Data Usage-Based Tier Update for Mid-November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimaticLunatic

I COULD BE BANNED!
I think unbaning everything from RU could serve you guys well. Adding little more fire to this pot may end up overcooking it, but you may never know. It worked somewhat for UU.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Aren't Malamar and Froslass supposed to quickdrop to NU in this shift, like what happened with 'OU to PU' Ditto?
I think it's because on the day Ditto rose to OU from NU, it should have dropped to PU. It didn't see enough use in NU, but because OU used it, it went up.
Froslass and Malamar were used decently in NU and wouldn't have dropped to PU, so therefore they go down slowly
This might be a bit confusing and i'm sorry if I'm wrong or didn't explain it good enough

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
are the rubl pokémon (lucario, sirfetch’d, etc) going to be unbanned from ru? similarly to what happened with the uubl pokémon just a couple weeks ago?

Something I find hilarious is that in the NU top 10, the Pokemon from spots 10 to 2 had 11-15% usage, but then you have Crobat at #1 with over 40% usage. Crobat was just too good for the tier, but everyone knew he was going to rise soon, so no one made any effort to ban him.

Yeah, it's crazy, but this is just the natural cycle. Snorlax went from over 90% usage in OU to UU in 3 generations, just like how BW was 3 generations ago. And this is going to continue. Landorus-T, who was #1 in usage for dozens of straight months, very well may fall to UU sooner than you'd think.
The drops caused by the DLCs don't depict the true metagames at all. We have OU staples in RU now because no bans are applied and the new toy syndrome combined with the increased usage cutoff is pushing 80% of mons of every tier down each month. Maybe it's just me but the tiers will all be back in Alpha when the drop wave happens. The current tiers are not representative, we will see what kind of impact power creep had on Gen 8 when the tiers return to their normal state after broken stuff gets banned and we return to usage cycles of a month.

To Marty, can we get back to the lowered cutoff of 3,41% please? I feel like the increased cutoff was justified when we just had 400 pokemon but now we have a decent amount of mons and the tiers are getting smaller than they need to be, dropping a huge amount of stuff to ZU

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
btw,, i have two more questions: (1) what will happen to other BL pokémon, such as guzzlord & kinglet in publ? will they stay there or move down? (2) what are the full usage stats for ZU? i wanna see how my boi stonjourner did ;w;

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Aren't Malamar and Froslass supposed to quickdrop to NU in this shift, like what happened with 'OU to PU' Ditto?
Yes they are, good eye! It's hard to keep track of everything these days...
To Marty, can we get back to the lowered cutoff of 3,41% please? I feel like the increased cutoff was justified when we just had 400 pokemon but now we have a decent amount of mons and the tiers are getting smaller than they need to be, dropping a huge amount of stuff to ZU
Please read this again: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-for-generation-8.3657121/
Also, a happy side effect of smaller tiers is that it allows lower tiers to be more practical despite the reduced Dex size.
Emphasis mine; the new cutoff was decided before Dexit was ever whispered at E3 last year. It's a coincidence that it also happened to be convenient for actually having fully evolved Pokemon in the lowest tiers.

There's no reason to overreact to what is happening right now, because the same thing happened after Home and DLC1. In like 3 months or so, once every tier goes through this "unban everything" craze to see what stays broken, you should be seeing real, actual stability. The 3.41% cutoff won't help with any of this, and would actually make things worse since dropping the cutoff mid-gen would have a similar effect to un-releasing DLC and yanking a dozen Pokemon out of each lower tier.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
The only thing I can say about Ubers is that it's probably the most stable metagame right now. Also, the EXACT ten mons I predicted to be top ten were top ten:
Yveltal- It checks Caly-S. It's the only Pokemon that reliably checks Caly-S. We're done here.
Calyrex-Shadow- Anyone that plays Ubers and have half a brain knows what this is and how we got here.
Zacian-C- Does basically the same thing as it did. Shouldn't need an explaination.
Dusk Mane Necrozma- Yeah, NDM is a top mon that it always was. It gives invaluable defensive support against Xerneas and Zacian-C.
Kyogre- See: BW Kyogre. Though these days newer arrivals after BW gives it trouble.
Eternatus- This is still the defensive beast it was. Dynamax Cannon still hits hard, it still have good coverage and recovery, and TSpikes are still annoying.
Ditto- HO is insane in Ubers right now and Ditto can revenge non-sashed Caly-S among other things and countersweep.
Ho-Oh- The legendary tank birb have arrived. Personally my favorite mon to use in Ubers, this thing's special bulk is just plain amazing. Sacred Fire is still a ridiculous move, and HDB is a true godsend. Recover/Roost + Regenerator is a stupid OP recovery metheod and renders it just about unkillable. Toxic and Whirlwind are still good options, and it actually can Defog thanks to HDB.
Zygarde-C- Take one look at its stats. Then look at Thousand Arrows and Dragon Dance. After that, examine options like Coil, Glare, Toxic, and Dragon Tail. Still a decent sweeper and one hell of a defensive beast.
Xerneas- GeoXern is back. Though instead of Pdon it have to fight Zacian-C. Still, Geomancy sets are back and back with vengeance! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dear RU,

We in UU are sorry, but we remind you that this is mostly OU's fault, like always. Blame them please.

Sincerely,
UU

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, RU, then UU somehow kept pretty much all of the mons that we think are the most broken OU drops from beginning of the month. I do so look forward to more Hawlucha sweeps....

Golbat was released into NFE tier(technically ZU), and rose up to NU on November 1st. Now it didn't get enough usage to remain in NU, so shouldn't it go back all the way back to ZU?

ViZar

your toast is burned
Golbat was released into NFE tier(technically ZU), and rose up to NU on November 1st. Now it didn't get enough usage to remain in NU, so shouldn't it go back all the way back to ZU?
ZU isn't a official tier yet. On November 1st, no mon dropped to ZU, because it's basically just a "other metagame" and not official. Yesterday, Zu received mon that should have dropped to ZU, if it was official.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ZU isn't a official tier yet. On November 1st, no mon dropped to ZU, because it's basically just a "other metagame" and not official. Yesterday, Zu received mon that should have dropped to ZU, if it was official.
I mean, this is sort of true? But that doesn't take away that we are noting drops to ZU in this thread and that there was a question about whether Golbat dropped or not. Not that I know if it should have, but just responding 'ZU isn't official' isn't helpful.

ViZar

your toast is burned
I mean, this is sort of true? But that doesn't take away that we are noting drops to ZU in this thread and that there was a question about whether Golbat dropped or not. Not that I know if it should have, but just responding 'ZU isn't official' isn't helpful.
Yes ZU is adressed by many, but Marty didn't adress it in his quickdrops, so no quickdrops went to ZU. Furthermore, it's a NFE Pokémon. If something like Delibird rose up, it would quickdrop down again, but Golbat isn't tiered like the other mons, so it will be PU first then ZU, or rather NFE, again. Same goes for Clefairy. Furthermore, ZU is technically Untiered, so mons don't drop to ZU, they become Untiered. I hope that in the near future, it will be become a new tier, but for now it's not.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but Golbat got enough usage in both NU and PU to avoid the cutoff, so it would go to PU because it still would’ve stayed PU if NU didn’t take it
I checked back on the data and I can confirm that this is correct. Golbat would drop to PU due to having enough usage there. I wouldn't think it'd matter whether it's official or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)