't have access to recovery. Also, Mega Alakazam can opt for a Modest nature and still outspeed Tapu Koko, while Stratagem still speed ties with maximum Speed investment. Levitate means almost nothing in a metagame run by Zygarde, and basically all Landorus-T sets run U-turn and won't be fooled by Levitate. Stratagem overall lacks a specific niche in the metagame and faces more competition and, for these reasons, will be dropping.

Crucibelle: Cruci's base form has struggled recently, with a main reason being the success of it's mega form. Teams are oft prepared for this variant, and it's main Scarf set has more severe difficulties with already existing Mega-Crucibelle checks like Zygarde. As a scarfer itself, it finds itself outclassed in utility compared to other top scarfers like Kitsunoh and Landorus, and takes away the opportunity to run the mega variant of Cruci, making it have a severe opportunity cost.

Garchomp: Garchomp continues to struggle as the metagame techs more and more towards fighting its fellow ground/dragon in Zygarde. Sets like Z-Outrage+Rocks and Scarf are niche, but mostly outclassed by Zygarde itself, or other similar mons, be it other scarfers like Kit and Kartana or other rock setters like Landorus or Heatran. Its niche exists, but it's hard to find a reason to fit it onto a team over other options.

Gengar: Gengar has fallen heavily out of favor in the current metagame, both with the rise of other, more splashable ghosts like Necturna and Pajantom, and an increased use in Colossoil that gives it a very difficult time. It falls victim to the rise of Pursuit and is overall outclassed by a horde of other options as an attacker.

Kerfluffle: Everyone's favorite living dakimakura faces serious competition from two of the top mons in the metagame in Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko, as a fairy-type attacker and as a pivot. It's hard to find a reason to use Kerf over either of those two as an attacker or a pivot, and as such continues a plummet down the VR.

Plasmanta: Plasmanta suffers greatly from the rising use of steel and ground types like Zygarde and Ferrothorn, with both of it's STAB moves becoming possible liabilities. Choice sets fall victim to locking into immunities, and Sub sets struggle with mediocre power, speed and defenses.

Salamence: Salamence was a holdover from earlier metagames where it was a strong Dragon Dance user with Z-Fly to nuke possible switchins. However, the dragon has fallen out of the meta as it's adapted, being outclassed by other dragons like Zygarde and the Latios, and by Z-sweepers like Necturna, Kartana and Volcarona.

Skarmory: Skarmory finds itself on the lower end of the rankings as it struggles to carve out a niche. Its outclassed as a steel almost entirely by Celesteela, if not others like Ferrothorn and Heatran. Its role as a hazard lead for offensive builds has been replaced by others like Landorus and Greninja. The reasons to use Skarmory are few and far between, and as such it drops to C.

Gyarados-Mega: Mega Gyarados has no niche in the metagame. On Screens and Veil teams, Zygarde, Naviathan, or even base Gyarados are better choices for Dragon Dance users. Additionally, between Jumbao, Tomohawk, and Arghonaut, Mega Gyarados just can't break defensive cores. For these reasons, Mega Gyarados will be unranked.

Bronzong: Bronzong hasn't seen much use in a long time, and is outclassed by pretty much every steel type on the VR. Its niche as a Landorus-T check isn't particularly applicable, and everything it does, another Steel-type can do better.

Gardevoir-Mega: Mega Gardevoir is utterly outclassed by Tapu Lele, takes up a mega slot, and isn't really worth running in all but one or two extremely niche situations.

Muk-A: Another relic of a forgotten metagame, Muk-A struggles in it's niche to check special threats, even with AV, is outclassed as a pursuit trapper and a dark as a whole, and really suffers defensively in the current state of CAP.

Voodoom: Voodoom being bad is almost a meme nowadays, and all the same things that made it nonviable have remained: fairies, lack of direct power, and being outclassed in most everything it tries to do offensively. As such, it's getting Blacklisted: unless something massive changes, we're not talking about our voodoo friend any longer.

Zygarde A+ to S
Crucibelle-Mega from A+ to S

Necturna from A to S
Arghonaut from A to A+
Celesteela from A to A+
Greninja from A to A+
Pajantom from A to A+
Tornadus-T from A to A+

Fidigt from A- to A

Mega Zam from B+ to A
Kyu-B from B+ to A-
Kitsunoh from B+ to A-
Suicune from B to B+

Gliscor from B- to B+

Camerupt-Mega from C to B
Malaconda from C to B-
Reuniclus from C to B+
Zygarde: Despite Jumbao's introduction, Zygarde continues to be one of the polarizing forces in the metagame. Between all of its sets, including Bulky SubToxic + Coil, SubToxic + Dragon Dance, offensive Dragon Dance + Z-Move, Choice Band, and more, it fits on a multitude of team archetypes. With its new Glare sets, however, it's able to punish offensive teams with ease. It's honestly a no-brainer that Zygarde should rise to S, as it has no certain defensive checks, and at times offensive counterplay can be limited as well.

Mega Crucibelle: As one of the most splashable Mega Pokemon in the metagame, the VR team has found Mega Crucibelle to fit quite comfortably in S. It's one of the best offensive Stealth Rock setters in the metagame, especially in combination with U-turn to pivot it out of bad matchups. STAB, recoilless Head Smash and Gunk Shot provide it the raw power it needs to keep up the pressure throughout the game. Additionally, Mega Crucibelle is an incredible response to Tornadus-T, one of the metagame's premier Defoggers, that appears on balance and bulky offense teams. Tornadus-T usually can switch into other Stealth Rock users like Landorus-T, Tomohawk, Heatran, and Clefable and Defog them away immediately, but Head Smash keeps Tornadus-T from doing this against Mega Crucibelle. Additionally, Tornadus-T can't cripple Mega Crucibelle with Knock Off, as it does with many other Pokemon, and can't really deal too much damage to Mega Crucibelle unless it runs Life Orb Hidden Power Ground or a significant amount of Attack EVs and Fightinium Z + Superpower. Moreover, many metagame trends allow Mega Crucibelle to flourish. The fall of purely defensive Landorus-T, a dip in usage for Tomohawk, and a hard drop in Scarf Kartana usage frees Mega Crucibelle of some of its checks. Though offensive checks like Mega Alakazam and Kitsunoh are also rising, Mega Alakazam has extremely low physical defense, which prevents it from switching in directly into an offensive move, and Kitsunoh can barely take two Head Smashes. The only real fault that Mega Crucibelle has is the low accuracy behind its STAB moves, but it's clear that running these moves are worth it due to the excellent power behind them.

Necturna: It shouldn't be a surprise that Necturna is rising to S. Shell Smash + Ghostium Z Necturna is the best sweeper in the metagame, with very few checks and basically one counter, Tomohawk. If Necturna's teammates can clear the way for it, and it gets a free Substitute and uses Shell Smash, it's a gg for you. Other techs, such as running Shadow Sneak over Substitute or Focus Sash over Ghostium Z, also increase the variability of this set, shifting its checks around, making the set truly terrifying. But that's not the only set it can run. It can run bulky Shift Gear sets, Choice Band + V-Create, and even the old Sticky Web set - all 4 sets are viable and share Tomohawk as their only counter. Forewarn has a very good use nowadays, as it alerts the Necturna user of potentially dangerous moves that Zygarde can run. If Forewarn sees Thousand Arrows, the Zygarde can't break Necturna's Substitute, and if Forewarn sees anything else, then the Necturna has to find another opportunity to set up. All-in-all, the variety of successful sets that Necturna can pull off and especially the devastating power behind Shell Smash lets it sit solidly in S.

Arghonaut to A+: Argho has cemented itself as the premier bulky water of CAP. Unaware is a phenomenal ability that allows Argho to wall most set up sweepers as it sets up Spikes for its team, providing great utility. Everyone's favorite pirate is a great asset for many teams between its consistent spiking, move utility through Knock Off or Circle Throw and general fatness.

Celesteela to A+: Celesteela has also seen a great spike of usage through recent tournaments. It's incredible bulk as well as a great typing for checking popular psychic and flying type spam give it a significant niche, and it's very good at chipping teams between Leech Seed and Heavy Slam. It's a fantastic steel type in the current meta that has a lot of strong matchups across the board that result in a rise to A.

Greninja to A+: Just as its Ash form falls in the rankings, good ol' Protean Greninja rises. Its been a very good scarfer for a while, with a fantastic speed tier, but other sets like various Z moves have gotten a fair bit more usage as well. The main attraction of Greninja, being able to pick its own counters through coverage, is more important than ever, where you can run a number of moves that force difficult scouting, and its improved standing in the current meta justifies a raise to A+.

Pajantom to A+: Pajantom has been incredible recently and it jumps up to A+. Z-Ghost and Z-Dragon sets net at least one strong kill per game in almost every situation, with very limited switchins. The SpDef set is still a strong wall, Volkraken check and effective trapper. Both of its main sets have put in a great deal of work, despite a raise in Pursuit usage and anti-ghost tech, and it rises off of that.

Torn-T to A+: Tornadus-T is one of, if not the, best defogger in the metagame as it stands. It's a fantastic pivot and U-Turn abuser, hits rather hard with a powerful hurricane, and can use a variety of options such as Heat Wave or HP Ground to chip common switchins like Ferrothorn or Crucibelle. Torn finds itself usable on a wide spread of teams and very common for a good reason, and as such it jumps up to A+.

Mega Alakazam: Mega Aalakzam holds numerous offensive positive traits over Mega Latios. Its superior Special Attack and Speed allow it to be a better sweeper, and Trace + Recover allows it to efficiently check non-Steelium Z Heatran. Its coverage is generally superior to Mega Latios's as well, as Shadow Ball + Focus Blast hits the Steel-types of the metagame harder than Earthquake does. However, Mega Latios's advantage over Mega Alakazam's is its ability to check Volkraken while still retaining a good amount of offensive power. For these reasons Mega Alakazam will be rising to A- but ranked under Mega Latios.

Kyurem-B: Kyurem-B showed numerous times in CAPTT and seasonals, as its stellar coverage, access to Roost, and obscene power with Icium Z Freeze Shock amounts to at least one KO per game. Although its Ice-typing hinders it slightly, namely as a Dragon-type that cannot fully check Volkraken, it holds a good place in the metagame, able to break open most defensive cores with smart play.

Kitsunoh: Kitsunoh has risen to be one of the metagame's top Choice Scarf users, as it is able to reliably check Shell Smash Necturna. With only Shadow Strike and U-turn as required moves, it can pick from a variety of other moves for its last to moveslots, including Iron Fist Meteor Mash, Iron Fist Ice Punch, Earthquake, Defog, or Trick. If opting out of Iron Fist, Limber allows Kitsunoh to pivot out of Cyclohm and Zapdos without activating Static as well. Additionally, its Choice Band set has seen some usage. Despite its average statline, Kitsunoh is a more relevant metagame thread at the moment, allowing it to fit into A-.

Suicune: Suicune saw some uptick in play at the end of the CAPTT season doing what it does best: being a strong, bulky CM sweeper. Its ability to PP stall with pressure and tank strong neutral hits to set up on mons like Clefable, defensive Jumbao and certain Zygarde sets gives it a powerful niche as a wincon deserving of B+.

Gliscor: Gliscor's Taunt + Toxic set allows it to fit into B+, as it is able to tackle Jumbao + Heatran cores, as well as other defensive Pokemon like non-Ice Punch Arghonaut and Tomohawk. It's an excellent pivot that fits well into the metagame, so it will be rising to B+.

Camerupt-Mega: Mega Camerupt Trick Room teams have spiked in popularity through the CAPTT season, and they've proven a viable alternative to more "standard" Trick Room builds. Due to it being one of the focal points of a newer version of a strong archetype, Mega Camerupt is moving up.

Malaconda: Malaconda has seen some niche usage recently as a pursuit trapper with utility. It's a reasonable Necturna answer, especially with the threat of Infiltration, a trapper for threats like Pajantom, and can occasionally provide sun support. It's still limited in application and rather untested overall, so it tentatively moves up to B-.

Reuniclus: Reuniclus has gotten quite a bit stronger in recent times, with it's ability to be a very strong CM sweeper and being helped by a great deal of metagame trends. Although it definitely struggles into some threats like Colossoil, especially if you're running Acid Armor, its ability set up on a lot of common threats with good bulk makes it far better than C rank and much more on par with what's evident in B+.

The VR team would like input on the following rises. We've included some reasoning including their strengths and weaknesses
Pajantom from A to S
Aurumoth from A to A+
Revenankh from B+ to A-
Tangrowth from B+ to A-
Weavile from from B+ to A-
Pajantom: Pajantom has been making waves in the meta utilising its ability to trap would-be switch-ins with Spirit Shackle, whilst also removing their ability to recover with Heal Block. This combination of moves allows Pajantom to run through defensive teams easily as common walls such as Tomohawk, Toxapex and Arghonaut all lose to it due to not being able to recover or afflict status onto Pajantom due to its ability, Comatose. This is further exaggerated when Pajantom utilises a Z move, which allows it to break through Pokemon much more easily minimising chip damage it takes, allowing it to often run through defensive cores of teams with ease. Pajantom also has respectable bulk and an effective defensive typing, which it can make use of whilst maintaining its identity as a trapper. A specially defensive set transforms Pajantom into a solid Volkraken check, giving it plenty of opportunities to come in and often force a kill with the combination of Toxic, Heal Block and Spirit Shackles. Pajantom’s main limiting factor is its susceptibility to being revenge killed due to its middling speed tier. After a kill, it is forced out by many meta staples, such as both Greninja forms (sans protect scouting for the spdf set), Kitsunoh, Colossoil and Tapu Koko. However, between these two sets, Pajantom can force most common balance cores to play awkwardly to avoid being trapped. The VR team would like to know whether or not these attributes are worthy of S-rank.

Aurumoth: Aurumoth has been seeing a giant surge in usage in recent weeks with a plethora of viable sets making appearances. This is a byproduct of Aurumoths versatility; its access to an incredible array of coverage as well as many different ways to boost its stats make it a threat that is difficult to prepare for. The most common sets, QD No Gaurd and Tail Glow Weak Armour can effectively sweep through most of the meta depending on coverage options and both set up on common pokemon in the Meta such as CB Zygarde and Scarf Landorus. Both of these sets existing simultaneously only make Aurumoth more frustrating to deal with, as you can't know whether to attack Aurumoth as it sets up with Quiver Dance, or not to attack it less it boost to +2 speed with Weak Armour. On top of this, Aurumoth can run a huge variety of items from Z moves for its coverage options, to pinch berries and even Weakness Policy to make use of its incredible bulk. All of these factors make Aurumoth extremely unpredictable and difficult to play against however it does have a few weaknesses that can keep it in line. A weakness to Stealth Rock makes bringing Aurumoth in difficult, despite its good bulk. Using Aurumoth on Veil or Screens teams allows you to negate this weakness by increasing its defensive capabilities greatly allowing it to find many more set up opportunities, which explains why these teams are where the moth has found the most success as of late. Another limiting factor of Aurumoth is the fact that it cant run a combination of attacks which effectively deal with all of its checks, giving it a problem akin to 4mss. For example, it needs Bug Buzz to reliably deal with Mega Lati@s, Overheat to hit Magearna/Celesteela and Focus Blast to beat Heatran and Ferrothorn. The VR team would like to know if Aurumoth's extreme viability on screens teams and generally positive matchups on other teams is worth of A+ rank.

Revenankh: Revenankh has become increasingly useful since the debut of a set utilising dual status moves emerged. Unlike previous Revenankh sets, dual status aimed to utilise the defensive capabilities of triage, as well as the typing of Ghost / Fighting which gives it resistances to extremely potent pokemon, such as Crucibelle, whilst also having the ability to throw out combinations of Glare, Toxic or Will-O-Wisp, all whilst having access to Triage Moonlight. However, this leaves Revenankh with only one open move slot, making it incredibly easy to be set up on by Pokemon such as Zygarde and Necturna which can substitute to avoid status afflictions and can easily take on common options for Revenankh’s last slot, such as Drain Punch. On top of this, sets utilising Bulk Up are still usable since the decline in usage of Tapu Lele and Tomohawk, 2 of its biggest counters, but it still lacks the impact of other set-up sweepers which can beat staples such as Arghonaut and Clefable. Despite the constraints Revenankh faces, the VR would like to know if Revenankh fits better in A- rank.

Tangrowth: Tangrowth has become more used as a blanket check to many Pokemon in the meta, most notably Zygarde. Assault Vest allows Tangrowth to also function as a check to many special such as Ash Greninja, Mega Alakazam and Tapu Koko despite its low base Special Defense. Physically defensive Tangrowth also has its uses as an even better check to Zygarde whilst also having the ability to sleep potential threats. Tangrowth often finds itself comparing with Jumbao for inclusion on a team and the newest CAP has many merits which make it worth taking over Tangrowth however; the Pure Grass typing of Tang makes it able to check Corkscrew Crash Zygarde, which Jumbao cannot, and its ability, Regenerator, makes it much easier to keep healthy compared to its CAP counterpart - making the choice between the 2 a little more competitive despite them filling similar roles. The VR team would like to know if these attributes allows Tangrowth to fit into A- rank.

Weavile: Weavile finds itself in an interesting position where its STAB combination, paired with a Choice Band, allows it to significantly chunk a large portion of the meta. Knock off and Pursuit allow it to effectively pressure Pokemon such as Pajantom, Heatran and Mega Latios. Ice coverage also allows it to hit incredibly potent pokemon such as Jumbao, Landorus and Zygarde - with Ice Shard allowing it to revenge kill Shell Smash Necturna. This combination of factors make Weavile a decent pick as a countermeasure to the current meta despite its long list of weaknesses such as weakness to Stealth Rock and paper-thin defences. It also competes for a team slot with Syclant, which fulfills the same role whilst being immune to Stealth Rock, at the cost of some speed. The VR team would like to know if Weavile's positives allow it to fit into A- rank.
With that said, with CAP25 dropping in soon, the next substantial update to the VR will occur after their release. Until then, please discuss the potential drops and raises. Thanks for reading!

I'm just gonna drop my thoughts on the current Discussion Points.

→S: Agree

I definitely agree with Pajantom rising to S for a few reasons. For one, Z-Move Pajantom is broken, there's no defensive check to Pajantom and the only semi-reliable counter play available is Pursuit trappers, which are still not very reliable due to Weavile's inability to directly switch in, Mega Tyranitar's weakness to Earthquake, which means it will drop to Devastating Drake after that, and Colossoil, which has to win mindgames. Another thing I'd like to note is just how easily Pajantom gets free turns from defensive Pokemon in the tier like Tomohawk, Chansey, Toxapex, and certain Heatran sets, which isn't really a defensive Pokemon as much as it is a utility Pokemon, but Pajantom still takes advantage of it really well. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's not hard to get into play at all. Aside of Z-Move sets, Specially Defensive sets are really solid as well, the set itself is a pretty formidable check to Pokemon like Volkraken and is just as big of a menace to defensive teams as the Z-Move sets.

While Pajantom has done these things forever, I'm glad to see that it's finally getting more recognition after me and Swing were screaming about how broken the Z-Move sets are in the Discord server.

→A+: Unsure

I'm glad Aurumoth is getting recognition because it's definitely a lot better than people make it out to be, but I do have a few things to say about it which make me question if Aurumoth should actually rise.

I think that Aurumoth could rise, because it can basically pick its checks and counters, and in a tournament environment where you can build off of common trends from your opponent, Aurumoth is very effective because of this. However, I think that when you take Aurumoth outside of a tournament environment, it's rather inconsistent, because there aren't really any common trends to go off, which often means you will be walled by something like Magearna, Mega Lati@s, Ferrothorn, etc. depending on what coverage you decide to drop. To keep it short, what I'm trying to get at is that Aurumoth is amazing in tournament play, but inconsistent outside of that, and that I think that should be considered when ranking it.

→A-: Agree

The Discussion Points summed this one up pretty well imo. Though I do just want to add that Tangrowth doesn't really counter Mega Alakazam and that it usually just ends up in a stalemate because you're both forced out, and Mega Alakazam recovers with Regenerator so it doesn't really mind getting hit if it means forcing Tangrowth out.

→A-: Agree

Pursuit and Knock Off are super good in this meta and give Weavile the means it needs to compete with Syclant. This is unrelated to if Weavile should be A-, but people should try out Choice Scarf Weavile for Mega Alakazam.

Now for a nomination of my own:

→A-

I pretty much put all my thoughts in this post, but I'll sum it up quickly. Tomohawk should keep sliding further down the VR because it just isn't that good, its defensive set gives Pokemon like Mega Lati@s, Mega Alakazam, and Heatran way too many free turns, fails to check any of the top setup sweepers, and it just isn't good at spinning or setting Stealth Rock. I made it pretty clear that I prefer offensive Tomohawk, but admittedly, offensive Tomohawk isn't enough to keep it in A+ either.

→C/B-
I believe Moltres should be ranked for its niche on stall teams, which was used this seasonal to success. For who don't know, Moltres helps with Pokemon that usually bother stall, like Heatran, Jumbao, Magearna, Clefable, and Mega Mawile, which the archetype would really struggle against otherwise. Moltres is also extremely effective at keeping off hazards from Spikes-stacking Ferrothorn balance teams, which usually feature Clefable to set up Stealth Rock against Mega Sableye.

Here's 2 replays that featured Moltres and showcase what it's capable of.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-809416131
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-826808952

→C
While I do realize that every fat Water-type directly competes with Arghonaut, I do believe Slowbro has a valuable niche over it. While Slowbro gives up Spikes, it trades that for the ability to effectively wall physical attackers like as Mega Medicham, Zygarde, and Hawlucha, which are all really big threats in the current metagame. Slowbro also has a much better match up against Mega Latios than Arghonaut.

tl;dr: While Slowbro is not as easy to fit on a team as Arghonaut, and in general provides less support than Arghonaut, Slowbro does have a valuable niche over it, which makes it worth to consider using on your team, and should thus be ranked.

Unfortunately, I don't have any CAP replays where Slowbro puts in work.
I still stand by these nominations.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
-> S
Pajantom is the primary way in shutting down most passive threats in the tier simply due to how oppressive it can be opposing defensive mons that can't break through it while it can effectively trap and KO a multitude of common threats / cores in the metagame in return. Its defensive properties are also something that increasingly seem to intrigue me due to taking on scary mons such as Volkraken, Heatran, and even certain Kartana sets which lack much counterplay in their own right. The general splashability of the mon is generally why a proceeding rise to S is warranted at this time. Pajantom can form so many offensive cores with so many other teammates its insane and is why it can be considered an S-Rank threat (Spirit Shackle is a broken move ffs).

-> A+
I never really agreed with the whole notion of Aurumoth being bad after it lost Illusion. Both TG + Weak Armor 50% berry and No Guard Z-sets are extremely effective on offensive teams (esp screens / veil), acting as a great wincon which can lure in some of its checks such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. I think what really makes it standout to other setup sweepers is the fact that both its sets are viable and require different measures of counterplay depending on the coverage it chooses to run. Physical sets can also catch spdef walls for suprise as well. The surplus of Kitsonoh and Magearna don't offer it many favors, although the ladder is tending to run more offensive sets which allow Moth to break through it much easier with even just one boost.

-> B+
While I still feel this mon is a tad bit underrated, Revenankh is still kinda hard to build around in my opinion. It is an effective answer to most offensive teams as it eases some setup opportunities with Wisp and even break down some checks with a tech Toxic option, however Reven can still struggle to break through certain checks like Tomo and even Tornadus-T which are mons that are extremely common in the current meta. It can also be strapKoped for a moveset as running Drain Punch, Moonlight, W-o-W, Toxic, Moonlight, Sneak, Bulk Up, and coverage in Ice Punch and Knock Off can all be too demanding at times. Good mon but not in the ranks of Mega Mawile and Zap imo.

-> A-
Yes. Being an amazing check to dangerous stuff like Ash-Gren, Zygarde, Tapu Koko, Krilowatt, and Colossoil is really good. I feel both the Assault Vest and physically defensive sets have merit in the current meta and generally the role compression that Tang offers is really something noteworthy when the meta is littered with so many threats. Torn, Heatran, and even Mega Crucibelle still give it a headache.

-> A-
I agree this mon is not as good as it once was like at all. Physically defensive sets drain up so much momentum for more offensive teams as Air Slash does pitiful damage to most neutral targets and it isn't even as good as a hazard setter / remover due to the popularity of Pajantom and Defog Tornadus-T respectively, I feel its best niche atm is as a suicide lead on Hyper offensive teams since it can usually keep SR up with Taunt + Memento and can still be a threat with a more powerful yet inaccurate Hurricane. Although I have to say, being one of the most reliable (cough only cough) SS Necturna answers cannot be overlooked though. Please give Reflect back.

My own nom:

-> A
Can act as a semi-reliable switchin to Mega Crucibelle and actually break through the majority of balance cores in the tier. All-out offensive sets really shine when luring in common switchins such as Heatran and Celesteela with a Focus Punch and Thunder Punch respectively. The rise in stall also aids it as it acts as one of the best stallbreakers in the tier due to it being a setup sweeper being able to break through Arghonaut + Clefable. Yes, it does face some competition with Cruc and Medicham as breaker megas, but Mawile's ability to setup + the little defensive utility it can provide to some teams is what makes it a better option at times for certain teams imo.

-> A-

Koko really dropped off after the inclusion of Jumbao + the rise of more defensive Pajantom and Gastrodon. Offensive sets really lack the power at times when it has already consumed it's Z-Move. I feel Defog Pivot sets offer the most utility at the moment, checking annoying mons such as Torn-T, Tomohawk, and some Cyclohm variants, although there still is some better options out there (esp Krilowatt for VoltTurn teams). Hawlucha's viability is directly tied to Koko imo as it is it's best partner. Hawlucha can't really break through much when we got Kitsonoh, Celesteela, and Zapdos running around in the tier. Its still a threatening sweeper that especially appreciates the decline of Haze Tomo, although not A worthy.

-> A-
Stall is better so its only obvious that Mega Sableye should rise. With the advent of spdef. Pajantom, Stealth Rock Mega Crucibelle, Spikes Protean Greninja, and even certain Auromoth sets, Sableye can be a great advocate for the potency of most stall builds. Even general stallbreaking balance mons like Taunt Tornadus-T and Revenankh get stopped by Sab which is always nice. It has faced some competition with other more niche megas like Aggron to better check threats like Mawile, but I still Sableye offers the edge versus other stall options due to Magic Bounce being such an important ability.

There are some other stuff in the lower ranks like Mega Gallade, Stratagem, and Cresselia that have questionable positions but I think we should stick to fixing upper rankings for now.

G-Luke

-> A+
I never really agreed with the whole notion of Aurumoth being bad after it lost Illusion. Both TG + Weak Armor 50% berry and No Guard Z-sets are extremely effective on offensive teams (esp screens / veil), acting as a great wincon which can lure in some of its checks such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. I think what really makes it standout to other setup sweepers is the fact that both its sets are viable and require different measures of counterplay depending on the coverage it chooses to run. Physical sets can also catch spdef walls for suprise as well. The surplus of Kitsonoh and Magearna don't offer it many favors, although the ladder is tending to run more offensive sets which allow Moth to break through it much easier with even just one boost.
"Aurumoth - Illusion = Not as gud mate"
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-834286301

I'm just waiting til the OG Lamp God grabs back its S rank

Since the post relating to the last update reads that we can discuss the rises / drops, I'm going to share my thoughts on the ones I disagree with :

: Seeing that Tomohawk dropped (which in my opinion isn't deserved, but I'll cover that later) and that many Ghost and Psychic-types like Necturna, Pajantom and Alakazam rose makes me even more confident that Colossoil should have stayed A, as even if Weavile is more suited to pursuit trap Necturna and Pajantom due to its better Speed and more reliable priority in form of Ice Shard, I think that Colossoil is still the second best Dark-type in the tier, only behind Greninja which accomplishes completely different tasks. Being worn down "very quickly" when holding a Flame Orb is an over-exaggeration to me, at least it never has been an issue in my experience, especially since Colo packs a resistance to SR, and any Life Orb user will often die much more quickly, Weavile being a prime example. The Flame Orb set is never a deadweight in any match-up due to its very strong Sucker Punch which threaten some of the most dangerous Pokemon in the metagame, including Aurumoth and just about any fast Pokemon that doesn't resist it, Facade variants barely has any reliable answer as even Tomohawk can lose if you predicts Roost correctly, and Pursuit is extremely useful against a lot of Pokemon, especially the ones that tend to rely on statues like Chansey. Scarf Colo is also pretty neat since its a reliable RK to Aurumoth and Cawmodore when packing Foul Play, and you don't have to rely on Sucker Punch anymore to threat Pokemon like Pajantom and Alakazam-Mega before using Pursuit.

: Being "good" in a viable archetype doesn't warrant B since the Pokemon itself is still pretty niche in my opinion and Fidgit already covers some Magearna and Koko variants very effectively. Mawile-Mega's typing, Sucker Punch and wallbreaking capabilities will certainly be missed since Camerupt has an hard time against Lati@s-Mega, Arghonaut, AV Colo, SpDef Pajantom and Zygarde, Gastrodon, Rotom-W... Even though it still hit them hard, it will have to flee more often than Mawile, and thus will make its team lose more TR turns.

: Unlike Alakazam-Mega, Stratagem doesn't consume a mega-slot, isn't weak to Pursuit and even though it doesn't have the luxury of a perfect coverage with 3 moves, this is only annoying if you don't have anything else to carry Stealth Rocks, and with 4 attacking moves Stratagem hits a much wider array of Pokemon, including some that gives trouble to Alakazam like Celesteela, Magearna, AV Tangrowth, Sableye-Mega... It also doesn't have to rely on an inaccurate move like Focus Blast, and while Alakazam-Mega is very powerful, there's a lot of Pokemon it cannot threaten to OHKOsince it doesn't hit them super-effectively , like Offenisve Jumbao, Volkraken, Zard-Y... Besides, I think that Stratagem, Hoopa-U and to a lesser extent Zard-X are significantly more viable than the rest of B, so seeing these here feels very weird to me.

: You said it yourself: Cawmodore restrains teambuilding, something that doesn't apply to most of the B- Mons like Keldeo since you usually end up checking them without thinking about it. I think that the argument that reads that Cawmodore has an hard-time setting-up is just straight up wrong, as it can easily set-up in front of most variants of Jumbao, Arghonaut, Colossoil, Fidgit, Krilowatt, Kitsunoh, Ferrothorn, Kartana, Malaconda, Zygarde, Landorus-Therian, Plasmanta, Tapu koko, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, Clefable, Scizor-Mega, Gliscor... and the list goes on. So unless you're really confident that you'll be able to keep each of these Mon out of your teams or outside the field at the end of each turns, be sure to pack one of Hazehawk (which still has to leave the field at <40%), Cyclohm (with Fire Blast), Zapdos, Celesteela (with a spread and set specifically made to handle Cawmodore), Scarf Volk, (Ash-)Ninja, Scarf lele (HP Fire isn't a sure OHKO on 75% Cawm though) or something that has a niche on checking Cawm. Intimidate is also perfectly usable if the ability to set-up in front of Crucibelle-Mega or Ghostium-Z Pajantom, for instance. At least I never saw a Cawmodore that couldn't find the opportunity to set-up. It's otherwise very similar to Necturna which has admitelly less checks, more chance of to set-up and is more splashable and versatile, in exchange of an harder time to set-up and barely any defensive utility.

: Kerfluffle deals much more damages to the likes of Celesteela or Magearna than Tapu Lele with Focus Blast, which achieves a 2HKO with rocks on most variants on the former, Chansey shares the same fate. Tapu Koko in my opinion isn't really a good comparaison as an offensive-Fairy type, especially since it's much easier to check it than Kerflufle, which is also significantly faster than Lele. Parting Shot is a big selling point and is in my opinion very underrated in an environment in a metagame with a wide amount of dangerous set-up sweepers like Aurumoth, Necturna and Zygarde as well as Voluturn oriented teams are this good. Z-Celebrate was also very scary the few times I faced it on the ladder since there aren't much scarfer faster than Kerfluffle bar Greninja, which needs Gunk Shot to reliably RK it, and Tomohawk has to trade if it wants to stop it, whereas Circle Throw / Toxic less Arghonaut serves as a set-up fodder.

: I still that Tomohawk is an overall better Pokemon than Crucibelle-Mega and Zygarde and thus is worthy of S-Rank. I hardly doubt that the impact Hazehawk has on the metagame can be denied, especially when it checks the three current S ranked Mon in one slot (it admittely doesn't fair well against Subtoxic Zygarde, but why are these variants regarded as the most effectives one in CAP again ?). Being a set-up sweeper that can reliably threaten Tomohawk and Arghonaut is an advantage. It also makes a very good spinner due to its ability to threaten Necturna and Revenankh and progressively weaken most SR setters like Ferrothorn and Lando-T, and Prankster SR is also neat. Outside of all the utility it brings, Offensive Tomohawk has multiple reason to be chosen over Tornadus-T, with only two STAB (although their accuracy remain an issue, but Crucibelle-Mega has a similar problem but is still S rank) , it's usually tougher to switch into than a Tornadus-T with 4 attacking moveslot due to the additionnal STAB and power and much scarier to defensive oriented teams. This frees the two remaining moveslot with a lot of cool options like Roost, Taunt, Nature Power, Heat Wave ( for Kitsunoh and steels in general) or the wide array of utility moves it can bring. In my opinion, Tomohawk still excels at everything it can do, both dfensively and offensively, and should rise if it's going to move at all. Even if Psychic-types are rising, it doesn't prevent it from doing its job. It's too metagame-defining to be ranked lower.

I agree on everything other nomitions made bar rising Tangrowth, which in my opinion faces too much competition from Jumbao and the fact that it cannot check everything it wants all at once is kinda bothering. I may developp later, when the three CAP 25 join the party.

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Since the post relating to the last update reads that we can discuss the rises / drops, I'm going to share my thoughts on the ones I disagree with :

: Seeing that Tomohawk dropped (which in my opinion isn't deserved, but I'll cover that later) and that many Ghost and Psychic-types like Necturna, Pajantom and Alakazam rose makes me even more confident that Colossoil should have stayed A, as even if Weavile is more suited to pursuit trap Necturna and Pajantom due to its better Speed and more reliable priority in form of Ice Shard, I think that Colossoil is still the second best Dark-type in the tier, only behind Greninja which accomplishes completely different tasks. Being worn down "very quickly" when holding a Flame Orb is an over-exaggeration to me, at least it never has been an issue in my experience, especially since Colo packs a resistance to SR, and any Life Orb user will often die much more quickly, Weavile being a prime example. The Flame Orb set is never a deadweight in any match-up due to its very strong Sucker Punch which threaten some of the most dangerous Pokemon in the metagame, including Aurumoth and just about any fast Pokemon that doesn't resist it, Facade variants barely has any reliable answer as even Tomohawk can lose if you predicts Roost correctly, and Pursuit is extremely useful against a lot of Pokemon, especially the ones that tend to rely on statues like Chansey. Scarf Colo is also pretty neat since its a reliable RK to Aurumoth and Cawmodore when packing Foul Play, and you don't have to rely on Sucker Punch anymore to threat Pokemon like Pajantom and Alakazam-Mega before using Pursuit.

: Being "good" in a viable archetype doesn't warrant B since the Pokemon itself is still pretty niche in my opinion and Fidgit already covers some Magearna and Koko variants very effectively. Mawile-Mega's typing, Sucker Punch and wallbreaking capabilities will certainly be missed since Camerupt has an hard time against Lati@s-Mega, Arghonaut, AV Colo, SpDef Pajantom and Zygarde, Gastrodon, Rotom-W... Even though it still hit them hard, it will have to flee more often than Mawile, and thus will make its team lose more TR turns.

: Unlike Alakazam-Mega, Stratagem doesn't consume a mega-slot, isn't weak to Pursuit and even though it doesn't have the luxury of a perfect coverage with 3 moves, this is only annoying if you don't have anything else to carry Stealth Rocks, and with 4 attacking moves Stratagem hits a much wider array of Pokemon, including some that gives trouble to Alakazam like Celesteela, Magearna, AV Tangrowth, Sableye-Mega... It also doesn't have to rely on an inaccurate move like Focus Blast, and while Alakazam-Mega is very powerful, there's a lot of Pokemon it cannot threaten to OHKOsince it doesn't hit them super-effectively , like Offenisve Jumbao, Volkraken, Zard-Y... Besides, I think that Stratagem, Hoopa-U and to a lesser extent Zard-X are significantly more viable than the rest of B, so seeing these here feels very weird to me.

: You said it yourself: Cawmodore restrains teambuilding, something that doesn't apply to most of the B- Mons like Keldeo since you usually end up checking them without thinking about it. I think that the argument that reads that Cawmodore has an hard-time setting-up is just straight up wrong, as it can easily set-up in front of most variants of Jumbao, Arghonaut, Colossoil, Fidgit, Krilowatt, Kitsunoh, Ferrothorn, Kartana, Malaconda, Zygarde, Landorus-Therian, Plasmanta, Tapu koko, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, Clefable, Scizor-Mega, Gliscor... and the list goes on. So unless you're really confident that you'll be able to keep each of these Mon out of your teams or outside the field at the end of each turns, be sure to pack one of Hazehawk (which still has to leave the field at <40%), Cyclohm (with Fire Blast), Zapdos, Celesteela (with a spread and set specifically made to handle Cawmodore), Scarf Volk, (Ash-)Ninja, Scarf lele (HP Fire isn't a sure OHKO on 75% Cawm though) or something that has a niche on checking Cawm. Intimidate is also perfectly usable if the ability to set-up in front of Crucibelle-Mega or Ghostium-Z Pajantom, for instance. At least I never saw a Cawmodore that couldn't find the opportunity to set-up. It's otherwise very similar to Necturna which has admitelly less checks, more chance of to set-up and is more splashable and versatile, in exchange of an harder time to set-up and barely any defensive utility.

: Kerfluffle deals much more damages to the likes of Celesteela or Magearna than Tapu Lele with Focus Blast, which achieves a 2HKO with rocks on most variants on the former, Chansey shares the same fate. Tapu Koko in my opinion isn't really a good comparaison as an offensive-Fairy type, especially since it's much easier to check it than Kerflufle, which is also significantly faster than Lele. Parting Shot is a big selling point and is in my opinion very underrated in an environment in a metagame with a wide amount of dangerous set-up sweepers like Aurumoth, Necturna and Zygarde as well as Voluturn oriented teams are this good. Z-Celebrate was also very scary the few times I faced it on the ladder since there aren't much scarfer faster than Kerfluffle bar Greninja, which needs Gunk Shot to reliably RK it, and Tomohawk has to trade if it wants to stop it, whereas Circle Throw / Toxic less Arghonaut serves as a set-up fodder.

: I still that Tomohawk is an overall better Pokemon than Crucibelle-Mega and Zygarde and thus is worthy of S-Rank. I hardly doubt that the impact Hazehawk has on the metagame can be denied, especially when it checks the three current S ranked Mon in one slot (it admittely doesn't fair well against Subtoxic Zygarde, but why are these variants regarded as the most effectives one in CAP again ?). Being a set-up sweeper that can reliably threaten Tomohawk and Arghonaut is an advantage. It also makes a very good spinner due to its ability to threaten Necturna and Revenankh and progressively weaken most SR setters like Ferrothorn and Lando-T, and Prankster SR is also neat. Outside of all the utility it brings, Offensive Tomohawk has multiple reason to be chosen over Tornadus-T, with only two STAB (although their accuracy remain an issue, but Crucibelle-Mega has a similar problem but is still S rank) , it's usually tougher to switch into than a Tornadus-T with 4 attacking moveslot due to the additionnal STAB and power and much scarier to defensive oriented teams. This frees the two remaining moveslot with a lot of cool options like Roost, Taunt, Nature Power, Heat Wave ( for Kitsunoh and steels in general) or the wide array of utility moves it can bring. In my opinion, Tomohawk still excels at everything it can do, both dfensively and offensively, and should rise if it's going to move at all. Even if Psychic-types are rising, it doesn't prevent it from doing its job. It's too metagame-defining to be ranked lower.

I agree on everything other nomitions made bar rising Tangrowth, which in my opinion faces too much competition from Jumbao and the fact that it cannot check everything it wants all at once is kinda bothering. I may developp later, when the three CAP 25 join the party.
I don't think this post is very indicative of the metagame at all. When talking about Pokemon I feel like you under value sets and talk down pretty highly on competitors of team slots. When talking about Colossoil, you compared it to weaville a lot, but you never really actually put them up against the overall metagame. Weaville's speed and typing gives it incredible matchups versus a lot of Pokemon, especially physical walls as there's not really many hard counters to Weaville outside of some steel types, which Colossoil clearly has an advantage against majority of them. However when looking at top walls such as Jumbao, Tomohawk, Clefable, Landorus-T Weaville has a clear niche above Colo, while also being able to hit faster offensive targets such as Tornadus, weakened Crucibelle, Syclant, and base 95's which colo would risk tying with. Not only this but Weaville is also a great check to Necturna, Zygarde and weakened Pokemon thanks to a more reliable form of priority(in terms of 50/50's). Colossoil does however have niches over Weaville such as being an electric immunity, resisting stealth rocks, being bulkier and having the freedom of switching moves so it's less likely to be set up bait. Colossoil has a strong role in the metagame, however given the state of the metagame I think it rivals too much with Weaville as a Dark-Type for the VR to imply it's just that greater. While you can say you prefer one over the other I don't think the difference between them is that great that they should be ranked apart from each other. Also, Weaville doesn't run lo it runs CB.

Your point about camerupt was very brief and lacked any real metagame reasoning, and shows you don't really know what Camerupt actually does and has done. Camerupt is paired with Tapu Bulu to give it a Grass-Type Nature Power allowing it to break past a lot of the water type checks you named. Pajantom takes 41 minimum from Earth Power and doesn't have recovery at all, while also not being able to actually kill camerupt thanks to its bulk, so the most it can do is stall TR turns and get off a toxic which is nice, but not very effective overall in my opinion. You also have discredited TR's influence in the metagame overall, as it is a Top-Tier playstyle, so the components of the playstyle are clearly not just some C tier trash similar to other setter style playstyles like rain, which you seem to have no real problem about even though Swampert-Mega is B+ rank and Kingdra is B-; It's very contradictory.

Kerfluffle is a very niche fairy type over other fairies which all have way more selling points, such as more strength and abilities which cause a lasting affect on the battle field after they leave which can hinder opponents or strengthen your own Pokemon. Kerfluffle's Parting Shot is effective, as a pivot but it falls short of any actual presence due to being worn down by lo and lacking strength, or having choice specs and locking into a typing which much prefers to be able to switch moves easily(Which is even more important for parting shot). Not to mention using Choice Specs, which in my opinion is the superior item, means locking into a Fighting-Type stab leaves you vulnerable to Necturna and Aurumoth which you listed as pokemon it beats. While Tapu Lele and Jumbao both lack the speed, they both have much greater wallbreaker potential, which is way more valuable in this metagame as Tapu Lele can use CM sets to freely break teams, scarf to revenge kill threats and Specs to just click psychic and do around 40% to resists. Jumbao has a superior typing, ability and movepool and can serve defensively even if given an offensive spread allowing it to check big threats. Z-Celeberate Kefluffle is a niche sweeper, and doesn't really stand out in the metagame as a sweeper therefore makes it much harder to warrant the Z-Move. Overall I think this nomination needs more replay evidence to even be considered.

Tomohawk has been a very controversial topic for a while, but I think that the decision to drop it was one hundred percent warranted and I highly doubt we will go back on this nomination unless there is greater evidence to suggest otherwise. The reason behind this can firstly be seen in the most recent CapTT where, Tomohawk was seen a number of 39 times, but only had a 48% win rate. When comparing this to other walls, Clefable, Celesteela, Gastrodon, Jumbao and even Pyroak had a win percentage of: 68%, 68%, 80%, 55%, and 63% respectively. Which is shocking since as an S rank pokemon it's not doing very well in comparison. As well as this, looking at the top 25 used Pokemon in this tournament Tomohawk only actually matches up well versus 4 of them (Colossoil, Pyroak, Ferrothorn, and Arghonaut), the others all have a way to get around Tomohawk and are all pretty effective at it. Of course, 1 tournament isn't indicative of an entire metagame even if it's CapTT, however when you look at the Pokemon currently dominating the metagame as wallbreakers, a good majority beat tomohawk pretty well prevent it from being a top tier wall(You can see this by simply scrolling down the VR, it pretty much loses to majority of all the A ranks). Also your point about Tomohawk beating all the S ranks is simply untrue, while it can beat Necturna's main set it can't handle CB in the sun or SG leech seed making it a potential liability in the matchup. Zygarde's best sets normally have sub, toxic and the newer glare which lets it simply just pressure tomohawk. Tomohawk can't even hit cruci and has to fear Gunk Shot poisons, it's an unreliable counter at best. As a wall it loses momentum to a great amount of threats and pivots like Crucibelle, Krillowatt, Magearna, Heatran, Celesteela, Tapu Koko and Mawille while also only being able to safely Haze check a small portion of less relevant threats like Kartana or Mega Scizor. There's plenty more to say about Tomohawk such as it's rivalry with Tornadus as a less momentum draining flying type remover, but I think the points I've already listed above are more than enough reason to drop Tomohawk to A+. It simply isn't a dominant force in the metagame and has no big impact in teambuilding and generally in games.

Cawmodore sees very little competitive play for a reason, and any actual real success outside of ladder therefore I'm not going to argue with it. Instead I'm going to ask for you to support this nomination with high level replays and then we will more than likely raise it if it's seeing even an inch of consistency as an effective sweeper.

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
gonna drop some of my thoughts on the slate (n co)

Paj to S: please. This is honestly really really good and the biggest issue I have with it is that it just doesn't like pursuit. Hits like a truck, tends to guarantee a kill a game that is very impactful (something like, oh wall dead->xyz wins). Zmove sets are so incredibly strong with so limited answers, and SpDef isn't half bad either. Raise this.

Weavile to A: This thing is actually so incredibly good. Pursuit is fan-freaking-tastic right now, Ice/Dark coverage hits so much stuff, Ice Shard helps vs Nect, and even just getting to click Knock as it dies helps in some MUs. Getting it in can suck, but aggressive play can help with doubling into pursuit targets and the like. Love this nom.

Not a ton of opinion on Auru (jordy basically said it best IMO, it's def good just unsure of how effective it will always be) or Tang, and to be quite honest I do not know nearly enough to comment on Rev at this point.

Agree with Hawk down again, it's just so much less effective, but that's been beaten to death by drap/jordy/funbot

Want to touch on Camel, for a moment, now that that's been called into question. Camerupt TR's built really quite differently than other (Maw) TRs, where like Drap said you have Bulu for grassy terrain among other stuff. If you just subbed -Maw +Camel for a team, you're going to lose effectiveness, but the differences in the builds (Bulu+Jumb for supporting the breaking power of Camel, pursuit for Lati@s) just make Camel insanely effective (and quietly make TR tougher to prep for cause we're now hitting from a different defense than most TR abusers).

For a nom of my own:

Serperior up: This is waaaaaaaay too low. I love Serp so much right now, it's an incredibly effective cleaner that gets to do other stuff (glare, subseed) that gives it niches when you're not gonna be able to fire off 8 straight Leaf Storms. Doesn't love some of the popular/rising stuff like the ice duo of Weavile/Syclant, Torn being so popular alongside Steela, but it's incredibly threatening especially in the late game with a solid speed tier and ability to chunk a LOT of the metagame. Messed around with scarf some too, but I can't really speak on that being anything more than a bit memey. this one's for you jordy

G-Luke

Gonna argue some thoughts, then nom a few of my own.

Pajantom from A to S
Yes. While Pursuit is becoming suuuper common (more on that later), Pajantom is simply an extremely dominating Pokémon, absolutely munching up defensive / balance cores. I think the fact that Pajantom can actually customize its moveset to trap specific Pokemon is severely underrated. Earlier today, A Pajantom successfully lured out my Jumbao, trapped it, then proceeded to nail me with a Corkscrew Crash, allowing his Zygarde to later win the game. Ion have much thoughts on SpD, I just know it generally traps what it needs to well.

Aurumoth from A to A+
A nom I also agree with wholeheartedly. I cannot begin to mention just how dangerous Aurumoth can be, in tour and ladder play. A simple No Guard QD + 3 Attacks set can easily handle a wide array of threats, while its TG + Weak Armour Berry sets also are devastating (I posted a replay earlier of me getting whipped by one). What makes it so scary though, is the sheer multitude of different sets designed to beat checks and counters it has running around. From weird EV spreads to Dragon Dance, Aurumoth can change itself just enough to a constant relevant threat.

Revenankh from B+ to A-
I had to disagree. New Starters withstanding, being the slowest Ghost type in a meta littered with strong powerful Ghost types is bound to be a bad thing. I understand that its one of the best checks to Mega Crucibelle, but other checks to Mega Cruci exist, especially ones that are not a free switch in for a potential S rank Pokémon and set up bait for another S rank, which makes it quite hard to justify its place amongst A-.

Tangrowth from B+ to A-
I agree with this. AV Tangrowth is super heat, sporting Knock Off and cool tech like Sludge Bomb for Jumbao and EQ for Heatran. I also adore Leech Seed and Sleep Powder sets on physically defensive sets (The fact that Tangrowth actually has a chance of surviving SD Hawlucha's Acrobatics from full is insane!) and neat little Regenerator cores can be slotted to outlast balance cores, much better than Bao can.

This thing is nuts man. As long as Nect is S, this should never be far behind.

My noms

Kitsunoh to A / A+
After Necturna rose to Phantom Force its way to oblivion, Kitsunoh rose as the primier means to revenge kill the beast. Then Kitsunoh further proved its worth when it was able to capitalize on its massive movepool and solid defensive typing to revenge several threats like Mega Crucibelle, Tornadus-T and Zygarde w/ Iron Fist Ice Punch, Volkraken and others. My personal favourite set is Shadow Strike, U-Turn, Earthquake and Trick. Trick allows one to cripple walls that would like to switch in. Its even actually very hard to Pursuit trap, thanks to it being faster than every standard Pursuit trapper (screw Scarf Weavile) and U-Turn nailing them super effectively.

Hawlucha to A+
This thing is almost guaranteed to be paired with the potent Tapu Koko to form the powerful Electric seed core. Unburden Hawlucha has to be one of the most threatening sweepers currently in the tier, thanks to its near blistering speed. Usually being behind screens gives it plentiful opportunities to set up and clean, and very few Pokemon can actually threaten it once its SD is up.

Last edited:
Hey, its me, a certain piece of garbage here for a nomination that's probably trash in both idea and wording, but whatever.

Mega Lopunny B- -> B

Ok, sure, this thing hates a few of the defensive pokemon of this metagame. (Argho, Tomo, Cyclo...) But on the other hand, there are a few huge mons it does decently against in this metagame, including 3/4 of the top threats.

Mega Crucibelle: Fake out + HJK has a good chance to OHKO this thing. Meanwhile, Head Smash does 48.7 - 57.5% back on a switch and Gunk Shot does 78.5 - 92.9%. Both the main coverage moves that it runs as far as I know (Low Kick and Wood Hammer) do around the same as Head Smash. A bit of a pain to switch into, but a revenge kill is possible. Although if it has a coil up, prior damage is required. (Though even at +1 attack, only Gunk Shot is a OHKO on lopunny.)
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle-Mega: 43-51 (12.1 - 14.4%) -- possible 7HKO + 252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle-Mega: 279-328 (78.8 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Fake Out vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle-Mega: 29-34 (8.1 - 9.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever + 252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle-Mega: 186-220 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Zygarde: First of all, I believe Lopunny still outspeeds zygarde after a single dragon dance. Thousand Arrows can only OHKO after two dragon dances (though it still does a lot, so thats a pain) and Fake Out + Ice Punch obliterates Zygarde. Of course, Substitute and Coil can always be issues.

Necturna: This ones probably the weakest one of what I call "the deadly 4," but Lopunny can still switch into its nightmare to eat it and hit it with a fake out before switching out again. A weak victory, but its something.

Pajantom: Ohhh boy. The rest of this were a little weak in certain situations (and necturna was just one i felt i should mention) but this matchup. Mega Lopunny absolutely murders Pajantom. Easily switch into SS, Fake Out, and Return, and the things dead. The thing absolutely loses and has to switch or die. What with how much of a nightmare Pajantom is, I'd call this a very useful trait.

Along with all that stuff I mentioned, Ferrothorn and Gliscor are nice matchups, a Naviathan without a Dragon Dance up is killed by Fake Out + HJK, and other obvious ones like Tyranitar or Colossoil.

I apologize if this post is complete garbage, but I also wouldn't be surprised. Especially since I cant quite try this out myself since I'm not that good at teambuilding...but I'd recommend others give it a shot.

Pajantom from A to S
Strongly agree. Despite the increasing Pursuit usage thanks to the shift on the meta with the introduction of the CAP25 starters, Pajantom is undoubtedly the best wallbreaker in the tier, getting rid of major threats such as Arghonaut, Tomohawk and Celesteela. Completely shutting down passive pokémon, hitting for skyhigh damage and having extremely good typing - even being able to run a specially defensive variant to deal with pokémon such as Volkraken -, there is no doubt Pajantom should be S tier.

Aurumoth from A to A+
I agree. I think the variety of Aurumoth's sets and it's setupping capabilities thanks to decent bulk and extense movepool make it a major threat in the CAP metagame. Not much else to say that hasn't already been said about it.

Revenankh from B+ to A-
I have to strongly disagree with this one. Specially with the introduction of the starters, Revenankh has kind of fallen from grace a little bit. It simply doesn't fit with the other outstanding A- tier pokémon, in my opinion. The omnipresence of Ghost-types in the metagame doesn't help it either and being weak to the, arguably, best offensive typings in the CAP meta (Fairy, Ghost and Flying) isn't doing Revenakh any favours.

Tangrowth from B+ to A-
I strongly agree. Assault Vest sets are able to pivot around amazingly and provide tremendous utility to it's teammates thanks to it's diverse movepool and access to Knock Off, while physically defensive sets are gaining popularity by handling our new freind rudolph Caribolt! This pokémon can certainly differentiate itself from other bulky grasses in the metagame and would make a great addition to the A- rank.

Yes! I strongly agree with this! Weavile's outstanding offensive capabilities are truly shining at the moment, being able to check the biggest setup sweeper of the metagame (Necturna), pursuit trap the vast amount of Ghost- and Psychic-types in the tier as well as provide utility with Knock Off and priority Ice Shard. Weavile should definitely be ranked higher.

My nominations:

Kitsunoh to A+
A big jump, but a deserving one. From it's outstanding defensive capabilities, handling the best wallbreakers in the tier (Medicham-mega, Crucibelle-mega, Alakazam-mega, Jumbao, etc), and it's utility (Defog, Knock Off, Will-o-Wisp, U-Turn momentum, etc) to it's premier Choice Scarf set, Kitsunoh is one of the most splashable, key pokémon in the current metagame. It should definitely be ranked higher in the VR.

Edit: adding some interesting Kitsunoh replays to reinforce my nomination!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/cap-517955428
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/cap-513302715
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-828647758
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-828720381
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-828896070

Last edited:
With the release of our 3 starters, I would like to remind everyone not to nominate them for a VR position straight away and to let the meta adjust to their addition before making any sweeping statements, as their increased usage right now likely isn't indicative of their actual influence on the meta. This also goes for Pokemon which are affected by the high 25 usage right now such as Weavile, Mega Lati@s and Tornadus-T which have all seen rises and falls in usage due to the new CAPs.

A second reminder that including replays, particularly when nominating Pokemon to A and above is highly beneficial, as it backs up your points which are otherwise just theory and speculation, so please try and get at the very minimum some good room tour replays of the mons your nomming!

On a side note: The VR team has decided to blacklist Pluffle, so please do not nominate it for a rating on the VR as it will be ignored. If you can provide multiple high-level tournament replays of Pluffle being used effectively, the VR team may consider ranking it in the future.

→S Disagree

The points I made in my earlier post still stand, and I still agree with them, however, I no longer think Pajantom should rise to S. The massive increase in Pursuit usage alone should be enough to keep Pajantom from rising to S, because Pursuit is definitely defining the tier as of right now. Furthermore, Pajantom builds are very constrained, because Pajantom usually requires extensive amounts of support, which can make it very hard to make a solid build with it.

→A Agree, but it should not be A+

Kitsunoh is a very solid Choice Scarf user, probably the best glue Pokemon currently, so I think it definitely deserves to rise. However, Kitsunoh should not rise to A+, because it's simply not comparable to Pokemon like Tornadus-T, Heatran, Arghonaut, Celesteela etc.

→A/A-

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with this because CAP seems to love Tapu Koko, but I will explain my thought process behind this nomination. People really love Choice Specs Tapu Koko (worse Krilowatt!!) but Tapu Koko can't break any half decently built team because of the prominence of fat Grass-types like Ferrothorn, Jumbao, and the increased usage of Tangrowth. Smokomodo also makes it really hard to click buttons. Furthermore, running Choice Specs means Tapu Koko cannot actually check Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Arghonaut well at all, because of the inability of running Roost. Then there's Defog sets, which aren't very good because of their generally less threatening nature and the fact that they can't Defog on Ferrothorn. Though, it's a much more consistent answer to Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Arghonaut so it's definitely my preferred set if I do end up using it. Lastly, Tapu Koko is obviously a very solid double screens lead, but this set should not be enough to keep Tapu Koko in A+ alongside way better Pokemon like Arghonaut, Heatran, Jumbao, Tornadus-T etc.

→A-

Ash-Greninja should drop even further for the same reasons it initially dropped. Fwiw, Tangrowth is also more common now.

→A-/B+

Clefable is very easy to abuse by common Pokemon like Mega Crucibelle, Heatran, Smokomodo, and Magearna. Furthermore, I don't think it's comparable to other Pokemon in A like Aurumoth, Mega Alakazam, and Magearna. For these reasons, I think Clefable should drop.

→A-

Many teams value Mega Diancie's ability to set Stealth Rock against the best Defogger, Tornadus-T, as well as to offensively pressure other common setters such as Arghonaut and Heatran. In general, Mega Diancie is a pretty big issue because many fat teams tend to rely on bulky Steel-types like Celesteela or Heatran to check Fairy-types, which Mega Diancie absolutely destroys.

→A-
→A

I'm putting these 2 together because I think they're pretty comparable as physical Ice-type breakers that each have their own appeal and it depends on the state of the meta which one is preferred. Following up on that, as of right now, this meta definitely favors Weavile over Syclant because of the sheer utility that Knock Off and Pursuit provide, so I think that Weavile(it should've been A- already) and Syclant should trade places on the VR.

→B

The fact that Gastrodon is A- makes me cry.

→B+/A-

Similarly to Weavile, Mega Tyranitar massively benefits from the increased utility that Pursuit provides for many teams. Additionally, the fact that Mega Tyranitar can set Stealth Rock up against Tornadus-T and keep them up against it is very valuable for many teams, because Tornadus-T is probably a top 3 Pokemon right now and simply the best Defogger. I think this on its own is enough reason to rise it to B+ at least and maybe even to A-.

→UR
Literally nobody uses these Pokemon so they shouldn't be ranked because that makes it seem like they're viable when we really don't have enough evidence to prove that.

I don't feel like writing much more so here's some things I also think should change:

→B+/B

Mega Scizor is bad and faces stiff competition from other mega evolutions.

→B-

Tapu Bulu struggles to stand out in the current metagame, even though it's a decent Trick Room abuser.

→B-/C

Mollux has a niche as Rain support, but it really isn't comparable to anything in B and is worse than a decent amount of Pokemon in B- too.

Pajantom to S : Agree

Pajantom itself is one of the main reason why so many team pack a Pursuit user (although Nect, Moth and Kit are there too), and it is in my opinion more meta defining than Crucibelle-Mega and Zygarde. Even with a Weavile, Colo, Tar-Mega or Malaconda, you won't be completely safe against Paj since you need to bring these on it, win the 50 / 50 afterwards and not regret to be locked on Pursuit if you're using a choice item with your Dark-type. I don't think that Paj needs a lot of support either (I think that almost every team should pack a Dark and Steel check) and brings so much defensive utility with its typing and ability, which means it fits on a lot of build very easily. It also offers a lot of opportunities since you can't double-switch after eating a Spirit Shackle, and the standard Z-move + Heal block variant just doesn't leave any Pokemon unharmed. Scarf and SpDef also do their jobs very well. Overall, it's splashability and effectiveness are enough for it to be easily S rank in my opinion.

Aurumoth to A+ : Agree

Just like Pajantom, I don't remember seeing a game where Aurumoth didn't do a hell of a job. In my opinion it's the most immediately threatening Pokemon in the tier (although Hoopa-U is pretty close to me) due to how quickly it can run out of control. It's very versatile and unpredictable as even with multiple potential checks you have to scout its coverage and / or play very smartly around it if you don't want to lose at least one Pokemon against it. It's very bulky physically and hitting it with a contact move is very risky if you didn't make sure you're facing a No Guard and it can patch its low SpDef with Quiver Dance. Hence it doesn't have a lot of reliable revnge killer and behind Screens / Veil it may be the scariest Mon in the tier to face. If you don't have a Unaware Clefable or a team that exerces a huge offensive pressure, you're almost sure that Aurumoth is a threat to watch out for.

Weavile to A / Syclant to A- : Agree

I still think that Colossoil is the better Dark-type overall due to how brutal Facade variants are and how useful its strong Sucker punch can be. However, Weavile is in my opinion the best Pursuit user atm since it naturally outspeeds Pajantom, non-scarf Kitsunoh and Lati@s-Mega and a more reliable priority in the form of Ice Shard that allows to RK SS Nect. The fast and strong Pursuit is extremely handy against a huge amount of offensive threats like Crucibelle-M, Medicham-M, Syclant... Just like Tomohawk, it can serve as a check to the three current S-rank (I said check, not counter), and being a Dark-type that threatens the aforementionned Tomo and Bao is pretty neat. It saddens me a bit to agree with Syclant going to A-, but the competition with Weavile and Greninja, prevalence of Arghonaut and other Steel-types makes the metagame a bit more hostile to it than for other Mon in A rank in my opinion.

Clefable to A- / B+ : Agree

Although it has some merits against things like Zygarde or Pajantom, Magic Guard Clef doesn't bring a extremely valuable Defensive utility to me as even said Pokemon can totally overpower it. In my opinion Unaware is the better variant in most case since its your best answer available to Aurumoth, but this same variant hasits fair share of trouble since Clefable's bulk is only average and it doesn't want to take residual damages if it wants to switch on the offensive threats it's meant to check.

Kitsunoh to A : Agree

Everybody knows that scarf Kitsunoh fits fairly easily on a lot of team due to its natural defensive presence, Speed Tier, Ghost STAB and access to U-Turn and other utility moves. I'm glad that WishKit gained some popularity (even though I think it deserves more), it isn't exactly easy to Pursuit trap with WoW, U-turn and Protect and checks a huge amount of Pokemon like Moth, Cruci, Lele, Medi, Lucha... i think that most people who played Aegislash once realise that Steel / ghost is a hell of a typing.

Tapu Koko to A : Agree

In my opinion Tapu Koko is nowhere near as splashable or effective as anything else in A+. It has a lot of common checks like Jumbao, Tangrowth, Ferro, Fidgit, Smokomodo, Gastro... I'm personnaly not a fan of stacking several Electric-types with it since I don't remember seeing one overpowering an opposing check, so in my opinion the existence of Krilowatt, Cyclohm and Caribolt is just more competition for Koko.

Gastrodon to B : Disagree

I won't mind too much if it end up in B+, but I think that Gastrodon is clearly above the other Pokemon in B, even if Hoopa-U, Zard-X and Stratagem are good enough to share a rank with Gastro in B+ in my opinion. Despite being exploited by thi,ngs like Nect or Paj (the second ione still takes a non negligeable amount from EQ), Gastrodon's defensive presence is humongus as it almost check 1/3 of the meta all by itself : Ninja, Tran, Koko, Kraken, Mag, Krilo, Manta, Cruci, Diancie, Strata... The only reason for it to drop in my mind is its lack of support moves like SR, but otherwise I think it's just as good as other defensive Mon like Zap or Zor in A-, if not better.

Scizor-M to B+ : Disagree

There's not as much competition for a mega-slot in USUM as it was in ORAS, and none of these compets with Zor for a defensive Steel-type. While it's more shaky against Lele than Celes or Mag, its Curse variant is pretty neat aginst Zygarde and thanks to Bullet Punch it's similar to Tomhawk in the sense that it checks the three current S rank as well as Paj. It's also arguably the best Steel-types against Syclant and Weavile and with some SpDef investment it can check Kazam-M too, although it means that you'll have to lower the physical bulk. Overall, I think it's definitely up there with other strong defensive staples like Gastro, Zapdos and Toxapex.

Among Pokemon that are nominated for an unrank, I think that Aero-M and Mimikyu still deserve a spot on the VR. The former as a very useful Flying STAB thats hits common physical walls like Hawk, Bao and Argho, a very fast Pursuit and a lot of coverage moves (although it makes it a case of 4MSS) whereas the second one can find its place into TR teams thanks to Disguise and the strong Shadow Sneak which threatens things like Paj and Nect which are very threatening for this playstyle. I obviously agree with Bulu moving down to B- since I nomineted this many times since Jumbao's introduction.

Are we allowed to talk about the CAP25s and changes that they may trigger now ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)