BSS Ursaluna

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Winneluna.jpg

[SET]
Guts Attacker (Ursaluna) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Level: 50
Tera Type: Normal / Fairy / Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant / Brave / Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake / Headlong Rush
- Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Trailblaze
- Ice Punch / Play Rough / Protect / Bulk Up

[SET COMMENTS]

* With Flame Orb, Guts, and an incredible Attack stat, Ursaluna is an extremely brutal wallbreaker!

* **Earthquake versus Headlong Rush**: Earthquake is an easier move to recommend, avoiding contact with Rocky Helmet and preserving Ursaluna's hefty bulk. However, Headlong Rush's extra power can better fit the playstyles of Ursaluna that may aim for a sweep rather than just wallbreaking, such as Trick Room and Jolly variants.

* **Drain Punch versus Close Combat**: Drain Punch doesn't offer much extra coverage, but it's Ursaluna's only decent way of restoring health. Close Combat's sheer power does make it decent coverage though and can particularly punish Heatran for Terastallizing into a Grass-type.

* **Ice Punch versus Play Rough**: Once Ursaluna is burned, Ice Punch will deal so much damage to Dragonite that even the bulkiest sets can not restore all their health with Roost. Play Rough isn't nearly as effective against Dragonite, but when used with Tera Fairy, Ursaluna can now OHKO Urshifu-R before Flame Orb kicks in.

* **Protect**: While Ursaluna is powerful, it needs the Flame Orb activation to truly wallbreak, so Protect can help when switching it in isn't easy.

* **Bulk Up versus Swords Dance**: Bulk Up is the prefered setup move for making Ursaluna difficult to revenge kill with physical attacks, but Swords Dance does offer some truly absurd wallbreaking potential, allowing Ursaluna to OHKO even physically defensive Ting-Lu with Facade! Swords Dance can also be a better fit on Trick Room teams due to the limited amount of turns Ursaluna has to sweep.

* **Trailblaze**: If using Jolly Ursaluna, Trailblaze lets it outspeed key threats such as Zapdos, both Urshifu formes, Mimikyu, and even Speed tie with Timid Thundurus-T!

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Ursaluna benefits from Terastallization, but it's not integral to its wallbreaking prowess.

* **Normal**: Beyond getting rid of Ground's annoying weaknesses, Tera Normal turns Ursaluna into an even more fearsome wallbreaker,

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy does a great job of protecting Ursaluna from powerful Fighting-type attacks and Dragonite's Outrage.

* **Ghost**: While Tera Ghost does make the matchup against Flutter Mane and Gholdengo worse, the Fighting immunity can turn a match around in the blink of an eye.

* **Water**: Tera Water is the prime Tera type to use when in need of an Ice and Water resistance, which is helpful against Urshifu-R and Chien-Pao.

* **Fighting**: If using Drain Punch, Tera Fighting is a reasonable option for restoring even more health, at the cost of being rather weak against Flutter Mane.

* **Grass**: Tera Gass is a niche option that lets Ursaluna deal extra damage with Trailblaze while resisting Water-type attacks and taking Spore before Flame Orb activates.

Alternate EV Spreads
========

* **Brave and a 0 Speed IV versus Adamant**: On a Trick Room team, this lets Ursaluna underspeed some major Pokemon such as Ting-Lu and Dondozo. However, some Trick Room teams may still prefer Adamant to outspeed such slow Pokemon if they also function outside Trick Room.

* **140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD with Adamant or Brave**: This more specially defensive EV spread survives some powerful attacks even after burn damage, including Timid Choice Specs Tera Fairy Flutter Mane's Moonblast, Thundurus-T's Grass Knot, Timid Greninja's Hydro Pump, and Modest Chi-Yu's Overheat.

* **4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe with Jolly**: Maximizing Speed may seem strange on such a slow Pokemon, but Ursaluna makes fantastic use of it, making Trailblaze viable due to outspeeding even offensive variants of Zapdos after a boost and letting it wallbreak common Pokemon that often don't invest in enough Speed such as Dragonite and Heatran.

Minor Optimizations
=======

* **Female Gender**: Since Ursaluna uses contact moves, a female gender will prevent it from being attracted to the rare Cute Charm Enamorus.

[SET]
Bulky Bear (Ursaluna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts / Bulletproof
Tera Type: Fairy / Water
Adamant / Careful / Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Yawn / Bulk Up
- Play Rough / Ice Punch / Bulk Up
- Protect / Drain Punch / Bulk Up

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ursaluna's great overall bulk makes it a good choice for either spreading Yawn or setting up Bulk Up.

* **Play Rough**: Play Rough is Ursaluna's best Attack against both Urshifu formes, which are common switch-ins to bulkier Ursaluna sets.

* **Ice Punch versus Avalanche**: Ice Punch is the most reliable option for dealing big damage to Dragonite, but Avalanche deals so much damage if Ursaluna is attacked that even Defensive Mulsticale Dragonite is unable to Roost back to full health.

* **Protect**: Protect has great synergy with Yawn and Leftovers, letting Ursaluna put foes to sleep with less risk to itself.

* **Drain Punch**: In addition to being a decent option for Ursaluna to restore its health with, it can be especially effective with Bulk Up, making Ursaluna difficult to take down.

Other Options
========

* **Taunt**: Taunt's a great support move for shutting down common support Pokemon like Ting-Lu, but it's rather difficult to fit in.

* **Flame Orb and Facade**: Using Guts on a bulkier set may be very counter-intuitive, but with Yawn, this can make Ursaluna very difficult to check.

Tera Types
=======

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Ursaluna is fully capable of functioning without Terastallization, but with it, it has far fewer weaknesses.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy is a fantastic response against the Fighting-type attacks that threaten Ursaluna and means Choice Band Dragonite can no longer 2HKO with Outrage.

* **Water**: Tera Water is Ursaluna's best shot against Chien-Pao thanks to the Icicle Crash resistance, and it helps against Urshifu-R as well.

* **Fighting**: If using Bulk Up and Drain Punch, Tera Fighting gives Ursaluna a prime opportunity to keep restoring its health, though at the cost of doing far worse against Flutter Mane and Mimikyu.

Abilities
========

* **Guts**: Guts is a fantastic option for punishing Will-O-Wisp from foes like Rotom-W and works well for punishing Toxic Spikes.

* **Bulletproof**: This more niche option gives Ursaluna immunity to several major moves, such as Focus Blast, Bullet Seed, Sludge Bomb, and Shadow Ball when Terastallized, particularly helping against Gholdengo if using Tera Water or Fighting.

Alternate EV Spreads
========

* **140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD with Adamant* This more specially bulky spread allows Ursaluna to take on major special threats, avoiding KOs from the likes of Timid Choice Specs Tera Fairy Flutter Mane, Choice Specs Gholdengo's Make It Rain, and Timid Greninja's Hydro Pump.

* **252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD with Careful**: This spread allows Ursaluna to avoid a 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Flutter Mane's Moonblast after Leftovers recovery.

* **252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe with Impish**: Maximizing Ursaluna's physical defense means Tera Water will usually avoid a 2HKO from Choice Band Urshifu's Close Combat after Leftovers recovery.

Minor Optimizations
=======

* **Female Gender**: A female gender is slightly optimal for avoiding infatuation from the rare Cute Charm Enamorus.

[SET]
Assault Vest (Ursaluna) @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Water / Fairy / Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Play Rough / Ice Punch / Avalanche
- Ice Punch / Avalanche / Facade

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ursaluna's excellent power and bulk make it a good, if unexpected, user of Assault Vest.

* **Drain Punch**: Drain Punch's bit of extra healing is useful even without being a STAB move.

* **Play Rough**: Play Rough is Ursaluna's best option for punishing Urshifu-R switching in.

* **Ice Punch versus Avalanche**: Ice Punch is preferred due to its reliable base power, but Avalanche can threaten to damage Multiscale Dragonite past the ability to recover HP back with Roost.

* **Facade**: While Facade is rather weak without the reliability of Flame Orb, it's a devestating way to punish status moves and Toxic Spikes.

* **EV Spread**: The bulk investment allows Ursaluna to avoid a 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Flutter Mane's Moonblast after Stealth Rock damage. Some other Special Attacks it takes on include avoiding a 2HKO from defensive Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, avoiding a 2HKO from two consecutive Make It Rains from Choice Specs Gholdengo, and avoiding an OHKO from Tera Water Iron Bundle.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Terastallization isn't needed for Ursaluna to make good use of Assault Vest, but it can help against some common physical threats.

* **Water**: Tera Water covers Ursaluna's big Water and Ice weaknesses, helping a great deal against Urshifu-R and Chien-Pao.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy is Ursaluna's best choice for a Fighting resistance, in addition to helping against powerful users of Outrage such as Choice Band Dragonite and Garchomp.

* **Ghost**: If using Bulletproof, Tera Ghost is a good way to flip the tables on Fighting-types without compromising Ursaluna against Flutter Mane and Gholdengo.

Abilities
======

* **Guts**: Even if Guts isn't guaranteed to be activated, switching Ursaluna into status moves like Will-O-Wisp can turn it into a wallbreaker in a pinch.

* **Bulletproof**: Bulletproof gives Ursaluna a very useful immunity to some attacks that hit it hard, such as Bullet Seed and Focus Blast. The Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball immunity is also fantastic when Terastallized.

Minor Optimizations
=======

* **Female Gender**: While Cute Charm Enamorus is very rare, there's no drawback in using a female gender to become immune to this ability.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/theorymon.29010/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/greilmercenary9.336524/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ken.594478/

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got this big bear ready for a check!

Just a note: I realize the 2nd set is weird. There's certainly both bulky Bulk Up and Yawn sets, but I feel like those sets often sorta mix and match and even combine, so I wasn't really sure how to split them up for now.

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I would make a mention of close combat in the wallbreaker section, while it doesn’t provide much extra coverage it is another highly powerful move for Ursaluna, and provides a pretty consistent way to hit Heatran regardless of if it tries to tera against it, save for the odd tera bug trans.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy does a great job of protecting Urshifu from powerful Fighting-type attacks and Dragonite's Outrage.
I think you spelled Ursaluna wrong here lol

I would maybe slash in bulletproof on the AV set, I know there’s a mention of it but I think it is also worth a slash on. Just semantics.

overall I think this is very well done as usual, QC APPROVED

Theorymon

I would make a mention of close combat in the wallbreaker section, while it doesn’t provide much extra coverage it is another highly powerful move for Ursaluna, and provides a pretty consistent way to hit Heatran regardless of if it tries to tera against it, save for the odd tera bug trans.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy does a great job of protecting Urshifu from powerful Fighting-type attacks and Dragonite's Outrage.
I think you spelled Ursaluna wrong here lol

I would maybe slash in bulletproof on the AV set, I know there’s a mention of it but I think it is also worth a slash on. Just semantics.

overall I think this is very well done as usual, QC APPROVED

Implemented this stuff! In particular, the AV set missing Bulletproof as a slash-in was actually a mistake, it was supposed to be there!

Anyways, I know greilmercenary9 wants to weigh on this later but he said it might take a bit of time. For now, I'll put this into GP, and implement any checks of his later (and get GP involved I guess if they're huge changes, but otherwise they might be more in the vein of Dex CMS edits).

GP Team

Okay, I'm finally getting around to taking a look at this. So here we go:

The Wallbreaker set mostly looks good. I'm not sure I think Protect should be in the first slot on Move 4 over options like Play Rough or Ice Punch, but I think you can make a fair argument for it at least, and it definitely needs to be listed somewhere on the set.

You need to add the EV spread of 140 HP/252 Atk/116 SpDef with a Brave nature on this set as a major TR option. This spread is taken from a fairly well distributed rental team by Sigma, and it hits some interesting SpDef benchmarks like surviving a Specs Flutter Mane Tera Fairy Moonblast even after 1 turn of Flame Orb chip (92.3% max), surviving Grass Knot or super effective Tera Blast from unboosted Thundurus-T (82.5% max), surviving Specs Gholdengo Make it Rain on 15/16 rolls after 1 turn of burn chip (94.6% max), surviving the rare Specs Goodra-H Draco Meteor (90.1% max), surviving Modest Scarf Chi-Yu Overheat (92.8% max) and Modest Specs Chi-Yu Flamethrower (95.9%), surviving unboosted Timid Greninja Hydro Pump (89.6% max), and having a decent chance to survive unboosted Iron Bundle Hydro Pump (86-102.2%). (Can I stop now? Haha.) Obviously that's more than needs to be quoted in the actual analysis, but I think it shows that the spread itself works pretty well.

It's also worth noting on EV spreads that not all TR Ursaluna necessarily want to run Brave. Outspeeding stuff like Ting-Lu, Dondozo, Clodsire, and a number of other bulky balance or semi-stall mons outside of TR is valuable even on TR teams, and at least not running a -Speed nature keeps that intact unless those mons were specifically creeping Base 50s. In addition, TR modes might prefer Swords Dance over Bulk Up just because of the general urgency of getting kills on TR turns (this has some similarity to your point on Earthquake vs Headlong Rush), although Bulk Up clearly has the advantage in usage at present.

With regard to Trailblaze, you mentioned other mons like Urshifu that usually run max Speed in the moves section to show that that +1 max speed Luna outruns max speed Base 100s like Zapdos by a point, but this isn't as well covered in the EV spread section. I think that it would be good idea to specify "max speed" Zapdos since you don't have the extra context there to make it obvious and Zapdos tends to be seen in more defensive roles at the moment since offensive Zapdos has to compete with Thundurus-T in similar roles. It's obviously a very minor thing though.

The Bulky Bear set mostly looks fine as is to me. My only real suggestion with it would be that the Sigma spread (just with an Adamant nature) might be just as useful on this set as it is on the Wallbreaker variant.

The AV set also looks good, and it hits several nice calcs against special attackers as well, such as avoiding the 2HKO from defensive Rotom-W Hydro Pump, surviving Tera Water Bundle Hydro Pump, not being 2HKOed by two consecutive Specs Gholdengo Make It Rains (first does 58.2% max, while the -1 follow up only does 38.3% max) and so on. I won't belabor the point again, but I think the spread looks good and that you can mention that it hits some benchmarks against other special attackers (I might specifically mention the Gholdengo calc since Luna obviously hits it SE and in an emergency you can potentially actually switch in on it and beat it).

In any case, well done as usual on the overall analysis. QC Approved 2/1 (Haha.)

Last edited:

Theorymon

Okay, I'm finally getting around to taking a look at this. So here we go:

The Wallbreaker set mostly looks good. I'm not sure I think Protect should be in the first slot on Move 4 over options like Play Rough or Ice Punch, but I think you can make a fair argument for it at least, and it definitely needs to be listed somewhere on the set.

You need to add the EV spread of 140 HP/252 Atk/116 SpDef with a Brave nature on this set as a major TR option. This spread is taken from a fairly well distributed rental team by Sigma, and it hits some interesting SpDef benchmarks like surviving a Specs Flutter Mane Tera Fairy Moonblast even after 1 turn of Flame Orb chip (92.3% max), surviving Grass Knot or super effective Tera Blast from unboosted Thundurus-T (82.5% max), surviving Specs Gholdengo Make it Rain on 15/16 rolls after 1 turn of burn chip (94.6% max), surviving the rare Specs Goodra-H Draco Meteor (90.1% max), surviving Modest Scarf Chi-Yu Overheat (92.8% max) and Modest Specs Chi-Yu Flamethrower (95.9%), surviving unboosted Timid Greninja Hydro Pump (89.6% max), and having a decent chance to survive unboosted Iron Bundle Hydro Pump (86-102.2%). (Can I stop now? Haha.) Obviously that's more than needs to be quoted in the actual analysis, but I think it shows that the spread itself works pretty well.

It's also worth noting on EV spreads that not all TR Ursaluna necessarily want to run Brave. Outspeeding stuff like Ting-Lu, Dondozo, Clodsire, and a number of other bulky balance or semi-stall mons outside of TR is valuable even on TR teams, and at least not running a -Speed nature keeps that intact unless those mons were specifically creeping Base 50s. In addition, TR modes might prefer Swords Dance over Bulk Up just because of the general urgency of getting kills on TR turns (this has some similarity to your point on Earthquake vs Headlong Rush), although Bulk Up clearly has the advantage in usage at present.

With regard to Trailblaze, you mentioned other mons like Urshifu that usually run max Speed in the moves section to show that that +1 max speed Luna outruns max speed Base 100s like Zapdos by a point, but this isn't as well covered in the EV spread section. I think that it would be good idea to specify "max speed" Zapdos since you don't have the extra context there to make it obvious and Zapdos tends to be seen in more defensive roles at the moment since offensive Zapdos has to compete with Thundurus-T in similar roles. It's obviously a very minor thing though.

The Bulky Bear set mostly looks fine as is to me. My only real suggestion with it would be that the Sigma spread (just with an Adamant nature) might be just as useful on this set as it is on the Wallbreaker variant.

The AV set also looks good, and it hits several nice calcs against special attackers as well, such as avoiding the 2HKO from defensive Rotom-W Hydro Pump, surviving Tera Water Bundle Hydro Pump, not being 2HKOed by two consecutive Specs Gholdengo Make It Rains (first does 58.2% max, while the -1 follow up only does 38.3% max) and so on. I won't belabor the point again, but I think the spread looks good and that you can mention that it hits some benchmarks against other special attackers (I might specifically mention the Gholdengo calc since Luna obviously hits it SE and in an emergency you can potentially actually switch in on it and beat it).

In any case, well done as usual on the overall analysis. QC Approved 2/1 (Haha.)
Thanks a lot! I not only implemented this stuff, I also slashed in Play Rough on the first set (mainly, because of how Tera Fairy Ursaluna OHKOs Urshifu-R before Flame Orb kicks in that way).

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
Monotype Leader
1/1 GP Team done
add remove comment
View attachment 532852

[SET]
Guts Attacker (Ursaluna) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Normal / Fairy / Ghost
Adamant / Brave / Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake / Headlong Rush
- Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Trailblaze
- Ice Punch / Play Rough / Protect / Bulk Up

[SET COMMENTS]

* With Flame Orb, Guts, and an incredible Attack stat, Ursaluna is an extremely brutal wallbreaker!

* **Earthquake versus Headlong Rush**: Earthquake is an easier move to reccomend recommend, avoiding contact with Rocky Helmet and preserving Ursaluna's hefty bulk. However, Headlong Rush's extra power can better fit the playstyles of Ursaluna that may aim for a sweep rather than just wallbreaking, such as Trick Room and Jolly variants.

* **Drain Punch versus Close Combat**: Drain Punch doesn't offer much extra coverage, but it's Ursaluna's only decent way of restoring health. Close Combat's sheer power does make it decent coverage though (rc) and can particularly punish Heatran for Terastallizing into a Grass-type.

* **Ice Punch versus Play Rough**: Once Ursaluna is burned, Ice Punch will deal so much damage to Dragonite that even the bulkiest sets can not restore all their health with Roost. Play Rough isn't nearly as effective against Dragonite, but when used with Tera Fairy, Ursaluna can now OHKO Urshifu-R before Flame Orb kicks in.

* **Protect**: While Ursaluna is powerful, it needs the Flame Orb activation to truly wall break wallbreak, so Protect can help when switching it in isn't easy.

* **Bulk Up versus Swords Dance**: Bulk Up is the prefered set-up setup move for making Ursaluna difficult to revenge kill with physical attacks, but Swords Dance does offer some truly absurd wallbreaking potential, allowing Ursaluna to OHKO even physically defensive Ting-Lu with Facade! Swords Dance can also be a better fit on Trick Room teams due to the limited amount of turns Ursaluna has to sweep.

* **Trailblaze**: If using Jolly Ursaluna, Trailblaze lets it outspeed key threats such as Zapdos, Urshifu-S or -R or "both Urshifu formes", and Mimikyu, and even speedtie Speed tie with Timid Thundurus-T!

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Ursaluna benefits from Terastallization, but its it's not intergal integral to its wallbreaking prowess.

* **Normal**: Beyond getting rid of Ground's annoying weaknesses, Tera Normal makes turns Ursaluna into an even more fearsome wallbreaker,

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy does a great job of protecting Ursaluna from powerful Fighting-type attacks and Dragonite's Outrage.

* **Ghost**: While Tera Ghost does make the matchup against Flutter Mane and Gholdengo worse, the Fighting immunity can turn a match around in a the blink of an eye.

* **Water**: Tera Water is the prime Tera type to use if when in need of an Ice and Water resistance, which is helpful against Urshifu-R and Chien-Pao.

* **Fighting**: If using Drain Punch, Tera Fighting is a reasonable option for restoring even more health, at the cost of being rather weak against Flutter Mane.

* **Grass**: Tera Gass is a niche option that lets Ursaluna deal extra damage with Trailblaze while resisting Water-type attacks (rc) and take taking Spore before Flame Orb activates.

Alternate EV Spreads
========

* **Brave and a 0 Speed IV versus Adamant**: If using Ursaluna on On a Trick Room team, this lets Ursaluna underspeed some major Pokemon such as Ting-Lu and Dondozo. However, some Trick Room teams may still prefer Adamant to outspeed such slow Pokemon if they have non-Trick Room modes also function outside Trick Room.

* **140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD with Adamant or Brave**: This more specially defensive EV spread survives some powerful attacks even after burn damage, including Timid Choice Specs Tera Fairy Flutter Mane's Moonblast, Thundurus-T's Grass Knot, Timid Greninja's Hydro Pump, and Modest Chi-Yu's Overheat.

* **4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe with Jolly**: Maximizing Speed may seem strange on such a slow Pokemon, but Ursaluna makes fantastic use of it, making Trailblaze viable due to outspeeding even offensive variants of Zapdos after a boost (rc) and letting it wall break wallbreak common Pokemon that often don't invest in enough Speed (rc) such as Dragonite and Heatran.

Minor Optimizations
=======

* **Female Gender**: Since Ursaluna uses contact moves, a female gender will prevent it from being attracted to the rare Cute Charm Enamorus.

[SET]
Bulky Bear (Ursaluna) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy / Water
Adamant / Careful / Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Yawn / Bulk Up
- Play Rough / Ice Punch / Bulk Up
- Protect / Drain Punch / Bulk Up

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ursaluna's great overall bulk makes it a good choice for either spreading Yawn or setting up Bulk Up.

* **Play Rough**: Play Rough is Ursaluna's best Attack against both Urshifu formes, who which are common switch-ins to bulkier Ursaluna sets.

* **Ice Punch versus Avalanche**: Ice Punch is the most reliable option for dealing big damage to Dragonite, but Avalanche deals so much damage if Ursaluna is attacked that even Defensive Mulsticale Dragonite is unable to Roost back to full health.

* **Protect**: Protect has great synergy with Yawn and Leftovers, letting Ursaluna put foes to sleep with less risk to itself.

* **Drain Punch**: In addition to being a decent option for Ursaluna to restore its health with, it can be especailly especially effective with Bulk Up, (ac) to make making Ursaluna difficult to take down.

Other Options
========

* **Taunt**: Taunt's a great support move for shutting down common support Pokemon like Ting-Lu, but it's rather difficult to fit in.

* **Flame Orb and Facade**: Using Guts on a bulkier set may be very counter-intuitive, but with Yawn, this can make Ursaluna very difficult to check.

Tera Types
=======

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Ursaluna is fully capable of functioning without Terastallization, but with it, it has far less fewer weaknesses.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy is a fantastic response against the Fighting-type attacks that plague threaten Ursaluna (rc) and means Choice Band Dragonite can no longer 2HKO with Outrage.

* **Water**: Tera Water is Ursaluna's best shot against Chien-Pao thanks to the Icicle Crash resistance, and it helps against Urshifu-R as well.

* **Fighting**: If using Bulk Up and Drain Punch, Tera Fighting gives Ursaluna a prime oppertunity opportunity to keep restoring its health, though at the cost of doing far worse against Flutter Mane and Mimikyu.

Abilities
========

* **Guts**: Guts is a fantastic option for punishing Will-O-Wisp from foes like Rotom-W (rc) and works well for punishing Toxic Spikes.

* **Bulletproof**: This more niche option gives Ursaluna an immunity to several major moves, such as Focus Blast, Bullet Seed, Sludge Bomb, and Shadow Ball when Terastallized, particularly helping against Gholdengo if using Tera Water or Fighting.

Alternate EV Spreads
========

* **140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD with Adamant* This more specially bulky spread allows Ursaluna to take on major special threats, avoiding KOs from the likes of Timid Choice Specs Tera Fairy Flutter Mane, Choice Specs Gholdengo's Make It Rain, and Timid Greninja's Hydro Pump.

* **252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD with Careful**: This spread allows Ursaluna to avoid a 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Flutter Mane's Moonblast after Leftovers recovery.

* **252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe with Impish**: Maximizing Ursaluna's physical defense means Tera Water will usually avoid a 2HKO from Choice Band Urshifu's Close Combat after Leftovers recovery.

Minor Optimizations
=======

* **Female Gender**: A female gender is slightly optimal for avoiding infatuation from the rare Cute Charm Enamorus.

[SET]
Assault Vest (Ursaluna) @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Water / Fairy / Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Play Rough / Ice Punch / Avalanche
- Ice Punch / Avalanche / Facade

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ursaluna's excellent power and bulk make it a good, if unexpected, (ac) user of Assault Vest.

* **Drain Punch**: Drain Punch's bit of extra healing is useful even without being a STAB move.

* **Play Rough**: Play Rough is Ursaluna's best option for punishing Urshifu-R switch-ins switching in.

* **Ice Punch versus Avalanche**: Ice Punch is preferred due to its reliable base power, but Avalanche can threaten to damage Multiscale Dragonite past the ability to recover it HP back with Roost.

* **Facade**: While Facade is rather weak without the reliability of Flame Orb, its it's a devestating way to punish status moves and Toxic Spikes.

* **EV Spread**: The bulk investment allows Ursaluna to avoid a 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Flutter Mane's Moonblast after Stealth Rock damage. Some other Special Attacks it takes on include avoiding a 2HKO from defensive Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, avoiding a 2HKO from two consecutive Make It Rains from Choice Specs Gholdengo, and avoiding an OHKO from Tera Water Iron Bundle.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Terastallization isn't needed for Ursaluna to make good use of Assault Vest, but it can help against some common physical threats.

* **Water**: Tera Water covers Ursaluna's big Water and Ice weaknesses, helping a great deal against Chien-Pao and Urshifu-R Urshifu-R and Chien-Pao swapped to match Water & Ice.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy is Ursaluna's best choice for a Fighting-type resistance, in addition to helping against powerful users of Outrage such as Choice Band Dragonite and Garchomp.

* **Ghost**: If using Bulletproof, Tera Ghost is a good way to flip the tables on Fighting-types without compromising Ursaluna against Flutter Mane and Gholdengo.

Abilities
======

* **Guts**: Even if Guts isn't guaranteed to be activated, switching Ursaluna into status moves like Will-O-Wisp can turn it into a wallbreaker in a pinch.

* **Bulletproof**: Bulletproof gives Ursaluna some very useful immunities a very useful immunity to some attacks that hit it hard, such as Bullet Seed and Focus Blast. The Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball immunities are immunity is also fantastic with Terastallization when Terastallized.

Minor Optimizations
=======

* **Female Gender**: While Cute Charm Enamorus is very rare, there's no drawback in using a female gender to become immune to this ability.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/theorymon.29010/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/greilmercenary9.336524/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ken.594478/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)