Resource Useful LC stuff / Introductions / Simple Questions Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Now usually I'm a lurker who just crawls into the hole of another metagame and doesn't come out of it but I'd like to try spreading my wings a little and have come to LC to do so. I'm not entirely new to LC, I've been playing for a short while under RZL's rulebook mentor-ship and would consider myself at least semi-decent for the moment, however I'd love to learn more if possible and contribute wherever possible.

I ladder on alts so you probably won't see me on my PS! name on ladder but I look forward to seeing people on the ladder either way, as well as watching this tier's changes and adaptations in the future.

Also I'm pretty new at contribution on forums so I might be super bad, apologies there.

Great! Let me go into the back and ask them.

Skrelp is a very potent wallbreaker and it also has a nice Fighting resist and overall is just a good mon right now.

Bunnelby is a destructive force!!! I love Bunnelby, it deals so much damage and should be used in conjunction with either Scarf or with Sticky Web support.

Also welcome to smogon LC Zinnia !!!!!!!

Great! Let me go into the back and ask them.

Skrelp is a very potent wallbreaker and it also has a nice Fighting resist and overall is just a good mon right now.

Bunnelby is a destructive force!!! I love Bunnelby, it deals so much damage and should be used in conjunction with either Scarf or with Sticky Web support.

Also welcome to smogon LC Zinnia !!!!!!!
Bunnelby is not very good, its checked by very common threats like ferroseed, pumpkaboo xl, ponyta, timbur and fletching, its afraid to use its stab most of the time and its coverage moves are risky

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
HELLO EVERYONE I'M THE IDIOT NINJA
friend of Tricking and The Quasar, names you might've heard in this community

some people already know me because I played them in LC Gods Among Us, some might know me because of my random posts in swc threads, but if you don't know me I'm a random italian guy who's getting kinda bored of ORAS OU and has fun messing around in other tiers; loving ADV OU and ORAS LC so they're the main tiers I'm trying to learn now.

so that was the introduction, now about the simple question:
How do you build in LC? What are good, simple and reliable wincons to start from? I played a bunch of LC games, but I don't really know what's top tier and what's not, mainly because I only played one team I got from Tricking's team archive so my opinions about many mons are probably wrong and influenced by the match up they have with the team, so yeah if anyone could help me with where to start building my own teams it would be very nice.

HELLO EVERYONE I'M THE IDIOT NINJA
friend of Tricking and The Quasar, names you might've heard in this community

some people already know me because I played them in LC Gods Among Us, some might know me because of my random posts in swc threads, but if you don't know me I'm a random italian guy who's getting kinda bored of ORAS OU and has fun messing around in other tiers; loving ADV OU and ORAS LC so they're the main tiers I'm trying to learn now.

so that was the introduction, now about the simple question:
How do you build in LC? What are good, simple and reliable wincons to start from? I played a bunch of LC games, but I don't really know what's top tier and what's not, mainly because I only played one team I got from Tricking's team archive so my opinions about many mons are probably wrong and influenced by the match up they have with the team, so yeah if anyone could help me with where to start building my own teams it would be very nice.
This is a good thread to start at.

Really this is the most up-to-date info to find on the forum.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
This is a good thread to start at.

Really this is the most up-to-date info to find on the forum.
That thread is for BW LC and I don't see how that would help me, sadly

I checked the viability rankings, but I don't really know where to start. Like, okay, I can pick something like Timburr and hope that it reliably sweeps things after a couple Bulk Ups, but I don't know if in practice that actually happens and is a thing I can use as a wincon and build around. That's all I'm asking for: a good mon/core to start building from, I have teambuilding experiences in other metagames/tiers so I do know how teambuilding works, I really just need to get a way to apply that in a new tier.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
The Idiot Ninja said:
Hey, welcome to LC! I'm obviously not a representative welcome party but i feel like most people will be glad to have you around. Regarding your question, I'm going to go out of order and tell you what's generally considered "top tier" that you prolly should have answers to before moving into wincons. What you absolutely need to check in LC are Fighting-types, Fletchling, and Pawniard.

Fighting-types are omnipresent in LC as they serve a dual purpose: they provide solid checks to a lot of mons while simultaneously applying ample offensive pressure. Most users bring several checks to these mons (quickly, a list: Mienfoo as a pivot with a ton of options, from fast defensive to slow u-turns to scarf even to lo / band if you are kinky; Timburr as a menacing bulky sweeper; Croagunk as a general check to a lot of common mons with a plethora of priority to abuse; Pancham as a fat pivot with great coverage, etc). The checks tend to fall into three categories: fat Fairies (typically Snubbull and Spritzee); Flame Body Fire types (Larvesta is solid, Ponyta less so, although the latter has more uses in general); and Poison types (Gunk, Trubish). Special mention to Flying-types and Abra, which do not come in without solid prediction but are always good to threaten on the revenge.

Fletchling is infamous for surviving a suspect test (LIL BOOSIE OFF DEATH ROW) and returning to the tier. It's checkable, but you need to know what does it. Archen, Chinchou, and Pawniard are considered the "Big 3" of LC Fletch checks, being generally common and valuable while stopping Fletch relatively easily. Sundry Rock-type mons, Onix / Tirt et all, stop it as well; special shoutout to Omantye for using Fletchling as a launchpad to set up a Shell Smash. Mag and other Steel-types manage as well, although below Mag and Pawn their viability in general is questionable. Some users swear by Honedge, but i've never dabbled with the Sword, although your friend Tricking uses it and prolly can hit you up with some knowledge about it. One thing to note: Diglett has become more and more common as of late, and it pairs well with Fletchling - most Steel mons, Chou, rock-types etc. are trapped. Pawniard engages in Sub 50/50s, but that isnt a reliable way of avoiding trap KO's; Chou often runs Scarf, which means it isnt neccisarily trapped as long as the Dig user doesnt get his trapper in on a predicted electric move. Archen generally avoids Dig traps, but doesn't like Shadow Tag Gothita.

Pawniard is one of the most scary mons to see on the other side of the field. It can set up Swords Dances and run through teams with strong Sucker Punches and Iron Heads, though many offensive players forgo SD in favor of Stealth Rocks. The mains reason Pawn is a threat, though, comes from powerful Knock Offs, a move tp be wary of in LC. Since most pokemon run Eviolites, being Knocked Off reduces their defensive prowess tremendously. A large part of LC is knowing what mons to Knock Off on the foe's team, what you cant let take a knock on your own side, etc. Pawn is deadly with this - strong STAB off great Attack means it has a Knock to be feared, although it is generally stopped by Fighting- and Bulky Fire- types.

Wincons depend on the team you want. I recommend bulky offense to start. Every playstyle is viable in lc (although Stall is tricky to play with), but Bulky O is the most "standard" and will prolly help to learn the meta before you branch into HO and semistall and the like. Timburr is a great wincon, using Bulk Up and running through teams with Knock Off coverage and Mach Punch Prio. Suggested set uses an Eviolite, 76 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD w/ +SpD -SpA for the nature, Bulk up | Knock Off | Mach Punch | Drain Punch. For more offensive teams, Fletchling works well; check the on-site analysis for the best SD sweeper set. If you need more info just hit me up, I know Tricking and Lord Quas are cool so you can ask them too. Good luck!

Amaranth

UPL Champion
Thanks a lot for the advice!
I didn't really notice Fletchling as a huge threat because the team I took off Tricking had both Chinchou and Archen, that's exactly what I was afraid of. But everything should be fine now, knowing what's super spammed and threatening and what isn't. I do have another question though: how the heck is Pawniard strong in a meta filled with Fighting types? Doesn't he get completely rekt by smart doubleswitching/u-turns/simple switches onto mach punch users? Like, once he gets to fire a Knock Off it's a huge deal, but is it really that hard to prevent him from doing that?

That thread is for BW LC and I don't see how that would help me, sadly

I checked the viability rankings, but I don't really know where to start. Like, okay, I can pick something like Timburr and hope that it reliably sweeps things after a couple Bulk Ups, but I don't know if in practice that actually happens and is a thing I can use as a wincon and build around. That's all I'm asking for: a good mon/core to start building from, I have teambuilding experiences in other metagames/tiers so I do know how teambuilding works, I really just need to get a way to apply that in a new tier.
The methods of building a team from a BW thread are still valid in team building.

I use old and current resources. A lot of people get distracted by using the new flashy toys.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Thanks a lot for the advice!
I didn't really notice Fletchling as a huge threat because the team I took off Tricking had both Chinchou and Archen, that's exactly what I was afraid of. But everything should be fine now, knowing what's super spammed and threatening and what isn't. I do have another question though: how the heck is Pawniard strong in a meta filled with Fighting types? Doesn't he get completely rekt by smart doubleswitching/u-turns/simple switches onto mach punch users? Like, once he gets to fire a Knock Off it's a huge deal, but is it really that hard to prevent him from doing that?
Knock Off is #1 reason. It just hits too hard on Fairies and with Knock Off in most things, being a very powerful attacker, also hitting 16 Speed. Priority also means it can eventually Revenge Kill and beat faster Pokemon like Gastly if no Substitute. A great SD setter, has good physical bulk with eviolite, even surviving Timburr Mach Punch at full health, while LO lets him wallbreak incredibly hard. Can also have some cool, although less used moves, like Stealth Rock, Substitute and Thunder Wave.
Knock Off is essential in here. You must have at least one user user of this move in your team (2 is ideal) so you take out Eviolites and Berry Juices, both items that have really important roles in this meta, especially the former. Pawniard is just the most reliable user, even though it is easily forced out by Fighting-types.

moods

Banned deucer.
im really nee to the tier, so its really hard to judge it myself, is top 50 on the ladder a good spot (for someone who wants go go far in lc open) or is it more like top 10 or ladder is preety mediocre?

Melon

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
im really nee to the tier, so its really hard to judge it myself, is top 50 on the ladder a good spot (for someone who wants go go far in lc open) or is it more like top 10 or ladder is preety mediocre?
The ladder isn't a great way to judge how good you are as a player because often the competition on the ladder is very lacking, though it is a great way to improve as a player and test teams. There isn't a set place on the ladder you need to hit, just use it as a tool to help yourself improve as a player.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Try asking people on PS! room to test your teams with you and play at scripted tours! You may find there more of a challenge (or maybe not) and people may give you advice on improving your team as well.

Hello I am new to LC and go by Serperiority1 on pokemon showdown. I main UU but I came to LC after randomly signing up for the lc open (and won my first round n_n )and was instantly attracted to the tier and the cute mons. I really love snivy and there are a lot of cool option here which make the tier interesting. I hope to make a lot of new friends here n_n.

HEY I've been playing LC for maybe a year at this point (lol hi), and I'm really struggling with this question: which is more important? Ice, Electric, or Fire? You know, the punch moves basically??

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
In general there's a couple of quickbans, but so far almost every Pokemon has been available for a short time. Scyther is mostly likely not going to be unbanned for any period of time however, since it's just so obviously overwhelming that it would only delay the development of the metagame to have it in.

If I remember correctly, this gen we started with Scyther banned, and then there were a few games done with Sneasel that showed how utterly broken it was, so it wasn't really ever legal. Then it was also quickbanned. This led to the first suspect test of Tangela and Yanma, and the rest is history.

e: ninja'd by tier leader

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So what are we gonna do about all of madoka's LC circuit spots? Will they just go to other runners up?

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So what are we gonna do about all of madoka's LC circuit spots? Will they just go to other runners up?
According to the OP of the thread, if there are less than 16 qualifiers, then invites will be handed out depending on placings in some of the tours.

Hey so I am new to LC and just made a smogon account. I played around a little bit on guest accounts and want to get involved in the LC community! If you see me on showdown feel free to challenge me.
Welcome and hope to see you around the little cup room :)

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello Everyone, I am new to Smogon but have been lurking here and playing on PS for about 1 month. I have peaked with a 81 gxe but am looking to improve my game and join a really cool LC community. What drew me to LC was the cute mons (lets be honest thats what drew us all here xd) and also the offensive type of game as compared to other tiers. Hopefully we all get off on the right foot and I hope to make friends with all of you here :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)