SV OU Urshifu at Home. Quaquval Balance Peaked 1905 ELO, #5 on SV OU Ladder. (Featuring Choice Band Roaring Moon) (Updated Version in Replies))

Favourite Gen 9 Starter to Use?

• Meowscarada

• Skeledirge

• Quaquaval

Results are only viewable after voting.
:sv/Quaquaval: :sv/Chi-Yu: :ss/Amoonguss: :ss/Corviknight: :sv/Roaring Moon: :sv/Clodsire:
Today I present my very first RMT for Gen 9 OU. Some of you might remember me from Gen 8, and I am very much looking forward to making teams this generation as well. Enough with the talk, after Palafin was banned, I was curious on experimenting with Quaquaval, a mon that was heavily outclassed by Palafin, and struggled to have a niche when there was just a straight up better option. After the ban though, I thought this thing could have potential. I was unsure of what to build, however I managed to make something I feel is pretty strong right now.

1. Proof of Peak
2. Teambuilding Process
3. Individual
Pokémon
4. Threats
5. Replays
6. Conclusion

Proof of Peak:

Screenshot (429).png

Teambuilding Process:
:Quaquaval: :Chi-Yu:
I looked through the tier, seeing what Pokémon could give Quaquaval trouble. Physical walls like Dondozo, Amoonguss, and Slowbro. Thus, I thought that Chi-Yu would be a solid starting core. Quaquaval helps deal with thing like Ting-Lu, and Unaware Clodsire, which are things that can give Chi-Yu trouble.
:Quaquaval: :Chi-Yu: :Amoonguss:
I did not like how weak my team was to strong physical attackers like Iron Valiant (Swords Dance Version), or Dragonite. Amoonguss I felt would be a solid fit, as it completed our FWG core, and could deal with these threats.
:Quaquaval: :Chi-Yu: :Amoonguss: :Corviknight:
Corviknight is a personal favourite of mine this generation, due to the lack of good flying types. This team didn't have a reliable ground resist, so I felt this was a no brainer. Corviknight also packs Defog and U-Turn, providing good support for our team.
:Quaquaval: :Chi-Yu: :Amoonguss: :Corviknight: :Roaring Moon:
While I liked our offensive core, I still felt like it could use more. Water Absorb Clodsire is very troublesome for our team. Choice Band Roaring Moon also makes stall 100 times easier, since Adamant Crunch can 2HKO almost everything on the opposing team. Our Defensive core, dealt with Iron Valiant very solidly, so I figured Roaring Moon could be a solid addition.
:Quaquaval: :Chi-Yu: :Amoonguss: :Corviknight: :Roaring Moon: :Clodsire:
To round out the team, we have Clodsire. Clodsire is great in this defensive core, letting us have a hard wall for Gholdengo, Scovillain, and other special attackers. Clodsire can struggle with Great Tusk, Iron Treads, and Roaring Moon, which I feel the rest of the team can deal with pretty well. Lastly we needed a rocks setter, so I felt that Clodsire would be a strong option.

Individual Pokémon:
:sv/Quaquaval: :Leftovers:
Quaquaval @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Roost
I run a bulky setup sweeper set with this guy. Aqua Step is a nice signature move, with a solid 80 base power, and guarantees a +1 speed boost. I go with Bulk Up over Swords Dance as the extra bulk can come a long way, and help win 1v1s vs Dragonite, and others. Close Combat is a nice secondary STAB to hit Roaring Moon and such. Roost is just a way of having reliable recovery. The tera type is fairy here, because Fairy let's us take moves from Breloom, Iron Valiant, Dragapult etc. This tera type also let's us keep a resistance to Dark, which is super important vs Chien Pao. Speed Evs are for outrunning Chien Pao at +1.

:sv/Chi-Yu: :Choice Scarf:
Chi-Yu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beads of Ruin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Overheat
- Psychic / Memento
Chi-Yu serves as speed control, and a special wall breaker for the team. I run a pretty standard set here, with the Tera typing being Dark, helping boost our already strong Dark Pulses. The last move can be Psychic or Memento. Psychic is fine, but I often don't find myself using it much. The 4th slot I find to not be used often, so its honestly up to preference. Memento is good when you are on low HP, and can't come back in due to hazards being up. Memento can lower the attacking stats of opposing Pokémon, then let you bring in Quaquaval and sweep. However, this is very situational.

:ss/Amoonguss: :Rocky Helmet:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play
- Spore
Amoonguss is one of our physical walls for the team. Amoonguss is important when dealing with Great Tusk, Meowscarada, and other physical threats. Giga Drain is a STAB move that let's us deal damage, and recover health back at the same time. Clear Smog let's us slow down sweepers such as Dragonite and Espathra. Foul Play can deal decent damage to Gholdengo, and can annoy physical attackers. The tera type might be a little odd. However, Annihilape is one of the biggest threats to this team. While Normal does make you weak to Drain Punch, these Evs prevent a 2HKO if unboosted. You can Spore Annihilape, and Clear Smog it, and not having to worry about Rage Fist helps a ton in this matchup.

:ss/Corviknight: :Leftovers:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
Corviknight is our other physical wall, who is dedicated to dealing with Chien Pao, Kingambit etc. Defog is nice for removing hazards, U-Turn helps us get our breakers in safely, and Body Press is reliable for dealing with Chien-Pao. While not running Brave Bird makes Iron Valiant more difficult, we have 2 more poison types, so I figured it should be ok. The tera type is pure flying. You rarely ever end up using tera on Corv, but pure flying let's us become a much better check to Great Tusk and Breloom.

:sv/Roaring Moon: :Choice Band:
Roaring Moon @ Choice Band
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- U-turn
Roaring Moon is our physical wall breaker, which helps rip holes in the team for Quaquaval to clean up. Crunch is gonna be the main move you spam, so tera dark is good for powering it up. Dragon Claw is a secondary STAB, helping us hit opposing Roaring Moon's, and other dragons. Earthquake is good coverage to hit Kingambit, and U-turn is to keep up momentum.

:sv/Clodsire: :Heavy-Duty Boots:
Clodsire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
Clodsire is our Stealth Rock setter for the team. Toxic helps cripple opposing mons like Great Tusk and Ting Lu. Heavy-Duty Boots are important, because it allows you to check Gholdengo and Chi-Yu without having to worry about hazards. The tera type is water because it allows us to have a water resistance (Since we are Unaware), and let's us resist scary Specs Chi-Yu sets in the sun. The 8 speed let's us outrun opposing Clodsire, and Torkoal.

Threats:
:sv/Espathra:
This thing feels like it might be the Nidoking of this gen for me. Anyways, this thing can be extremely scary when it is faster than everything, and has multiple boosts. Your best way to deal with this, is to tera your Clodsire, and Toxic it. Due to Unaware, Clodsire should be able to shrug off Stored Power if it's neutral.
:sv/Annihilape:
This guy is very scary for the team, and is the single reason why I have normal tera on Amoonguss. Your best way to deal with him, is to tera Amoonguss (Depending on how strong Rage Fist is), and Spore and Clear Smog. While Annihilape is asleep, it allows for free entry from something like Quaquaval, Roaring Moon, or Chi-Yu, which can deal massive amounts of damage to it.
:sv/Skeledirge:
This thing doesn't seem super scary at team preview, however, a well played Skele can be very annoying to beat. Tera Fairy stops your dark moves from killing it, and stops Quaquaval from dealing good damage. I suggest you try to land a Toxic on this guy.
:ss/Dragapult:
The specs set isn't very difficult to deal with, however, the Hex and DD sets can be scary. DD can make Dragapult very difficult to kill, due to outrunning Chi-Yu, and being able to deal massive damage. Hex when it burns you can Sub Up, and beat Clodsire 1v1. Chi-Yu takes heavy damage from Dragon Darts, which can be extremely annoying. In this matchup, try to avoid having Corviknight vs Dragapult happen.

Replays:
Vs Sun https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1726602791-gi0pdl6qw4sba3oon0xqua3pn8jetpgpw
Quaquaval Sweep https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1725709350-5jp22pjjrdr9p5zi8x2408pviu1je3spw
Vs Cyclizar Offense https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1725775230-0tvo2lpr6vl3maebyi29suzcarvtkx9pw
Vs Standard Offense https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1725782603-nvgxkfjfcz2jyu8imr0zi0jtm1icwrmpw
Quaquaval Sweep Again https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1725723106-ckc625mxorp5l59kxg98zw23rth9111pw
Chi Yu Helps Quaquaval Sweep https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1725810893-fwgu3wa82q5ui84te9ny5jzjayxlfnopw
Close Call vs Sticky Web https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1726570113-84oiua1phu12l8hlwsdu1gz6thmfwmnpw
Quaquaval beats Dragonite 1v1 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1725713658-aaf60erfuhevxfv9ied0rtkzsz98ftwpw

Conclusion:
If you read all the way, I appreciate it. I plan on making more teams, just like how I did in Gen 8. If you have anything you want me to build, you can pm me on Smogon if you want. Either way, enjoy the team.
Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/d35aaef0aa5710f0

Last edited:
Wow this team is really sick! I never really have quaquaval a chance, but after using this team, I realize how strong it can be! What do you think about iron head on roaring moon?

Yes, but the main Rapid Spin users (Donphan forms) can be scary for Gholdengo to come in on, meanwhile Corviknight can't threaten it at all.
Was just about to say this ^ goldy is much less likely to come in on the typical spinner for fear of what else those mons do. Maybe band duck with spin over uturn or ice spinner would help this, though I realize bulk up duck is like the centerpiece.

Edit: could also go spin over Roost but again I seriously doubt that's worth it on this specific team. I think best bet is remove goldy, always uturn on it, take initiative vs hazard stackers to punish the time they take

This team is a lot of fun to use! Feels quite balanced overall and can win against most matchups I ran into. Is there any solution for Grimmsnarl though? Taunt + Screens seems to cripple the team quite heavily, especially if accompanied by Cyclizar and a setup sweeper like Dragonite or Iron Hands. Are these matchups auto lose, or am i missing something?

This team is a lot of fun to use! Feels quite balanced overall and can win against most matchups I ran into. Is there any solution for Grimmsnarl though? Taunt + Screens seems to cripple the team quite heavily, especially if accompanied by Cyclizar and a setup sweeper like Dragonite or Iron Hands. Are these matchups auto lose, or am i missing something?
These matchups are difficult, and I probably should have mentioned them. Amoonguss is your best bet for temporarily stopping Iron Hands and Dragonite, although Ice Moves can be annoying. You can try Ting-Lu if these matchups are too difficult to deal with.

It might be nice to go with tera fire/dark/ghost on chi-yu, theres no reason not to and once every 1000 games it might come up. I find that ghost in particular can be good to save some otherwise lost games, for example vs brelloom lategame or an idbp garcagnalc

It might be nice to go with tera fire/dark/ghost on chi-yu, theres no reason not to and once every 1000 games it might come up. I find that ghost in particular can be good to save some otherwise lost games, for example vs brelloom lategame or an idbp garcagnalc
It is Tera Dark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)