Resource Useful LC stuff / Introductions / Simple Questions Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Nope - EVs usually only make a difference every 80 EVs in level 5 beginning at a number depending on the ending of the base stat, which for Diglett's Speed is a 76, so any amount of EVs 76 + 80 + 80 = 236 or above will boost Diglett's Speed by the same amount. You have 510 EVs in total, and the analyses only account for the EVs that matter, so extra EVs between the EVs that matter and 510 EVs (in this case between 508 and 510) do not make a difference.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
Nope - EVs usually only make a difference every 80 EVs in level 5 beginning at a number depending on the ending of the base stat, which for Diglett's Speed is a 76, so any amount of EVs 76 + 80 + 80 = 236 or above will boost Diglett's Speed by the same amount. You have 510 EVs in total, and the analyses only account for the EVs that matter, so extra EVs between the EVs that matter and 510 EVs (in this case between 508 and 510) do not make a difference.
Thanks!

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Is Rain viable at all? I know Sun is better in almost every way due to having an automatic setter, but Rain seems pretty cool with the number of Swift Swimmers in LC.

Is Rain viable at all? I know Sun is better in almost every way due to having an automatic setter, but Rain seems pretty cool with the number of Swift Swimmers in LC.
Heysup runs a decent rain team. Other than that I haven't seen it around high ladder. It's hard running any weather teams currently; sun teams honestly just die to fletch.

no, i dont think sun is "hard to run", rather id think its the opposite. good sun teams should have a bird (fletch) check too o_o. along with that, while not necessairly makingit a "weather" team, hippo and snover are also viable mons (madokas sand + lillep as a good ex).

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Heysup runs a decent rain team. Other than that I haven't seen it around high ladder. It's hard running any weather teams currently; sun teams honestly just die to fletch.

Any good Sun team will have an answer to fletch. The usual one is magnemite or pawniard. Also, fletch does not like switching in on sprout as it takes at least 30-50% or even gets OHKOd with sludge bomb iirc. That means at least one mon is going down before you take down Bellsprout.

Any good Sun team will have an answer to fletch. The usual one is magnemite or pawniard. Also, fletch does not like switching in on sprout as it takes at least 30-50% or even gets OHKOd with sludge bomb iirc. That means at least one mon is going down before you take down Bellsprout.

The point is the fletch forces the switch so you cant even use the weather. You are forced to switch into something that can eat an acro and waste precious turns under the sun... If vulpix is gone ( normally is since diglett is so prevalent) and sun cant be set up again, the bellsprout is useless after the turns are up. Furthermore, magenmite and pawn arent even amazing checks. Anyone that is decent can see if pawn and mag are your checks, predict, and use overheat. Hell if they run 15/16 speed which is the most common and best set, they can acro ( break sturdy of magnemite) and then overheat. Sun teams are really hard to run in a meta with fletch being so prevalent. I never lose to sun teams unless there are major hax involved.

However, I guess sand can be pretty okay.

Sun likes having Pursuit Cranidos--it forces Fletchling out and Pursuit traps it, meaning that if rocks are up, it can't come in or it dies.

Because when the tier was introduced in stadium 2, it was meant to be fought with newly hatched egg Pokemon. These were, at the time, set to level 5.

Edit sorry if my answer sucks haha.
thanks for the answer!
i gotta wonder though: this isn't stadium 2 so why keep the limit?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Well basically it's one of the main premises of the metagame. We use first stages at level 5. It's a little like asking why OU is played with level 100s.

E: There's also some interesting balance reasons for level 5 instead of 100, but they're mostly theory based although some are considered according to the level 10 tour we did a while back. The short of it is that stall and defensive teams in general become much stronger.

Last edited:
Well basically it's one of the main premises of the metagame. We use first stages at level 5. It's a little like asking why OU is played with level 100s.
it seems like the pokemon could have access to more moves if they werent limited to level 5

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
it seems like the pokemon could have access to more moves if they werent limited to level 5
So I can actually address this part as well. The only limited moves are the following:

Event Moves with level locks (Aka Dream World and prior events that are at level 10). These generally conflict with Egg moves even if they were legal. There are also very few cases where this applies, the most notable one being Sludge Wave Gastly, although it still has access to Sludge Bomb.

Male-only and Genderless Pokemon level up moves introduced in Gen 4 or later.

And that's it. Level up moves are able to be bred down if both parents know the move (hence why male/genderless Pokemon, who must have a ditto parent, can't get their level up moves without the Gen 3 Pomeg Glitch), and of course tutor and TM moves are available at any level. LC isn't just tacklefests!

So I can actually address this part as well. The only limited moves are the following:

Event Moves with level locks (Aka Dream World and prior events that are at level 10). These generally conflict with Egg moves even if they were legal. There are also very few cases where this applies, the most notable one being Sludge Wave Gastly, although it still has access to Sludge Bomb.

Male-only and Genderless Pokemon level up moves introduced in Gen 4 or later.

And that's it. Level up moves are able to be bred down if both parents know the move (hence why male/genderless Pokemon, who must have a ditto parent, can't get their level up moves without the Gen 3 Pomeg Glitch), and of course tutor and TM moves are available at any level. LC isn't just tacklefests!
ahh i see, that makes sense.
hahaha tacklefest, that's pretty much what i was worried about.

I remember seeing something about the trick room archetype in the LC Team Frameworks thread, but then the thread died before anyone could add to that idea. What does trick room loom like in LC and is it as niche as I think it is?

Also the team frameworks thread didn't even make it to a second page rip in page.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There is one person who I've seen that has been very successful with Trick Room. It's very niche, and requires a team entirely built around it to really succeed, as there's nothing like Reuniclus that can set it up and then wreak havoc for a few turns while taking hits. Solosis is too frail to run LO like its evolution can and too weak with an Eviolite to make the most of Trick Room. This means that if Trick Room doesn't go up, the entire team is crippled, which is why it is rarely seen. Trick Room teams use Porygon and Spritzee as durable Trick Room setters, with Pokemon like Cubone who are normally too slow to be useful. If you're on Pokemon Showdown!'s LC room, look to see if user John76 is online (he may have shortened his name to John, I can't remember) as he is the resident expert of Trick Room in LC and can tell you more about it.

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
I remember seeing something about the trick room archetype in the LC Team Frameworks thread, but then the thread died before anyone could add to that idea. What does trick room loom like in LC and is it as niche as I think it is?

Also the team frameworks thread didn't even make it to a second page rip in page.
Trick Room is a weird playstyle, kinda like it is in OU. There's a few good TR setters, I personally like Spritzee and Slowpoke is pretty good too. Porygon is another option who is fairly threatening even under TR. Offensively there's a huge number of threats, Cubone becomes absolutely monstrous, Solosis is vaguely threatening, Clamperl can be IVed for TR, and then of course you've got the Huge Power mons.

Personally I really dislike Azurill, but it's almost always on TR since that's pretty much the only place it's really decent. Bunnelby, however, is a very interesting alternative who has slightly less bulk but more power and better moves while still being able to underspeed most things in LC. Other things for TR include Litwick. Especially in TangMa.

Overall TR is absolutely a very niche playstyle, it just doesn't last long enough to tear through teams and suffers from some matchup issues and the fairly high amount of priority available. It's fun to play with in LC Doubles though which is totally still a thing I swear!

e:sniped by hawkstar by seconds :(

Two questions (also so I'm posting twice in a row sue me I'm curious)

1) How can I get into the LCOMs? Like, where can i play them?

2) When do the digspect results go up?

Also why has there been nonstop suspects since like January? NU and RU doing like 50 each, we've done this one, and like if I remember correctly OU suspected something right before sun and moon was announced... Wow

1) How can I get into the LCOMs? Like, where can i play them?
The quickest way to find LCOM battles is by asking in the Little Cup room on main. There will usually be someone online that has a team for the OM you're interested in (I'm always down for ADV LC). I think there are some other servers that specifically host LCOMs as playable formats, but you can usually get by with the formats offered on main (like if you want to play LC Doubles, challenge someone to Smogon Doubles and agree to bring LC mons). Definitely check out this thread if you haven't already; it has a bunch of LCOM resources and should also give you a good idea of which users you can turn to for advice and battles.
2) When do the digspect results go up?
Suspect voting threads for non-OU tiers are usually open about 2-3 days. The voting thread for the Diglett suspect hasn't gone up yet, so it'll be a few more days until we have the results.
Also why has there been nonstop suspects since like January? NU and RU doing like 50 each, we've done this one, and like if I remember correctly OU suspected something right before sun and moon was announced... Wow
I suppose various tier leaders and councils from multiple tiers decided that there were suspect-worthy elements in their respective metagames, and they just happened to coincide with other suspect tests.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What are some good stall mons? I'm lookin at pory, spritzee, lileep, vullaby, and bulky regenerator foo as possibilities.
You've got most of them. A few other good ones are Hippopotas, bulky Ponyta, bulky Staryu if you have a lot of hazards, Ferroseed, and Foongus.

Celestavian

Smooth
Bunnelby is pretty good as a wallbreaker or a Scarf user. A wallbreaker set generally uses Life Orb or sometimes Choice Band, which makes it really tough to switch into, while a Scarf set functions as a revenge killer which is still really powerful. The reason Bunnelby isn't used super often or ranked anywhere in A is that it's hard to switch in, is very frail, and has a lot of important Pokemon that outspeed it, such as Ponyta, Mienfoo, Gastly, Abra, and Archen, all of which can pose a threat to Bunnelby. Bunnelby thus works well on Sticky Web teams and teams with slow U-turn users that can get it in safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)