Data Usage-Based Tier Update for June 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Home definitely inflated Treads' usage. Right? It shot up in usage because people used it ALOT in those two days right?
Not as much as you would think, actually. In my partial run using May 1st to 25th, it already had more usage than last month and still comfortably OU. With the few days of HOME, even with slightly higher usage it went down one position.
Code:
| 32 | Iron Treads | 4.86790% | 100151 | 5.569% | 82014 | 5.805% |

Pre-HOME Treads is just a noobtrap, but now it's actually ok at beating mag and still exerting some offensive pressure, unlike other mag checks such as tera dark clodsire. Honestly though once mag goes and people realise that heatran is a better steel type and lando-t is a better ground type it should drop

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With HOME and all the new toys joining the fray the sheer amount of new toy syndrome OU will have this month should hopefully push Treads away from the public attention in lieu of everything new we've got and that will be enough to push Iron Treads out of OU usage entirely and down to UU.

Having a sudden influx of new mons can be a good thing in situations like this.

Why was Iron Tread considered bad in the first place?

I don't using both Tread & Tusk in OU because mainly i'm playing screen HO, but I have more problem facing Tread than Tusk.
Tusk can lose 1on1 vs Grimsnarl using spirit break with reflect is on, but Grimsnarl cannot defeat Tread because of its steel typing, not to mention Tread have better speed then Tusk that it can spin in front of base 100 speed mon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why was Iron Tread considered bad in the first place?

I don't using both Tread & Tusk in OU because mainly i'm playing screen HO, but I have more problem facing Tread than Tusk.
Tusk can lose 1on1 vs Grimsnarl using spirit break with reflect is on, but Grimsnarl cannot defeat Tread because of its steel typing, not to mention Tread have better speed then Tusk that it can spin in front of base 100 speed mon
Iron Treads really just suffers from this problem called "being outclassed".

Like sure, it's a decent and functionally usable Pokemon that does what it does well, and it admittedly has a few advantages over its main competitor, Great Tusk, but 99% of the time your team is going to want to use Great Tusk (and now Landorus-T has joined as another competitor for an all-round universal bulky Ground-type). Great Tusk contributes more to a team under 99% of circumstances and is so exceptionally good at what it does that it's basically a universal glue as a Ground-type that contributes a variety of roles to a team, to a point where there's very rarely a reason not to use it.

Iron Treads has a few advantages like its Steel-typing and Speed, but those are situational when Tusk is just a better fit on OU teams under almost every circumstance.

And as I said, Landorus-Therian is back as well who has historically before Great Tusk been OU's universal glue Ground-type, and despite losing a few things is now likely gonna share the role of universal bulky Ground glue and leaves even less room for Iron Treads in the tier.

So it's not really that it's an ineffective Pokemon, but in a case like this where you have a competitor who is so good at what it does that it's almost always a must-have on a team (in this case, Great Tusk), you need an incentive to want to use Treads over Tusk and the incentive to use Treads is very little comparatively when you look at what Tusk can do and bring to a team.

Landorus-T and Great Tusk both being here and being as excellent at what they do and hence splashable means Treads, having as little to stand out from them as it does, generally has very little incentive to actually be used on a team because very rarely is there a situation where you could use Treads and that teamslot isn't just better off being given to Tusk or Landorus-T.

In essence it's just outclassed. If it were to drop to UU it would fit in much better as it would have less competition and would be able to reign as a strong bulky Ground-type in there, boasting good firepower and bulk combined with a great Speed tier. Right now all they have are Hippowdon and Donphan and Donphan is...obviously inferior to Treads lol.

In the post-HOME OU meta, I think Iron Treads will gain more of a niche over Great Tusk for these reasons that Iron Treads could not enjoy in pre-HOME OU:
  • Outspeeds Lando-T
    • Great Tusk also cannot OHKO Defensive Lando-T without a boosting item:
    • 252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 272-324 (71.2 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • And since Defensive Lando-T cannot OHKO even Iron Treads back...
    • 0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Treads: 254-302 (79.1 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Iron Treads can take advantage of being faster than Lando-T to outspeed and OHKO offensive Lando-T before Lando-T deals grievous damage:
    • 252 Atk Iron Treads Ice Spinner vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 344-408 (107.8 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • Better Enamorus match-up
    • Great Tusk gets outsped and OHKOed by Enamorus Moonblast unless it uses Assault Vest or something even stranger:
    • 252 SpA Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 524-620 (120.7 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • Iron Treads speed ties with Enamorus, and Boots Enamorus cannot OHKO Iron Treads:
    • 252 SpA Enamorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Treads: 270-318 (84.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Better defensive synergy with Zamazenta-H FWIW
    • Great Tusk and Zamazenta-H share weaknesses to Flying, Psychic, and Fairy due to both of them being Fighting-types
    • Zamazenta-H and Iron Treads do not share any weaknesses
    • Great Tusk only speed tying with Baxcalibur also doesn't help, making those shared weaknesses with Zamazenta-H quite apparent and easily hit in practice
  • Better Zapdos match-up
    • Great Tusk gets outsped and OHKOed by offensive Zapdos Hurricane unless it uses Assault Vest or stranger:
    • 168 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 542-638 (124.8 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • Iron Treads escapes the OHKO by Zapdos Heat Wave unless Zapdos is Modest or uses a boosting item:
    • 252 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Treads: 270-318 (84.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Throw in Iron Treads outspeeding Zapdos, and at least Treads can do something before getting KOed
  • Outspeeds Arcanine-H
    • Arcanine-H naturally gets OHKOed by Earthquake unless it Teras
    • Only Iron Treads can outspeed Arcanine-H and therefore reduce its damage output to Extreme Speed or Scarf anything in the 1-vs-1
I remember all of these mattering in post-HOME OU games, and these may be why I've had more success with a team with Iron Treads (and Zamazenta-H) in it than teams with Great Tusk in them in the post-HOME meta.

In the post-HOME OU meta, I think Iron Treads will gain more of a niche over Great Tusk for these reasons that Iron Treads could not enjoy in pre-HOME OU:
  • Outspeeds Lando-T
    • Great Tusk also cannot OHKO Defensive Lando-T without a boosting item:
    • 252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 272-324 (71.2 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • And since Defensive Lando-T cannot OHKO even Iron Treads back...
    • 0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Treads: 254-302 (79.1 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Iron Treads can take advantage of being faster than Lando-T to outspeed and OHKO offensive Lando-T before Lando-T deals grievous damage:
    • 252 Atk Iron Treads Ice Spinner vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 344-408 (107.8 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • Better Enamorus match-up
    • Great Tusk gets outsped and OHKOed by Enamorus Moonblast unless it uses Assault Vest or something even stranger:
    • 252 SpA Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 524-620 (120.7 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • Iron Treads speed ties with Enamorus, and Boots Enamorus cannot OHKO Iron Treads:
    • 252 SpA Enamorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Treads: 270-318 (84.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Better defensive synergy with Zamazenta-H FWIW
    • Great Tusk and Zamazenta-H share weaknesses to Flying, Psychic, and Fairy due to both of them being Fighting-types
    • Zamazenta-H and Iron Treads do not share any weaknesses
    • Great Tusk only speed tying with Baxcalibur also doesn't help, making those shared weaknesses with Zamazenta-H quite apparent and easily hit in practice
  • Better Zapdos match-up
    • Great Tusk gets outsped and OHKOed by offensive Zapdos Hurricane unless it uses Assault Vest or stranger:
    • 168 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 542-638 (124.8 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • Iron Treads escapes the OHKO by Zapdos Heat Wave unless Zapdos is Modest or uses a boosting item:
    • 252 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Treads: 270-318 (84.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • Throw in Iron Treads outspeeding Zapdos, and at least Treads can do something before getting KOed
  • Outspeeds Arcanine-H
    • Arcanine-H naturally gets OHKOed by Earthquake unless it Teras
    • Only Iron Treads can outspeed Arcanine-H and therefore reduce its damage output to Extreme Speed or Scarf anything in the 1-vs-1
I remember all of these mattering in post-HOME OU games, and these may be why I've had more success with a team with Iron Treads (and Zamazenta-H) in it than teams with Great Tusk in them in the post-HOME meta.
The fall of Great Tusk (2023)

You use assault vest treads, not whatever treads set you're running, but true that Tusk is kinda bad right now and the only competitor with rapid spin is Torkoal (useless unless you're using sun) or Avalugg-H (tera turn 1 or die) or pick something from UU, so I could see treads and hazard stack become far more prevalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)